Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Twitter burns as Owners ratify (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=42917)

mlmdub130 07-21-2011 08:13 PM

Re: Twitter burns as Owners ratify

[quote=SmootSmack;811904]I'll wait until the players ratify to celebrate

De Smith thinks this is a fair deal, not sure the players are totally convinced. Not yet, at least[/quote]

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/21/email-to-nflpa-reps-questions-nfl-procedure-to-end-lockout/]Email to NFLPA* reps is a bucket of cold water | ProFootballTalk[/url]

Longtimefan 07-21-2011 08:14 PM

Strained at the moment....a little more work to be done.

Lotus 07-21-2011 08:18 PM

More details on the agreement here:
[url=http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20110721_details_of_new_nfl_collective_bargaining_agreement]Details of new NFL collective bargaining agreement - NFL - Yahoo! Sports[/url]

Good thing that Al Davis put his foot down and abstained. That'll show 'em. :)

sportscurmudgeon 07-21-2011 08:26 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;811904]I'll wait until the players ratify to celebrate

De Smith thinks this is a fair deal, not sure the players are totally convinced. Not yet, at least[/quote]

This is EXACTLY what I am hearing. Smith is now the driving force for a settlement/ratification because there are at least two factions of players who are not yet on board.

Cue Yogi Berra:
[INDENT][B]It ain't over 'til it's over.[/B][/INDENT]

Dirtbag59 07-21-2011 08:41 PM

[quote=SkinzWin;811902]Owners voted 31-0 in favor of the new CBA with the Oakland Raiders abstaining.[/quote]

[IMG]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlSVBZd6a_Z3Q4-8QsNzGFywUhmLJq8SE3fNGh_F-qoVj6pd8j[/IMG]

[quote=sportscurmudgeon;811921]This is EXACTLY what I am hearing. Smith is now the driving force for a settlement/ratification because there are at least two factions of players who are not yet on board.
[/quote]

In this case does a faction equal 1 player because the only two names I've heard opposed are VJax and Mankins.

FRPLG 07-21-2011 08:47 PM

Anyone else still on the players' side? I have waffled a bit back and forth but I think these recent shenanigans prove the players are the worse of the two evils in this situation. That's hard to do when your opponent is a bunch of rich entitled multi-millionaires. Good job De Smith...not only did eff this up in the beginning now can't even bring it home. What a useless pile you have proven to be.

MTK 07-21-2011 08:52 PM

[QUOTE=FRPLG;811924]Anyone else still on the players' side? I have waffled a bit back and forth but I think these recent shenanigans prove the players are the worse of the two evils in this situation. That's hard to do when your opponent is a bunch of rich entitled multi-millionaires. Good job De Smith...not only did eff this up in the beginning now can't even bring it home. What a useless pile you have proven to be.[/QUOTE]

The players deserve the chance to review what's on the table. And Smith now has to sell them on it. Did you expect an instant resolution?

SmootSmack 07-21-2011 08:56 PM

I'm absolutely on the players's side. The owners ratified their own deal, including in it some terms the players had said they would not agree to. Maybe the players will agree to them, but they certainly won't (and shouldn't) approve anything they haven't seen.

Players have been getting information piecemeal, some like what they heard others didn't. Now the players reps are looking over the proposal, and likely won't vote on it tonight. But, as much as all of us wish they would agree to the deal and get on with it, that's not a fair or realistic expectation. They've been locked out for over four months. They have every right not to be pressured into anything.

Lotus 07-21-2011 08:56 PM

There are 32 owners, 1700 players. It makes sense that player ratification may take longer.

FRPLG 07-21-2011 09:09 PM

[quote=Mattyk;811927]The players deserve the chance to review what's on the table. And Smith now has to sell them on it. Did you expect an instant resolution?[/quote]

Yes. They hired someone to negotiate a CBA for them. They should rubber stamp it plain and simple or fire Smith. Either they trust him or not. They certainly don't need to come in at the last minute and derail the whole thing. Their asses needed to be involved to be able to say anything in my opinion.

MTK 07-21-2011 09:15 PM

They hired someone to negotiate a deal... not to negotiate it and then approve it for them in blind faith.

It's not about trust, it's about knowing and understanding what they are signing off on for the next decade.

Rubber stamp a deal of this magnitude?? Wow.

SmootSmack 07-21-2011 09:18 PM

I probably shouldn't have said Smith thinks it's a fair deal, that's not entirely accurate. My understanding is he thinks it's a better deal than previous proposals. But still there's a ways to go.

They have, I believe, until Tuesday.

SmootSmack 07-21-2011 09:19 PM

But people seem to be confusing not accepting with rejecting. It's two very different things

CRedskinsRule 07-21-2011 09:33 PM

Sorry, but if the players are coming in at this point and crying because they don't know what is in it, that is their own fault. They should have been questioning and demanding better info throughout the process. Mankins had his rep come out and say
[QUOTE]Frank Bauer, Mankins' agent, said, "Are we disappointed there has been no communication? Hugely. He trusted the union and Kessler to fight for Logan Mankins and the other players."

Read more: [url=http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-07-21/could-players-legal-counsel-jeffrey-kessler-be-holding-up-cba-talks#ixzz1SnGL4NRb]Could players' legal counsel Jeffrey Kessler be holding up CBA talks? - NFL - Sporting News[/url]
[/QUOTE]

The players have consistently claimed they are in the dark about these negotiations, and that fault lays in their leadership.

Now, the owners have approved a solution that contains the framework that the players leadership has been negotiation day in day out, and if they can't accept it, then I don't see why the owners would ever expect that a final deal could be reached.

MTK 07-21-2011 09:34 PM

The players aren't helping themselves on Twitter right now. I think they would be wise to shut up and communicate with their reps.