Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Yet another reason why Cris Carter is a moron (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=43469)

GusFrerotte 08-15-2011 06:58 PM

Re: Yet another reason why Cris Carter is a moron

Millen was a great commentator in the booth, lousy GM/Pres for the Lions though. As for Carter, his stupidity indirectly caused my uncle getting canned from Ohio St. back in 1987.

tryfuhl 08-15-2011 11:01 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;823503]When my tell all book comes out, I'll tell you who I think are the best football minds at ESPN...the one I think is the best...will surprise you[/quote]

I just knew you were a closet Cowherd fan

tryfuhl 08-15-2011 11:06 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;823603]Jaws is entertaining because, as I've mentioned here before, he talks like that in everyday life.

Wiley and Dilfer are decent.

There are several good analysts, and some that aren't as good. In my opinion though, and I know most will not agree, the best person to talk NFL football with at ESPN is Mike Golic. Yeah, Mike Golic. No one, in my opinion, does a better job of mixing the X's and O's with his real life experience. Unfortunately, not many people get to experience that side of him. I think his current role kind of handcuffs his talents as an NFL analyst.[/quote]

Def a Golic fan, he should get more exposure

SmootSmack 08-15-2011 11:08 PM

Well as one half of Mike and Mike, he gets a lot of exposure. But as a media personality, not an NFL analyst.

SmootSmack 08-15-2011 11:09 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;823669]I just knew you were a closet Cowherd fan[/quote]

I've always said I like Cowherd. Don't often agree with him, but he's a good dude

Dirtbag59 08-15-2011 11:09 PM

[quote=GusFrerotte;823628]Millen was a great commentator in the booth, lousy GM/Pres for the Lions though. As for Carter, his stupidity indirectly caused my uncle getting canned from Ohio St. back in 1987.[/quote]

Ironically many people compare Vinny and Millen as commentators. Fact of the matter is people forget that Millen was still a pretty damn good football player which is probably the only reason I pay attention to anything he says. Vinny on the other hand I listen to just to see if he'll put his foot up his arse, but he doesn't really have much in terms of credentials other then "convincing" top recruits to attend Notre Dame when it was still a national powerhouse.

tryfuhl 08-15-2011 11:15 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;823673]Well as one half of Mike and Mike, he gets a lot of exposure. But as a media personality, not an NFL analyst.[/quote]

Just saying that I wouldn't mind seeing him on tv, other than the radio show.. which I like, greenie can be ehh sometimes but that's what dual-hosted shows thrive off of

Wouldn't mind him in the booth or on the sideline

SmootSmack 08-15-2011 11:32 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;823677]Just saying that I wouldn't mind seeing him on tv, other than the radio show.. which I like, greenie can be ehh sometimes but that's what dual-hosted shows thrive off of

Wouldn't mind him in the booth or on the sideline[/quote]

He does a lot of SC hits, sits in on the NFL Live set, and is usually part of the 2nd MNF team

warriorzpath 08-15-2011 11:41 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;823674]I've always said I like Cowherd. Don't often agree with him, but he's a good dude[/quote]

I can't agree with him at all anymore. I think he has something against D.C. He predicts that redskins will be the worst team in the NFL I don't mind criticism, but to blatantly single out one team like this is not objective. It comes off as something personal. He even had a poll on sportsnation: will the redskins be the worst team in the NFL?

And more often than not, he contradicts himself when he tries to make a point- saying one thing and then the opposite in one breath. And when he is wrong, which is alot, he tries to backtrack and to try to distract by saying he meant something else.

FRPLG 08-15-2011 11:48 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;823450]Thanks.

People forget how highly regarded Millen was just a few years ago, and that multiple networks have employed him

But yeah, let's pick a couple of people and extrapolate it across the entire company.[/quote]

I don't. I found it funny that everyone followed the weird meme that Millen was some complete and total failure. He sucked as a GM...but at one point he was the next Madden and I seem to remember he played a little ball before that.

SmootSmack 08-15-2011 11:49 PM

It's not his poll and I'm sure you wouldn't think it's personal if he had chosen another team to be the worst.

You probably forget he had very positive things to say last year about the direction he thinks Shanahan and Allen are taking the team. Just thinks it will take a little while. And he's not sold on our QB situation.

FRPLG 08-15-2011 11:54 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;823603]Jaws is entertaining because, as I've mentioned here before, he talks like that in everyday life.

Wiley and Dilfer are decent.

There are several good analysts, and some that aren't as good. In my opinion though, and I know most will not agree, the best person to talk NFL football with at ESPN is Mike Golic. Yeah, Mike Golic. No one, in my opinion, does a better job of mixing the X's and O's with his real life experience. Unfortunately, not many people get to experience that side of him. I think his current role kind of handcuffs his talents as an NFL analyst.[/quote]

I like Golic...sorta hate Greenie though. Their show is somewhat unlistenable. Short on the kind of stuff I like...long on just running big name interviews that are mostly snoozefests. But yes Golic when out of that realm in the past has been pretty good.

SmootSmack 08-16-2011 12:01 AM

Greenie is my colleague, so I'm going to keep my mouth shut...and that should tell you all you need to know

mooby 08-16-2011 12:10 AM

[quote=warriorzpath;823686]I can't agree with him at all anymore. I think he has something against D.C. He predicts that redskins will be the worst team in the NFL I don't mind criticism, but to blatantly single out one team like this is not objective. It comes off as something personal. He even had a poll on sportsnation: will the redskins be the worst team in the NFL?

And more often than not, he contradicts himself when he tries to make a point- saying one thing and then the opposite in one breath. And when he is wrong, which is alot, he tries to backtrack and to try to distract by saying he meant something else.[/quote]

He's just a shock jock, he gets his ratings off pissing fanbases like ours off. That's why I can't take him serious anymore, anytime him and the Redskins come up it's always negative, and he only does it because he knows he'll get better ratings like that.

warriorzpath 08-16-2011 12:40 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;823689]It's not his poll and I'm sure you wouldn't think it's personal if he had chosen another team to be the worst.

You probably forget he had very positive things to say last year about the direction he thinks Shanahan and Allen are taking the team. Just thinks it will take a little while. And he's not sold on our QB situation.[/quote]

Problem is- on his radio show, he began by saying that he has a very optimistic outlook this time of year (it was the week after the lockout was lifted), but saying that-- he feels like the redskins are going to be one of the worst teams in football if not the worst. It's the worst franchise in the league according to him and doesn't like the direction it's going. Its the only team he said negative things about If that's not singling out a team, I don't know what is.