Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Was Jamie Dukes out of line on Ryan Mallett? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=42051)

skinsfaninok 04-14-2011 10:01 PM

Was Jamie Dukes out of line on Ryan Mallett?

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/14/jamie-dukes-calls-ryan-mallett-a-caucasian-street-guy/]Jamie Dukes calls Ryan Mallett “a Caucasian street guy” | ProFootballTalk[/url]

I'm sorry but I find this pretty racist IMO. Dukes should be in hot water for this statement

Dirtbag59 04-14-2011 10:06 PM

Re: Was Jamie Dukes out of line on Ryan Mallett?

Finally White QB's are getting discriminated against. What an exciting time to be white. Always wanted to be able to play the race car but my "Irish Race Card" has been expired since the end of the Industrial Revolution.

Take that Warren Moon. We're victims to...now....YEAH!

SmootSmack 04-14-2011 10:11 PM

This is probably one of those "just don't say it" scenarios, because it won't end well. His intention probably wasn't how it came out.

Mallett has actually grown on me a little, still don't think he's the right for this team. And I know it's tough to get a true test of someone's character this time of year, but all the interviews I've seen, read, heard with him he's come off as much smarter and approachable than I had originally thought.

Dirtbag59 04-14-2011 10:15 PM

Funny thing is if Warren Moon doesn't bust out the platinum race card in defense of Newton, then Dukes comments go unnoticed. Maybe a white supremacist or two with enough money for cable would be offended but outside of that virtually no one would have cared. Anyway just one of those cases where Dukes totally meant to say something else and it came out wrong. He's still alright in my book.

skinsfaninok 04-14-2011 10:16 PM

Well imagine if steve young said Cam Newton was a "black street guy" he'd be fired asap. And funny how dukes forgot about the Dog killer and former prisoner Mike Vick.

Lotus 04-14-2011 10:19 PM

Dukes needed to find different words or clam up.

He's slipping. The other night he started talking about how the Skins needed to find receiving complements for McNabb and I thought, "Uh, Jamie..."

Dirtbag59 04-14-2011 10:20 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;793605]Well imagine if steve young said Cam Newton was a "black street guy" he'd be fired asap. And funny how dukes forgot about the Dog killer and former prisoner Mike Vick.[/quote]

Well Millen called Jaws a pollack and he still has a job with the Mothership. I'm all for PC and equality but sometimes we just have to laugh at ourselves. I mean come on, a white QB being the victim of racism is kind of funny. Especially on the heals of NewtonGate.

skinsfaninok 04-14-2011 10:30 PM

White or black that's a bush league comment , people act like whites are way better off but that's not true at all

diehard 04-14-2011 10:41 PM

I take this as somewhat of a compliment for a football player, black or white.

Longtimefan 04-15-2011 08:29 AM

another example of the scrutiny athletes are subjected too on a regular basis. From his alleged drug use (addiction) to his leadership skills, it's impossible for him to escape his past, however, the remark does not strike me as racist.

With so many in the industry trying to make news now days, nobody and no thing is off limits.

freddyg12 04-15-2011 08:38 AM

[quote=Dirtbag59;793600]Finally White QB's are getting discriminated against. What an exciting time to be white. Always wanted to be able to play the race car but my "Irish Race Card" has been expired since the end of the Industrial Revolution.

Take that Warren Moon. We're victims to...now....YEAH![/quote]

LOL! Dirt, yes it has been some time since NINA signs were in storefront windows! I still think the wonderlic could be culturally biased against celtic potato farmers.

freddyg12 04-15-2011 08:39 AM

[quote=Dirtbag59;793604]Funny thing is if Warren Moon doesn't bust out the [B]platinum race card[/B] in defense of Newton, then Dukes comments go unnoticed. Maybe a white supremacist or two with enough money for cable would be offended but outside of that virtually no one would have cared. Anyway just one of those cases where Dukes totally meant to say something else and it came out wrong. He's still alright in my book.[/quote]

lol! What did Moon say about Newton? missed that

Jontrem 04-15-2011 08:52 AM

Skin color has got to stop mattering in this country. I am so sick of both racists and people who see racists everywhere. This comment should have gotten a collective shrug of the shoulders from everyone but today everyone is so freaking sensitive to every comment involving skin color that this somehow becomes a story.

GMScud 04-15-2011 11:55 AM

I don't think it's all that racist, but IMO the point here is the double standard we see so often in today's society with regard to race issues between blacks and whites.

More often than not, if a white guy is referred to by a black guy as "white boy" or a white guy does something athletic and you hear "not bad for a white guy," most people don't bat an eye. Just like Jamie Dukes can call Mallett a white street guy, and no one outside the blogosphere cares.

But if Rich Eisen had called Julio Jones a "black boy," or street, hood, ghetto, nappy headed, or some other term of that nature, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would be beating down his door.

Me personally, I don't really give a damn. Skin color has never really mattered to me. But the double standard annoys me.

Eknox 04-15-2011 12:12 PM

It's not racist when u hear him talk he does sound streetwise. Everyone's trying to condemn Jamie as a racist for that are you kidding me? He never even mentioned color. Racists are known to be very ignorant. I can see wrong choice of words. Jamie actually likes Mallett as a pro QB. So can we talk Football of move this crap to the good ole boy section?

Son Of Man 04-15-2011 12:16 PM

Asserting that this comment is somehow racist is, at minimum, a stretch. It appears to be a clumsily stated viewpoint of Mallet coming off as a little street (which some may view as uncommon given Mallet's skin color). The invocation of Eminem is corny, but far from ill intentioned.

BTW- There is definately a double standard on televison for racial toned comments (and gender related comments for that matter). It is a course correction (sometimes over correction) for the systematic mistreatment of those segments of the population. Black Americans were denied voting rights, basic civil liberties and discrimnated against in various other ways (didn't even mention slavery) - thus American society is hypersensitive to any comments that may invoke bad feelings or open old "wounds". Same goes for women who suffered through many the same hardships and still fight for equal pay and opportunities. Thus, the double standard for what comments are tolerated.

BTW- White males do not "have it easier" in America today. Our system is relatively fair across the board for males. However, if we take a total view of American history, we can hardly say the white males were somehow disadvantaged. (other than certain immigrant factions during the late 1800's and early to mid 1900's).

That being said, I disapprove of the race/gender card being thrown out when it is unwarranted. Regardless of who is doing the throwing.

GMScud 04-15-2011 12:17 PM

[quote=Eknox;793673]It's not racist when u hear him talk he does sound streetwise. Everyone's trying to condemn Jamie as a racist for that are you kidding me? [B]He never even mentioned color.[/B] Racists are known to be very ignorant. I can see wrong choice of words. Jamie actually likes Mallett as a pro QB. So can we talk Football of move this crap to the good ole boy section?[/quote]

I agree that this isn't worth making a big stink over, but to be fair, he did mention color. "Caucasian street guy" is what he called Mallett.

Eknox 04-15-2011 12:17 PM

[quote=GMScud;793668]I don't think it's all that racist, but IMO the point here is the double standard we see so often in today's society with regard to race issues between blacks and whites.

More often than not, if a white guy is referred to by a black guy as "white boy" or a white guy does something athletic and you hear "not bad for a white guy," most people don't bat an eye. Just like Jamie Dukes can call Mallett a white street guy, and no one outside the blogosphere cares.

But if Rich Eisen had called Julio Jones a "black boy," or street, hood, ghetto, nappy headed, or some other term of that nature, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would be beating down his door.

Me personally, I don't really give a damn. Skin color has never really mattered to me. But the double standard annoys me.[/quote]
Wow so that's what u think of us? Sounds like it does matter to you.
You want than to lose his job? Will that make u feel better?

Player_HTTR 04-15-2011 12:21 PM

Ahh... who cares, the description seems pretty accurate. No different than saying a black guy off the streets is "a African-American street guy." If he said he was white devil cracker-ass wannabe, then there might be an issue. Even if the white guy race card credit limit went up a little with a black man in the White house, they need to stay in the wallet for something bigger than this.

GMScud 04-15-2011 12:23 PM

[quote=Eknox;793678]Wow so that's what u think of us? Sounds like it does matter to you.
You want than to lose his job? Will that make u feel better?[/quote]

What????

Re-read my post. I said I don't think it was particularly racist, and that skin color doesn't matter to me. I just simply pointed out a double-standard that without a doubt exists in society.

GMScud 04-15-2011 12:27 PM

[quote=Eknox;793673]It's not racist when u hear him talk he does sound streetwise. Everyone's trying to condemn Jamie as a racist for that are you kidding me? He never even mentioned color. Racists are known to be very ignorant. I can see wrong choice of words. Jamie actually likes Mallett as a pro QB. So can we talk Football of [B]move this crap to the good ole boy section?[/B][/quote]

For the record you're the one throwing around "good ole boy" terms all the while being hyper sensitive. Proving my point for me? Methinks.....

MTK 04-15-2011 12:35 PM

I don't think Dukes had any racist intentions behind his thinking, probably just wasn't worded the best way.

skinsfaninok 04-15-2011 12:39 PM

All I was saying is Dukes said a racist comment which IMO it was. I'm not saying he's racist but again if A white analyst said that he would be in hot water. Fair is fair folks

MTK 04-15-2011 12:42 PM

The double standard exists for a reason. I really don't want to get into it but in this case I think Duke's comments were ill advised and poorly worded, but I don't think it was meant as racist in any way.

Son Of Man 04-15-2011 12:43 PM

[quote=GMScud;793668]I don't think it's all that racist, but IMO the point here is the double standard we see so often in today's society with regard to race issues between blacks and whites.

Me personally, I don't really give a damn. Skin color has never really mattered to me. But the double standard annoys me.[/quote]

Pretty accurate statement here. Hard to argue with this post.

BTW- Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson are glorified racial ambulance chasers. They rip into Imus but celebrate Ludicris. Although both wrong, what's really worse calling someone "nappy headed hoe" or telling her to "move bitch get out the way" and sell records to young girls encouraging misogony?

Before some of you get mad about me dissing Sharpton & Jackson....I'm Black...lol.

GMScud 04-15-2011 12:46 PM

[quote=Son Of Man;793694]Pretty accurate statement here. Hard to argue with this post.

BTW- [B]Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson are glorified racial ambulance chasers.[/B] They rip into Imus but celebrate Ludicris. Although both wrong, what's really worse calling someone "nappy headed hoe" or telling her to "move bitch get out the way" and sell records to young girls encouraging misogony?

Before some of you get mad about me dissing Sharpton & Jackson....I'm Black...lol.[/quote]

Lol. I like that. So true. My eyes immediately roll at the sight of either of those two.

skinster 04-15-2011 12:48 PM

he did a poor job of phrasing it, but the message is true imo. its a little offensive the way he said it, but not enough to have people care or turn it into something big.

skinsfaninok 04-15-2011 12:50 PM

^ I agree matty but why would dukes eve say that? Who cares if the guy has some black Friends and acts like them? It's 2011 this race crap should be over by now.

He even compared him to Eminem or Vanilla Ice? He knew what he was trying to say

celts32 04-15-2011 12:53 PM

I don't consider Dukes racist but I tend to tune out everything he says because I think he is lousy and I don't think I learn anything by listening to him. I watched this entire episode of Total Access where he was talking about Mallet but i must have started day dreaming because i don't even remember him saying it.

skinsfaninok 04-15-2011 12:54 PM

@skinster

How do you think that's accurate? Just because of the media or the way he talks? Cmon man that's bush league

SmootSmack 04-15-2011 01:00 PM

[quote=celts32;793700]I don't consider Dukes racist but I tend to tune out everything he says because I think he is lousy and I don't think I learn anything by listening to him. I watched this entire episode of Total Access where he was talking about Mallet but i must have started day dreaming because i don't even remember him saying it.[/quote]

You probably would have stayed awake had he been talking about Blaine Gabbert since you love Gabbert so much...:)

celts32 04-15-2011 01:07 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;793702]You probably would have stayed awake had he been talking about Blaine Gabbert since you love Gabbert so much...:)[/quote]

haha...nice! I can't wait to get my Gabbert jersey:doh:

Chico23231 04-15-2011 01:32 PM

Dukes is a sh*thead plain and simple. I think it is borderline racist because Dukes statement is an attempt to connotate Mallet's character as negative...which in turn gives light to Dukes own racist stereotypes.

Eknox 04-15-2011 02:50 PM

[QUOTE=Son Of Man;793694]Pretty accurate statement here. Hard to argue with this post.

BTW- Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson are glorified racial ambulance chasers. They rip into Imus but celebrate Ludicris. Although both wrong, what's really worse calling someone "nappy headed hoe" or telling her to "move bitch get out the way" and sell records to young girls encouraging misogony?

Before some of you get mad about me dissing Sharpton & Jackson....I'm Black...lol.[/QUOTE
I don't know you or do I know if you are a racist either one of you, but this comment(black boy," or street, hood, ghetto, nappy headed,) was not necessary to prove your point. Being a black man I was more offended by this than any of the other guys that jumped on this subject like flies on shit. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton might not be important to you, but if I got my ass beat by the police or was discriminated against these are the guys I want in my corner. You need to check your history son I'm talking about the 50's and 60's when things you don't even understand were going on these guys don't mean much to you. But attacking them personally and they are Icons in the black community makes me sad for you my friend. I'm not calling you racists but it sure sounds like it the way you worded these statements. There are plenty of white racists there's an organization committed to this called the KKK. Jesse and Al don't preach violence or hate like this organization and unless they went up against you personally or a loved one what's your beef?

Eknox 04-15-2011 02:56 PM

[quote=Chico23231;793707]Dukes is a sh*thead plain and simple. I think it is borderline racist because Dukes statement is an attempt to connotate Mallet's character as negative...which in turn gives light to Dukes own racist stereotypes.[/quote]
WHAT? :lol:

Eknox 04-15-2011 03:04 PM

[quote=GMScud;793684]For the record you're the one throwing around "good ole boy" terms all the while being hyper sensitive. Proving my point for me? Methinks.....[/quote]
If you're not a good ole boy why does it bother you? And what does that mean to you?

Son Of Man 04-15-2011 03:37 PM

What

GMScud 04-15-2011 03:40 PM

[quote=Eknox;793720]If you're not a good ole boy why does it bother you? And what does that mean to you?[/quote]

I am not a "good ole boy" (I'm a 32 year old northerner), nor was I calling anyone "nappy headed" or "ghetto." I was using those terms to illustrate the point of the racial double standard that you have so graciously decided to be the case study for in this thread. You're proving my point for me.

You take offense to even hearing the words "nappy headed" or "ghetto" (despite the fact that they weren't even directed at anyone), yet you think nothing of referring to certain white people as "good ole boys."

Thanks for proving me right. Next.

Son Of Man 04-15-2011 03:41 PM

[quote=Eknox;793717][QUOTE=Son Of Man;793694]Pretty accurate statement here. Hard to argue with this post.

Before some of you get mad about me dissing Sharpton & Jackson....I'm Black...lol.[/QUOTE
I don't know you or do I know if you are a racist either one of you, but this comment(black boy," or street, hood, ghetto, nappy headed,) was not necessary to prove your point. Being a black man I was more offended by this than any of the other guys that jumped on this subject like flies on shit. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton might not be important to you, but if I got my ass beat by the police or was discriminated against these are the guys I want in my corner. You need to check your history son I'm talking about the 50's and 60's when things you don't even understand were going on these guys don't mean much to you. But attacking them personally and they are Icons in the black community makes me sad for you my friend. I'm not calling you racists but it sure sounds like it the way you worded these statements. There are plenty of white racists there's an organization committed to this called the KKK. Jesse and Al don't preach violence or hate like this organization and unless they went up against you personally or a loved one what's your beef?[/quote]

The writing here is too remedial for me to offer an adequate rebuttal. In the future, please take the time to form a well thought out paragraph before typing. Thanks.

But- I never said those two preach hate (unless you count Jackson's remarks that he wanted to cut Obama's nuts off). What I was referring to was there hypocrisy. Going after sensational news stories about race (Imus, Kramer from Seinfeld, etc) with vitreal while giving "rapers" & "entertainers" a pass for the role they play in the degredation of black communities for profit. Also, I was unaware of Jackson's and Sharpton's social contributions in the 1950's. I am throuroughly impressed seeing as though Jackson was a teenager and Sharpton was born in 1954....power to the toddlers!

BTW- How can you feel comfortable calling me a racist without knowing my ethnic background or upbringing? Your ignorance shines brightly in this post.

Oh Yeah....seriously, the KKK? WTF does that terrorist organization have to do with the subject matter?

GMScud 04-15-2011 03:41 PM

[quote=Son Of Man;793723]What[/quote]

He seems confused.