Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   All Things Offensive Line: 2011 Edition (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=42268)

Dirtbag59 05-04-2011 04:59 PM

All Things Offensive Line: 2011 Edition

Many questions remain about the Redskins most scrutinized unit. Among them what do the Redskins do after drafting only one offensive lineman in 7th round pick Maurice Hurt?

The unit seemed to perform much better in the second half of the season but still left room for concern.

The Skins have frequently been linked to Davin Joseph and Ryan Harris. However 2010 rules put both at risk to remain RFA's. To make matters worse the Buc's are also rumored to have made signing Joseph to a long term contract a priority.

Further complicating matters is Jammal Brown. The All-Pro tackle that struggled in the first half of the season after dealing with a hip injury that was aggravated by the fact that he was playing on the Right Side. However Brown also seemed to be his old self near the end of the year and was easily one of the Skins favorite blockers to run behind once he recovered.

Brown is rumored to want to play Left Tackle else where and in a free agent market that could easily be devoid of talent a player of Brown's caliber will stand out.

Also how are the young developmental projects in Cook and Capers coming? Have the coaching staff seen enough promise in either of them to justify using only one of 12 picks on an offensive lineman?

Finally how do the Redskins deal with the black sheep of the unit in Rabach and Heyer? Heyer seemed to improve by leaps and bounds over his 2009 performance and looks to be a valuable asset as a swing tackle. Rabach on the other hand did little to silence critics that claim he is a liability when it comes to other teams trying to get a push up the middle. The team[I] has already cut ties[/I] with long time Redskin Derrick Dockery and possibly split over weather or not to keep Artis Hicks.

Either way much remains to be answered about the teams current state of affairs up front.

Dirtbag59's Projected Opening day line up as of 5/4/2011
LT - Williams - Heyer
LG - Kory L
C - Rabach - Cook
RG - Montgomery - Capers
RT - Brown/Harris? - Xavier Fulton

skinsfaninok 05-04-2011 05:10 PM

Re: All Things Offensive Line: 2011 Edition

I recently got to meet Jammal Brown (through my friend in the photo ) and dude was really cool. Said he enjoyed playing in WSH and really liked the fans there. I was able to get my Skins hat autographed! JB also said he likes the fans in DC and he thinks MS is a great coach. Also liked the organization, didn't get to ask much unfortunately

[IMG]http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab266/Skinsfaninok/1304537853.jpg?t=1304538258[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab266/Skinsfaninok/1304538009.jpg?t=1304538171[/IMG]

there ya go DBAG lol

NYCskinfan82 05-04-2011 05:18 PM

[quote=Dirtbag59;801180]Many questions remain about the Redskins most scrutinized unit. Among them what do the Redskins do after drafting only one offensive lineman in 7th round pick Maurice Hurt?

The unit seemed to perform much better in the second half of the season but still left room for concern.

The Skins have frequently been linked to Davin Joseph and Ryan Harris However 2010 rules put both at risk to remain RFA's. To make matters worse the Buc's are also rumored to have made signing Joseph long term contract a priority.

Further complicating matters is Jammal Brown. The All-Pro tackle that struggled in the first half of the season after dealing with a hip injury that aggravated by the fact that he was playing on the Right Side. However Brown also seemed to be his old self near the end of the year and was easily one of the Skins favorite blockers to run behind once he recovered.

Brown is rumored to want to play Left Tackle else where and in a free agent market that could easily be devoid of talent a player of Brown's caliber will stand out.

Also how are the young developmental projects in Cook and Capers coming? Have the coaching staff seen enough promise in either of them to justify using only one of 12 picks on an offensive lineman?

Finally how do the Redskins deal with the black sheep of the unit in Rabach and Heyer? Heyer seemed to improve by leaps and bounds over his 2009 performance and looks to be a valuable asset as a swing tackle. Rabach on the other hand did little to silence critics that claim he is a liability when it comes to other teams trying to get a push up the middle. The team is also likely to cut ties with long time Redskin [B]Derrick Dockery [/B]and possibly split over weather or not to keep Artis Hicks.

Either way much remains to be answered about the teams current state of affairs up front.

Dirtbag59's Projected Opening day line up as of 5/4/2011
LT - Williams - Heyer
LG - Kory L
C - Rabach - Cook
RG - Montgomery - Capers
RT - Brown/Harris? - Xavier Fulton[/quote]

Dock's as already been released. Please remember we signed a new Assitant OL coach can't remember his name he played in the Zone Blocking system & coached it to, under Tom Cable give him sometime with our OL then we will know if it's time to panic IMO.

GMScud 05-04-2011 05:45 PM

Anyone have quick access to a list of the FA O-lineman? Reason I ask is because I'm assuming O-line will be a big focus for us when free agency begins...

Dirtbag59 05-04-2011 05:50 PM

[quote=GMScud;801202]Anyone have quick access to a list of the FA O-lineman? Reason I ask is because I'm assuming O-line will be a big focus for us when free agency begins...[/quote]

This is about as good as gets but I can't tell who's going to be released, resigned, tendered, etc.
[url=http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/ol.html]2011 NFL Free Agents: OL[/url]

Hog1 05-04-2011 06:11 PM

[quote=GMScud;801202]Anyone have quick access to a list of the FA O-lineman? Reason I ask is because [B]I'm assuming O-line will be a big focus for us when free agency begins.[/B]..[/quote]

.........Shanaplan
or..........Brucaplan?

MTK 05-04-2011 06:20 PM

I think we'll add at least one starter to the OL once free agency opens. Plus don't forget about Cook and Capers.

SmootSmack 05-04-2011 09:07 PM

[quote=Mattyk;801213]I think we'll add at least one starter to the OL once free agency opens. Plus don't forget about Cook and Capers.[/quote]

And don't forget Mike Williams too

I don't think Ryan Harris is in the Broncos' plans. In fact, I'm pretty sure Elway said as much so he shouldn't be too hard to bring here

Davin Joseph will be tough. Bucs want him back, so we'll have to show him he's better off here

Jammal Brown wants to get paid like a Left Tackle. So we'll let him test the market and if he finds what he wants, we'll wish him well. And if he doesn't, he's welcome back...on our terms

MTK 05-04-2011 09:09 PM

If BMW comes back strong that would be huge.

Hog1 05-04-2011 10:45 PM

[quote=Mattyk;801239]If BMW comesback strong that would be huge.[/quote]

I'm REALLY hoping Big Mike can come back strong...seems like a good dude and lord knows we could use him.

sportscurmudgeon 05-05-2011 10:07 AM

[quote=Mattyk;801239]If BMW comes back strong that would be huge.[/quote]

Matty:

Using "Mike Williams" and "huge" in the same sentence always works... :)

SolidSnake84 05-05-2011 10:12 AM

[quote=Mattyk;801239]If BMW comes back strong that would be huge.[/quote]

His condition was not career-threatening, and as far as i can remember even last year it was said that he would return in 2011. He played well for us.

Chico23231 05-05-2011 10:40 AM

for some reason this offseason in a long time, im feeling a bit more confident with the Oline. My only worry is Casey Rabauch might still be our center.

Mechanix544 05-05-2011 11:42 AM

Rabach has got to go. There HAS to be better options in FA than him, and younger ones at that.

Ruhskins 05-05-2011 11:55 AM

[quote=Mechanix544;801358]Rabach has got to go. There HAS to be better options in FA than him, and younger ones at that.[/quote]

I really hope last season was the last time we saw him get rolled over by DTs, botching snaps, and stepping on the QBs foot. I know Rabach is a nice dude, but we need to move on from him.

Lotus 05-05-2011 12:51 PM

[quote=Chico23231;801350]for some reason this offseason in a long time, im feeling a bit more confident with the Oline. My only worry is Casey Rabauch might still be our center.[/quote]

I predict that Kory Lichtensteiger is our center this year.

CrazyCanuck 05-05-2011 12:55 PM

Our O line is fine. Let's bring in some more WRs.

IRISHSKIN24 05-05-2011 01:07 PM

What about Montgomery? didn't he fill in center during the Packers game, the line seemed solid in the middle with him in there.

either way Casey needs to be gone

Dirtbag59 05-05-2011 01:12 PM

[quote=CrazyCanuck;801391]Our O line is fine. Let's bring in some more WRs.[/quote]

F**K YEAH! Pass catchers rule. When has anyone seen a lineman score a touchdown. Oh right NEVER! Pass catchers RULE!

Ruhskins 05-05-2011 01:44 PM

[quote=Dirtbag59;801401]F**K YEAH! Pass catchers rule. When has anyone seen a lineman score a touchdown. Oh right NEVER! Pass catchers RULE![/quote]

I've seen a defensive lineman score a TD...

[YT]8dO828YUmlg[/YT]

:FIREdevil

Longtimefan 05-05-2011 02:17 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;801363]I really hope last season was the last time we saw him get rolled over by DTs, botching snaps, and stepping on the QBs foot. I know Rabach is a nice dude, but we need to move on from him.[/quote]

Game tapes show far too many QB hurries as well as sacks originated from the O gap. Yet, watching a recent interview Larry Michael conducted with Chris Foerster the O-line coach, he had nothing but praise for Rabach. Perhaps he see's something we don't.

sportscurmudgeon 05-05-2011 02:27 PM

[quote=Longtimefan;801415]Game tapes show far too many QB hurries as well as sacks originated from the O gap. Yet, watching a recent interview Larry Michael conducted with Chris Foerster the O-line coach, he had nothing but praise for Rabach. Perhaps he see's something we don't.[/quote]

Longtimefan:

If the O-line coach had said even a word that might have been critical of Rabach or any Redskin, Larry Michael would never have put it on the air.

Michael is OK at doing play-by-play on the radio for the Skins. In terms of "analysis" or "probing interviews", he is nothing more than a cheerleading flack.

Rabach is not the reason the O-line was bad last year - - at the same time, the Skins ought to be able to upgrade at the center position without carrying out a world-wide search.

SolidSnake84 05-05-2011 02:32 PM

[quote=CrazyCanuck;801391]Our O line is fine. Let's bring in some more WRs.[/quote]

i know you mean that, but it is kind of scary to see someone say that, since this is the skins we are talking about, and besides QB, the O-line has been our most glaring weakness since 2006...

Longtimefan 05-05-2011 02:41 PM

Chris Foerster discusses the O-line with Larry Michael. Part 3 he talks about Casey Raback.

The links do not correspond and I don't know why. I'm going to try this again.

Dirtbag59 05-05-2011 02:52 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;801411]I've seen a defensive lineman score a TD...

[YT]8dO828YUmlg[/YT]

:FIREdevil[/quote]

Clearly photoshoped.

Dirtbag59 05-05-2011 02:56 PM

[quote=IRISHSKIN24;801399]What about Montgomery? didn't he fill in center during the Packers game, the line seemed solid in the middle with him in there.

either way Casey needs to be gone[/quote]

I don't know about the Packers game but definitely the Titans game, and the blocking was much improved. That was the game I started to loose faith in McNabb because he had all day to throw yet he made terrible decisions/ground balls/etc.

Still Montgomery didn't really create a push rather he simply held his ground as opposed to Rabach who was getting bull rushed into the backfield. Also a disclaimer, we talk about QB's tripping over Rabach, in the Titans game McNabb tripped over Montgomery as well.

Also if I remember correctly Heyer filled in at Guard that game and did a hell of a job. It was puzzling why they didn't put him back there.

CrustyRedskin 05-06-2011 11:12 AM

Jarvis Jenkins wtf?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV0wC2rXo-w]YouTube - Jarvis Jenkins vs. Georgia Tech ('09)[/url]
Should have picked #71 for GT downblockin on is arse,

musicmaster45 05-06-2011 04:41 PM

We need MATT LIGHT!!!!

freddyg12 05-11-2011 08:51 AM

[quote=Lotus;801386]I predict that Kory Lichtensteiger is our center this year.[/quote]

I think that's the plan as well. If BMW is back at RG, then they'll look to sign Joseph or lesser FA to play LG.

Dirt, interesting that you put Capers at backup RG. I wonder the same, he had problems w/speed rushers in the sr. bowl. Prior to that he was a top prospect as I recall, 2nd round or so.

diehard 05-11-2011 10:26 AM

Heyer played great at guard.

SBXVII 05-11-2011 10:52 AM

I found the "Redskins are front runners for VY" line to be offensive.

SBXVII 05-11-2011 10:55 AM

[quote=IRISHSKIN24;801399]What about Montgomery? didn't he fill in center during the Packers game, the line seemed solid in the middle with him in there.

either way Casey needs to be gone[/quote]

I don't know about the Packers game but I know he filled in during the Titans game. Rabach was getting run over or man handled and poor McNabb was being rushed or sacked. After Montgomery replaced Rabach the Titans could not sustain a decent pass rush and McNabb I don't think was even sacked.

Monkeydad 05-11-2011 10:55 AM

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/roster_analysis_offensive_line/2011/05/10/AFDTyjiG_blog.html?wprss=football-insider]Roster analysis: Offensive line - The Insider - The Washington Post[/url]

[QUOTE]Coaches have valued the leadership Rabach provides, but he wasn’t as effective last year while playing through several injuries. He needed shoulder surgery this offseason. Montgomery and Lichtensteiger both are natural centers, but saw significant time at the right and left guard positions, respectively. Hicks can play guard or tackle. He began last season at right guard, but was slowed by groin and thigh injuries. He lost his job to Montgomery and never regained it once healthy.[/QUOTE]

I think both Montgomery and Lichtensteiger should be competing for the Center position. They're both Centers playing Guard and would be more effective in the middle.

Goodbye Casey. Thanks for the effort over the years.

Dirtbag59 05-11-2011 06:09 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;802347][url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/roster_analysis_offensive_line/2011/05/10/AFDTyjiG_blog.html?wprss=football-insider]Roster analysis: Offensive line - The Insider - The Washington Post[/url]

I think both Montgomery and Lichtensteiger should be competing for the Center position. They're both Centers playing Guard and would be more effective in the middle.

Goodbye Casey. Thanks for the effort over the years.[/quote]

LT - Williams
LG - Kory L
C - Montgomery
RG - BMW
RT - Brown or Harirs.

tryfuhl 05-11-2011 07:19 PM

[quote=Dirtbag59;801401]F**K YEAH! Pass catchers rule. When has anyone seen a lineman score a touchdown. Oh right NEVER! Pass catchers RULE![/quote]

several times

and just by getting WRs doesn't mean we can't address the O-Line lol

tryfuhl 05-11-2011 07:22 PM

[quote=Longtimefan;801415]Game tapes show far too many QB hurries as well as sacks originated from the O gap. Yet, watching a recent interview Larry Michael conducted with Chris Foerster the O-line coach, he had nothing but praise for Rabach. Perhaps he see's something we don't.[/quote]

I think we're all missing something. A couple of years ago Madden said that Rabach was having a Pro Bowl season the first half. Zorn seemed to love the guy; one of Shanahan/Allen's first moves was to pay the guy 12 mil over 3 years before probably even working with him.

Who knows?

tryfuhl 05-11-2011 07:23 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;802347][url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/roster_analysis_offensive_line/2011/05/10/AFDTyjiG_blog.html?wprss=football-insider]Roster analysis: Offensive line - The Insider - The Washington Post[/url]

I think both[B] Montgomery and Lichtensteiger should be competing for the Center position.[/B] They're both Centers playing Guard and would be more effective in the middle.

Goodbye Casey. Thanks for the effort over the years.[/quote]

Agreed fully

GTripp0012 05-11-2011 07:56 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;802422]I think we're all missing something. A couple of years ago Madden said that Rabach was having a Pro Bowl season the first half. Zorn seemed to love the guy; one of Shanahan/Allen's first moves was to pay the guy 12 mil over 3 years before probably even working with him.

Who knows?[/quote]Zorn was also the last Redskins coach to field a competent offense, with or without Rabach.

30gut 05-11-2011 07:57 PM

LT-Trent Williams
LG-Corey Lichtensteiger
C-?? Samson Satele
RG-Will Montgomery
RT-?? Matt Light

or

LT-Trent Williams
OG-Corey Lichtenstieger
C-Will Monty
OG-??Logan Mankins/Davin Joseph
OT-??Matt Light

Logan Mankins New England Patriots UFA OG
Samson Satele Oakland Raiders UFA C
Kasey Studdard Houston Texans UFA OG
Davin Joseph Tampa Bay Buccaneers UFA OG

Matt Light New England Patriots UFA OT
Ryan Harris Broncos UFA OT
Jamaal Brown

SmootSmack 05-11-2011 08:01 PM

Well I thought Kory L. would be our starter C by some point last season. This season I think it will be a pretty open competition.

As I'd last heard it, the plan isn't for Big Mike to start. Even though they'd like him back

The guy I really wonder about is Hicks. I think he was pretty much a disaster of a FA pick, but I haven't heard that he won't be back