Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Game Tape: Ryan Torain (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=42459)

30gut 05-31-2011 09:11 AM

Re: Game Tape: Ryan Torain

[quote=Bucket;804891]I thought K. Williams looked below average at best on that film. Maybe I was looking at it wrong.[/quote]We probably just see it different, but I would be happy to point out the plays I thought where he displayed good vision and/or made good cut-back/jump cut moves.

Just let me know if you care to discuss.

-30g

NLC1054 06-01-2011 01:14 PM

Has anyone ever noticed that Mike and Kyle's praise of Torain always seems kind lukewarm?

In the interviews I've seen about Torain and Keiland, it always seemed to me that they liked Torain, but they [i]really[/i] liked Keiland, because Keiland fits that mold of "one cut" more than Torain does. The Bears game probably was his most impressive game, but his other games were against subpar run defenses.

He just doesn't fit the kind of "one cut mold" the way Shanahan likes. He's still productive, but he actually kind of seems like he'd be a better Joe Gibbs back, in a weird way.

freddyg12 06-01-2011 01:51 PM

[quote=NLC1054;805164]Has anyone ever noticed that Mike and Kyle's praise of Torain always seems kind lukewarm?

In the interviews I've seen about Torain and Keiland, it always seemed to me that they liked Torain, but they [I]really[/I] liked Keiland, because Keiland fits that mold of "one cut" more than Torain does. The Bears game probably was his most impressive game, but his other games were against subpar run defenses.

He just doesn't fit the kind of "one cut mold" the way Shanahan likes. He's still productive, but he actually kind of seems like he'd be a better Joe Gibbs back, in a weird way.[/quote]

why did they play him more than Williams then? GTripp pointed it out that they only gave the ball to Williams when Torain et al were hurt.

NLC1054 06-01-2011 02:01 PM

[quote=freddyg12;805169]why did they play him more than Williams then? GTripp pointed it out that they only gave the ball to Williams when Torain et al were hurt.[/quote]

Because despite him not fitting the typical "Shanahan running back" mold, he was still more productive. Torain had the hot hand, and a lot of his big runs came after contact or breaking a tackle. Keiland wasn't going to run through anyone like Torain did.

But Keiland still displayed better field vision and was a better pass catcher and pass protector than Torain.

It's hard to argue with production, but I just seem to remember a couple interviews with Mike and Kyle where they weren't as free flowing with their praise of Torain as they were with Keiland.

SmootSmack 06-01-2011 02:24 PM

Welcome to the board NLC

NLC1054 06-01-2011 02:27 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;805178]Welcome to the board NLC[/quote]

Thanks, I appreciate it.

MTK 06-01-2011 02:32 PM

KW will definitely have a role here next year. He's a nice dual threat with good vision.

SmootSmack 06-01-2011 03:03 PM

[quote=NLC1054;805180]Thanks, I appreciate it.[/quote]

So what brings you here. How long have you been a fan of the Skins, etcetera, etcetera?

SmootSmack 06-01-2011 03:04 PM

[quote=Mattyk;805182]KW will definitely have a role here next year. He's a nice dual threat with good vision.[/quote]

He can't block worth shit, as I recall. But he's good in the open field with the ball in his hands

NLC1054 06-01-2011 03:11 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;805196]He can't block worth shit, as I recall. But he's good in the open field with the ball in his hands[/quote]

Mike Shanahan said that K-Wil was the best blocker on the team after CP went down. Now that's not saying a whole lot considering CP is one of the best blocking backs in the game, but compare his blocking to Torain and like, James Davis, and it's a lot better. I was the one who cut the film of Donovan McNabb in the Colts game, and Keiland has some pretty impressive blitz pick-ups. That's the reason he was out there on third down so often.

MTK 06-01-2011 03:16 PM

Yeah KW was pretty decent in his blitz pickups if I remember right.

Torain is strictly a 2 down player, I can see one of the new kids beating him out.

SmootSmack 06-01-2011 03:16 PM

[quote=NLC1054;805199]Mike Shanahan said that K-Wil was the best blocker on the team after CP went down. Now that's not saying a whole lot considering CP is one of the best blocking backs in the game, but compare his blocking to Torain and like, James Davis, and it's a lot better. I was the one who cut the film of Donovan McNabb in the Colts game, and Keiland has some pretty impressive blitz pick-ups. That's the reason he was out there on third down so often.[/quote]

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Last season feels like so long ago it's all a blur. Maybe I'm still thinking of Ladell Betts

NLC1054 06-01-2011 03:18 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;805204]Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Last season feels like so long ago it's all a blur. Maybe I'm still thinking of Ladell Betts[/quote]

Hahaha.

Maybe you're thinking of James Davis. He whiffed on a few blitz pick-ups.

Or it could be Torain. He wasn't any better, and he wore number 46.

SmootSmack 06-01-2011 03:19 PM

[quote=NLC1054;805206]Hahaha.

Maybe you're thinking of James Davis. He whiffed on a few blitz pick-ups.

Or it could be Torain. He wasn't any better, and he wore number 46.[/quote]

Woah Woah Woah....do you dare to say something negative about ATV in my presence?! That's pretty bold

NLC1054 06-01-2011 03:33 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;805207]Woah Woah Woah....do you dare to say something negative about ATV in my presence?! That's pretty bold[/quote]

Oh I do dare say something negative about ATV in your presence!

Gauntlet=thrown down.