Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/)
-   -   Casey Anthony Trial (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/42441-casey-anthony-trial.html)

mredskins 05-25-2011 08:28 AM

Casey Anthony Trial

Anyone been following this?

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/05/25/florida.casey.anthony.trial/index.html]Testimony continues in Casey Anthony trial after bombshell accusations - CNN.com[/url]

Some really crazy stuff coming out about the family. How the father sits there stone faced through all things they are saying about him is just plain crazy!

Assuming she is guilty, how they killed this little girl in my mind is so impossible. My son is 3 and it pains me to yell at him because he is so innocent.

I guess in this world there is true evil.

724Skinsfan 05-25-2011 09:17 AM

Re: Casey Anthony Trial

I'm not buying it. Why the use of duct tape if she accidentally drowned in a pool?

mredskins 05-25-2011 10:22 AM

[quote=724Skinsfan;804362]I'm not buying it. Why the use of duct tape if she accidentally drowned in a pool?[/quote]

I know, in my mind every sign points to her being guilty. If what she says about her dad's sexually abuse is a lie talk about destroying every thing you possible can in your life and the people around you.

At this point she is innocent until proven otherwise. How can you be a defense attorney and defend scum like this? I personal could never do it, I just beat the shit out of her.

mredskins 07-05-2011 02:37 PM

Wow not guilty. OJ 2 here.

Chico23231 07-05-2011 02:42 PM

Casey Anthony so pale she looks like Skeletor. First thing she need to do is get some sun on them things.

mredskins 07-05-2011 02:47 PM

[quote=Chico23231;809425]Casey Anthony so pale she looks like Skeletor. First thing she need to do is get some sun on them things.[/quote]

She is also a fivehead becasue it is way to big to be just a forehead.

Chico23231 07-05-2011 02:50 PM

[quote=mredskins;809427]She is also a fivehead becasue it is way to big to be just a forehead.[/quote]

And after she killed her child she was out partying and giving morehead.

FRPLG 07-05-2011 02:53 PM

[quote=mredskins;809423]Wow not guilty. OJ 2 here.[/quote]

They had a weak case really. It's one thing to prove she is a horrible person (clearly she is) and a totally different thing to prove she killed her kid. Don't get me wrong...we all know she killed the kid but proving it is the name of the game. The system isn't perfect.

mredskins 07-05-2011 03:00 PM

[quote=FRPLG;809430]They had a weak case really. It's one thing to prove she is a horrible person (clearly she is) and a totally different thing to prove she killed her kid. Don't get me wrong...we all know she killed the kid but proving it is the name of the game. [B]The system isn't perfect[/B].[/quote]

Really? It is not even good.

CrazyCanuck 07-05-2011 03:02 PM

Nancy Grace is gonna go ballistic...

Chico23231 07-05-2011 03:04 PM

[quote=CrazyCanuck;809432]Nancy Grace is gonna go ballistic...[/quote]

the only good thing to come out of this is if Nancy Grace's head explodes and the world would be rid of her

Schneed10 07-05-2011 03:34 PM

I understood OJ because he was a HOF football player. But I don't understand why so many people were so captivated by this case. It's just another murder trial, one of thousands all over the US each year. Yet somehow the media and so many folks latched onto this and couldn't pull away from it.

Why is this case so special?

skinsfaninok 07-05-2011 03:40 PM

[quote=schneed10;809434]i understood oj because he was a hof football player. But i don't understand why so many people were so captivated by this case. It's just another murder trial, one of thousands all over the us each year. Yet somehow the media and so many folks latched onto this and couldn't pull away from it.

Why is this case so special?[/quote]

agree

mredskins 07-05-2011 03:43 PM

[quote=Schneed10;809434]I understood OJ because he was a HOF football player. But I don't understand why so many people were so captivated by this case. It's just another murder trial, one of thousands all over the US each year. Yet somehow the media and so many folks latched onto this and couldn't pull away from it.

Why is this case so special?[/quote]

I saw this post on another site and it seemed to kind of make sense.

[I]I have avoided pretty much 100% of this case, but what you just mentioned has been somewhat fascinating to me as well. I think this case just kind of *happened* to be the perfect storm of hooks that draw people into becoming emotionally attached to a story.

Like that little baby that fell in the well 20 or so years ago.

Sometimes, the elements are just there and with the right fanning of flames by the media - it just catches on like wildfire :shrug:[/I]

Schneed10 07-05-2011 04:00 PM

[quote=mredskins;809436]I saw this post on another site and it seemed to kind of make sense.

[I]I have avoided pretty much 100% of this case, but what you just mentioned has been somewhat fascinating to me as well. I think this case just kind of *happened* to be the perfect storm of hooks that draw people into becoming emotionally attached to a story.[/I]

[I]Like that little baby that fell in the well 20 or so years ago.[/I]

[I]Sometimes, the elements are just there and with the right fanning of flames by the media - it just catches on like wildfire :shrug:[/I][/quote]

Recognizing that you're quoting someone else and may not be equipped to answer this, but what exactly are the elements that make people care about this case more than others? I just can't see it, myself.

GMScud 07-05-2011 04:09 PM

[quote=Schneed10;809439]Recognizing that you're quoting someone else and may not be equipped to answer this, but what exactly are the elements that make people care about this case more than others? I just can't see it, myself.[/quote]

Agreed, and I think the fascination with this case is a gigantic waste of time and media resources.

I don't know the facts of the case other than a child was killed and Anthony was accused, so I really can't have an opinion on the not guilty verdict.

The coverage of it all baffles me however.

FRPLG 07-05-2011 04:20 PM

[quote=mredskins;809431]Really? It is not even good.[/quote]

Depends on how we define good.

mredskins 07-05-2011 04:21 PM

[quote=Schneed10;809439]Recognizing that you're quoting someone else and may not be equipped to answer this, but what exactly are the elements that make people care about this case more than others? I just can't see it, myself.[/quote]

I can speak for myself as far as why I was drawn in. I think I got drawn in becasue I have a 3 year old now it is impossible for me to think someone could do this to a child.

Now by drawn in I have watched it out of the corner of my eye. there are folks or should I say moms in my office that have hung on every word of it. I think they are drawn for the same reason I was but more so because they are moms.

I say the same thing about missing children, if you went by the media you think just a handful of kids are taken each year but then you go to the post office and there are a ton of missing kid photo's, why are some blasted on the big screen while others are not even mentioned.

I think in order for it to be wide spread the victims and or the criminals need to be close to your typical American family. The closer they are too the typical American family the more drawn in folks become becasue it becomes a "this could easily happen to me " thing.

As far as OJ he is celebrate so that was easily the draw.

FRPLG 07-05-2011 04:23 PM

This has always fascinated me.

One thing I heard a while back is this: you almost never hear about stories like this that center around anything but young white females.

Chico23231 07-05-2011 04:26 PM

Several moving parts to this answer...first the story is actually 3 parts...missing child, childs death and mother's arrest, and the trial. It plays like a book, each section with its perfect creshendo of drama. Second are the players...the innocence of a beautiful child, the all-american-suburbean girl-next-door, and the disfunctional family. All these players can be easily related to most americans. Lastly, our tabloid, explotive culture which is media driven in ratings and advertsing. Information and opinion is presented 24/7/365 in multi access vehicles...tv, internet, phone, radio blah blah blah.

I havent followed the story, but good lord I cant avoid it either.

mredskins 07-05-2011 04:33 PM

[quote=Chico23231;809448]Several moving parts to this answer...first the story is actually 3 parts...missing child, childs death and mother's arrest, and the trial. It plays like a book, each section with its perfect creshendo of drama. Second are the players...the innocence of a beautiful child, the all-american-suburbean girl-next-door, and the disfunctional family. All these players can be easily related to most americans. Lastly, our tabloid, explotive culture which is media driven in ratings and advertsing. Information and opinion is presented 24/7/365 in multi access vehicles...tv, internet, phone, radio blah blah blah.

I havent followed the story, but good lord I cant avoid it either.[/quote]

Well said.

Schneed10 07-05-2011 04:37 PM

[quote=Chico23231;809448]Several moving parts to this answer...first the story is actually 3 parts...missing child, childs death and mother's arrest, and the trial. It plays like a book, each section with its perfect creshendo of drama. Second are the players...the innocence of a beautiful child, the all-american-suburbean girl-next-door, and the disfunctional family. All these players can be easily related to most americans. Lastly, our tabloid, explotive culture which is media driven in ratings and advertsing. Information and opinion is presented 24/7/365 in multi access vehicles...tv, internet, phone, radio blah blah blah.

Good answer, that makes some sense. I still don't get it, but I guess the sequential revealing of parts of the information would hook some folks like a Lifetime movie.

On the media point though, do you think the media can actually influence what people are interested in? Or do you think people dictate what the media shows? I think it's the latter. If Nancy Grace is on at the mechanic's while I'm getting my car fixed, even if I'm exposed to her I don't find myself the least bit interested in what she's saying. All I'm doing is looking around the room with pleading eyes begging for the channel to be changed to Sports Center.

Clearly there are people that are interested in the Casey Anthony story, that's why the media covers it. I guess it's like a real life whodunit to some people.

I could just never credit a blowhard like Nancy Grace with ever making a single soul care about something.

FRPLG 07-05-2011 04:55 PM

[quote=Schneed10;809451]On the media point though, do you think the media can actually influence what people are interested in? Or do you think people dictate what the media shows? I think it's the latter. If Nancy Grace is on at the mechanic's while I'm getting my car fixed, even if I'm exposed to her I don't find myself the least bit interested in what she's saying. All I'm doing is looking around the room with pleading eyes begging for the channel to be changed to Sports Center.

Clearly there are people that are interested in the Casey Anthony story, that's why the media covers it. I guess it's like a real life whodunit to some people.

I could just never credit a blowhard like Nancy Grace with ever making a single soul care about something.[/quote]

I think you're an exception. I generally think people are gossipy and nosey and want "in on the info" about stories like this. What the media does is somehow pick and choose which stories become the big ones. It's not like this woman killing her kid is unique in much of any way. And I don't buy that he story played out in a way that made it more "TV friendly". I think it happened and the local station did a good initial job getting it out and because it is about a mom maybe killing her young white female child the national media looks at it and throws it against the wall to see if it sticks. And of course it stick because our immobile laszy populace loves this crap.

GMScud 07-05-2011 05:00 PM

[quote=FRPLG;809454]I think you're an exception. I generally think people are gossipy and nosey and want "in on the info" about stories like this. What the media does is somehow pick and choose which stories become the big ones. It's not like this woman killing her kid is unique in much of any way. And I don't buy that he story played out in a way that made it more "TV friendly". I think it happened and the local station did a good initial job getting it out and because it is about a mom maybe killing her young white female child the national media looks at it and throws it against the wall to see if it sticks. [B]And of course it stick because our immobile laszy populace loves this crap.[/B][/quote]

Signature-worthy, and so true.

GMScud 07-05-2011 05:10 PM

Think about this though- if she really didn't do it, she just spent about 3 years in jail for nothing. That sucks. Plus she'll never shed the stigma from this case. If I were her I'd cut/dye my hair, change my name, and move far far away.

mlmdub130 07-05-2011 05:34 PM

[quote=GMScud;809460]Think about this though- if she really didn't do it, she just spent about 3 years in jail for nothing. That sucks. Plus she'll never shed the stigma from this case. If I were her I'd cut/dye my hair, change my name, and move far far away.[/quote]

she was actually found guilty of 4 counts of misleading police and they'll probably give her time served, i think each count is up to one year.

it will be intersting to see if he vanishes or tries to cash in on interview and book deals, i'm guessing the latter of the two. the one thing i know about this bitch that is an undeniable fact is, she is f-ing insane.

12thMan 07-05-2011 05:39 PM

I think you had a couple of different elements that made this case unique. First of all, Caylee Anthony was reported missing 31 days after she was actually missing. So not only do you have a missing person's case, in this case a toddler, but now an apparent cover up as well.

Secondly, a major news network, HLN which is a spinoff of CNN, singlehanded embraced and publicized this case for nearly three years. Nancy Grace has been beating this Casey Anthony is guilty drum for a few years and wouldn't let it go. So once the trial started, the other media outlets had to join the ratings rat race, hence the obsession.

But allow me to play the race card for a second (I know I'm going to get some blow back and disagreement on this, but oh well). Had Caylee Anthony been Tyrone Jamaal Anthony or Miguel Felipe Anthony, this shit would have never been mentioned in the local media much less become a national obsession. While I'm not directly accusing the media of blatant racism, they do pick and choose which stories they deem important and worthy of coverage and airtime and more often than not, these missing person cases tend to favor caucasions.

MTK 07-05-2011 07:29 PM

Women in particular are all fired up about this, and while I understand I think the right decision was made. There was just no evidence that directly tied her to the death of her daughter, it was all circumstantial at best. There's no doubt to me she had some sort of involvement, to what extent we'll probably never know.

NC_Skins 07-05-2011 07:36 PM

/thread

NC_Skins 07-05-2011 07:37 PM

[quote=Mattyk;809471]Women in particular are all fired up about this, and while I understand I think the right decision was made. There was just no evidence that directly tied her to the death of her daughter, it was all circumstantial at best. There's no doubt to me she had some sort of involvement, to what extent we'll probably never know.[/quote]

I imagine there are many people are sitting in jail right now based on "circumstantial" evidence?

JoeRedskin 07-05-2011 07:58 PM

[quote=12thMan;809463]I think you had a couple of different elements that made this case unique. First of all, Caylee Anthony was reported missing 31 days after she was actually missing. So not only do you have a missing person's case, in this case a toddler, but now an apparent cover up as well.

Secondly, a major news network, HLN which is a spinoff of CNN, singlehanded embraced and publicized this case for nearly three years. Nancy Grace has been beating this Casey Anthony is guilty drum for a few years and wouldn't let it go. So once the trial started, the other media outlets had to join the ratings rat race, hence the obsession.

But allow me to play the race card for a second (I know I'm going to get some blow back and disagreement on this, but oh well). Had Caylee Anthony been Tyrone Jamaal Anthony or Miguel Felipe Anthony, this shit would have never been mentioned in the local media much less become a national obsession. [B]While I'm not directly accusing the media of blatant racism, they do pick and choose which stories they deem important and worthy of coverage and airtime and more often than not, these missing person cases tend to favor caucasions[/B].[/quote]

I don't think you going to get much disagreement. Stories about young white middle class women disappearing, killing their kids or getting sexually abused by the family all get bigger play than if the story was about someone poor, male and/or of color.

As Schneed said, things like this happen all the time. Sad but true. In Baltimore alone, I can recall two or three cases of african american women being accused of killing their young child in the last year or so. In the media, that's one headline (maybe two) then moving on.

JoeRedskin 07-05-2011 08:03 PM

[quote=Mattyk;809471]Women in particular are all fired up about this, and while I understand I think the right decision was made. There was just no evidence that directly tied her to the death of her daughter, it was all circumstantial at best. There's no doubt to me she had some sort of involvement, to what extent we'll probably never know.[/quote]

In the "CSI" America, it's seems to be assumed that, if there isn't a forensic smoking gun, you have "reasonable doubt". To me, that's just an excuse to abdicate making a decision. People were found guilty before fingerprint tracing and DNA evidence was around.

I haven't been following the case but, if there was strong circumstantial evidence, that, IMHO, should have been enough to convict.

MTK 07-05-2011 08:08 PM

[quote=NC_Skins;809474]I imagine there are many people are sitting in jail right now based on "circumstantial" evidence?[/quote]

Of course, doesn't make it right, and juries certainly aren't perfect, but in this case I agree with the decision.

MTK 07-05-2011 08:12 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;809478]In the "CSI" America, it's seems to be assumed that, if there isn't a forensic smoking gun, you have "reasonable doubt". To me, that's just an excuse to abdicate making a decision. People were found guilty before fingerprint tracing and DNA evidence was around.

I haven't been following the case but, if there was strong circumstantial evidence, that, IMHO, should have been enough to convict.[/quote]

Well again, there wasn't any strong evidence that tied her directly to the crime, at least none that I've heard about.

People want to relate this to the OJ trial, but I think there was much stronger evidence against OJ than there was in this case.

SmootSmack 07-05-2011 08:29 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;809477]I don't think you going to get much disagreement. Stories about young white middle class women disappearing, killing their kids or getting sexually abused by the family all get bigger play than if the story was about someone poor, male and/or of color.

As Schneed said, things like this happen all the time. Sad but true. In Baltimore alone, I can recall two or three cases of african american women being accused of killing their young child in the last year or so. In the media, that's one headline (maybe two) then moving on.[/quote]

There are only so many stories that can be covered. Either you cover some, or you don't cover any. You can't cover them all. Middle class women in their mid 30s to mid 50s is a key demographic for local news and HLN. HLN's ratings have been through the roof with this trial. And it's a fortuitous coincidence that their rebranding in 2008 coincided with the first months of this story.

But as to the white vs. black question, I recall from my local news days participating in surveys focus groups to get a sense of what people like and didn't like and what they did and did not want to see in their local news coverage. One thing that had really stood out to me was the significantly high share of African Americans who did not want these stories covered when it came to their own race. Not in this way. The general response was "We know there are enough troubles in our community, you don't need to sensationalize it. If someone is missing or has been killed, tell the story only as far as it will help find the person or solve the case, or there's no need for us to watch your station." Still, some of our biggest stories during that period had to do with missing people (of multiple races)

Now I'm not saying that's why "white stories" are more extensively covered. I think it's simply a matter of the people these networks are primarily targeting tend to be riveted by these types of stories. I just thought it was interesting.

As for Ms. Anthony, if she's not guilty then who is she covering for? I mean from the start she was lying (with the whole fake nanny deal), so she must have known something?

FRPLG 07-05-2011 09:01 PM

[quote=12thMan;809463]I think you had a couple of different elements that made this case unique. First of all, Caylee Anthony was reported missing 31 days after she was actually missing. So not only do you have a missing person's case, in this case a toddler, but now an apparent cover up as well.

But allow me to play the race card for a second (I know I'm going to get some blow back and disagreement on this, but oh well). Had Caylee Anthony been Tyrone Jamaal Anthony or Miguel Felipe Anthony, this shit would have never been mentioned in the local media much less become a national obsession. While I'm not directly accusing the media of blatant racism, they do pick and choose which stories they deem important and worthy of coverage and airtime and more often than not, these missing person cases tend to favor caucasions.[/quote]

Yeah it is hard to ignore the fact that the only murder/kidnap/missing persons cases that get national attention like this are either truly noteworthy like a mom killing her five kids or cases involving young dead white girls (young being up through age 18). Every now and then a older white female gets attention but only if she was pregnant or pretty. 12th is 100% right.

FRPLG 07-05-2011 09:04 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;809478]In the "CSI" America, it's seems to be assumed that, if there isn't a forensic smoking gun, you have "reasonable doubt". To me, that's just an excuse to abdicate making a decision. People were found guilty before fingerprint tracing and DNA evidence was around.

I haven't been following the case but, if there was strong circumstantial evidence, that, IMHO, should have been enough to convict.[/quote]

The whole case was basically "that seems like she's guilty" or "that doesn't mae any sense." They didn't really have anything. They couldn't even really piece together a feasible timeline.

FRPLG 07-05-2011 09:10 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;809484]There are only so many stories that can be covered. Either you cover some, or you don't cover any. You can't cover them all. Middle class women in their mid 30s to mid 50s is a key demographic for local news and HLN. HLN's ratings have been through the roof with this trial. And it's a fortuitous coincidence that their rebranding in 2008 coincided with the first months of this story.

But as to the white vs. black question, I recall from my local news days participating in surveys focus groups to get a sense of what people like and didn't like and what they did and did not want to see in their local news coverage. One thing that had really stood out to me was the significantly high share of African Americans who did not want these stories covered when it came to their own race. Not in this way. The general response was "We know there are enough troubles in our community, you don't need to sensationalize it. If someone is missing or has been killed, tell the story only as far as it will help find the person or solve the case, or there's no need for us to watch your station." Still, some of our biggest stories during that period had to do with missing people (of multiple races)

Now I'm not saying that's why "white stories" are more extensively covered. I think it's simply a matter of the people these networks are primarily targeting tend to be riveted by these types of stories. I just thought it was interesting.

As for Ms. Anthony, if she's not guilty then who is she covering for? I mean from the start she was lying (with the whole fake nanny deal), so she must have known something?[/quote]
That's an interesting perspective. No pun intended but the world and decisions are never black and white. I think what many perceive as racism in today's world is more about making business decisions.

Schneed10 07-05-2011 10:35 PM

[quote=FRPLG;809495]That's an interesting perspective. No pun intended but the world and decisions are never black and white. I think what many perceive as racism in today's world is more about making business decisions.[/quote]

Agree wholeheartedly. The media just appeals to the masses.

I just think the masses are morons.