Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Idiot bicyclists (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=42554)

hooskins 06-06-2011 11:48 PM

Re: Idiot bicyclists

[quote=SmootSmack;805988]I don't know what the rules are in Virginia, but here in New York there are times when I'm biking on the sidewalk and then there's a sign that says no cycling so I have no choice but to detour to the side of the road for a bit before heading back to the sidewalk. It's that way in parts of DC as well[/quote]

Not too much of that in the great land of No. Virginia. Perhaps in some of the cities like Alexandria and Arlington but haven't seen signs like that anywhere really.

As mentioned, there are a bunch of bike trails in the area.

NC_Skins 06-07-2011 12:00 AM

I'm going to comment on this ignorance tomorrow. Right now I'm too tired.

SmootSmack 06-07-2011 12:02 AM

[quote=hooskins;805991]Not too much of that in the great land of No. Virginia. Perhaps in some of the cities like Alexandria and Arlington but haven't seen signs like that anywhere really.

As mentioned, there are a bunch of bike trails in the area.[/quote]

I see...well I still don't see how biking on the shoulder is a problem if they're not even in the way. Maybe a better initial picture would have been more compelling.

hooskins 06-07-2011 12:10 AM

[QUOTE=jamf;805971]

Why do people feel entitled to plow through people simply because they can?

[/QUOTE]

Because its Amuurica.

MTK 06-07-2011 08:23 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;805988]I don't know what the rules are in Virginia, but here in New York there are times when I'm biking on the sidewalk and then there's a sign that says no cycling so I have no choice but to detour to the side of the road for a bit before heading back to the sidewalk. It's that way in parts of DC as well[/quote]

I've had cops tell me to get off the sidewalk before, so yeah, bikes belong in the road in some states depending on the law.

dmek25 06-07-2011 08:33 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;805995]I see...well I still don't see how biking on the shoulder is a problem if they're not even in the way. Maybe a better initial picture would have been more compelling.[/quote]
im with you. if they are in the shoulder, then why the fuss?

MTK 06-07-2011 08:34 AM

I agree nothing wrong with the pic in the original post here, well except for the dorky outfits. Big fail for that alone.

And I will add as frustrating as bikes on the road can be, I always move over and give them room. No need to make a bad situation even worse by hurting someone.

mlmdub130 06-07-2011 08:40 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;805995]I see...well I still don't see how biking on the shoulder is a problem if they're not even in the way. Maybe a better initial picture would have been more compelling.[/quote]

now you are gonna knock my photo skills? i guess it's hard to picture the line of 20 or so cars behind me braking to slow down and causing others to swerve out of the way.

i get in the city you ride on the street, they even have lanes for bikes in a lot of places in dc now, but this ain't dc, and this isn't alexandria or arlington either. this is way outside the city on a highway, with a path right next to them, to me the intelegent choice would be the path.

SmootSmack 06-07-2011 09:13 AM

[quote=mlmdub130;806026]now you are gonna knock my photo skills? [B]i guess it's hard to picture the line of 20 or so cars behind me braking to slow down and causing others to swerve out of the way.[/B]

i get in the city you ride on the street, they even have lanes for bikes in a lot of places in dc now, but this ain't dc, and this isn't alexandria or arlington either. this is way outside the city on a highway, with a path right next to them, to me the intelegent choice would be the path.[/quote]

Probably because you're slowing down to take pictures of cyclists who aren't in your way

MTK 06-07-2011 10:10 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;806034]Probably because you're slowing down to take pictures of cyclists who aren't in your way[/quote]

:laughing2

NC_Skins 06-07-2011 10:15 AM

Allow me to bring my inner asshole out. *doing zen mind altering technique*

1) Those riders are supposed to be on the shoulder so they are correct.

2) Bike paths are for casual riders, not the ones shown in your picture.

3) Spandex is worn to prevent chaffing and keep them dry. Has nothing to do with "Lance Armstrong" wannabes.
[url=http://yesididjustsaythat.blogspot.com/2009/02/why-bicyclists-wear-spandex.html]Yes, I DID just say that.: Why Bicyclists wear spandex[/url]

4) Bicycles aren't generally allowed on sidewalks, that's where pedestrians walk.

5) There are different types of bike riders: cruisers/casual cyclist, mountain cyclists, road cyclists, and . I fall in the first category.

Really, stop being a douche bag over cyclists. Road cyclists normally travel very long distances which cannot be done on a bike path, and they normally travel at a faster rate than you can go on a bike path due to other riders. If you got off your lazy ass and rode one, you'd understand where we are coming from. Oh, and you yelling out of your window like a retarded inbred. Guess what? THEY CANT HEAR YOU!!

[url=http://www.fatcyclist.com/2008/01/23/ask-a-cyclist/]Fat Cyclist » Blog Archive » Ask a Cyclist[/url]
[quote][B]Sometimes when I’m in my car and pass a cyclist, I get an urge to either shout at the cyclist, honk, or throw a beer bottle. Is that OK?[/B]

You bet it is. All we ask is that when you yell at us, you shout slowly and clearly. Even as often as it happens, I have not yet once understood the actual words automotive passengers yell at me as they go by.

I must confess: I feel I am a poorer man for missing these messages.[/quote]

Road cyclists need to be on the open highway to avoid the stop/starting routine like riding around the block or being on a bike path with other bike riders. They need to open space because they generally are moving between 15-25mph. They ride in groups for slip streaming and will alternate leading the pack.

What riders fear most are asshats that like to play with their phones while driving. Much like the guy below. It's one of the main reasons I will never ever be a road cyclist. How many deaths have come about a bad cyclist? Probably none except their own. How many deaths have come from bad drivers that don't concentrate while driving? Probably more than DUIs.

[quote=mlmdub130;805940][IMG]http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab307/mlmdub130/jackasses.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

Show some common courtesy for riders. Most of them know what they are doing and are abiding by laws. If you see some not following road protocol or ignoring stop signs/cross walks/stop lights, then chances are they are new and have no idea what they are doing. It's scary enough being out there on the road with so many idiots, so don't make things worse on them.

So continue being defiant and not moving your truck because you are annoyed with a sport you have no clue on, but if you ever hit one, I would suggest hiring a very good lawyer because your ass is about to be sued big time.

I apologize for the above assholish (I like this word) behavior, but sometimes is must be done. :)

Sincerely,

The cycling community

NC_Skins 06-07-2011 10:17 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;806034]Probably because you're slowing down to take pictures of cyclists who aren't in your way[/quote]

/thread

GMScud 06-07-2011 10:32 AM

[quote=NC_Skins;806042]Allow me to bring my inner asshole out. *doing zen mind altering technique*

1) Those riders are supposed to be on the shoulder so they are correct.

2) Bike paths are for casual riders, not the ones shown in your picture.

3) Spandex is worn to prevent chaffing and keep them dry. Has nothing to do with "Lance Armstrong" wannabes.
[URL="http://yesididjustsaythat.blogspot.com/2009/02/why-bicyclists-wear-spandex.html"]Yes, I DID just say that.: Why Bicyclists wear spandex[/URL]

4) Bicycles aren't generally allowed on sidewalks, that's where pedestrians walk.

5) There are different types of bike riders: cruisers/casual cyclist, mountain cyclists, road cyclists, and . I fall in the first category.

Really, stop being a douche bag over cyclists. Road cyclists normally travel very long distances which cannot be done on a bike path, and they normally travel at a faster rate than you can go on a bike path due to other riders. If you got off your lazy ass and rode one, you'd understand where we are coming from. Oh, and you yelling out of your window like a retarded inbred. Guess what? THEY CANT HEAR YOU!!

[URL="http://www.fatcyclist.com/2008/01/23/ask-a-cyclist/"]Fat Cyclist » Blog Archive » Ask a Cyclist[/URL]

Road cyclists need to be on the open highway to avoid the stop/starting routine like riding around the block or being on a bike path with other bike riders. They need to open space because they generally are moving between 15-25mph. They ride in groups for slip streaming and will alternate leading the pack.

What riders fear most are asshats that like to play with their phones while driving. Much like the guy below. It's one of the main reasons I will never ever be a road cyclist. How many deaths have come about a bad cyclist? Probably none except their own. How many deaths have come from bad drivers that don't concentrate while driving? Probably more than DUIs.

Show some common courtesy for riders. Most of them know what they are doing and are abiding by laws. If you see some not following road protocol or ignoring stop signs/cross walks/stop lights, then chances are they are new and have no idea what they are doing. It's scary enough being out there on the road with so many idiots, so don't make things worse on them.

So continue being defiant and not moving your truck because you are annoyed with a sport you have no clue on, but if you ever hit one, I would suggest hiring a very good lawyer because your ass is about to be sued big time.

I apologize for the above assholish (I like this word) behavior, but sometimes is must be done. :)

Sincerely,

The cycling community[/quote]

Well someone is on their high horse (or bike in this case).

For me, cyclists suck because the vast majority (at least here in the DC area) have ZERO desire to follow the rules of the road like cars have do, yet they want all the respect on the road that cars get. No sir.

Also, if cyclists are riding in a group single-file on the right side of the right lane, cool. Fine with me. I'll just slide by. It's when a troop of these goofballs in their spandex are spread out 4 wide in a lane of traffic and no one can pass. Guess what? I'll be laying on the horn until you move. I've done it before, I'll do it again. They always end up getting out of the way.

Don't get me wrong, I don't go out looking for trouble with cyclists. Just the contrary. I'm into fitness and I respect the exercise and hard work they are putting in. But if you want to share the road, then do it respectfully. Stop at stop signs and red lights. Be mindful of cars needing to pass because you're moving so much slower. Use mirrors and hand signals. This doesn't happen at all around here. Take one ride down Beach Drive in MoCo on a sunny day and you'll immediately see exactly what I mean.

So yeah, until that changes, eff cyclists (most of 'em anyway- SS gets a pass because, well, he's SS).

over the mountain 06-07-2011 10:34 AM

In Md if there is a bike path, bicyclists by law are supposed to use it, if there is no bike path they are supposed to move as far over to the shoulder as possible.

I also get annoyed with cyclists who want to be treated like another vehicle on the road taking up a lane only to have them blow through a stop light or make a left on red.

Ive just grown to accept it as much as I can. Its alot like motorcycle safety awareness week. Your saying car drivers have to be more aware of the pack of aholes on rice cookers weaving in and out of rush hour traffic at 90 mph?

over the mountain 06-07-2011 10:37 AM

[QUOTE=NC_Skins;806042]

Show some common courtesy for riders. Most of them know what they are doing and are abiding by laws.

---------------------------------
This I have to disagree with. Most dont follow the laws. Ive read bicyclist blogs, researched the laws a year ago . . your community (atleast the blogs I read) recognize that they as a whole have a problem with not following the laws of the road and they contribute to the hate relationship with motor vehicles and bicyclists sharing the pavement.