Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/other-sports/)
-   -   Terps Basketball Coach Gary Williams Stepping Down (http://www.thewarpath.net/other-sports/42281-terps-basketball-coach-gary-williams-stepping.html)

SmootSmack 05-05-2011 04:20 PM

Terps Basketball Coach Gary Williams Stepping Down

He will announce his retirement tomorrow

Ruhskins 05-05-2011 04:23 PM

Re: Terps Basketball Coach Gary Williams Stepping Down

Wow. Don't know how I feel about it.

Chico23231 05-05-2011 04:24 PM

Damnnnnnnnnnnnn great coach. Gonna miss him, all the best

SmootSmack 05-05-2011 04:31 PM

Day after Jordan Williams says he's leaving. Kind of curious

As I've heard it, and it's really just speculation, this wasn't exactly voluntary

The official announcement may even come today

ArtMonkDrillz 05-05-2011 04:41 PM

I just threw up in my mouth.

So, when are the Nationals moving to Vegas?

ArtMonkDrillz 05-05-2011 04:46 PM

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/post/gary-williams-retiring-after-22-seasons-as-maryland-coach/2011/05/05/AFgPuc0F_blog.html]Gary Williams retiring after 22 seasons as Maryland coach - Terrapins Insider - The Washington Post[/url]

ArtMonkDrillz 05-05-2011 04:52 PM

ESPN.com makes it seem like he's sticking around CP, [URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6487292"]as an assistant AD and adviser to Anderson[/URL], so I'd be a little surprised if this wasn't voluntary.

SmootSmack 05-05-2011 05:17 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;801478]ESPN.com makes it seem like he's sticking around CP, [URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6487292"]as an assistant AD and adviser to Anderson[/URL], so I'd be a little surprised if this wasn't voluntary.[/quote]

Maybe it was.

elindsay 05-05-2011 05:53 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;801466]Wow. Don't know how I feel about it.[/quote]

I feel the same way since I'm a Terps fan.

GMScud 05-05-2011 08:49 PM

A good buddy of mine who's a Marlyand alum and HUGE terp basketball fan sent out a mass text at lunch time on April 1st that Gary Williams was going to announce his retirement at 3pm that day. Fooled a bunch of us. I guess the joke's on him now.

BDBohnzie 05-06-2011 09:39 AM

Sad day for Maryland basketball. Many people might not have liked him, but he achieved a helluva lot with the limited resources he had. Plus he brought this program from rock bottom back to a respectful level. He gave Maryland alum a reason to watch Terps basketball again. Whomever they hire will have large shoes and sweaty suits to fill. I wonder if this means he'll be spending more time at the Starboard in Dewey?

jdlea 05-06-2011 10:18 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;801469]Day after Jordan Williams says he's leaving. Kind of curious

[B]As I've heard it, and it's really just speculation, this wasn't exactly voluntary[/B]

The official announcement may even come today[/quote]

Honestly, I really appreciate everything he's done to make the program what it is and I'll never forget the title run, but I was thinking that he needed to go. Too many players are coming out of PG County and going to other schools. I know that a lot of them are 1 and done types, but there's still no reason guys like Melo, Kevin Durant and Michael Beasley are coming out of schools in UMD's backyard and going to other schools. Williams is a great X's and O's coach, but I have a big issue with the way he recruits. I think the types who refuse to recruit the *potential* one and done players are really going to fall behind other schools at this point. I'm not saying I necessarily want Calipari, but I wouldn't mind someone who believes in a mix of graduating players as well as recruiting kids who may leave early.

Btw, Gary did recruit Steve Francis and he was, at most, a 2 year guy (I know he was a JC recruit, so that was all the eligibility he had)

SmootSmack 05-06-2011 02:03 PM

I agree it was time for him to go. Yes, you can't take away his one title or the fact that he helped bring them back from the Bob Wade era. But his inability to recruit locally really hurt them. Who was the assistant they had that used to be the key recruiter? Was it Dickerson? Hahn?

FRPLG 05-06-2011 02:43 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;801658]I agree it was time for him to go. Yes, you can't take away his one title or the fact that he helped bring them back from the Bob Wade era. But his [B]inability to recruit[/B] locally really hurt them. Who was the assistant they had that used to be the key recruiter? Was it Dickerson? Hahn?[/quote]

More than a few people would change the bolded to "inability to cheat as much as many other coaches"

Dirtbag59 05-06-2011 02:51 PM

I was there in person when the Terps won the National Championship back in 2002. Along with a host of other memories that date back to as early as 1991. Anyway thanks for the memories Gary.