Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Yet another reason why Cris Carter is a moron (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=43469)

MTK 08-15-2011 09:59 AM

Yet another reason why Cris Carter is a moron

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/12/cris-carter-calvin-johnson-is-great-in-video-games-not-in-real-football/]Cris Carter: Calvin Johnson is great in video games, not in real football | ProFootballTalk[/url]

and now this

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/15/carter-backtracks-on-his-calvin-johnson-critique/]Carter backtracks on his Calvin Johnson critique | ProFootballTalk[/url]

Chico23231 08-15-2011 10:12 AM

Re: Yet another reason why Cris Carter is a moron

Dudes gotta a long hatte list

SmootSmack 08-15-2011 10:19 AM

He's my colleague, so I'm going to keep quiet...and that should tell you how I feel

NC_Skins 08-15-2011 10:22 AM

Why does ESPN hire all the idiots? (millen, ceratto, carter, etc) Oh, ratings...I forget. Stupid people that cause controversy > intelligent people with facts to base their thoughts on.

SmootSmack 08-15-2011 10:28 AM

Thanks.

People forget how highly regarded Millen was just a few years ago, and that multiple networks have employed him

But yeah, let's pick a couple of people and extrapolate it across the entire company.

firstdown 08-15-2011 10:31 AM

Everywhere you turn there is a media outlet so people do and say things trying to stand out in the crowd. Problem is that most of the time it actually just makes them look stupid.

JoeRedskin 08-15-2011 10:39 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;823446]He's my colleague, so I'm going to keep quiet...and that should tell you how I feel[/quote]

'nuff said.

Stuck in TX 08-15-2011 11:07 AM

15 years ago did anyone ever think Deon Sanders would be a more reputable contributer in the NFL media than Chris Carter?

NC_Skins 08-15-2011 11:40 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;823450]Thanks.

People forget how highly regarded Millen was just a few years ago, and that multiple networks have employed him

But yeah, let's pick a couple of people and extrapolate it across the entire company.[/quote]

When was Millen ever highly regarded? The only time I can think of is when he was playing in the NFL. Ever since his tenure at Detroit, he's pretty much been on the wrong end of jokes. Also, I think you took that wrong (and personally) Smoot about my comment towards ESPN. My reference to them hiring "all the idiots" was to some of their commentators. (much like NFL has JLC) I realize they have a good amount of commentators that do a great job.

MTK 08-15-2011 11:46 AM

When Millen was a TV analyst prior to his time in Detroit he was considered one of the best in the biz.

Chico23231 08-15-2011 11:47 AM

Chris Carter is bad...but then there is Plaxico:

"He said, 'Mayor Bloomberg just went on TV, said you should be, you know, punished to the full extent of the law.' And you know what I said after that? I said, 'Who is Mayor Bloomberg?' ''

Read more: [url=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/15/camps/index.html#ixzz1V74DJCcD]Aaron Rodgers, Colt McCoy, Ryan Mallett among quarterbacks who impressed in NFL preseason games - Peter King - SI.com[/url]

Alvin Walton 08-15-2011 11:58 AM

Hatters gonna hat.
Carters gonna cart.

SmootSmack 08-15-2011 12:00 PM

It's easy to forget that before he presided over the worst eight-year stretch of any NFL team since the 1940s, former Lions president and CEO Matt Millen was thought of as a pretty astute football guy. As a fast-talking, no-holds-barred analyst with CBS and Fox from 1992 through 2000, the former linebacker (and the only player to win four Super Bowls with three teams) was lauded for his sense of humor, knowledge and passion for the game. Millen was equally well-versed in offensive line play and defensive coverage schemes, and seemingly so destined for stardom that some around the Fox network offices called him Baby Madden. Says NBC analyst Cris Collinsworth, who worked with Millen at Fox, "He was the second-best announcer in football in the opinion of a lot of people."

[url=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1159753/index.htm]After a disastrous stint with the Lions, Matt Millen - 09.07.09 - SI Vault[/url]

dmek25 08-15-2011 12:40 PM

Millen knows his stuff, at least as far as communicating to the fans. its almost like saying you were a great player, so you should be a great coach. doesnt always translate

sportscurmudgeon 08-15-2011 12:46 PM

[quote=NC_Skins;823448]Why does ESPN hire all the idiots? (millen, ceratto, carter, etc) Oh, ratings...I forget. Stupid people that cause controversy > intelligent people with facts to base their thoughts on.[/quote]

Just so I can calibrate who you think are "smart" anaylsts that ESPN OUGHT to hire, can you provide a few names?

And if Joe Theisman is on your list, I will exercise my option not to pay any attention to what you have to say on this matter.

SmootSmack 08-15-2011 12:57 PM

When my tell all book comes out, I'll tell you who I think are the best football minds at ESPN...the one I think is the best...will surprise you

NC_Skins 08-15-2011 01:18 PM

[quote=sportscurmudgeon;823498]And if Joe Theisman is on your list, I will exercise my option not to pay any attention to what you have to say on this matter.[/quote]

Theisman is a straight up homer. I almost hate listening to him commentate a game. Troy Aikman is a good commentator with Fox. Mike Mayock with NFL is a good commentator. Steve Young is a good one, as is Jimmy Johnson (even though he's a Redskins hatter). Jon Gruden, Chris Collinsworth, Boomer E. I guess I don't have a problem with Millen as a commentator, but its really hard to listen to his advice given what he did in Detroit. It would be like getting financial advice from the guys who crashed the housing/banking market on Wall Street. Do they know their stuff? Sure. Would you take advice from them after all that went on? Probably not. Millen knows X's and O's. No doubt about that, it's his personnel comments that I take with a grain of salt.

mooby 08-15-2011 01:30 PM

[quote=sportscurmudgeon;823498]Just so I can calibrate who you think are "smart" anaylsts that ESPN OUGHT to hire, can you provide a few names?

And if Joe Theisman is on your list, I will exercise my option not to pay any attention to what you have to say on this matter.[/quote]

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a lot of people around here who think Theismann is a good commentator.

GMScud 08-15-2011 01:53 PM

From the PFT article:

[I]I’m not going to go so far as to say that Carter is simply wrong with his assessment of who the elite receivers in the NFL are, since judging the greatness of a wide receiver is a subjective exercise — as Carter himself has found out when getting passed over for the Hall of Fame. But I will say that Carter’s analysis was weak.[/I]

LOL. That about sums it up. I love the shot at him for getting passed over for the HOF multiple times.

Lotus 08-15-2011 03:00 PM

[quote=Mattyk;823481]When Millen was a TV analyst prior to his time in Detroit he was considered one of the best in the biz.[/quote]

Yes, once upon a time he was really good on the air.

IRISHSKIN24 08-15-2011 03:01 PM

Carter's a jackass, Millen is a good commentator IMHO.....off topic/random but does Fox's Joe Buck remind anyone else of a real life Clark Kent? I always thought that just curious if i'm the only one....haha

sportscurmudgeon 08-15-2011 03:16 PM

[quote=NC_Skins;823510]Theisman is a straight up homer. I almost hate listening to him commentate a game. Troy Aikman is a good commentator with Fox. Mike Mayock with NFL is a good commentator. Steve Young is a good one, as is Jimmy Johnson (even though he's a Redskins hatter). Jon Gruden, Chris Collinsworth, Boomer E. I guess I don't have a problem with Millen as a commentator, but its really hard to listen to his advice given what he did in Detroit. It would be like getting financial advice from the guys who crashed the housing/banking market on Wall Street. Do they know their stuff? Sure. Would you take advice from them after all that went on? Probably not. Millen knows X's and O's. No doubt about that, it's his personnel comments that I take with a grain of salt.[/quote]

Good. That is a list of analysts/commentators who do a good job on the air and who seem to know their ass from the first-down marker when it comes to football.

Note that you mentioned seven gentlemen and three of them - - 42% - - are already employed by ESPN. So, I guess the folks in Bristol don't only hire stupid people to be on-air commentators.

I would add ESPN's Marcellus Wiley and Trent Dilfer to your list. Neither was a great player, but both offer insightful comments.

And what about ESPN's Ron Jaworski? His voice might be a little annoying, but the snippets of game film he shows with his analysis are usually VERY good.

Dirtbag59 08-15-2011 03:25 PM

This has to be a mistake. Cris Carter would never say anything bad about another receiver let alone the most talented up and comer in the the game. Seriously, guy is obsessed with making his old position look more important then it really is.

Put it this way. If you were from Europe and knew nothing about American Football and the first person to teach you anything was Carter you would come away thinking the game revolved around receivers.

On a side note: Carter coached Hankerson in high school.....enjoy.

NC_Skins 08-15-2011 04:07 PM

[quote=sportscurmudgeon;823556]Good. That is a list of analysts/commentators who do a good job on the air and who seem to know their ass from the first-down marker when it comes to football.

Note that you mentioned seven gentlemen and three of them - - 42% - - are already employed by ESPN. So, I guess the folks in Bristol don't only hire stupid people to be on-air commentators.

I would add ESPN's Marcellus Wiley and Trent Dilfer to your list. Neither was a great player, but both offer insightful comments.

And what about ESPN's Ron Jaworski? His voice might be a little annoying, but the snippets of game film he shows with his analysis are usually VERY good.[/quote]

My assertion was did they hire all the idiots(that happen to be in media), not did they only hire idiots. I know they have quality guys, which is why I think many of you read more into the post than what was really there.

Jaws is a homer as well even though I like his ability to break plays down. I enjoy Trent Dilfer as well.

Dirtbag59 08-15-2011 04:09 PM

[quote=NC_Skins;823582]My assertion was did they hire all the idiots, not did they only hire idiots. I know they have quality guys, which is why I think many of you read more into the post than what was really there.

[B]Jaws is a homer as well even though I like his ability to break plays down[/B]. I enjoy Trent Dilfer as well.[/quote]

Jaws does have a bit of homer in him but he still remains very objective. Easily one of the best analyst in the game today.

Chico23231 08-15-2011 04:10 PM

Best analyst on TV easily is Grudden. "That guy" brings the insight to the game.

GMScud 08-15-2011 04:27 PM

[quote=sportscurmudgeon;823556]Good. That is a list of analysts/commentators who do a good job on the air and who seem to know their ass from the first-down marker when it comes to football.

And what about ESPN's Ron Jaworski? His voice might be a little annoying, but the snippets of game film he shows with his analysis are usually VERY good.[/quote]

I agree with you. Wiley, Jaworski, and Dilfer are solid. My favorite right now is John Gruden. He's still young, really firey, smart, and he's a Super Bowl winning coach. Plus he's kind of a bad ass. Those sit down sessions he has with college QB's coming into the pro game are fantastic.

Ruhskins 08-15-2011 04:35 PM

[quote=GMScud;823591]I agree with you. Wiley, Jaworski, and Dilfer are solid. My favorite right now is John Gruden. He's still young, really firey, smart, and he's a Super Bowl winning coach. Plus he's kind of a bad ass. Those sit down sessions he has with college QB's coming into the pro game are fantastic.[/quote]

All hail Chucky!

[IMG]http://espn.go.com/i/magazine/new/gruden_7.jpg[/IMG]

SmootSmack 08-15-2011 04:58 PM

Jaws is entertaining because, as I've mentioned here before, he talks like that in everyday life.

Wiley and Dilfer are decent.

There are several good analysts, and some that aren't as good. In my opinion though, and I know most will not agree, the best person to talk NFL football with at ESPN is Mike Golic. Yeah, Mike Golic. No one, in my opinion, does a better job of mixing the X's and O's with his real life experience. Unfortunately, not many people get to experience that side of him. I think his current role kind of handcuffs his talents as an NFL analyst.

NC_Skins 08-15-2011 05:03 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;823603]Jaws is entertaining because, as I've mentioned here before, he talks like that in everyday life.

There are several good analysts, and some that aren't as good. In my opinion though, and I know most will not agree, the best person to talk NFL football with at ESPN is Mike Golic. Yeah, Mike Golic. No one, in my opinion, does a better job of mixing the X's and O's with his real life experience. Unfortunately, not many people get to experience that side of him. I think his current role kind of handcuffs his talents as an NFL analyst.[/quote]

It's funny you mention Golic because I was about to jot his name down and considered he's more of a radio talk host than a "commentator". I do enjoy listening to him though even if I don't agree with what he's saying at times. I really loved it when he did that shuttle run during that Haynesworth TC fiasco.

GusFrerotte 08-15-2011 06:58 PM

Millen was a great commentator in the booth, lousy GM/Pres for the Lions though. As for Carter, his stupidity indirectly caused my uncle getting canned from Ohio St. back in 1987.

tryfuhl 08-15-2011 11:01 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;823503]When my tell all book comes out, I'll tell you who I think are the best football minds at ESPN...the one I think is the best...will surprise you[/quote]

I just knew you were a closet Cowherd fan

tryfuhl 08-15-2011 11:06 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;823603]Jaws is entertaining because, as I've mentioned here before, he talks like that in everyday life.

There are several good analysts, and some that aren't as good. In my opinion though, and I know most will not agree, the best person to talk NFL football with at ESPN is Mike Golic. Yeah, Mike Golic. No one, in my opinion, does a better job of mixing the X's and O's with his real life experience. Unfortunately, not many people get to experience that side of him. I think his current role kind of handcuffs his talents as an NFL analyst.[/quote]

Def a Golic fan, he should get more exposure

SmootSmack 08-15-2011 11:08 PM

Well as one half of Mike and Mike, he gets a lot of exposure. But as a media personality, not an NFL analyst.

SmootSmack 08-15-2011 11:09 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;823669]I just knew you were a closet Cowherd fan[/quote]

I've always said I like Cowherd. Don't often agree with him, but he's a good dude

Dirtbag59 08-15-2011 11:09 PM

[quote=GusFrerotte;823628]Millen was a great commentator in the booth, lousy GM/Pres for the Lions though. As for Carter, his stupidity indirectly caused my uncle getting canned from Ohio St. back in 1987.[/quote]

Ironically many people compare Vinny and Millen as commentators. Fact of the matter is people forget that Millen was still a pretty damn good football player which is probably the only reason I pay attention to anything he says. Vinny on the other hand I listen to just to see if he'll put his foot up his arse, but he doesn't really have much in terms of credentials other then "convincing" top recruits to attend Notre Dame when it was still a national powerhouse.

tryfuhl 08-15-2011 11:15 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;823673]Well as one half of Mike and Mike, he gets a lot of exposure. But as a media personality, not an NFL analyst.[/quote]

Just saying that I wouldn't mind seeing him on tv, other than the radio show.. which I like, greenie can be ehh sometimes but that's what dual-hosted shows thrive off of

Wouldn't mind him in the booth or on the sideline

SmootSmack 08-15-2011 11:32 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;823677]Just saying that I wouldn't mind seeing him on tv, other than the radio show.. which I like, greenie can be ehh sometimes but that's what dual-hosted shows thrive off of

Wouldn't mind him in the booth or on the sideline[/quote]

He does a lot of SC hits, sits in on the NFL Live set, and is usually part of the 2nd MNF team

warriorzpath 08-15-2011 11:41 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;823674]I've always said I like Cowherd. Don't often agree with him, but he's a good dude[/quote]

I can't agree with him at all anymore. I think he has something against D.C. He predicts that redskins will be the worst team in the NFL I don't mind criticism, but to blatantly single out one team like this is not objective. It comes off as something personal. He even had a poll on sportsnation: will the redskins be the worst team in the NFL?

And more often than not, he contradicts himself when he tries to make a point- saying one thing and then the opposite in one breath. And when he is wrong, which is alot, he tries to backtrack and to try to distract by saying he meant something else.

FRPLG 08-15-2011 11:48 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;823450]Thanks.

But yeah, let's pick a couple of people and extrapolate it across the entire company.[/quote]

I don't. I found it funny that everyone followed the weird meme that Millen was some complete and total failure. He sucked as a GM...but at one point he was the next Madden and I seem to remember he played a little ball before that.