Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Offensive Coordinator (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=4439)

sportscurmudgeon 01-06-2005 12:04 PM

FRPLG:

York is a disaster as an owner; you are right about that.

As for Donahue, you are living in a delusion. He is a disaster as a GM. He was part of the palace coup that got Steve Mariucci fired so they could hire Dennis Erickson. He was the GM that got the 49ers into "salary cap hell". He is the GM that gave a big contract and a big signing bonus to Kevin Barlow because he was the to be the cornerstone of the revamped 49ers. He is the GM that got them Tim Rattay and Ken Dorsey as their QBs. He is the GM that brought back Dana Stubbleifield to the 49ers to anchor their DL.

If Donahue is only 10% as good as you think he is, he'll have a job in the NFL in two weeks. My guess is that the best he gets next year is as a part-time scout.

skin4Life28 01-06-2005 12:06 PM

Didn't we have a offensive genius a couple of years ago. I think his name was Spurrier!!! If we were to bring in a whole new philosophy we are setting ourselves back another year. I am sorry college coaches just can't cut it in the NFL. Spurrier, Davis, Carroll, and the list goes on. Add Saban to that list in a couple of years. We are fine with Gibbs we saw at the end of the year he can get it done.

SkinsRock 01-06-2005 02:03 PM

We need a great offensive mind to come in and tweak Gibbs offense more towards the players we have and after studying this years tapes, modernize it to today's NFL......Oh wait......we already have one.....his name is Joe Gibbs!!!! Patience! He has now gotten his feet wet, let's see what he comes up with. Personally, I think next years team (offense) will show vast improvement, with few player changes.
The LAST thing this team needs is more change. Keep as many players and coaches as possible and just upgrade a couple positions and fill in the gaps wherever needed. Continuity!!!

FRPLG 01-06-2005 02:04 PM

[QUOTE=sportscurmudgeon]FRPLG:

York is a disaster as an owner; you are right about that.

As for Donahue, you are living in a delusion. He is a disaster as a GM. He was part of the palace coup that got Steve Mariucci fired so they could hire Dennis Erickson. He was the GM that got the 49ers into "salary cap hell". He is the GM that gave a big contract and a big signing bonus to Kevin Barlow because he was the to be the cornerstone of the revamped 49ers. He is the GM that got them Tim Rattay and Ken Dorsey as their QBs. He is the GM that brought back Dana Stubbleifield to the 49ers to anchor their DL.

If Donahue is only 10% as good as you think he is, he'll have a job in the NFL in two weeks. My guess is that the best he gets next year is as a part-time scout.[/QUOTE]
You could be right. I was talking based on my past understanding of his abilities. I seem to remember he was a hot commodity out of Buffaloe at one point. But from what I have just now read in several places he may not be all he was cracked up to be. I still think it'd be nice to get a quality talent evaluator in there with Gibbs.

Daseal 01-06-2005 05:57 PM

Im with Skinsrock, believe it or not. He deserves a chance to have a full offseason with the talent we have to try to put together an offensive game-plan. If I see the same crap I saw this year, then we need to just take that little headset off his head and let him lead the guys. Don't let him touch a playbook from either side of the ball, and start grooming Greg Williams.

Everyone needs time. The Minnesota game, even though it was MN, was encouraging. He showed us new looks and real routes.

shallyshal 01-06-2005 10:44 PM

i do not think chow is going anywhere, except as a head coach if he wishes to. the only way he would come to the skins is if gibbs gives him control of the offense the same way he delegated control of the defense to williams. that will NOT happen. too many toes like bugel and breaux's would get stepped on. look for 1 more year of gibbs and co. tinkering with the offense. if this is not a top 15 offense by end of next year, expect gibbs to for after an offensive mind like fassell or chow to turn it over to..

Beemnseven 01-06-2005 10:49 PM

[QUOTE=skin4Life28]I am sorry college coaches just can't cut it in the NFL. Spurrier, Davis, Carroll, and the list goes on. Add Saban to that list in a couple of years. We are fine with Gibbs we saw at the end of the year he can get it done.[/QUOTE]

You mean college coaches like Bill Walsh (Stanford), Jimmie Johnson (Miami), and ... [B]JOE GIBBS !?!? [/B] (San Diego State)

Look, there are college successes who turn into failures in the NFL, and there are NFL failures who are still in the NFL. It all depends on the players and the talent you've got. That's it.

Beemnseven 01-06-2005 11:03 PM

[QUOTE=itvnetop]Much like Gibbs' offenses, Chow's all begins with the run.[/QUOTE]

Interesting though, after the championship game, Bill Walsh had some comments on what he saw. Walsh said that everyone who watched saw an "evolution" in football offenses. He said USC proved that the old adage of 'establishing the run' got completely blown out of the water -- that anyone who follows that line of thinking is fooling themselves.

Now, I always remembered Bill Walsh following the offensive philosophy of 'pass first, and run just to mix it up'. And it could have been that Chow simply saw a weakness in Oklahoma's secondary. In fact, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State apparently exposed the same thing earlier this year by getting lots of yardage passing the ball against the Sooners.

Sometimes I think too many O-coordinators commit to the run stubbornly, almost as if it's an ego thing. Then again, I guess it all depends on the strengths and weaknesses of their opponents.

gortiz 02-01-2006 01:59 PM

Re: Offensive Coordinator

[QUOTE=JoeRedskin]Well, maybe we don't NEED an offensive coordinator, but, just as Gregg Williams gave Gibbs a valuable assistant who could build modern defense, maybe an innovative OC would help. Remember, in his first stint, Gibbs had an OC (Henning) who helped him to his first Superbowl. I have been hearing good things about Chow and think he probably would be a good fit for Joe - someone to help kickstart Joe's own creative juices and apply them to the modern game. As for the fact that Chow has had college success and no pro experience, I guess I think that applies more to head coaches than coordinators. With Joe as HC, I don't think Chow's lack of pro experience would be a significant factor.

To me, hiring someone like Chow is a win win for both Gibbs and Chow. Gibbs gets a new, fresh brain to pick and Chow gets pro experience.

Wow... I've convinced myself of what a great move this would be!! Someone get Danny boy to fire up ol' Redskins 1 and sign that man up![/QUOTE]

wow dude, you were on to something, substitute Chow for Saunders and you would be GOD.

That Guy 02-01-2006 03:14 PM

[QUOTE=gortiz]wow dude, you were on to something, substitute Chow for Saunders and you would be GOD.[/QUOTE]

the difference is saunders has had #1 offenses in the NFL... chow has done NOTHING here. the titan's offense was crappy, and that whole post was about how great chow was, not how much we needed an OC ;)

gortiz 02-01-2006 03:38 PM

[QUOTE=That Guy] that whole post was about how great chow was, not how much we needed an OC ;)[/QUOTE]

I saw a lot of posts asking the general question about us getting a new offensive coordinator ... I just thinkthat it was an interensting read so long ago.

One post made a point that if we got someone, it would have to be similiar to Joe's offensive philosphy ... pretty insightful I think ... I know its not rocket science ... but interesting on some levels regardless.

dmek25 02-01-2006 03:43 PM

sometimes doesnt great players make a coach look good?(i.e. chow)

That Guy 02-01-2006 04:15 PM

[QUOTE=dmek25]sometimes doesnt great players make a coach look good?(i.e. chow)[/QUOTE]

yes, but chow is also on a seriously undermanned titan team with much harsher competition every week and no nfl experience.

rookie playcallers generally don't get it done. He might be good in 5 years...