Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trades of the Shanahan era (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=43606)

BigHairedAristocrat 08-22-2011 07:57 PM

Trades of the Shanahan era

[url=http://www.csnwashington.com/08/22/11/Deals-are-turning-up-the-Redskins-way/mobile_landing.html?blockID=552240&feedID=272]Deals are turning up the Redskins' way[/url]

[QUOTE]NFL teams used to salivate at the prospect of making a trade with the Washington Redskins. It always seemed that the Redskins would end up getting fleeced every time they played Let’s Make a Deal with other NFL teams. The other party would get the new car and Hawaiian vacation, while there was usually a billy goat behind the door the Redskins would choose.

Since Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen have arrived at Redskins Park, however, things have started to turn around. Although they notably whiffed in trading second- and fourth-round picks for Donovan McNabb, some other deals have worked out much better. Here is a look at the impact deals that Allen and Shanahan have pulled off since arriving in 2010:

QB John Beck from Baltimore for CB Doug Dutch—This trade was executed early in training camp last year. A year later, Beck could well be the Redskins’ starting quarterback. If Beck can be a reasonably competent starting QB—and we won’t know that until midseason at the earliest—the trade of him for Dutch, who has not appeared in an NFL game, would turn out to be a genuine heist. Even if Beck can be a good backup the trade will be a huge success.

OT Jammal Brown from New Orleans for a swap of third- and fifth-round picks—The Redskins were able to get Brown, a former Pro Bowl performer, into their system and he could be primed for a stellar season with a new contract and with his injury woes behind him. The Saints took outside linebacker Martez Wilson out of Illinois with the third-round pick the Redskins gave up while Washington took Nebraska wide receiver Niles Paul with the fifth from the Saints. The trade can be fully evaluated when we see how those picks work out but right now it looks pretty good for the Redskins.

Jabar Gaffney from Denver for Jeremy Jarmon—In exchange for a lineman who could not find a fit in their 3-4 defense, the Redskins got a 30-year-old receiver who had career highs in both receptions (65) and yards (875) for the Broncos last year. Gaffney immediately moved into the starting lineup and he will contribute while some of the younger receivers on the team learn the game.

Tim Hightower from Arizona for Vonnie Holliday and an undisclosed draft pick—Holliday would have had a difficult time making the roster. Hightower has proven to be a quick study on the Washington offense and he has displayed a good knack for making the cut into the running lane. He will probably start at running back for the Redskins. Assuming that the draft pick is in the late rounds, this was an excellent deal for the Redskins.

The 16th overall pick in the 2011 draft (Ryan Kerrigan) from Jacksonville for the 10th overall pick (Blaine Gabbert)—The Redskins also received the Jaguars second-round pick, the 49th overall, in this trade. After taking Kerrigan, who is showing great promise at outside linebacker, the Redskins parlayed that second-rounder into a number of other picks. They went into the draft with eight picks, none in the third or fourth rounds and six of the picks coming in round five through seven. They ended up with 12 selections with at least one in every round. The fruits of the trade included wide receiver Leonard Hankerson and running back Roy Helu, who could be key cogs in the offense for years to come.[/QUOTE]

Other than the mcnabb debacle, shanahan and Allen have done an outstanding job. I especially like that we essentially traded the overrated gabbert for THREE players who are likely to contribute greatly to this team: Kerrigan, hankerson, and helu.

Hog1 08-22-2011 08:03 PM

Re: Trades of the Shanahan era

It's been a FUN offseason (lockout notwithstanding). The Draft and subsequent FA acquisitions have been solid if not inspired.....
Time will tell....very happy with these guys in this arena! For the first time in years are we building quality depth and starting talent as well.

Lotus 08-22-2011 08:27 PM

Tandler forgot to mention the trade for Carriker, who is turning out to be a good 3-4 DE. He cost us a 5th rounder, no? Also a good trade.

BigHairedAristocrat 08-22-2011 08:58 PM

And trading haynesworth for, well, ANYTHING.

There is no real arguing that shanahan and Allen have made far more good moves than bad.

mbedner3420 08-22-2011 09:11 PM

[quote=Lotus;825838]Tandler forgot to mention the trade for Carriker, who is turning out to be a good 3-4 DE. He cost us a 5th rounder, no? Also a good trade.[/quote]

Not even a 5th rounder. We just swapped picks if I remember correctly.

SmootSmack 08-22-2011 09:35 PM

He mentioned Carriker later in another post. Trade got us Austin too

mlmpetert 08-22-2011 09:45 PM

The next big value trade?????

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/22/trade-or-release-talk-surfaces-for-tebow/]Trade-or-release talk surfaces for Tebow | ProFootballTalk[/url]

Earlier from Redskins Insider:

"I like everything about him," Shanahan said. "If you can't root for a guy like Tebow, man, you don't like your [own] kids."

"Here's a guy to me that brings everything to the table. He'll interview with 30 people, work out for everybody [and] when you're with him, he's just an off-the-chart guy," Shanahan said. "Those guys don't come around all the time. Especially with the success that he's had."

"I just think he's something that's very special," he added.

"I think what everybody was looking at from the Senior Bowl was where he dropped the ball below his waist," Shanahan said. "I think he's doing a great job keeping the ball up high, and I think everybody saw that at his workout."

"When Phillip Rivers came out, everybody said he didn't have the perfect throwing motion, the perfect release. At least in my opinion, [Rivers'] is one of the best in the business; he's in the top three or four," he said. "Sometimes you've got to be able to play the game. You can dissect everybody's game, but the bottom line is how he plays and how he gets it done."

[url=http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/mike-shanahan/mike-shanahan-on-tim-tebow-hes.html]Redskins Insider - Mike Shanahan on Tim Tebow: 'He's something that's very special'[/url]

Im just kidding.....

tryfuhl 08-22-2011 10:04 PM

GMScud would die

skinsfaninok 08-22-2011 10:18 PM

honestly I'd take Tebow for a 4th

mooby 08-22-2011 10:25 PM

As crazy as that sounds, I'd take Tebow for a fourth too. It'd be akin to a Jason Campbell for Tim Tebow trade, and nobody would be able to convince me that JC would ever have more potential than Tebow does. Still though I think that'd be highly unlikely to happen, mainly because I doubt they'd give up Tebow for a fourth. But if Shanny liked him I could easily see us inquiring about his availability.

SmootSmack 08-22-2011 10:27 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;825869]honestly I'd take Tebow for a 4th[/quote]

What would you do with him? (I'd ask GMScud...but this is a family friendly site)

mbedner3420 08-22-2011 10:28 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;825872]What would you do with him? (I'd ask GMScud...but this is a family friendly site)[/quote]

Well, we are thin at the tight end position...

Lotus 08-22-2011 10:42 PM

[quote=mbedner3420;825850]Not even a 5th rounder. We just swapped picks if I remember correctly.[/quote]

You are correct, making that trade even sweeter.

GTripp0012 08-22-2011 10:45 PM

[quote=mooby;825871]As crazy as that sounds, I'd take Tebow for a fourth too. It'd be akin to a Jason Campbell for Tim Tebow trade, and nobody would be able to convince me that JC would ever have more potential than Tebow does. Still though I think that'd be highly unlikely to happen, mainly because I doubt they'd give up Tebow for a fourth. But if Shanny liked him I could easily see us inquiring about his availability.[/quote]I would expect Tebow to enjoy a Campbell-like career path. Their winning SEC resumes were similar, and they're both more accurate than anyone gives them credit for. But play within the pocket is...an adventure every time.

I like Tebow as a pro player. But I think all the talk about needing to make him play differently than he currently does hurts his biggest asset: his youth. He's probably the third best QB on the Broncos right now, but the difference between one and three just isn't that much. Tebow should be playing.

mooby 08-22-2011 11:11 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;825878]I would expect Tebow to enjoy a Campbell-like career path. Their winning SEC resumes were similar, and they're both more accurate than anyone gives them credit for. But play within the pocket is...an adventure every time.

I like Tebow as a pro player. But I think all the talk about needing to make him play differently than he currently does hurts his biggest asset: his youth. He's probably the third best QB on the Broncos right now, but the difference between one and three just isn't that much. Tebow should be playing.[/quote]

Passing wise I think Tebow has plenty to improve on, but you can't discount the ability to improvise and be an asset in the run game as well. Tebow is head and shoulders above JC in that department. I tend to think with the right coaching and scheme in place Tebow would have a much higher ceiling than Campbell. And Tebow does have that playmaker factor going for him.

He just has the ability to make things happen, and I don't think that's something that can be coached. Like I said with coaching Tebow could be dangerous. With Campbell, I can see him being an effective game manager in the right scheme with the right coaching, but I don't think he is a playmaker in the Tebow mold. Either way, there's a lot of intangibles that have to fall in place to make a great quarterback, so for the present we'll just have to see if things shake out in Tebow's favor for the future.