Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   News and Notes From a Ravens Fan (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=43681)

skinsguy 08-26-2011 08:33 AM

News and Notes From a Ravens Fan

On one of my other forum boards, we have a couple of Ravens fans on there. This is what was being posted last night! If this doesn't get ya fired up, nothing will!

[quote]
14-0 Skins.

I'm shaking and distraught over this. oh my God. LOL

Good thing this isn't the real O-line
[/quote]

And of course I told him that in the 3rd preseason game, the teams play their regular players at least until the midpoint of the third quarter. Here's his response:

[quote]
No they didn't. Yanda and Birk out with injuries and McKinnie hasn't dressed yet. Your team saw a makeshift OL. Sorry to burst that pre-season bubble. [IMG]http://static.yuku.com/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/roll.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://static.yuku.com/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/roll.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://static.yuku.com/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/roll.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://static.yuku.com/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/roll.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://static.yuku.com/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/roll.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://static.yuku.com/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/roll.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://static.yuku.com/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/roll.gif[/IMG]

2 starters and 1 out of position. [IMG]http://static.yuku.com/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/laugh.gif[/IMG]

Meanwhile, my team will get to the playoffs and your Snyders will be the Snyders. I truly am sorry. [IMG]http://static.yuku.com/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif[/IMG]
[/quote]

and lastly...

[quote]
And the Ravens can't decide who their starting CB's are. Most of the Skins passing was against Foxworth who may be traded or cut. He missed all of last year and is a cap issue.

So, take what you think is optimism. Come talk to me during the regular season. LMFAO

[/quote]

I freakin' hate the Steelers, but I hope the Ravens fail miserably when they go up against them this year!

NC_Skins 08-26-2011 08:39 AM

Re: News and Notes From a Ravens Fan

You won't have to hope long. I foresee a drop in Raven football this season. They really haven't done much this off-season except get worse. The good news for them, they get to play the Bengals twice.

BigHairedAristocrat 08-26-2011 08:40 AM

I don't get why those posts make u hate ravens fans enough to make this its own thread... And you do realize that their offensive line is down 3 starters right? It was a makeshift line due to injuries which explains why out defense manhandled them so much.

skinsguy 08-26-2011 09:02 AM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;827717]I don't get why those posts make u hate ravens fans enough to make this its own thread... And you do realize that their offensive line is down 3 starters right? It was a makeshift line due to injuries which explains why out defense manhandled them so much.[/quote]

Are you sure you're on the right forum board? Hhhmmm...let's see...Ravens fan talk smack about my favorite team. And I'm supposed to be like, "snizzle, snizzle, you, you're, you're ri-righhht Mr. Ravens fan. I-I-I'm embarrassed to even be a Redskins fan. I sure hope your Ravens go all the way to the Super Bowl sir!"

Screw that! There's pride in this team again and doggonit, I'm fired up and ready to see this team have a better season. Certainly I'm realistic and don't expect this team to be Super Bowl Champs this year, but I'm tired of Redskins fans making excuses for themselves and other teams. Screw that!

skinsguy 08-26-2011 09:06 AM

[quote=NC_Skins;827716]You won't have to hope long. I foresee a drop in Raven football this season. They really haven't done much this off-season except get worse. The good news for them, they get to play the Bengals twice.[/quote]

Ravens have added some speed, but they had a lot of lucky breaks last night, and I'm still not certain Flacco is good enough to get them past the Steelers. And for our "lowly" Redskins to carve up their great defense on the ground and in the air last night says a lot I think.

Hog1 08-26-2011 09:09 AM

Don;t worry.....BE Happy.
YOU have reasons to be happy, they don't. They should be in Aw Shit mode.
HTTR!

Alvin Walton 08-26-2011 09:14 AM

eff Roberta Flacko fans.

MTK 08-26-2011 09:32 AM

Ravens fans can spin things any way they want, fact is deep down they have some cause for concern. Every team has to deal with injuries, and if your backups step in and get exposed, that's not a good thing. And let's not pretend all of our success was due to their couple of backups in there.

[url=http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-notes-0826-20110825,0,68901.story]Ravens: Ravens' pass defense looks shaky against Redskins - baltimoresun.com[/url]

Hightower's touchdown run was the first of the preseason against the Ravens, and they were less than pleased about it.

"We never give up yards running the ball, but the bottom line is when you look at that play, there were so many mistakes just on that one play," said inside linebacker Ray Lewis, who was blocked to the turf. "I think this is just an opportunity for us to always get better. But I really like the way we came out and faced adversity."

Defensive tackle Haloti Ngata said there was no miscommunication on the play.

"It was just more of the D-line getting cut down," he said. "Really, we've got to stay on our feet. If you see that play, I've got two guys on me, and some of us got cut down, so they had that little cut-back area. But I think we did better as the game went on. Hopefully, we can get rid of those mistakes and keep up our progression."

Ruhskins 08-26-2011 09:50 AM

[quote=skinsguy;827715]On one of my other forum boards, we have a couple of Ravens fans on there. This is what was being posted last night! If this doesn't get ya fired up, nothing will![/quote]

Any Ravens fan that talks any sh*t from this point on is just plain ignorant. The pseudo rivalry is cute during preseason, but after the game is over so is the "rivalry". That being said, their first-team offense got 14 points from two lucky penalties against our defensive unit that was without:

- The defense's QB (Fletcher)
- Our best player (Landry)
- One of the starting CBs (Wilson)
- A starting DE (Carriker)
- And we lost one of our promising rookies to an injury during the game (Jenkins)

Also, not to mention how their final first-team TD came against our back ups.

ArtMonkDrillz 08-26-2011 10:09 AM

[quote=Ruhskins;827781]Any Ravens fan that talks any sh*t from this point on is just plain ignorant. The pseudo rivalry is cute during preseason, but after the game is over so is the "rivalry". That being said, their first-team offense got 14 points from two lucky penalties against our defensive unit that was without:

- The defense's QB (Fletcher)
- Our best player (Landry)
- One of the starting CBs (Wilson)
- A starting DE (Carriker)
- And we lost one of our promising rookies to an injury during the game (Jenkins)

Also, not to mention how their final first-team TD came against our back ups.[/quote]Great Post! Exactly what I was going to say, except I completely forgot about Wilson also being out.

Also, consider the fact that the ravens and especially many raven fans seem to think that they are once again a Super Bowl contender, whereas just a few weeks ago ESPN.com was asking if the Skins were going to be the worst team in the league. I'm not saying we should take this as a moral victory but I think our team came out and showed that they can play. Hopefully this all translates to the regular season.

skinsguy 08-26-2011 12:48 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;827793]Great Post! Exactly what I was going to say, except I completely forgot about Wilson also being out.

Also, consider the fact that the ravens and especially many raven fans seem to think that they are once again a Super Bowl contender, whereas just a few weeks ago ESPN.com was asking if the Skins were going to be the worst team in the league. I'm not saying we should take this as a moral victory but I think our team came out and showed that they can play. Hopefully this all translates to the regular season.[/quote]

There's no way this Ravens team is a Super Bowl contender. No way, no how. They can be a consistent playoff team, but not a Super Bowl team.

Ruhskins 08-26-2011 01:16 PM

[quote=skinsguy;827895]There's no way this Ravens team is a Super Bowl contender. No way, no how. They can be a consistent playoff team, but not a Super Bowl team.[/quote]

The Ravens need to get over the Steelers hump before they can be considered a SB team. As a football fan, I'll be curious to see what happens in Baltimore once the likes of Ed Reed and Ray Lewis retire. They still have a monster pass rusher in Suggs, a young up and coming NT in Cody, and probably the best D-lineman in the league in Ngata. But it will be curious to see how that team dynamic changes without Reed's and Lewis' locker room presence.

BigHairedAristocrat 08-26-2011 01:32 PM

[quote=skinsguy;827724]Are you sure you're on the right forum board? Hhhmmm...let's see...Ravens fan talk smack about my favorite team. And I'm supposed to be like, "snizzle, snizzle, you, you're, you're ri-righhht Mr. Ravens fan. I-I-I'm embarrassed to even be a Redskins fan. I sure hope your Ravens go all the way to the Super Bowl sir!"

Screw that! There's pride in this team again and doggonit, I'm fired up and ready to see this team have a better season. Certainly I'm realistic and don't expect this team to be Super Bowl Champs this year, but I'm tired of Redskins fans making excuses for themselves and other teams. Screw that![/quote]

They werent talking smack. They were stating obvious facts. Their explaining their o-line just like we would right now if we had 3 backups on our line. i think youre being overly sensitive... just like some people are whenever someone in the media says something thats not glowingly positive about the skins...

i think you are getting a bit overconfident in our team based on pre-season performance which means nothing. While i am always optomistic, our team has NOT been good at all under snyder. not once. Our two playoff appearances were more about luck than they were about being a truly good time. until we turn that around and become a truly good team (like the ravens have been in recent years), we just need to take our lumps. the redskins have been a joke. I'm 100% confident shanny will eventually turn things around if snyder stays true to his word and gives him the full 5 years on his contract. however, until we actually become a truly good franchise with proven results on the field in the regular season, we have ever reason to be skeptical and so do fans of other teams.

NLC1054 08-26-2011 03:55 PM

The thing is, we didn't do anything to the Ravens that the Steelers aren't going to do. Those corner blitz killed the Ravens in two out of three games. Ravens fans may not think it matters, but you think Dick LeBeau isn't licking his chops right now?

Excuses won't save Flacco's butt from being hassled all day come the start of the game.

MTK 08-26-2011 04:14 PM

[quote=NLC1054;827997]The thing is, we didn't do anything to the Ravens that the Steelers aren't going to do. Those corner blitz killed the Ravens in two out of three games. Ravens fans may not think it matters, but you think Dick LeBeau isn't licking his chops right now?

Excuses won't save Flacco's butt from being hassled all day come the start of the game.[/quote]

Good point. For all their talk about how they got things fixed to deal with the Steelers, we pretty much abused them like the Steelers do.

mooby 08-26-2011 04:16 PM

Before yesterday I didn't know how many friends I have that root for the Ravens. They came crawling out of the woodworks yesterday after we lost to them to declare themselves the winner of the beltway rivalry. Alls I can say is that our ones beat their ones yesterday, and that's what matters to me.

skinsguy 08-26-2011 04:44 PM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;827925]They werent talking smack. They were stating obvious facts. Their explaining their o-line just like we would right now if we had 3 backups on our line. i think youre being overly sensitive... just like some people are whenever someone in the media says something thats not glowingly positive about the skins...

i think you are getting a bit overconfident in our team based on pre-season performance which means nothing. While i am always optomistic, our team has NOT been good at all under snyder. not once. Our two playoff appearances were more about luck than they were about being a truly good time. until we turn that around and become a truly good team (like the ravens have been in recent years), we just need to take our lumps. the redskins have been a joke. I'm 100% confident shanny will eventually turn things around if snyder stays true to his word and gives him the full 5 years on his contract. however, until we actually become a truly good franchise with proven results on the field in the regular season, we have ever reason to be skeptical and so do fans of other teams.[/quote]

Oh stop with the overly sensitive crap. I'm not over-sensitive at all. I'm just pointing out the excuses that some of these people are going to have when they play the Redskins. You can point out "well it's just preseason" all you want to, but the fact is the third preseason game is pretty much like a regular season game. Heck, we had at least three of our starters out on defense and one we lost early in the game for the whole season. Let's point that out, shall we? So, big deal....now the teams are even.

Whether if you want to admit it or not, this team has improved, and the regular season is going to make a believer out of you.

BigHairedAristocrat 08-26-2011 06:53 PM

[quote=skinsguy;828041]Oh stop with the overly sensitive crap. I'm not over-sensitive at all. I'm just pointing out the excuses that some of these people are going to have when they play the Redskins. You can point out "well it's just preseason" all you want to, but the fact is the third preseason game is pretty much like a regular season game. Heck, we had at least three of our starters out on defense and one we lost early in the game for the whole season. Let's point that out, shall we? So, big deal....now the teams are even.

Whether if you want to admit it or not, this team has improved, and the regular season is going to make a believer out of you.[/quote]

Why do you act as if i dont want to admit the team has improved - i flat out said it and that i was confident we were on the path to success. i'm just not a "bipolar" fan who feels i have to jump on on "the sky is falling" or "were gonna win the superbowl" or "im tired of all the haters" bandwagons based on the outcome of a freaking preseason game.

ArtMonkDrillz 08-26-2011 06:59 PM

[quote=skinsguy;827895]There's no way this Ravens team is a Super Bowl contender. No way, no how. They can be a consistent playoff team, but not a Super Bowl team.[/quote]Agreed, but I work 5 minutes south of Baltimore and, trust me, the majority their fan base is convinced they are. Remember, the ravens never lose because they're out played or the other team is just better, the refs ALWAYS screw them out of wins.

JoeRedskin 08-26-2011 07:11 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;828112]Agreed, but I work 5 minutes south of Baltimore and, trust me, the majority their fan base is convinced they are. [B]Remember, the ravens never lose because they're out played or the other team is just better, the refs ALWAYS screw them out of wins.[/B][/quote]

A few years ago (2007), I had a Ravens fan tell me that [I]the League[/I] had arranged for the Ravens to lose to NE (you know, the team that went 16-0) so that it would improve the chances of a New York v. Boston Superbowl.

I have said it before and I'll say it again - Baltimore Fans are just Philadelphia Fan wannabees. Just as obnoxious, just not as famous for it.

NLC1054 08-26-2011 07:15 PM

[quote=Mattyk;828009]Good point. For all their talk about how they got things fixed to deal with the Steelers, we pretty much abused them like the Steelers do.[/quote]

How many blitz from the secondary did we send? For frak's sake, if we had Landry, Flacco would've been black and blue.

They better replay this tape and hope that Bryan McKinnie is in shape enough to get his butt in gear, cuz Reed Doughty was getting pressure on Flacco in the backfield.

JoeRedskin 08-26-2011 07:41 PM

[quote=NLC1054;828117]How many blitz from the secondary did we send? For frak's sake, if we had Landry, Flacco would've been black and blue.

They better replay this tape and hope that Bryan McKinnie is in shape enough to get his butt in gear,[B] cuz Reed Doughty was getting pressure on Flacco in the backfield[/B].[/quote]

... and that should be a scary, scary thought to all Ravens fans. If Doughty can get through, just think what an actual NFL safety could do!

(Don't get me wrong, I like RD, he gives it his all every play ... it's just that his all is, well, just not all that scary).

GTripp0012 08-27-2011 12:39 AM

[quote=Mattyk;827764]Ravens fans can spin things any way they want, fact is deep down they have some cause for concern. Every team has to deal with injuries, and if your backups step in and get exposed, that's not a good thing. And let's not pretend all of our success was due to their couple of backups in there.

[url=http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-notes-0826-20110825,0,68901.story]Ravens: Ravens' pass defense looks shaky against Redskins - baltimoresun.com[/url]

Hightower's touchdown run was the first of the preseason against the Ravens, and they were less than pleased about it.

"We never give up yards running the ball, but the bottom line is when you look at that play, there were so many mistakes just on that one play," said inside linebacker Ray Lewis, who was blocked to the turf. "I think this is just an opportunity for us to always get better. But I really like the way we came out and faced adversity."

Defensive tackle Haloti Ngata said there was no miscommunication on the play.

"It was just more of the D-line getting cut down," he said. "Really, we've got to stay on our feet. If you see that play, I've got two guys on me, and some of us got cut down, so they had that little cut-back area. But I think we did better as the game went on. Hopefully, we can get rid of those mistakes and keep up our progression."[/quote]Yeah, I'm with you. The Ravens are in some trouble this year. Maybe a lot of trouble. They really did not look like they would make the postseason if they played a schedule of 16 Washington Redskin teams, no matter how long they had to make adjustments.

I think the Redskins are going to hit a wall at some point this season when teams actually scheme towards their weaknesses. But who knows? Maybe they'll come out more well rounded on the other side. I hope no one is expecting 16-0 based on three preseason games, but the season is long. 4-12 and 10-6 are both reasonable outcomes at this point.

Bucket 08-27-2011 02:36 AM

I'm leaning more towards a 8-8,9-7, and at best a 10-6 year. Last year I had us at 4-12, 5-11, but we won 6 games.

We have a softer schedule then last year, and we are a stronger team. We have a much improved running game, and it should open up a lot more for the pass when teams start game planning to stop our run game. Jenkins going down is going to hurt us a lot, but I still see our defense getting better every week and towards the end of the year perhaps playing lights out football.

Running the ball, and defense wins game in Dec/Jan and if we stay healthy we could hit that run and pull out 10-6 like a few years ago in Gibbs 2.0

Bucket 08-27-2011 03:14 AM

Can Chris Neild make the transition to DE? They said he's a smaller and quicker for NT. Maybe he's got the skills and desire to move out to the DE position?

rbanerjee23 08-27-2011 08:26 AM

[quote=Bucket;828175]I'm leaning more towards a 8-8,9-7, and at best a 10-6 year. Last year I had us at 4-12, 5-11, but we won 6 games.
[/quote]

That's exactly what I think will happen as well - the skins lost a few games by just a few points last year and beat the eventual champs (GB - I know, I know they didn't have Rodgers b/c the defense knocked him out)

8-8 is very doable, we might even sneak into the playoffs with a 9-7 or 10-6 record. Definitely don't think we're going to win only 4 games.

Hog1 08-27-2011 08:36 AM

We were 6-10 last season. We lost 6 games by 3 points or less. We have a favorable schedule this season. We have improved the team across the border both in quality, talent and youth. How far-fetched is it that we will have a better record this season?

rbanerjee23 08-27-2011 08:42 AM

[quote=Hog1;828201]We were 6-10 last season. We lost 6 games by 3 points or less. We have a favorable schedule this season. We have improved the team across the border both in quality, talent and youth. How far-fetched is it that we will have a better record this season?[/quote]

And we beat Green Bay -- people seem to forget that.

Brody81 08-27-2011 08:54 AM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;827925]They werent talking smack. They were stating obvious facts. Their explaining their o-line just like we would right now if we had 3 backups on our line. i think youre being overly sensitive... just like some people are whenever someone in the media says something thats not glowingly positive about the skins...

i think you are getting a bit overconfident in our team based on pre-season performance which means nothing. While i am always optomistic, our team has NOT been good at all under snyder. not once. Our two playoff appearances were more about luck than they were about being a truly good time. until we turn that around and become a truly good team (like the ravens have been in recent years), we just need to take our lumps. the redskins have been a joke. I'm 100% confident shanny will eventually turn things around if snyder stays true to his word and gives him the full 5 years on his contract. however, until we actually become a truly good franchise with proven results on the field in the regular season, we have ever reason to be skeptical and so do fans of other teams.[/quote]

Dude, Why are you always so negative about our team? 90% of your post are negative. Your new name is GloomyBigHairedAristocrat. I wish you could block certain people on this board.

skinsguy 08-27-2011 09:19 AM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;828110]Why do you act as if i dont want to admit the team has improved - i flat out said it and that i was confident we were on the path to success. i'm just not a "bipolar" fan who feels i have to jump on on "the sky is falling" or "were gonna win the superbowl" or "im tired of all the haters" bandwagons based on the outcome of a freaking preseason game.[/quote]

You're outnumbered here. Nobody else here thinks as negative as you, and nobody shouldn't in order to be called a realist. Stop making excuses to justify being a Debbie-Downer. And please, stop making excuses for Redskins opponents.

skinsguy 08-27-2011 09:23 AM

[quote=Hog1;828201]We were 6-10 last season. We lost 6 games by 3 points or less. We have a favorable schedule this season. We have improved the team across the border both in quality, talent and youth. How far-fetched is it that we will have a better record this season?[/quote]

....and really, Mike Shanahan didn't know what type of team he had last year. It's not far-fetched at all. I actually believe at worst this team will be 8-8, depending upon QB play and injuries. If the team can stay relatively healthy, they're going to have a much better season.

TheMalcolmConnection 08-27-2011 10:59 AM

[IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nHF1WhyTmW4/TjdJftLqvnI/AAAAAAAACk4/8Bl3gQCuK9o/s1600/wet-blanket.jpg[/IMG]

And there really ARE some serious conclusions we can take from this game. Sure, in a couple weeks we're all 0-0, but if the game ends when our starters came out, that's a W. I refuse to believe even if this was regular season we wouldn't have stuck it to them

The Ravens fan that's talking all the smack needs to recognize (in addition to scoring from two penalties) that THEY weren't playing our best defense either.

rbanerjee23 08-27-2011 11:29 AM

You guys should know not to take BigHairedAristocrat too seriously -- that's just the way he is.

53Fan 08-27-2011 11:39 AM

Baltimore's still pissed the Colts left and their consolation was the Cleveland Browns. Screw the Ravens. Not having Fletch and Landry play and still sticking it to them while both teams "starters" played is good enough for me.

MTK 08-29-2011 03:15 PM

[quote=Brody81;828215]Dude, Why are you always so negative about our team? 90% of your post are negative. Your new name is GloomyBigHairedAristocrat. I[B] wish you could block certain people on this board.[/B][/quote]

You can

[url]http://www.thewarpath.net/profile.php?do=ignorelist[/url]

Mechanix544 08-29-2011 05:14 PM

its not that the preseason "means nothing". it just "doesn't count". The preseason means plenty. granted, it doesnt translate into bottom line wins or losses, but its importance is very underestimated. the preseason and the games are very important, they just dont count.

Ruhskins 08-29-2011 05:20 PM

[quote=Mechanix544;828876]its not that the preseason "means nothing". it just "doesn't count". The preseason means plenty. granted, it doesnt translate into bottom line wins or losses, but its importance is very underestimated. the preseason and the games are very important, they just dont count.[/quote]

Furthermore, I think this preseason (unlike previous ones) a lot of teams had their starters in a little bit longer and put more emphasis on these games given that they didn't have OTAs or rookie camps during the offseason.

People seem to forget that in the past couple of years, our starters in the preseason, showed the same flaws and problems that you would see in the regular season. I think this is the first time that I saw them correct a lot of those mistakes.

Once again, I don't think anyone is screaming championship, but it appears that we won't be the trash of a team that a lot of people think we are on paper.

saden1 08-29-2011 05:20 PM

They can't beat the Steelers...Ray Ray starting to look his age.

When they are in the same Conference and Division I might start to care what Ravens fans think of the Redskins...until then I hope they enjoy yet another playoff exit.

Mechanix544 08-29-2011 05:24 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;828879]Furthermore, I think this preseason (unlike previous ones) a lot of teams had their starters in a little bit longer and put more emphasis on these games given that they didn't have OTAs or rookie camps during the offseason.

People seem to forget that in the past couple of years, our starters in the preseason, showed the same flaws and problems that you would see in the regular season. I think this is the first time that I saw them correct a lot of those mistakes.

Once again, I don't think anyone is screaming championship, but it appears that we won't be the trash of a team that a lot of people think we are on paper.[/quote]

exactly my friend. i was among those who thought we were 7-9 at best. now after seeing some of the pieces of our little puzzle here, i am excited to say i think we could get to 10, maybe 11 wins if we get lucky. here is to hoping. i hope i win the fantasy league im in to help offset the frikkin 325 im dropping for sunday ticket on my ps3. DAMN YOU SHANNY FOR MAKING THIS TEAM INTERESTING AGAIN!!!!!