Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Internet Spelling Errors..... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=43791)

FRPLG 08-31-2011 02:51 PM

Re: Internet Spelling Errors.....

Spell 'a lot' right. I friggin' hate that people won't spell it right. It's spelled wrong in this thread already. Alot is not a word. Allot is a different word altogether. This is not hard people.

skinsguy 08-31-2011 02:54 PM

There's a difference between typing something like this: "Waht in the world are you talking about?" As opposed to; "I think it's rediculous how we can loose two games in a row!" Maybe I can understand ridiculous since that can be a difficult word to spell and sometimes we tend to spin things the way we would pronounce them, but how do you screw up lose?

SBXVII 08-31-2011 03:04 PM

[quote=skinsguy;829327]of course, i was inspired by one of the closed threads in the main forum. There are a couple of spelling errors that i see on the internet all the time - even by those you would assume would know better (columnists and alike.) the two that really annoy me the most are "loose" when one should use "lose" and "rediculous" when the correct spelling is "ridiculous".

I always assumed everybody had that squiggly red line underlining a misspelled word, but maybe not? :confused: Don't get me wrong though. I've accidentally used the wrong form of a word - like right instead of write. Nobody is perfect, but still, it seems like a few of these words are being adopted as being used correctly when that is not the case at all.

Which words have you guys noticed being used incorrectly on a regular basis?[/quote]

stop being a hatter!

Daseal 08-31-2011 03:12 PM

Every time I see "alot" I think of this comic.

[url=http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html]Hyperbole and a Half: The Alot is Better Than You at Everything[/url]

mlmpetert 08-31-2011 03:14 PM

[quote=skinsguy;829417]There's a difference between typing something like this: "Waht in the world are you talking about?" As opposed to; "I think it's rediculous how we can loose two games in a row!" Maybe I can understand ridiculous since that can be a difficult word to spell and sometimes we tend to [B]spend[/B] things the way we would pronounce them, but how do you screw up lose?[/quote]

?Que?

Alvin Walton 08-31-2011 03:21 PM

Ronnie Alot was a great safety.

SBXVII 08-31-2011 03:23 PM

[quote=Alvin Walton;829425]Ronnie Alot was a great safety.[/quote]

Dat right dare is funny.... he earnt alot too.

Alvin Walton 08-31-2011 03:30 PM

"Woot" is now in the Oxford dictionary.
I don't see why alot cant be.

I think LOL is in there too.

SBXVII 08-31-2011 03:35 PM

[quote=Alvin Walton;829429]"Woot" is now in the Oxford dictionary.
I don't see why alot cant be.

I think LOL is in there too.[/quote]

Because it ain't supposed to be there.

Alvin Walton 08-31-2011 04:05 PM

[quote=SBXVII;829432]Because it ain't supposed to be there.[/quote]

There are no rules when it comes to this sort of thing.
A lot of people act like there is some deity that has to has to pass down or approve words. Not so.
They just need to be popular and they will end up in the dictionary.

skinsguy 08-31-2011 04:15 PM

[quote=mlmpetert;829422]?Que?[/quote]

Case in point! ;-)

skinsguy 08-31-2011 04:16 PM

[quote=SBXVII;829420]stop being a hatter![/quote]

I'm not that mad! Or is it madd?

BleedBurgundy 08-31-2011 04:35 PM

[quote=Alvin Walton;829407]Lazy or he doesn't give a shit?
If its the latter then I don't blame him.
[COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="1"]Because its just a little football forum.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/quote]

clearly you mean "ladder."

Hog1 08-31-2011 05:08 PM

Getting very confusing........[IMG]http://www.texashatters.com/[/IMG]

mooby 08-31-2011 09:52 PM

I think I'm a pretty good speller, but a lot of the time I type so fast on the computer I miss an entire word completely. Up until about a month ago I used to think apparently was spelled apparantly. It wasn't until I typed that in google chrome that it notified me I was wrong lol. I just bought tapatalk for my phone so we'll see if I'm better on my phone than I am on my computer. My spelling in texts is nowhere near as good as it is on the comp though.