Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Game Tape: Ryan Torain (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=42459)

Dirtbag59 05-25-2011 04:40 PM

Game Tape: Ryan Torain

I'll use this thread to post game tape of Ryan Torain.

[B][I]Update: Bears game sans sound can be found [URL="http://youtu.be/eNd3mIBAYQ0"]here.[/URL] If you at least need music may I suggest something by [URL="http://youtu.be/vQVeaIHWWck"]Beethoven [/URL]to enhance the experience.[/I][/B]

[YT]GTQTJX30bBs[/YT]

[YT]v01fjiNXElU[/YT]

It's amazing how easy it was to put together RB highlights compared to QB's. This video took me a 1/4 of the time to make when compared to the Grossman videos. Assuming anyone cares QB videos take about an hour to an hour and a half to put together. Running Backs on the other hand look like they're going to take 20 to 25 minutes per game.

In other news the John Beck videos are a complete failure. We didn't quite capture the viewership of the South American audience like we originally planned.

Chicago or Philly Week 4 will likely be the next Torain video.

[B]Bonus Video:[/B] [URL="http://youtu.be/k0EMEyOOlDo"]Keiland Williams Week 11 vs Titans[/URL]

Paintrain 05-25-2011 05:09 PM

Re: Game Tape: Ryan Torain

Helu and Torrain can provide a nice smash and dash combo whenever football resumes.

Uncle Skins 05-25-2011 05:39 PM

Helu looks exciting. I hope our young guys can get into camp on time so they can take their lumps early. Torrain certainly had some great games last year.

You can tell Shanny likes the mold of the shifty, atheltic RB. These two run kind of similar and Torrain isn't afraid to lower the shoulder.

Alvin Walton 05-25-2011 07:42 PM

Nice move on that touchdown at 4:00.
Nice blocks by Cooley and Sellers too.

Dirtbag59 05-25-2011 08:10 PM

The thing that bothers me is how few carries I'm finding in the second half of games and so far I've come up with only two explanations. Either the defense has allowed to many points (Dallas and Indy) or they're getting tired in the second half and giving up long drives allowing the opposition to control possession in the second half (Tampa). Either way this has to change.

Dirtbag59 05-25-2011 09:10 PM

Tampa game is now up. Check first post for embedded video.
[URL="http://youtu.be/GTQTJX30bBs"]Ryan Torain Week 14 vs Buccaneers[/URL]

GTripp0012 05-25-2011 09:28 PM

Torain's vision is non-existant. But he's so smooth once he's past the LOS that he's going to be employed in the NFL for at least the next few years, and in a ball-carrying role. If not here, then somewhere else.

Torain needs one more skill to be a legit starting NFL runningback. He either needs to add the ability to go the distance when he touches the ball, or he needs the decisiveness to not try to take everything to the corner and never get upfield. If he could solve just one of those problems, he'd be a legit starter.

Basically, Torain is an extreme boom-or-bust runner whose "boom" typically ends at 15 yards.

Dirtbag59 05-25-2011 09:43 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;804531]Torain's vision is non-existant. But he's so smooth once he's past the LOS that he's going to be employed in the NFL for at least the next few years, and in a ball-carrying role. If not here, then somewhere else.

Torain needs one more skill to be a legit starting NFL runningback. He either needs to add the ability to go the distance when he touches the ball, or he needs the decisiveness to not try to take everything to the corner and never get upfield. If he could solve just one of those problems, he'd be a legit starter.

Basically, Torain is an extreme boom-or-bust runner whose "boom" typically ends at 15 yards.[/quote]

He has to be doing something right though. I mean I agree that he goes to the outside to much but how he emerges from these crowds after going so far laterally is beyond me.

As for the boom or bust, I guess thats just the point of zone blocking to begin with as theres such an emphasis on getting to the second level in the interest of breaking off big runs. Where as power blocking is obsessed with making sure that anyone at the line of scrimmage is blocked even if it means leaving linebackers virtually untouched.

Uncle Skins 05-25-2011 09:57 PM

[quote=Dirtbag59;804536][B]He has to be doing something right though. [/B] I mean I agree that he goes to the outside to much but how he emerges from these crowds after going so far laterally is beyond me.

As for the boom or bust, I guess thats just the point of zone blocking to begin with as theres such an emphasis on getting to the second level in the interest of breaking off big runs. Where as power blocking is obsessed with making sure that anyone at the line of scrimmage is blocked even if it means leaving linebackers virtually untouched.[/quote]

I agree. He is always falling forward and he is one cut and done as opposed to some of these other backs who are triple faking their way to negative yardage.

He plays well in this system so that is another advantage. I feel he can serve as a cost efficient role player who can be valuable.

GTripp0012 05-25-2011 09:58 PM

[quote=Dirtbag59;804536]He has to be doing something right though. I mean I agree that he goes to the outside to much but how he emerges from these crowds after going so far laterally is beyond me.

As for the boom or bust, I guess thats just the point of zone blocking to begin with as theres such an emphasis on getting to the second level in the interest of breaking off big runs. Where as power blocking is obsessed with making sure that anyone at the line of scrimmage is blocked even if it means leaving linebackers virtually untouched.[/quote]Well, I don't know if I would say that he has to be doing something right. I think Torain makes a lot of good things happen simply by moving his feet in the hole. He doesn't really ever run to daylight, so there's limited upside to his strong balance and lower body strength. The upside is that he'll keep running until two or three guys bring him down. But Keiland Williams, for example, runs with much better vision and often does find space to break a long run that Torain wouldn't have.

Ryan Torain is a hard runner who rarely gives up on a play. He's just not a particularly effective runner. But he's the kind of guy who will tear to shreds a terrible run defense (such as Tampa Bay) because there are gaping holes in the defense created by the blocking, and he usually powers through the first tackle and drags other players for extra yards.

Those yards after first contact aren't meaningless, but they don't outweigh the frequency at which a Torain carry can put the Redskins in long yardage.

Dirtbag59 05-25-2011 10:05 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;804544]

Ryan Torain is a hard runner who rarely gives up on a play. He's just not a particularly effective runner. [B]But he's the kind of guy who will tear to shreds a terrible run defense (such as Tampa Bay)[/B] because there are gaping holes in the defense created by the blocking, and he usually powers through the first tackle and drags other players for extra yards.
[/quote]

I had the same fear that he was only doing well against poor run defenses (Indy and Tampa who were both in the bottom 10 in the league). However Torain also averaged over 6 yards per carry with a 120 yards rushing against the 4th best run defense in Chicago so at the very least he has that to his credit. Bottom line though, with eight 3-4 games on next years schedule we desperately need Torain to be healthy as a huge part of running against 3-4 teams is breaking arm tackles.

skinsfaninok 05-25-2011 10:06 PM

we r board

Dirtbag59 05-25-2011 10:08 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;804547]we r board[/quote]

Are you not ENTERTAINED?

GTripp0012 05-25-2011 10:11 PM

[quote=Dirtbag59;804546]I had the same fear that he was only doing well against poor run defenses (Indy and Tampa who were both in the bottom 10 in the league). However Torain also averaged over 6 yards per carry with a 120 yards rushing against the 4th best run defense in Chicago so at the very least he has that to his credit. Bottom line though, with eight 3-4 games on next years schedule we desperately need Torain to be healthy as a huge part of running against 3-4 teams is breaking arm tackles.[/quote]Some of his more careless ball security issue aside, I thought Chicago was his best game as a runner. That was also a particularly good game for our rushing scheme. We really did have the Chicago D off balance all game.

The last play of the Bears game was Torain's best play of the season. If he learns to take that run to the end zone, he can be a true NFL feature back.

30gut 05-26-2011 04:03 PM

[quote=Dirtbag59;804511]The thing that bothers me is how few carries I'm finding in the second half of games and so far I've come up with only two explanations. Either the defense has allowed to many points (Dallas and Indy) or they're getting tired in the second half and giving up long drives allowing the opposition to control possession in the second half (Tampa). Either way this has to change.[/quote]First off thanks for these youtube clips.

Or Kyle gets away from calling runs?