Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   McNabb, case study-coaching or talent at qb? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=44122)

skinster 09-15-2011 10:32 AM

McNabb, case study-coaching or talent at qb?

He isn't that old, and age shouldn't be the reason for him doing this poorly. He stunk last year, and is off to a start that I could literally do if I were the qb for the vikings.

It gets me thinking, was he ever good? or was he just a product of a great offensive scheme. I know he didn't always have the best wr core, but maybe good coaching/play calling can make up for lack of talent more than we thought. Look at how McDaniels did in denver last year offensively. Orton had NOBODY and still did very well.

It makes me happy that we traded him, makes me mad that we ever traded for him, and makes me question how much of a qb's success is based off of the coaching scheme and play calling.

Of course it is just one game, he has 15 more to show that he has stuff, but I'd say its safe to assume that he's pretty much a non-factor now.

I can't believe I drafted percy harvin. Shoulda went with moss.

Mc2guy 09-15-2011 11:28 AM

Re: McNabb, case study-coaching or talent at qb?

Like power hitters in baseball, quarterbacks seem to decline VERY quickly once their body starts to age. Most go from hero to zero in a matter of a couple years. Whether it is a decline in reflex reaction time, muscle control, leg speed, whatever... qb's go downhill fast. I think McNabb [U]h[U][/U]ad[/U] a lot of talent and was well coached. He has just reached the expiration point on his career. It is a sad fact that we all get old and slow down, but that is an immutable fact of life.

Schneed10 09-15-2011 11:59 AM

After seeing what AJ Feeley did in Miami after leaving Reid, seeing what McNabb has done after leaving Reid, and seeing the transformation Vick has made since joining Andy Reid, it's probably time to give a ton of credit to Big Red as a developer of QBs.

NC_Skins 09-15-2011 12:10 PM

Why are we still talking about this jackass?

McDummy has ALWAYS been overrated by the media and sports pundit. Andy Reid has shown that other QBs have been successful in his system, but those same QBs haven't shown to replicate the success they had in Philly. Five NFC Championship and he's only won 1. He's never been clutch, and I don't recall him ever leading a team to a win with 2 minutes left on the clock and needing a TD. Excuses have ALWAYS came up for McDummy. Oh...the WRs weren't good, Oh...the OL wasn't blocking....Oh....Andy Reid wasn't calling the right play. Instead, it should have been, Oh, McNugget isn't accurate enough to hit receivers in stride. Oh, McNugget sucked at moving the chains with his arm and getting yardage in between the hash marks.

**** this clown. People hound Rush Limbaugh way back then for his assessment on McNugget, but he was spot on. (even backed up by Steve Young that day)

skinsguy 09-15-2011 12:19 PM

I agree with Schneed. Reid deserves all the credit.

MTK 09-15-2011 12:34 PM

I can't help but think he may have lost his passion for the game once he got traded from Philly. He clearly hasn't been the same since.

skinster 09-15-2011 12:38 PM

[quote=Mattyk;835999]I can't help but think he may have lost his passion for the game once he got traded from Philly. He clearly hasn't been the same since.[/quote]

definite possibility, another thing I was thinking is that he's had so many surgeries and injuries, maybe they mounted up.

Alvin Walton 09-15-2011 12:40 PM

Take A Stab At McNabb

that didnt work

Suck For Luck

I hope we dont try that either.

mredskins 09-15-2011 12:54 PM

[quote=skinster;836000]definite possibility, another thing I was thinking is that he's had so many surgeries and injuries, maybe they mounted up.[/quote]

McNabb really has been pretty healthy when compared to most NFL players.

I think like Matty said he is just going through the motions no real desire.

Monkeydad 09-15-2011 01:00 PM

[url=http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=lc-carpenter_mcnabb_vikings_decline091411]McNabb looks very much like QB in decline - NFL - Yahoo! Sports[/url]

[IMG]http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2011/09/ipt/1316045829.jpg[/IMG]

I believe the system DID help him a lot in Philly. Yes, he had athletic talent earlier in his career. He could run well and had a strong arm on long throws. Accuracy never impressed anyone and it appears that last year exposed his inability to adapt or learn...unless it was a case of a lack of effort.

Minnesota is supposed to be a system that fits his skills. Week 1 was a disaster but I won't judge his whole season on one horrible week. However, I do think that he's done. Injuries have really taken a toll on him and his lack of accuracy is really showing now that his arm and scrambling ability are declining.

Many mediocre QBs have done adequate jobs in Reid's offense. This is why I am not buying into Kolb. He didn't impress me in Philly and I don't expect him to excel anywhere else.

Koy Detmer, Jeff Garcia, Ty Detmer, AJ Feeley...all have looked at least serviceable in Philly.

Lotus 09-15-2011 01:02 PM

[quote=Mattyk;835999]I can't help but think he may have lost his passion for the game once he got traded from Philly. He clearly hasn't been the same since.[/quote]

I second your theory.

skinster 09-15-2011 01:06 PM

[quote=mredskins;836004]McNabb really has been pretty healthy when compared to most NFL players.

I think like Matty said he is just going through the motions no real desire.[/quote]

just throwing it out there as a possibility. And considering his age, no he hasn't been healthy for most qbs. As an eagle, from 2004-2009 he only completed one season. From 2002-2009 he completed 2 seasons (2002 he played 10 games, 2005-9, 2006-10) The more you get injured in your career, the earlier your body will break down on you. Motivation probably has something to do with it, anxiety to prove himself on game day probably does also. And andy reid probably has alot to do with it.

mlmpetert 09-15-2011 01:06 PM

Ive been thinking about this for a long time but in the opposite way. Are some QB busts only bust because they were put into a situation that doesn’t take advantage of their strengths?

You got very well rounded qb’s that, during their prime, are likely going to be good no matter what type of system you put them in (think Farve, Cutler, Bledsoe).

Then you got guys that are really only suited towards certain type systems, and I agree and think McNabb would make a perfect case study of a guy that was put into a position to succeed early on and then forced to do things outside of his dominate strengths later in his career (although this isnt susposed to be the case in Minn). The offense in philly focused on McNabb’s strengths, not the other way around (maybe we should be giving madd props to Ron Rivera and not just Cam Newton?).

Then you also got QBs that are square pegs in round holes like Orton in Chicago (and hopefully Grossman), this list could also include Brad Johnson, Steve Young and Brees.

They seem to recruit guys and mold the offense around the QB more so in college then they do in the NFL, perhaps because regardless of the what type of QB you are if youre good enough to get drafted youre probably viewed as a very well rounded player. I got no problem with system QBs. I think their great. If Grossman and Beck are put in situations that will make them succeed, id rather have that then a awesome QB forced in a system that doesn’t really utilize their strengths as much as it could. So maybe the thinking should be, instead of whos the best qb, whos the best quarterback for my offense.

Although McNabb might be a old dog new trick type qb. I mean if you were to put Peyton Manning or Tom Brady in a completely new offense at this point in their careers would you really expect them to be great or even top 10 qbs?

SBprimetime 09-15-2011 01:11 PM

It is definitely the brilliant coaching staff and scheme that the Eagles have had throughout the years. McNabb, AJ Feeley, Jeff Garcia, Kolb, Vick, all were clearly beneficiaries of playing under Reid. What's even more remarkable is how NFL talent evaluators were too ignorant to realize that, and the Eagles front office capitolized.

2nd for Feeley (quite certain he was out of the NFL within a couple of years.)
We know what they got for McNabb.
Kolb for a top 10 2nd round pick (Cardinals are awful) and a young, proven pro bowl cornerback.
That trade was a tragedy. Don't you think the Cardinals could've used Rodgers- Cromartie on Sunday?

kali3 09-15-2011 01:12 PM

McNabb was always over rated IMHO.

TO was right about him.