Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=42717)

NC_Skins 06-27-2011 09:16 AM

ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=6699864]NFL: Teams most hurt, helped by salary-cap proposal - ESPN[/url]

Positive news indeed this potential off-season. Danny boy gets to blow some cash!!

[QUOTE]Teams affected positively:

1. Washington Redskins: Owner Dan Snyder gave defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth and cornerback DeAngelo Hall around $36 million in bonus money in 2010 to free up room to be a big spender in free agency in 2011. Snyder and Mike Shanahan will have to be creative in how they structure contracts, because the $120 million cap would give them only around $10 million of cap room. On the positive side, the Redskins' current payroll is $75.7 million, meaning Snyder would have to spend close to $45 million in cash to meet the potential minimum floor requirements. Imagine a system that forces Snyder to spend.[/QUOTE]

Can't wait till the new CBA is finished so we can get to filling in some of our holes currently.

As a bonus, Dallas is getting screwed.

[QUOTE]Teams affected negatively:

4. Dallas Cowboys: Owner Jerry Jones made sure his team wouldn't be ripped apart during tough labor times. He's always aggressive in re-signing his top players. But the Cowboys are currently a minimum of $18.9 million over the salary cap, which could spell doom for right tackle Marc Colombo, wide receiver Roy Williams and others. Jones also has to come up with some room to re-sign left tackle Doug Free and others.[/QUOTE]

MTK 06-27-2011 09:28 AM

Re: ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

[QUOTE]meaning Snyder would have to spend close to $45 million in cash to meet the potential minimum floor requirements. Imagine a system that forces Snyder to spend. [/QUOTE]

I bet Allen/Shanahan are just chomping at the bit to get free agency started.

FRPLG 06-27-2011 09:39 AM

[QUOTE]Imagine a system that forces Snyder to spend. [/QUOTE]

This is actually terrifying to me.

NC_Skins 06-27-2011 09:51 AM

[quote=FRPLG;808491]This is actually terrifying to me.[/quote]

It would be a problem if that idiot Vinny were still here. Good thing we have a good GM/Coach combo working in the front office now. They've been on point with contracts so far, and their moves (minus the McNabb deal) so far. I feel confident we'll be back to winning divisions within the next 5 years.

Ruhskins 06-27-2011 10:53 AM

I would like to see this team do a better job scouting free agents and finding players that fit the coaching scheme. I honestly feel that this has been an issue over the past years.

Monkeydad 06-27-2011 10:55 AM

[quote=NC_Skins;808486][URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=6699864"]NFL: Teams most hurt, helped by salary-cap proposal - ESPN[/URL]

Positive news indeed this potential off-season. Danny boy gets to blow some cash!!

Can't wait till the new CBA is finished so we can get to filling in some of our holes currently.

As a bonus, Dallas is getting screwed.[/quote]

If this is accurate...hip hip hooray.

[IMG]http://misterirrelevant.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/George-Allen-Locker-Room.jpg[/IMG]

skinsfan69 06-27-2011 11:03 AM

[quote=Mattyk;808489]I bet Allen/Shanahan are just chomping at the bit to get free agency started.[/quote]

I really hope the front office doesn't go back to the old ways of gasing up Redskin One. Actually I hope they don't really sign anyone except some undrafted free agents.

skinsfan69 06-27-2011 11:10 AM

[quote=NC_Skins;808493]It would be a problem if that idiot Vinny were still here. Good thing we have a good GM/Coach combo working in the front office now. They've been on point with contracts so far, and their moves (minus the McNabb deal) so far. I feel confident we'll be back to winning divisions within the next 5 years.[/quote]

They've been on point with how they do the contacts. But they've had some horrible misses on who they've picked...McNabb, Brown, Lichtenstiger, (sp) and the nose tackle Maake K. But they've also had some keepers. The jury is still out and that's why I'd like them to get some more good young players to build around and then go out and get free agents.

MTK 06-27-2011 11:13 AM

I'm not concerned about Allen/Shanahan going buck wild ala Vinny. Allen is too smart of a front office guy to overpay and make absurd deals. That said we do have a lot of holes to fill, and in a potentially deep FA class the time to spend some $$ is now.

NC_Skins 06-27-2011 11:15 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;808510]They've been on point with how they do the contacts. But they've had some horrible misses on who they've picked...McNabb, Brown, Lichtenstiger, (sp) and the nose tackle Maake K. But they've also had some keepers. The jury is still out and that's why I'd like them to get some more good young players to build around and then go out and get free agents.[/quote]

To be fair, they were limited with their moves due to free agents being restricted in the uncapped year. They went after the Broncos T Harris but couldn't get it done. Brown was a consolation prize and did a lot better than Heyer has ever done(i still don't think Brown was ever completely healthy).

TheMalcolmConnection 06-27-2011 11:15 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;808510]They've been on point with how they do the contacts. But they've had some horrible misses on who they've picked...McNabb, Brown, Lichtenstiger, (sp) and the nose tackle Maake K. But they've also had some keepers. The jury is still out and that's why I'd like them to get some more good young players to build around and then go out and get free agents.[/quote]

A lot of people are considering Brown a bust, but he really came on at the end of the season and unless we find someone we think can be a legit starting RT, I really want to see him coming back.

Monkeydad 06-27-2011 11:20 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;808507]I really hope the front office doesn't go back to the old ways of gasing up Redskin One. Actually I hope they don't really sign anyone except some undrafted free agents.[/quote]
Yeah, that will solve our issues. :doh:

We need a starting CB, some offensive linemen, a NT, maybe some more LB depth, and you want to sign UDFAs to fill all of these key needs?

Trying to get Andrew Luck?

I have full confidence in Allen and Shanahan, ESPECIALLY Allen.

The Vinny and Danny Show has been taken off the air. Don't worry so much.

musicmaster45 06-27-2011 11:21 AM

I see us using the money to try and get Johnathon Joesph and Aubroyo Franklin and Ryan Harris.

SmootSmack 06-27-2011 11:21 AM

I wouldn't call Lichtensteiger a bust. He's only 26 years old, played pretty solidly toward the end of the year and has taken a leadership role with the OL during this off-season.

MTK 06-27-2011 11:21 AM

Brown is still an incomplete for me. He improved down the stretch as he got healthier. We knew going in that he wasn't going to be 100%.

Lichtensteiger a miss? I thought he was ok and it's not like he was a big name pickup or signed a bad deal.

musicmaster45 06-27-2011 11:22 AM

Also there deals will make sense do you guys remember Atogwe's deal seemed like a fair amount but not overpaying for a good free safety

SirClintonPortis 06-27-2011 11:43 AM

It's not about how much you can acquire. It's the returns your assets give you.

skinster 06-27-2011 12:09 PM

I'm looking at our cap. First of all I know nothing will be done about it now because of the lack of CBA, but I would love more accurate numbers as soon as possible. Some players that have been released are still on the cap.

Taking out Haynesworth, McNabb, Portis, Carter, Moss, and Dockery from the cap sheet on the warpath, there are only 26 players signed under contract for the 2011 season (38 including our 12 draft picks). It will be very interesting to me to see how we will fill the roster. Who we resign, let walk, release, trade, sign in free agency. I predict this to be the most radical change of a redskins roster that I have seen. And if that is not true, at the very least it will be the most interesting offseason activity (if we just resign a bunch of our old guys, don't let the expected movers leave, etc...) I've ever seen. I assume alot of other teams are in the same position we are with the lack of free agency last year and the change of cba this year. This is going to be exciting the moment the cba is finished.

Longtimefan 06-27-2011 12:19 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;808519]I wouldn't call Lichtensteiger a bust. He's only 26 years old, played pretty solidly toward the end of the year and has taken a leadership role with the OL during this off-season.[/quote]

Lichtensteiger has been a good addition. Played in all sixteen games for the Broncos in 2008 and started fourteen of sixteen games here last year. Valuable experience that should help him going into his third year in the system.

NLC1054 06-27-2011 12:26 PM

I don't think we're going to go after anyone with a big name and instead go after the more affordable "secondary market" guys. If we do spend big bucks, it's going to be on 1.) a nose tackle and 2.) an offensive linemen, possibly a center or guard and a right tackle if we can't convince JB to come back. JB or Ryan Harris would both be good.

We're going to spend money, but I don't think we're going to put all our chips in on one player.

Lotus 06-27-2011 12:30 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;808501][B]I would like to see this team do a better job scouting free agents and finding players that fit the coaching scheme.[/B] I honestly feel that this has been an issue over the past years.[/quote]

That is an on-target comment.

This should be a buyer's market for free agents. So, as long as we go about it intelligently (see good scouting), we could really improve our team without blowing wads of cash.

Monkeydad 06-27-2011 12:33 PM

[quote=Longtimefan;808533]Lichtensteiger has been a good addition. Played in all sixteen games for the Broncos in 2008 and started fourteen of sixteen games here last year. Valuable experience that should help him going into his third year in the system.[/quote]

Absolutely. He'll also be an upgrade over Rabach at Center.

skinsfan69 06-27-2011 12:56 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;808517]Yeah, that will solve our issues. :doh:

We need a starting CB, some offensive linemen, a NT, maybe some more LB depth, and you want to sign UDFAs to fill all of these key needs?

Trying to get Andrew Luck?

I have full confidence in Allen and Shanahan, ESPECIALLY Allen.

The Vinny and Danny Show has been taken off the air. Don't worry so much.[/quote]

This team isn't going ANYWHERE next year. Our QB's are REX GROSSMAN AND JOHN BECK w/ rumors of VINCE YOUNG coming in to compete. EEEEWWWW!!!!!!

I want every guy that's in year 1, 2 and 3 to play and play as much as possibe. Let's see if this rookie NT from WV can play. Let's see if Barnes can play CB and start or be a 3rd corner. What about Capers and Cook? We know Rocky can't play inside in a 3-4 so get Riley in there. Kerrigan should walk in and start day one cause Alexander can't rush the passer. Hankerson starts day one. You get my point? Right now this team doesn't need any 29 or 30 year old free agents. It needs to get younger and let some of these guys learn and grow together.

skinsfan69 06-27-2011 01:00 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;808515]A lot of people are considering Brown a bust, but he really came on at the end of the season and unless we find someone we think can be a legit starting RT, I really want to see him coming back.[/quote]

Not a good trade cause he played LT in NO and they're asking him to play RT here and he's 30 and came of an injury. How many years does he have left? Should've kept the draft picks.

NLC1054 06-27-2011 01:23 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;808542]This team isn't going ANYWHERE next year. Our QB's are REX GROSSMAN AND JOHN BECK w/ rumors of VINCE YOUNG coming in to compete. EEEEWWWW!!!!!!

I want every guy that's in year 1, 2 and 3 to play and play as much as possibe. Let's see if this rookie NT from WV can play. Let's see if Barnes can play CB and start or be a 3rd corner. What about Capers and Cook? We know Rocky can't play inside in a 3-4 so get Riley in there. Kerrigan should walk in and start day one cause Alexander can't rush the passer. Hankerson starts day one. You get my point? Right now this team doesn't need any 29 or 30 year old free agents. It needs to get younger and let some of these guys learn and grow together.[/quote]

Just because circumstances aren't ideal NOW doesn't mean you don't try to get better. I think that's a huge disconnect. People thinking "getting younger" means "we're going to suck so we might as well put the young guys in if we're going to suck".

If the free agency rules end up being that it's 4-years accrued towards free agency, then you're going to see a lot of 24, 25 or 26 year old guys hit the market place. Still young guys, arguably guys who are going to be hitting their prime. And since there will be a lot of depth at a lot of positions of need, you don't have to spend boatloads of money going after just a few guys.

And you know, I'm kind of tired of hearing the "who cares, we're going to suck because we're going have Rex Grossman or John Beck at quarterback!". Rex made it to a friggin' Super Bowl. (Yeah, I know, defense, run game, Rex never had to throw the ball or something).

Instead of sitting around kvetching saying "woe is the Redskins, why should they even try, they have no quarterback", how about putting some talent around the guys and seeing how they play? Why is the preference that we should just suck it up and play all the rookies and it'll probably suck but at least the young guys get to play.

That's not the way you build a football team. The goal is always going to be to get better, and that includes spending money in free agency. I don't care if Pat friggin' White is our quarterback, I damn sure want the Redskins to improve in every way they can.

NC_Skins 06-27-2011 01:26 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;808542]This team isn't going ANYWHERE next year. Our QB's are REX GROSSMAN AND JOHN BECK w/ rumors of VINCE YOUNG coming in to compete. EEEEWWWW!!!!!! [/quote]

You all have the nerve to talk about me?..lol

Hell, even last year I predicted the team to go 9-7 or 7-9 based off one or two games. I'm more optimistic than you give me credit for.

SmootSmack 06-27-2011 01:32 PM

He actually started off as a RT in New Orleans, also we got Brown and a pick for one of our picks. People seem to forget that we got a pick from the Saints in the deal.

That pick ended up being Niles Paul

Monkeydad 06-27-2011 02:04 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;808542]This team isn't going ANYWHERE next year. Our QB's are REX GROSSMAN AND JOHN BECK w/ rumors of VINCE YOUNG coming in to compete. EEEEWWWW!!!!!! [/quote]

Actually Rex is not signed...and McNabb is still a Redskin.
:D

skinsfan69 06-27-2011 02:27 PM

[quote=NLC1054;808552]Just because circumstances aren't ideal NOW doesn't mean you don't try to get better. I think that's a huge disconnect. People thinking "getting younger" means "we're going to suck so we might as well put the young guys in if we're going to suck".

If the free agency rules end up being that it's 4-years accrued towards free agency, then you're going to see a lot of 24, 25 or 26 year old guys hit the market place. Still young guys, arguably guys who are going to be hitting their prime. And since there will be a lot of depth at a lot of positions of need, you don't have to spend boatloads of money going after just a few guys.

And you know, I'm kind of tired of hearing the "who cares, we're going to suck because we're going have Rex Grossman or John Beck at quarterback!". [B]Rex made it to a friggin' Super Bowl. (Yeah, I know, defense, run game, Rex never had to throw the ball or something).[/B]

Instead of sitting around kvetching saying "woe is the Redskins, why should they even try, they have no quarterback", how about putting some talent around the guys and seeing how they play? Why is the preference that we should just suck it up and play all the rookies and it'll probably suck but at least the young guys get to play.

That's not the way you build a football team. The goal is always going to be to get better, and that includes spending money in free agency. I don't care if Pat friggin' White is our quarterback, I damn sure want the Redskins to improve in every way they can.[/quote]

:rofl: W/out question the worst Qb to ever start a SB. They made it in spite of him.

MTK 06-27-2011 02:28 PM

I'd take Rex over Dilfer. There's probably been a few others worse than Rex to make a SB.

Regardless of how or why, he started for a SB team. Not a ton of guys can say that.

skinsfan69 06-27-2011 02:30 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;808564]Actually Rex is not signed...and McNabb is still a Redskin.
:D[/quote]

I don't mind them re signing him and cutting McNabb but 2012 needs to be the year where we draft a Qb for the future. I think the FO thinks the same way, they think the 12 class is much stronger than 11 and I agree. Sorry but I want Andrew Luck in the worst way.

GMScud 06-27-2011 02:48 PM

[quote=Mattyk;808572]I'd take Rex over Dilfer. There's probably been a few others worse than Rex to make a SB.

Regardless of how or why, he started for a SB team. Not a ton of guys can say that.[/quote]

Yeah Dilfer only started a total of 8 games for the Ravens the year they won the Super Bowl (2000). [URL="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DilfTr00.htm"]He threw 12 TDs, 11 INTs, 1500 yards, and a whopping 76.6 QB rating.[/URL] Paltry would be an overstatement.
[URL="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrosRe00.htm"]
Grossman's 2006 season he started every game and threw 23 TDs. His rating was great (73.9),[/URL] but I don't think he was the worst QB to start a Super Bowl. Hell, was Doug Williams any better? I mean he played a phenomenal Super Bowl game for sure, but overall was he any better of a player than Rex Grossman?

[url=http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillDo01.htm]Doug Williams NFL & AFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com[/url]

NLC1054 06-27-2011 02:49 PM

It's going to take going 1-15 or 2-14 to get Andrew Luck. With our schedule we should still be able to fart out 5-6 wins, no matter who the quarterback is.

So if you're hoping we suck hard enough to get Andrew Luck, you're probably going to end up disappointed. Especially because love it or hate it, they'll be looking to upgrade the team considerably through free agency.

Monkeydad 06-27-2011 03:09 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;808573]I don't mind them re signing him and cutting McNabb but 2012 needs to be the year where we draft a Qb for the future. I think the FO thinks the same way, they think the 12 class is much stronger than 11 and I agree. Sorry but I want Andrew Luck in the worst way.[/quote]

I'd rather win.

Ruhskins 06-27-2011 03:12 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;808582]I'd rather win.[/quote]

Ditto.

MTK 06-27-2011 03:28 PM

[quote=GMScud;808574]Yeah Dilfer only started a total of 8 games for the Ravens the year they won the Super Bowl (2000). [URL="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DilfTr00.htm"]He threw 12 TDs, 11 INTs, 1500 yards, and a whopping 76.6 QB rating.[/URL] Paltry would be an overstatement.
[URL="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrosRe00.htm"]
Grossman's 2006 season he started every game and threw 23 TDs. His rating was great (73.9),[/URL] but I don't think he was the worst QB to start a Super Bowl. Hell, was Doug Williams any better? I mean he played a phenomenal Super Bowl game for sure, but overall was he any better of a player than Rex Grossman?

[URL="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillDo01.htm"]Doug Williams NFL & AFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com[/URL][/quote]

DW didn't have pretty stats but I definitely would take him over Rex.

DW was very clutch and didn't give games away with INTs.

freddyg12 06-27-2011 03:38 PM

Yes, DW over Rex any day. But back on topic; with this much cap space & flexibility will the team give in some on deals w/Rogers & Moss and pay them more? From what we've seen of Allen thus far, he's made value a big issue in contracts, so I would say no.

MTK 06-27-2011 03:41 PM

Yeah I don't see Allen paying more than he feels someone is worth. If there's one thing he excels at it's keeping deals reasonable.

SmootSmack 06-27-2011 03:41 PM

[quote=freddyg12;808594]Yes, DW over Rex any day. But back on topic; with this much cap space & flexibility will the team give in some on deals w/Rogers & Moss and pay them more? From what we've seen of Allen thus far, he's made value a big issue in contracts, so I would say no.[/quote]

I don't think Rogers stays but Moss does. Brown is 50/50 probably. Buchanon likely stays with Rogers gone. But the guy I really don't know about is Rocky Mac. He might actually stay.

As I heard it this weekend FA Target #1 is Aubrayo Franklin. So that should be interesting

NLC1054 06-27-2011 03:47 PM

I don't think Buchanon stays. I think they like Barnes enough that they at least think that he can play nickel. They'll add another corner like a Jonathan Joseph or Ike Taylor; maybe not someone who is shutdown, but someone with a better track record. How many teams has Buchanon been on now?