Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Worst off-season thus far? The NFL? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=445)

SmootSmack 03-17-2004 01:41 PM

[QUOTE=Phinehas]Indeed it ain't. Phinehas has been my alter-ego for many years. As I recall, I first started using it to play Wizadry on an Apple IIgs. I needed a name for my main character, and not being particularly creative, started flipping through a Bible to find a good, ancient-sounding name. Phinehas (who was the son of Eleazar and grandson of Aaron, Moses' brother) seemed like a cool name and it had my initials, PES, imbedded in it. It stuck, and I've been using it ever since.

So, please put down the blackjack, Daseal...Daseal? Please? I'm not a Dolphin fan. Really. Hehehe...

Don't tell anyone (I certainly try not to), but I used to be a Bengals fan. I grew up near Cincy, though, so I have a decent excuse. It is great to see Marvin Lewis finally turning the franchise around. Even so, I'll be rooting for the 'skins when they play the Bengals later this year.

TheCDV, I understand where you are coming from, and appreciate the points you made. The league did indeed say that TO missed the deadline. Fortunately, since the clubs have hammered things out on their own, the league hasn't really been forced to look too bad regarding the earlier declaration. In any case, although I appreciate your agreeable disagreement, I still think the NFL is looking pretty good compared to MLB, with its steroid issues and glaring inequities in team buying power. Thanks for the different perspective, though. :)

--Phin[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification...I guess I don't know my Bible all that well

raleighskinsfan 03-18-2004 03:15 PM

Ramseyfan-
I had to give you props over this line-
Drew Brees- turned out to bee a bust-
The double b's there were not lost on me. I got a good chuckle out of that.
Excellent analysis as well!

skinsfanthru&thru 03-18-2004 03:24 PM

[QUOTE=raleighskinsfan]Ramseyfan-
I had to give you props over this line-
Drew Brees- turned out to bee a bust-
The double b's there were not lost on me. I got a good chuckle out of that.
Excellent analysis as well![/QUOTE]

how can brees be considered a bust already when it's only been what 2 years since he got drafted and look at the offense he plays for: Schottenhiemer!! it's not like he's been a very qb friendly coach from what I remember and the caoch keeps on putting the old timer Flutie in and never really lets brees get into any rythm. plus look at Brees recievers the past couple years. other than Tomlinson, he hasn't really had squat. I remember seeing this guy play in college and if he's in a decent, balanced offense with atleast somewhat above average talent to throw to, he should be atleast decent. I'm not saying in any way that he'll be a hall of famer but he isn't a bust yet. plus it's not like he was a first round pick either so there weren't the same type of expectations as say Ryan Leaf.

offiss 03-18-2004 04:40 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfanthru&thru]how can brees be considered a bust already when it's only been what 2 years since he got drafted and look at the offense he plays for: Schottenhiemer!! it's not like he's been a very qb friendly coach from what I remember and the caoch keeps on putting the old timer Flutie in and never really lets brees get into any rythm. plus look at Brees recievers the past couple years. other than Tomlinson, he hasn't really had squat. I remember seeing this guy play in college and if he's in a decent, balanced offense with atleast somewhat above average talent to throw to, he should be atleast decent. I'm not saying in any way that he'll be a hall of famer but he isn't a bust yet. plus it's not like he was a first round pick either so there weren't the same type of expectations as say Ryan Leaf.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Marty has a real way with QB's doesn't he! :cheeky-sm

offiss 03-18-2004 04:51 PM

Personally I think the G-spot's have had the worst off season, other than coughlin who I like, I think they really missed the boat on free agency as usual, the word in jersey is that tim lewis is going with a brand new system on D, he will be running a 3-2 this way the budget boy's can save money on LB's. :cheeky-sm

TheCDV 03-18-2004 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfanthru&thru]how can brees be considered a bust already when it's only been what 2 years since he got drafted and look at the offense he plays for: Schottenhiemer!! it's not like he's been a very qb friendly coach from what I remember and the caoch keeps on putting the old timer Flutie in and never really lets brees get into any rythm. plus look at Brees recievers the past couple years. other than Tomlinson, he hasn't really had squat. I remember seeing this guy play in college and if he's in a decent, balanced offense with atleast somewhat above average talent to throw to, he should be atleast decent. I'm not saying in any way that he'll be a hall of famer but he isn't a bust yet. plus it's not like he was a first round pick either so there weren't the same type of expectations as say Ryan Leaf.[/QUOTE]

Look man this isn't college! Have you seen the guy play. His arm is as weak as a 95 year old man trying to get some snatch. He makes mistakes that I haven't seen since the Heath Shuler days and when the only alternative is Flutie... and he gets the nod...that should tell you something.

He is going on his 4th year in the league and he has shown no sign of progress. He may not have been a 1st RD pick but the expectations were still high being the 1st pick of the 2nd RD in 2001. Pure and simple... he is a bust and has the weakest arm of any starting QB in the NFL. He will at best be a career backup.

Daseal 03-18-2004 08:34 PM

Then why did he have such a good rookie year, CDV. It wasn't exactly all-pro type year, but it was very solid, especially for a rookie (I think rookie, whatever year before last was!)

skinsfanthru&thru 03-18-2004 09:07 PM

I thought this upcoming year was his 3rd but I may be wrong. His lack of arm strength was known before he was drafted and I would have to say the weakest arm of a starting qb would be fiedler but he is still young and has the capabilities to be a decent qb. once again I have to point out the lack of talent, save Tomilinson, also is a reflection of his play. maybe its the fact I am a chargers fan, except against the skins, but I think he could suprise people like he did in his rookie season. I mean if its possible for couch to do better somewhere else then why not brees?

SmootSmack 03-18-2004 09:18 PM

I think the problem with the Chargers last year was that their defense was so porous, so San Diego was playing catch up a lot, forcing Brees to win games for them. And at this point, he's just not that type of quarterback. He's more a clock manager than a playmaker

Daseal 03-18-2004 09:46 PM

That's true. The Warpath Allstar team could have scored on the Chargers.

skinsfanthru&thru 03-18-2004 10:06 PM

yeah, their secondary was very young from what I remember especially the corners.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-19-2004 12:45 PM

With players like Donovan McNabb (say what you want about his passing skills) and Tom Brady, you just know that they are good QBs regardless of who they are surrounded by.

Brees on the other hand has a weak arm, poor vision, and not exactly the best release. I don't care who you put around the guy, he's never going to be a quality starting quarterback. Yes he has only been in the league for 2 years. But, in my book, those two years have shown me more than I need to judge him. Perhaps like some other notable quarterbacks he just needs more time (a la Rich Gannon), but Gannons are few and far between and I doubt he will significantly improve.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-19-2004 12:47 PM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]I think the problem with the Chargers last year was that their defense was so porous, so San Diego was playing catch up a lot, forcing Brees to win games for them. And at this point, he's just not that type of quarterback. He's more a clock manager than a playmaker[/QUOTE]

That certainly made him look worse than he is, but the guy got beat out by Flutie who, though once a good QB, is what 40 yo? I just see what I see and I think he's a bust.

skinsfanthru&thru 03-19-2004 02:37 PM

we'll know for sure in a couple of years. I do agree he didn't play well last year as opposed to his very solid rookie year but like you said sometimes players don't really reach their peak until they r a bit older. I don't know if any of you read Chris Mortenson's chat wraps or not but I think there was one about someone asking about the chargers trading their first rounder, another pick, and brees to the skins for their first rounder and ramsey. as much as I'd love to get that first pick and trade that to another team for their first rounder and another pick or 2 plus the other pick from San diego, I really don't want to see Ramsey leave. The only reason I could see this being done is because with the addition of Brunnel and reaction from Ramsey of said addition, the skins aren't sure if Ramsey will want to resign when his rookie contract expires. I don't know how the coaches and FO can handle all of these decisions but I'm sure they've all had their fair share of ulcers and migraines, lol.

TheCDV 03-19-2004 03:01 PM

[QUOTE=Daseal]Then why did he have such a good rookie year, CDV. It wasn't exactly all-pro type year, but it was very solid, especially for a rookie (I think rookie, whatever year before last was!)[/QUOTE]

First off, it’s not his rookie year that you are speaking of. It was his second year... and solid in what sense? If you are strictly basing your opinion on stats…. (3284 yards and 17 TD's) then yeah. If that’s the case then you need to look at the entire body of work rather than just the surface. You are disregarding the fact that he attempted 526 passes! That's what happens when you play on a team that is always playing from behind. That is an average of about 33 passes a game.... I don't care who you are... if you get that many attempts a game you had better get at least that many yards. Also 17 TD's and 16 INT's is not "good" in any sense of the word. Sure he was a 2nd year guy and deserves a chance to grow... but then the problem becomes that he followed it up with a year in which every major statistical category dropped from the year before. Not to mention the fact that he was benched for Flutie who is by now a longtime member of the AARP.

His only crutch has been the fact that he has the best RB in football. 25% of his completions that year were to Tomlinson... little dumps in the flats that a five-dollar whore could complete!

I understand that he is not in a QB friendly offense…. but I am not basing my opinion on stats.... it is based on watching the guy play. He has a weak arm, makes unjustifiable mistakes, and has shown no sign of leadership. Being a star as a Boilermaker in the Big 10 doesn't equate to being a solid NFL QB.

The guy blows and should hold a clip board most of his career. Just watch!