Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NFL Owners, Players Resume Mediation (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=42369)

SmootSmack 05-16-2011 10:10 AM

NFL Owners, Players Resume Mediation

[url=http://www.cbssports.com/#!/nfl/story/15069256/nfl-owners-lockedout-players-to-resume-mediation]Sports - CBSSports.com Sports News, Fantasy Scores, Sports Video[/url]

firstdown 05-16-2011 10:27 AM

Re: NFL Owners, Players Resume Mediation

They should just lock them in a hot room without food or water until they reach an agreement.

CRedskinsRule 05-16-2011 10:38 AM

[quote=firstdown;802974]They should just lock them in a hot room without food or water until they reach an agreement.[/quote]

Well to be fair they ought to keep em in there even after they reach the agreement, simply tell them that the fans opted out of letting them out :cheeky-sm

tryfuhl 05-16-2011 11:07 AM

give the fans and the courts that billion dollars for being a bunch of idiots

NC_Skins 05-16-2011 03:02 PM

[quote=firstdown;802974]They should just lock them in a hot room without food or water until they reach an agreement.[/quote]

I actually prefer the old gladiator methods. Put them in a arena with a sword and shield and say may the best man win!!

Dirtbag59 05-16-2011 03:08 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;802989]give the fans and the courts that billion dollars for being a bunch of idiots[/quote]

I can see the headlines now. "Fans and Courts can't Figure Out $9 Billion Split: NFL Owners and Players step in to Help Resolve Dispute."

Seriously though stop wasting taxpayer money. It's just a waste of time.

hooskins 05-16-2011 03:11 PM

Have to use federal regulation via taxpayer money, since the NFL is a monopoly.

firstdown 05-16-2011 03:14 PM

[quote=NC_Skins;803034]I actually prefer the old gladiator methods. Put them in a arena with a sword and shield and say may the best man win!![/quote]

I know. The owners pick one person and the players pick a player. We allow the fans to draw numbers from 1 to 100. Starting with one each fan gets to kick the owner of choice and player of choice in the balls. This goes on until one of them quits and play it on the NFL network.

Defensewins 05-16-2011 03:25 PM

Can someone answer this: will the owners still get paid the TV money even if there are no games?
If so, a judge ought to deny the owners that money. That will help push the issue to get a CBA deal in place before September. Otherwise the owners have no incentive to get a deal done.

firstdown 05-16-2011 03:28 PM

[quote=Defensewins;803039]Can someone answer this: will the owners still get paid the TV money even if there are no games?
If so, a judge ought to deny the owners that money. That will help push the issue to get a CBA deal in place before September. Otherwise the owners have no incentive to get a deal done.[/quote]

Yes, and if I'm correct that's one of the things they are fighting over now. I think the players are saying that they should get a % of that money.

Here you go.

Also pending is an order from U.S. District Judge David Doty on the fate of some $4 billion in broadcast revenue he previously ruled was unfairly secured by the NFL in the last round of contract extensions with the networks to use as leverage in the form of financial padding for the work stoppage. Even if a lockout prevents games from being televised, the league would still get paid.
The players have asked Doty to set that money aside in escrow and for hundreds of millions of dollars in damages, too.
The hearing in Doty's courtroom in Minneapolis last week was mostly lawyers arguing back and forth, but each side accused the other of "sandbagging" and neither sounded as if it's ready to concede any ground.

NC_Skins 05-16-2011 03:28 PM

[quote=firstdown;803037]I know. The owners pick one person and the players pick a player. We allow the fans to draw numbers from 1 to 100. Starting with one each fan gets to kick the owner of choice and player of choice in the balls. This goes on until one of them quits and play it on the NFL network.[/quote]

Thinking more like this. Put it on pay-per-view and have that same guy do the intro.

[YT]pHU6K47qgc8[/YT]

NC_Skins 05-16-2011 03:33 PM

[quote=Defensewins;803039]Can someone answer this: will the owners still get paid the TV money even if there are no games?
If so, a judge ought to deny the owners that money. That will help push the issue to get a CBA deal in place before September. Otherwise the owners have no incentive to get a deal done.[/quote]

Not anymore they don't.
[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6172379]Federal judge backs NFLPA in dispute over TV money - ESPN[/url]

Defensewins 05-16-2011 03:34 PM

[quote=firstdown;803041]Yes, and if I'm correct that's one of the things they are fighting over now. I think the players are saying that they should get a % of that money.[/quote]

If true the TV networks are idiots to agree to a deal that they pay the owners even if there are no games. The NFL owners are really spoiled.
I can not think of any other multi-billion dollar business where the owners still get paid with out producing a single thing. How is that possible?

CRedskinsRule 05-16-2011 03:55 PM

[quote=Defensewins;803045]If true the TV networks are idiots to agree to a deal that they pay the owners even if there are no games. The NFL owners are really spoiled.
I can not think of any other multi-billion dollar business where the owners still get paid with out producing a single thing. How is that possible?[/quote]

Most of the money was upfront fees (sorta like paying for a year of Sirius upfront), or something like that, that the NFL would pay back if any games were actually missed.

freddyg12 05-16-2011 05:03 PM

I had high hopes for this lockout/decertification in the beginning. Seriously. I don't know if I'm that optimistic now, but I was just hoping that this forced some changes on both sides & would lead to greater stability going forward.