Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   FedEx to Install Party Decks; Remove Seats (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=42553)

ArtMonkDrillz 06-06-2011 07:25 PM

FedEx to Install Party Decks; Remove Seats

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-installing-standing-room-party-decks-at-fedex/2011/06/06/AGvVhWKH_blog.html]Redskins installing standing room party decks at FedEx - The Insider - The Washington Post[/url]

So does anyone here have season tickets in the affected areas in the upper endzones? Personally I've found these seats to be the worst in the whole stadium (I basically couldn't hear a thing since there aren't any speakers nearby) but I'd be pretty upset if I was forced to pay more for my season tickets because my seats were removed from under me, if that's the way they go.

Also, any thoughts on the party decks in general? I guess this won't help some people's image of a stadium full of drunks, but I guess some people will enjoy it.

hooskins 06-06-2011 08:03 PM

Good idea IMO. Sucks if you have pay more in order to relocate seats and can't afford it.

FRPLG 06-07-2011 12:33 AM

Re: FedEx to Install Party Decks; Remove Seats

Everyone hates the stadium so much. Might as well try something to make it better. I am sure someone thinks this is DS just being greedy but I doubt he makes much extra moolah in the long run on this unless it does actually improve the experience.

Ruhskins 06-07-2011 12:59 AM

If the idea is to remove seats that were bad, then I think it is a good idea. I thought I read on this same article that the people affected would be moved to other seats, I hope they get this right. Not sure about the party deck, but I guess it would be a nice option to some folks.

tryfuhl 06-07-2011 07:37 AM

Again? Why not

irish 06-07-2011 11:48 AM

I dont have a problem with it but IMO it will increase the drunk factor at games. I also think this will help reduce the Redskins burden of keeping up with this phoney sell out/wait list they like to hype.

Hog1 06-07-2011 01:53 PM

[quote=firstdown;806102]The question I have is anyone going to bang a chick on the bath room floor on opening night to break in the new party deck?[/quote]

It...AIN'T a party unless Roethlesberger's there.....

skinsfan69 06-07-2011 01:54 PM

A party deck at a football stadium makes no sense. To me that means less people watching the game and it's going to worsen the already poor home field advantage even more. But I guess it doesn't matter anyway cause 40% of the people there are rooting for the other team anyway.

SmootSmack 06-07-2011 01:57 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;806125]A party deck at a football stadium makes no sense. To me that means less people watching the game and it's going to worsen the already poor home field advantage even more. But I guess it doesn't matter anyway cause 40% of the people there are rooting for the other team anyway.[/quote]

Well it's not primarily for the Redskins football games. It's for the other events that are increasingly taking place there

mredskins 06-07-2011 02:04 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;806126]Well it's not primarily for the Redskins football games. It's for the other events that are increasingly taking place there[/quote]

Yeah becasue we know the Redskins hardly play there anymore.

mlmpetert 06-07-2011 02:04 PM

[quote=irish;806078]I dont have a problem with it but IMO it will increase the drunk factor at games. I also think this will help reduce the Redskins burden of keeping up with this phoney sell out/wait list they like to hype.[/quote]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Honestly i kind of feel like the way NFL teams are going to be able to keep filling stadiums is by catering to the drunk fan. People with discretionary income to throw at football games season after season arnt usually families.....[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Also i dont think a big stadium works in DC. Is the melting pot of the country, there are so many people that live there that are from other areas and route for other teams. Anything that can be done to keep seats in Fedex filled with Redskins fans needs to be considered even if it means reducing the size. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

mlmpetert 06-07-2011 02:06 PM

[quote=mredskins;806127]Yeah becasue we know the Redskins hardly play there anymore.[/quote]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Im sooooo tired hearing about Kenny Chesney concerts disguised as a Redskins email[/FONT][/COLOR]

ArtMonkDrillz 06-07-2011 02:13 PM

[quote=mlmpetert;806128][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Honestly i kind of feel like the way NFL teams are going to be able to keep filling stadiums is by catering to the drunk fan. People with discretionary income to throw at football games season after season arnt usually families.....[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][B]Also i dont think a big stadium works in DC. Is the melting pot of the country, there are so many people that live there that are from other areas and route for other teams. Anything that can be done to keep seats in Fedex filled with Redskins fans needs to be considered even if it means reducing the size. [/B] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]I 100% agree. I think part of the reason we also see so many visiting fans in FedEx is that with 90,000+ seats it's just too easy for them to get tickets. By limiting the number you would hope it would reduce the number of tickets even available to away fans.

irish 06-07-2011 02:41 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;806134]I 100% agree. I think part of the reason we also see so many visiting fans in FedEx is that with 90,000+ seats it's just too easy for them to get tickets. By limiting the number you would hope it would reduce the number of tickets even available to away fans.[/quote]

I think the owners are realizing that the old stadium model is dying. With HDTV so good and all the hassle of going to the game it seems owners are doing anything they can to replicate the home experience at the stadium. A big party with a bunch of friends is part of the home experience.

As an interesting side note, FedEx which opened in 1997, is now the oldest stadium in the NFC East.

SkinDogg 06-07-2011 07:35 PM

[quote=mlmpetert;806128][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Honestly i kind of feel like the way NFL teams are going to be able to keep filling stadiums is by catering to the drunk fan. People with discretionary income to throw at football games season after season arnt usually families.....[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Also i dont think a big stadium works in DC. [B]Is the melting pot of the country, there are so many people that live there that are from other areas and route for other teams. Anything that can be done to keep seats in Fedex filled with Redskins fans needs to be considered even if it means reducing the size.[/B] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]

Eh, dunno. Maybe you're right, but DC has always been a transient city. But when the Skins won, the stadium was [I]always [/I]packed with Redskins fans!

irish 06-08-2011 07:01 AM

[quote=SkinDogg;806282]Eh, dunno. Maybe you're right, but DC has always been a transient city. But when the Skins won, the stadium was [I]always [/I]packed with Redskins fans![/quote]

I have seen a few studies that show DC is no more transient than any other big city it just seems that way because the Govt changes every few years.

mredskins 06-08-2011 08:07 AM

[quote=mlmpetert;806129][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Im sooooo tired hearing about Kenny Chesney concerts disguised as a Redskins email[/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]

I think you are in luck that concert was last weekend.

mooby 06-08-2011 11:55 AM

My friend has season tix in 412 but last season they moved him from row 20 to row 6 so he'll probably be unaffected by this. I've been to Fedex 8 times in the last 7 years and 7 out of those 8 times I sat in the affected areas. I don't think I'm gonna miss those areas much tbh. As far as the game day experience goes it won't be affected too much.

rypper11 06-08-2011 12:06 PM

The party decks in Charlotte are inside and they are horrible. Basically you pay to stand around inside and watch the game on tvs. The one in Tampa is awesome though (on the ship).

81forHOF 06-08-2011 06:18 PM

I think my seats are affected. I'm in Section 414 row 8 but I don't know if the deck is going to replace the entire section or not.

Believe it or not, I like my section - I always said that if I eventually move down to row 1 I would stay there. I like being head on with the screens and being the first to know whether a FG is good or not. And when the scoring is on that side it is a great view.

If my seats are still there I just hope nobody pukes on me from the party deck!

Giantone 06-09-2011 02:49 AM

[quote=rypper11;806370]The party decks in Charlotte are inside and they are horrible. Basically you pay to stand around inside and watch the game on tvs. The one in Tampa is awesome though (on the ship).[/quote]

The "New Meadowlands" is the same way(hate the place),they are inside and basicly is a bar with TV"s ,thing about Tampa is they were planned that way, were as Fed Ex wasn't .....this is a bad idea,more drunks instead of a better football experence.

Giantone 06-09-2011 02:53 AM

[quote=SkinDogg;806282]Eh, dunno. Maybe you're right, but DC has always been a transient city. But when the Skins won, the stadium was [I]always [/I]packed with Redskins fans![/quote]

See the thing is the Skins fans aren't all from DC,I know of Skins fans who travel to home games from NC,NJ,PA,WV and.............ny.

irish 06-09-2011 11:01 AM

[quote=Giantone;806509]See the thing is the Skins fans aren't all from DC,I know of Skins fans who travel to home games from NC,NJ,PA,WV and.............ny.[/quote]

And its amazing how many people born in the DC area arent Skins fans. That doesnt happen in places like Pittsburgh, GB or Chicago.

Monkeydad 06-09-2011 03:29 PM

Seats removed:
[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.redskins.com/media/2011/06/upper-bowl-renovation-06-08-2011-002.jpg[/IMG]

More pics:
[url=http://blog.redskins.com/2011/06/08/a-brief-update-on-the-construction-at-fedexfield/]A Brief Update On The Construction At FedExField[/url]

81forHOF 06-09-2011 05:36 PM

According to that picture it looks like my seats may still be there but it is too close to call!

SolidSnake84 06-10-2011 09:52 AM

The company that i work for is actually contracted to haul out the concrete risers that the seats used to set on. pretty cool.

I asked some of the drivers this morning before they left if they could take some pictures of the stadium for me!

fanarchist 06-10-2011 10:55 AM

Don't get things twisted. This isn't about fan patronage or appealling to the public. When a franchise hosts a home football game the overall revenue generated from the stadium seating is split 60-40 between the home team and the away team. However the money accrued from things like box seating, suites and party decks are siphoned directly into the pocket of the stadium owner. It's Dan disregarding the fans and trying to make another quick buck.

SmootSmack 06-10-2011 11:13 AM

That's one way to look at I suppose...perhaps not the right way though

fanarchist 06-10-2011 11:33 AM

No supposition needed because I just looked at it that way. But maybe you can tell me the right way to perceive it so I can pander to your sensibilities.

SmootSmack 06-10-2011 11:57 AM

It's not a flat 60-40 split between the home and away team. Redskins aren't the first and won't be the last team to do this. This is really about Fed Ex Field and all its potential events, not just Redskins games. It's not like Snyder is going to put the money in his pocket and go buy a yacht. I think he's shown that he invests the money the Redskins generate back into the team. You'd also have to see what the cost of the ticket is and how does that compare to what the cost is for the seats that were there. If they get 60% of a ticket that was say $75, but now they get 100% of a ticket that's $30...

fanarchist 06-10-2011 12:23 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;806705]It's not a flat 60-40 split between the home and away team. Redskins aren't the first and won't be the last team to do this. This is really about Fed Ex Field and all its potential events, not just Redskins games. It's not like Snyder is going to put the money in his pocket and go buy a yacht. I think he's shown that he invests the money the Redskins generate back into the team. You'd also have to see what the cost of the ticket is and how does that compare to what the cost is for the seats that were there. If they get 60% of a ticket that was say $75, but now they get 100% of a ticket that's $30...[/quote]

I didn't say it was a flat 60-40 split. It was an approximation, but it's still pretty close to 60-40. No, they're not the first. Nor did I say that they were the first. Dallas riddled their new stadium with leisure suites and party decks. He's investing this money back into the stadium, but as you said not necessarily back into the team. It's being used to facilitate "all it's potential events". I don't think we know the prices of the new party deck tickets yet, but if you do please tell me. I would be pretty surpised if Snyder shorts himself in that regard though.

mlmdub130 06-10-2011 12:48 PM

i think ss's point is in the grand scheme of things this difference in money isn't really a factor in the addition of party decks. it seems like a fair attempt to try and make a pretty crappy stadium just a little bit better. the ironic thing is how they keep saying that they are trying to make redskins games a more family friendly atmosphere, but i don't see how adding super cheap party deck seats are going to fix that problem.

the only really discouraging thing i take away from this is that with the new screens and now new party decks, it seems like the redskins might be staying in the dump that is Raljon MD for a while to come.

Lotus 06-10-2011 12:55 PM

[quote=fanarchist;806715]I didn't say it was a flat 60-40 split. It was an approximation, but it's still pretty close to 60-40. No, they're not the first. Nor did I say that they were the first. Dallas riddled their new stadium with leisure suites and party decks. He's investing this money back into the stadium, but as you said [B]not necessarily[/B] back into the team. It's being used to facilitate "all it's potential events". I don't think we know the prices of the new party deck tickets yet, but if you do please tell me. I would be pretty surpised if Snyder shorts himself in that regard though.[/quote]

You read SS's post differently than I do. I think your inclusion of the words "not necessarily" misrepresents SS's arguments that Snyder [B]does [/B]invest in the team (just ask Al Haynesworth).

fanarchist 06-10-2011 01:24 PM

A fair point. At the most, it'll probably only generate an extra 100k per season which isn't really a hefty sum of money when juxtaposed with a multi-million dollar company. So maybe it's not a huge factor, but I'm sure it's a factor. So what exactly is the grand scheme? A upper deck boxing ring for the melting pot to brew. Simply aesthetics. I just don't see how it makes the stadium better. It may make the experience more reasonably priced for people looking for a good time on a Sunday, but could care less about the Redskins or the outcome of their games. I do think it's cool for the gentrified 5k that, "According to the team, fans with seats in the impacted areas who chose not to move to higher-priced seats will be moved closer to the field or closer to the 50-yard line at no additional charge."

fanarchist 06-10-2011 01:32 PM

[quote=Lotus;806720]You read SS's post differently than I do. I think your inclusion of the words "not necessarily" misrepresents SS's arguments that Snyder [B]does [/B]invest in the team (just ask Al Haynesworth).[/quote]

and the sentence after that I go on to quote him saying it's also about potential events that are not affiliated with football. "Because FedExField is privately held, all of the expenses associated with the installation of the Party Decks will be borne by the Redskins. No public funding will be involved." That would mean the money is coming out of the organizations pocket but not all of it is going back to the team.

SmootSmack 06-10-2011 01:37 PM

I would be stunned if the price of a party deck ticket is the same as the seats that were once there.

And the ticket revenue split is 66% to the home team, 34% to the other 31 teams. Plus the money the home team makes from premium seat fees (which I don't even know these count as, premium seats that is) is what they really keep. The cost of the ticket, if I recall correctly, is subject to be "taken away" from the home team. The home team keeps their share of the club seat ticket and the away team's share is subject to be given out as a "loan" for new stadium financing. As was the case with Gilette Stadium and the New Meadowlands.

Bottom line-there's a lot more to it than just Snyder is screwing the fans to put money in his pocket

fanarchist 06-10-2011 02:21 PM

You're splitting hairs man. The split is basically 60-40. The extra 6% that your adding on goes to deductibles which can't really be calculated into revenue. I don't doubt that there is more to it than "Snyder is screwing the fans to put money in his pocket". But I believe it's still a portion of it. Didn't intend to take it to the tin hat conspiracy level, but I don't see any other real benefit to the addition.

Monkeydad 06-10-2011 02:55 PM

^12% difference actually but who's splitting hairs? :D

Why are you so angry, man? No NFL owner is going to make big financial decisions based on "what would the fans smile about"? You have to remember the the NFL is a business first, and a game at a distant second. There's no point demonizing Daniel Snyder so much for making decisions based on the profitability and long-term outlook of his COMPANY (notice I did not say "team"). Every owner must act that way or they'll fail miserably. Even an owner who hangs out with fans and tries to appear to be an owner and fan at the same time like Mark Cuban or the bird-flippin' Bud Adams will really be driven by his finances first. Welcome to reality.

fanarchist 06-10-2011 03:15 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;806731]^12% difference actually but who's splitting hairs? :D

Why are you so angry, man? No NFL owner is going to make big financial decisions based on "what would the fans smile about"? You have to remember the the NFL is a business first, and a game at a distant second. There's no point demonizing Daniel Snyder so much for making decisions based on the profitability and long-term outlook of his COMPANY (notice I did not say "team"). Every owner must act that way or they'll fail miserably. Even an owner who hangs out with fans and tries to appear to be an owner and fan at the same time like Mark Cuban or the bird-flippin' Bud Adams will really be driven by his finances first. Welcome to reality.[/quote]

I'm not angry. I'm doing the exact same thing that you're doing, which is attempting to bring the real motivation behind this move to the foreground. I realize the NFL is a business first which is why I brought this topic up to begin with. And if you refer to my previous post you'll see I too called it a COMPAMY. Just because the realization exists doesn't mean I should have to compromise the way I feel about misorly, unscrupulous megalomaniacs who force the masses to submit to their will. Thanks for your insight though, it was very constructive.