Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do Salary Cap Troubles Await the Redskins? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=4349)

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 12-31-2004 06:41 PM

Do Salary Cap Troubles Await the Redskins?

Last year I said Michael Boulware was going to be the best linebacker to come out of the draft. People laughed at me and said I was crazy. Well lookie here. While guys like DJ Williams, Jonathan Vilma, and Karlos Dansby have played great ball in Denver, New York, and Arizona, Boulware looks like a perennial pro-bowler.

So, I want people to commit here and now to this talk about the salary cap. I want to be the one laughing in a few years. We had more than TEN MILLION dollars in dead space this year. Does anyone, absolutely anyone have even the remotest idea of what we could have done with that ten million dollars? We could have afforded Kearse for one.

We have more than six million dollars against next years cap and are likely to have over ten million against the cap after offseason cuts are made. If we end up cutting Barrow, Morton, Brunell, and a few others (as has been suggested by many on this site), we are looking at over FIFTEEN MILLION dollars in dead cap room. [B]That's more money than it costs to keep Walt Harris, James Thrash, Clinton Portis, Jon Jansen, Shawn Springs, Sean Taylor, Cornelius Griffin, and Taylor Jacobs on the roster COMBINED.[/B]

By 2006, just nine players (Arrington, Portis, Jansen, Coles, Springs, Brunell, Thomas, Griffin, and Washington) will account for $50 million of the cap. We are projected to get an additional $4 million of cap room via the TV deal and an additional $3-4 million per year to account for other increases in revenue.

I by no means think this team will be completly dismantled by 2006, but I have the feeling that those tremors we are feeling right now (in $10 million in dead cap space) is just the tip of the iceberg. I would like people to commit to whether they think our team has or will have any cap issues. I think a lot of people dismiss the idea of the salary cap without doing any investigative work, just making a guess, assuming we'll get big breaks somehow, or are in just plain denial.

juggernaunt 12-31-2004 06:53 PM

i agree we ARE in trouble

i have stated before and i'll state it again. [B]WE must cut the fat now or pay for it later.[/B] i would rather have 15 to 18 millon in dead space next year rather than paying for it for years to come. thats why i say CUT BRUNNELL, BARROW, MORTON, AND OTHERS. This season showed that we over pay and underachieve. this must stop. might have things been differenet if marty was still here YES. YES. YES. Marty got us back to fiscal responisbiltiy. Look at San diego NOw, they will be about 25 millon under the cap this year. they have a qb and RB that will play together for years to come and they have the power to keep the CORE players. We must cut now or Pay later. your call but i'm for cutting now or we will be the [B]NEXT SAN FRANSICO 49ERS[/B]

jdlea 12-31-2004 07:02 PM

They will be cap in hell in a few years.

CRT3 12-31-2004 07:12 PM

Face the facts Dan is a expert on creating value and working the financial system. I have faith he will lead us down the correct path.

Daseal 12-31-2004 07:14 PM

[quote]
Face the facts Dan is a expert on creating value and working the financial system. I have faith he will lead us down the correct path.[/quote]

AMEN! How many years have we been in "cap trouble." Snyder will get us out!

jdlea 12-31-2004 07:18 PM

Dan Snyder is a jackass!

jdlea 12-31-2004 07:21 PM

Just one point Ramseyfan, Michael Boulware doesn't play linebacker in the NFL. Just pointing that out. I like you, but I think your gloating is a bit off base.

aehs77 12-31-2004 08:14 PM

snyder may be a jackass but he is a jackass that will work something out to keep the redskins out of salary cap hell.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 12-31-2004 11:57 PM

[QUOTE=jdlea]Just one point Ramseyfan, Michael Boulware doesn't play linebacker in the NFL. Just pointing that out. I like you, but I think your gloating is a bit off base.[/QUOTE]

I realize its gloating and deserve any critcism for it. But after being in the minority in so many recent debates (i.e. salary cap woes, need for a new wide receiver, offseason strategy, etc), I felt the need to gloat a bit. :headbange

Sorry.

hurrykaine 01-01-2005 01:34 AM

[QUOTE=Ramseyfan] We are projected to get an additional $4 million of cap room via the TV deal and an additional $3-4 million per year to account for other increases in revenue.[/QUOTE]

Disagree, Ramseyfan. The latter figure is about right, but the cap increase because of the TV deal will be atleast twice what you suggest....in the neighborhood of 8-9 million, if not more. The impact of the previous TV deal on the cap was about a $11 million increase - that's a good indicator of what'll happen in 2006.

jamf 01-01-2005 07:00 AM

salary cap hell? pfft

too many unknowns to guess if the skins will be in SCH.

If the skins were division leaders with a clinched playoff spot, we would be talking about how we could be a dynasty since our core quality players are in their mid 20's.

here are two factors to consider.

first, dannyboy knows money. the guy hides billions from the irs, he isnt going to have a probably manipulating the salary cap.

and second, the wild card...
the labor contract between the nfl and players association ends after the draft in 2008. also, under the current contract, there is no salary cap in 2007.

under the current contract,there is revenue sharing. but the highest grossing teams like the skins and cowboys make alot of money that is not shared with the other teams. the players association wants the unshared money shared and a percentage funneled down to the players salaries.
dannyboy, faceliftmonster and the other owners of profitable teams dont want to share that revenue with the owners that dont give a shit.
and
the big spending teams wouldnt mind seeing the cap go so they can revert to the old days of dominance.

so, the nfl and players association reaching a new deal with a salary cap isnt a done deal just yet.

btw, i think the salary cap is great, alleviates alot of the shit baseball and hockey going through, i hope they find a way to work it out. but if they dont, dannyboy is going to buy the baddest mother fuckers money can buy :)

please excuse my grammer, i just got home from a long and entertaining evening :)

Skins fan 44 01-01-2005 05:34 PM

Well I dont know much about the whole thing but I believe that Brunell said he may renegoiate his contract next year, so that could help. We need to get Sammuels to sign a long term contract to save us in the near future. Barrow also needs to renegoiate since he robbed us blind this year and did not play a down.

jdlea 01-02-2005 10:25 AM

If Snyder does work it out, it will just reassert my point that the Skins are the worst run franchise in football. How will he work it out? By taking away the money he gave to players. That's right. That's what restructuring is. You give a guy a contract and then you make him sign one for a lot less money so he can stay on the team.

If I were Chris Samuels I would tell this team to "Go to hell, you can cut me" Samuels will find a job. The Redskins deserve to have all this dead space. They run this thing as bad as I have ever seen anything run. Why? Not because they spend so much money, but because they don't win. Plain and simple. They spend money every year and for what? 10 wins...in 2 seasons.

MTK 01-02-2005 12:09 PM

What happened to the cap hell we were supposed to be in a few years ago after the $100M spending spree of 2000? Don't tell me Marty was 100% responsible for us avoiding it.

Snyder knows how to run a business and part of running a business is the financial end. The Redskins are valued as the #1 franchise in ALL of sports, let's give the guy a little credit he might not know football but the guy can run a business.

Everyone likes to harp on the dead cap $$ like we're the only team in the league with this problem.

Restructuring contracts happens all around the league, it's not some bad business practice that only the Redskins utilize.

jdlea 01-02-2005 12:59 PM

I'm not saying they're the only ones that do it, what I am saying is that people shouldn't be surprised that Redskins players might lack some loyalty to the franchise because the Redskins show no loyalty to them.