Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Would you be ok with... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=42122)

MTK 04-25-2011 09:27 AM

Would you be ok with...

Not taking a QB at all in this draft?

Research shows that [URL="http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/03/31/use-caution-when-drafting-a-second-round-quarterba"]2nd round QBs have been mostly disappointments[/URL], so unless you get a top flight guy in the 1st round it's basically a waste to take a QB in later rounds.

Do you trust the likes of Grossman or Beck? Or picking up a stop gap veteran such as Hasselbeck?

Alvin Walton 04-25-2011 09:34 AM

Re: Would you be ok with...

That's kinda my thought anyways.
We have so many needs in this year of a possible shutdown that it may not be a bad time to stock up the trenches. If the season is shortened then the impact of a new QB will be less significant.
The free agency QB crop this years sucks as far as I'm concerned, I'd just stick with Grossman.

rypper11 04-25-2011 09:45 AM

I'd be ecstatic if we don't draft a qb this year. Build the defense this year. DE, NT, OLB, ILB, CB. If we can get 2-3 starters that fit a 3-4 defense I'll consider it a great draft.
In a dream world, trade down with NE for the 17 and 33 pick. Take DE Cameron Jordan (or Watt if he falls), then NT Kenrick Ellis and with the 41 pick ILB Casey Matthews.
The only qb I'd want this year is a 5th or 6th rounder.

mredskins 04-25-2011 09:54 AM

I agree I rather not burn a pic on a QB project. Hopefully we suck next year so we can draft Andrew Luck.

skinsfan69 04-25-2011 10:04 AM

[quote=Mattyk;795140]Not taking a QB at all in this draft?

Research shows that [URL="http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/03/31/use-caution-when-drafting-a-second-round-quarterba"]2nd round QBs have been mostly disappointments[/URL], so unless you get a top flight guy in the 1st round it's basically a waste to take a QB in later rounds.

Do you trust the likes of Grossman or Beck? Or picking up a stop gap veteran such as Hasselbeck?[/quote]

Great thread. I'm 100% behind not taking a QB cause this is not a good QB class. We need to build the team in the trenches so I'd play Beck or Grossman, try and get anything we can for McNabb and shoot for Andrew Luck next year.

skinsfan69 04-25-2011 10:05 AM

[quote=mredskins;795146]i agree i rather not burn a pic on a qb project. Hopefully we suck next year so we can draft andrew luck.[/quote]

x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SmootSmack 04-25-2011 10:06 AM

Not me. I mean it really wouldn't surprise me if we didn't in the first two rounds. But we need a QB. So I hope next weekend doesn't pass without us taking a QB at some point in the draft

mlmpetert 04-25-2011 10:09 AM

I guess you normally pick a later round QB for the purpose of having a good backup QB. But we already got a good back up in Grossman for years to come, so it makes sense not wasting a pick on a later round guy.

Id be happy starting Grossman this year and waiting till next years draft to find a QB in round 1.

Chico23231 04-25-2011 10:13 AM

Do you trust the likes of Grossman or Beck? Or picking up a stop gap veteran such as Hasselbeck?[/quote]

Ive been screamin about poor quality pool QBs this draft for awhile, so no.

Next years crop has two legit top ten guys already and 2 more legit overall first rounders.

I think from a quality standpoint you have two borderline first round picks with Gabbert and Cam this draft

skinsfaninok 04-25-2011 10:21 AM

No this team needs to draft a QB

Schneed10 04-25-2011 10:21 AM

Can I get excited about Grossman or Beck (or Hasselbeck or Bulger...) leading this team? Definitely not. There's ZERO chance at a Super Bowl with any of those guys. So when it comes to QBs, take a shot, because you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

If we don't come away with a QB in this draft, I COULD be OK with it but we MUST hit on those 1st and 2nd rounders with quality trench players on either side of the ball. Building the trenches first and finding a QB later does make some sense, look at the New York Jets.

But no position impacts the game like a QB, and in my estimation we're hopeless until we find the next guy capable of joining the Brady/Manning/Brees echelon. I'm not interested in a one-year run at a Super Bowl. I want to be on top for years with a consistent shot to win a title. Only the Peyton Mannings, Tom Bradys, and Drew Brees of the world do that for you.

Schneed10 04-25-2011 10:25 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;795153]Not me. I mean it really wouldn't surprise me if we didn't in the first two rounds. But we need a QB. So I hope next weekend doesn't pass without us taking a QB at some point in the draft[/quote]

I agree. I'm not sure which QBs our coaches are in love with, but if we don't get one of those QBs in the top 2 rounds, then we still need to come away with somebody. We need to at least give ourselves a chance at getting lucky.

I guarantee you the Patriots didn't know what they had when they took Tom Brady in the 6th round. But they took him and got lucky.

If we can't land the guy our coach really wants, at least take a shot with a low pick. I mean, hitting on a 5th round safety is like winning $100 on a scratch off. It's very nice. But hitting on a 5th round QB is like winning the Powerball.

takethecake 04-25-2011 10:31 AM

I say we wait for Andrew Luck or Matt Barkley. If Shanny & co play our cards right this year, we'll have ammo to move up (if we need to), and you have to know Andrew Luck will be better than anyone we can draft this year...

celts32 04-25-2011 10:32 AM

It's not okay with me. It's the teams biggest need and the most important position...can not support seeing an entire draft go by without addressing the QB position at all.

redsk1 04-25-2011 10:53 AM

I'd be ok. We will draft a QB this year though.

Monkeydad 04-25-2011 10:54 AM

This is what I've been saying all along.

If we absolutely MUST take one, get one later than the 1st round.

Ruhskins 04-25-2011 11:05 AM

[quote=Monkeydad;795169]This is what I've been saying all along.

If we absolutely MUST take one, get one later than the 1st round.[/quote]

Agreed, we can trade down and grab a QB. Here's a nice article on Ponder by the folks from the NFP.

[url=http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Breaking-down-Ponder-in-the-pro-style-system.html]Breaking down Ponder in the pro style system | National Football Post[/url]

Terpfan76 04-25-2011 11:38 AM

Here's a question, where would this year's qb class rank if you combined this year and next year's classes? I agree that next year's class is much stronger and it would be worth trading down this year and adding more pieces and then getting one of the qbs next season that appear to have far more potential when it comes to being a true franchise qb.

Longtimefan 04-25-2011 11:52 AM

We shouldn't draft a QB just because we need a QB. The concern should be value at the position. I don't see it at #10 nor do I see it at #41. No more Colt Brennams and Jordan Palmers, we may as well use the pick on a position player, or [players] with so many holes to fill.

Ruhskins 04-25-2011 11:54 AM

[quote=Terpfan76;795178]Here's a question, where would this year's qb class rank if you combined this year and next year's classes? I agree that next year's class is much stronger and it would be worth trading down this year and adding more pieces and then getting one of the qbs next season that appear to have far more potential when it comes to being a true franchise qb.[/quote]

Personally, I feel that getting a rookie QB now would be appropriate. I'm sure I'll catch flak for this, but last year Mike Shanahan was not in a rebuilding mode whatsoever. Sadly, it has taken the failure (more like a disaster) of the McNabb trade to finally get in this rebuilding mode. Right now the best situation for the team is for MS to keep the current mediocre QB (Grossman) and draft a QB to groom (something he should've done last year). We may be in for a rough year, but at least we would have a young QB to build around for the future.

Lotus 04-25-2011 12:21 PM

I am fairly convinced that we will acquire Vince Young when it becomes possible. He is our starter next year.

But we need young QB blood. We need to draft a QB.

But we don't need to reach. Sometimes good QB value can be found later in the draft. So we should draft a QB some time after the first round.

For those calling for Luck, do you really want us to go 1-15, which is what it will take to be in a position to get Luck?

Son Of Man 04-25-2011 12:43 PM

I think we HAVE to draft a QB. We need soemone to develop and build an offense for the future. If we continue to wait until everything is perfect before plugging in a young guy (as alot of you suggest every draft and probably will next draft), we probably won't be in position to draft one as we will be a good team with later picks.

Get Jake Locker and get on with it.

Slingin Sammy 33 04-25-2011 12:46 PM

Do you trust the likes of Grossman or Beck? Or picking up a stop gap veteran such as Hasselbeck?[/quote]Completely fine with it. The QB talent in this draft is pedestrian with high-bust potential at the top tier (Newton, Gabbert, Locker).

It don't think any of the rookie QBs are better than Beck right now and won't be for at least a year or two.

JoeRedskin 04-25-2011 01:09 PM

I'd take a QB outside of the first two picks unless there is a trade down. If we have 3 picks in the first three rounds one should be a QB. Otherwise, as Schneed said, trench guys at 1 and 2 and a late round QB (maybe even two).

Get the lines (and LB on defense) up to snuff THEN worry about the guy driving the machine.

Longtimefan 04-25-2011 01:27 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;795153]Not me. I mean it really wouldn't surprise me if we didn't in the first two rounds. But we need a QB. So I hope next weekend doesn't pass without us taking a QB at some point in the draft[/quote]

The Redskins need so much with so little to work with. They have a grand total of two substance picks, so barring a trade down for additional pick in rounds two or three, this draft could be a virtual wash. I'm in agreement with Casserley here, value after round four is hoping for that elusive diamond in the ruff.

If it is the Redskins intention to draft A QB [project] exactly where in this draft with limited picks do they draft a QB that could be counted on to develop into an NFL QB in a two to three year period of time? Drafting a guy just because he has QB attached to his name does not necessarily mean problem solved.

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-late-round-picks-carry-little-value/2011/04/25/AFAw2vhE_blog.html]Redskins’ late-round picks carry little value - The Insider - The Washington Post[/url]

KI Skins Fan 04-25-2011 02:02 PM

I'm perfectly fine with not taking a QB at all in this draft. We have a long way to go in building this team, so I like the idea of building the foundation which, to me, is the defense and the OL. We can get our QB next year.

If we don't take a QB, I'd like to see the Skins trade down at least once but preferably twice to get more picks. Or, perhaps they could do a deal which gets us a second first round pick next year. That would give us some ammo to try to trade up for Andrew Luck.

Schneed10 04-25-2011 03:00 PM

I think the idea that we could trade up for Andrew Luck just needs to be forgotten right now. If a team is bad enough this coming year to earn the #1 overall pick (the pick it will take to get Andrew Luck) then that team is quite likely to need an answer at QB.

There's no way anybody trades out of that spot. It's just like Bradford with the Rams last year, they had offers on the table, but they saw him there and turned them all down.

The only way we get Andrew Luck next year is if we're the worst team in the NFL. That just won't happen.

Dirtbag59 04-25-2011 03:27 PM

[B]Research shows that [URL="http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/03/31/use-caution-when-drafting-a-second-round-quarterba"]2nd round QBs have been mostly disappointments[/URL], [/B]so unless you get a top flight guy in the 1st round it's basically a waste to take a QB in later rounds.

Usually any other year I would avoid second round QB's like the plague. However this class seems different. Especially in regards to guys like Dalton and Ponder who I believe can be exceptions to the rule. Mallet and Kaepernick scare me but in regards to this draft I have an attitude akin to "if they picked them they must have seen something they can work with."

Grossman and Beck while certainly not as bad as Anderson, Skelton, and Hall down in Arizona certainly scare me as the only two options. It's not that I don't believe they can succeed but at the very least I would want someone with a little more upside. Weather that be a first or second round rookie or a free agent like Vince Young.

So while it's not the end of the world going with Grossman and Beck I would still be pretty nervous about the future of this organization. QB's traditionally take the longest to develop and even if they can hit the ground running they still need around 3 years until they're ready to take on the rigors of postseason play and actually be considered a contender. Lineman on the other hand if they're good enough take half a season to develop, while the later round picks can take 1 to 2 years.

Chico23231 04-25-2011 03:35 PM

What would absolutely not be ok is to give away future draft picks to move up

skinsfan69 04-25-2011 03:36 PM

[quote=Schneed10;795239]I think the idea that we could trade up for Andrew Luck just needs to be forgotten right now. If a team is bad enough this coming year to earn the #1 overall pick (the pick it will take to get Andrew Luck) then that team is quite likely to need an answer at QB.

There's no way anybody trades out of that spot. It's just like Bradford with the Rams last year, they had offers on the table, but they saw him there and turned them all down.

[B]The only way we get Andrew Luck next year is if we're the worst team in the NFL. That just won't happen.[/quote][/B]

Why won't it? We're still the worst team in our division and we're only better than a few teams.

Defensewins 04-25-2011 03:38 PM

[quote=Schneed10;795161]Can I get excited about Grossman or Beck (or Hasselbeck or Bulger...) leading this team? Definitely not. [B]There's ZERO chance at a Super Bowl with any of those guys.[/B] So when it comes to QBs, take a shot, because you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

If we don't come away with a QB in this draft, I COULD be OK with it but we MUST hit on those 1st and 2nd rounders with quality trench players on either side of the ball. Building the trenches first and finding a QB later does make some sense, look at the New York Jets.

But no position impacts the game like a QB, and in my estimation we're hopeless until we find the next guy capable of joining the Brady/Manning/Brees echelon. I'm not interested in a one-year run at a Super Bowl. I want to be on top for years with a consistent shot to win a title. Only the Peyton Mannings, Tom Bradys, and Drew Brees of the world do that for you.[/quote]

Super Bowl? Playoffs? Playoffs?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWi1-AgA5g4]YouTube - jim mora remix[/ame]

Dirtbag59 04-25-2011 03:38 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;795254][/B]

Why won't it? We're still the worst team in our division and we're only better than a few teams.[/quote]

We're playing the NFC West this year. As the Cardinals showed last year, despite being terrible only got as high as 5. We could very well suck this year but it won't be bad enough to get the number one overall pick. Our best chance is if out of nowhere the new CBA brings about a lottery system.

[quote=KI Skins Fan;795220]I'm perfectly fine with not taking a QB at all in this draft. We have a long way to go in building this team, so I like the idea of building the foundation which, to me, is the defense and the OL. We can get our QB next year.

[/quote]

Bill Parcells would like to have a word with you :D

[quote]Former Miami Dolphins team official[B] Bill Parcells said he regrets drafting OT Jake Long over Atlanta Falcons QB Matt Ryan with the first overall pick in 2008,[/B] according to NFL.com. "Maybe, we should have (drafted Ryan instead)," Parcells, the Dolphins' former executive vice president of football operations, said. He also said the decision to draft former QB Pat White in the second round of the 2009 draft "violated our principles."[/quote]

Bottom line, if you see a QB that you believe can be a franchise QB you don't pass on him because you don't have a perfect line to protect him. Falcons gave up something like 50+ sacks the year before they drafted Ryan.

Swarley 04-25-2011 03:46 PM

A late round pick used on a QB isn't "wasted". I'm sure you're all smart enough to realize that late round picks, regardless of position, are usually crapshoots to the extreme. I'm with Smoot, I'm ok if we dont take one in round 1 or 2, but I really hope we draft a QB at some point. We have no reason not to.

Lotus 04-25-2011 04:04 PM

[quote=Schneed10;795239]I think the idea that we could trade up for Andrew Luck just needs to be forgotten right now. If a team is bad enough this coming year to earn the #1 overall pick (the pick it will take to get Andrew Luck) then that team is quite likely to need an answer at QB.

The only way we get Andrew Luck next year is if we're the worst team in the NFL. That just won't happen.[/quote]

This. Except instead of saying that we won't be the worst team this year, I'd say that no one here should WISH us to be the worst team this year. If you are rooting to draft Luck, turn in your Skins fan card right now.

Schneed10 04-25-2011 04:07 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;795254][/B]

Why won't it? We're still the worst team in our division and we're only better than a few teams.[/quote]

Entirely possible I guess. I'm just playing the percentages, we have an easy schedule and we're better than a number of teams as currently constructed.

Either way though, my point stands. If we suck bad enough to get the 1st overall pick then we get Andrew Luck regardless and no trade is needed. If we suck only bad enough to get the 2nd pick (or any other pick) there's no way the team with the 1st will trade out of it.

Either way, trading up for Andrew Luck will not happen.

Dirtbag59 04-25-2011 04:12 PM

Just watched the Draft segment on SC with McShay. Here's what he's hearing.

-Newton will be the first pick in Carolina. Not confirmed yet but it seems like they're heading in that direction.

- Gabbert could go to Buffalo and Cincy but believes they'll both pass which results in him falling to Arizona

-Tennessee OC Chris Palmer (of David Carr in Houston fame) really likes Jake Locker and they might look to be one of St. Louis trade partners and trade back to 14. The thing is if they do decide to take Locker that they're worried about Washington at 10 and Minnesota at 12. So basically right now Locker is expected to go anywhere from 8 to 14.

- Dalton and Ponder have a chance to go in the first round but he believes without trades Ponder would go to Buffalo at 34 and Dalton would go to Cincy at 35.

So if McShay is right then here's what I see if we decide we want to come away with a QB in the first two rounds.

1. Either "reach" for someone at 10. The most likely candidate would be Locker.

2. Trade back and reach for Dalton or Ponder. Or if they like Locker see if he falls to where they trade back.

2a. Trade back, take someone like Kerrigan and use the extra pick gained in the trade back to trade up from 41.

3. Trade up using next years picks from 41 above Buffalo, Cincy, and Seattle to secure Dalton or Ponder.

4. Wait for one of the projects to fall in Kaepernick or Mallet at 41 or hope that Ponder experiences a Colt McCoy like dive.

skinsfaninok 04-25-2011 05:23 PM

Mallett won't last until 41, as for the 10th pick I want a QB. The NFL has changed , this isn't always draft OL or DL anymore. QB is more important now than ever especially with the latest rule changes, the redskins havnt had a young QB of the future in decades So yes we need to take one now

skinsfan69 04-25-2011 05:54 PM

Over the last 20 years how many seasons has this team had outstanding QB play from start to finish? I can think of two seasons...Brad Johnson 1999 and Mark Rypien 1992. It's time to get a potentially great qb who can wins games.... and the only way to do that is to suck really bad in 2011 to have a chance to draft Luck in 2012.

Meks 04-25-2011 06:19 PM

I be more than ok with it!

KI Skins Fan 04-25-2011 06:30 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;795291]Over the last 20 years how many seasons has this team had outstanding QB play from start to finish? I can think of two seasons...Brad Johnson 1999 and Mark Rypien 1992. [B]It's time to get a potentially great qb who can wins games.... and the only way to do that is to suck really bad in 2011 to have a chance to draft Luck in 2012.[/B][/quote]

I assume that our new cheer would go something like "Suck Skins Suck!". I dunno, it just doesn't feel right to me. I'm hoping that there's some other way to build a winner.