Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=44844)

SmootSmack 10-23-2011 05:29 PM

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

This'll be brief:

[B]Jabar Gaffney[/B] He doesn't suck. He's been, for the most part a very strong performer for us. But he made two costly errors (drop, then fumble) at the end of the first half that led to three key points-and more importantly killed any momentum for us-at the end of the first half. Of course, other receivers had poor drops but I'll just go ahead and single out JG

[B]Playing Hankerson at the End[/B] Unlike John Beck, Hank really is a rookie. Playing his first NFL game ever, I'm not sure he's the guy they should have had in there and targeting at the end of the game

[B]Josh Wilson[/B] WTF dude?! I had you pegged as a Stud this weekend!

[B]Kevin Barnes[/B] Man, was I wrong about him. I thought he'd be Carlos Rogers with hands. Instead he's Ginger Rogers with two left feet. I haven't seen worse angles since my protactor broke. And so on...but seriously. He's suppoed to be one of the smartest, and most physical players on our D and he's just stinking up the joint week after week. I don't know why Buchanon didn't really play and why they still won't activate Kareem Moore. But if there's one area where I think we are very weak and just time won't help, it's our secondary. I've never been a "Oh no. We're 3-3. Everything must be blown up. We suck so bad" kind of guy...but changes need to be made pretty much asap to our secondary.

[B]Jim Haslett[/B] Where was the zero blitz? Heck we barely blitzed at all. I know most people have a fear of zero blitz largely because of the Dallas play. But personally, I like the aggressiveness. And I understand that Cam is unlike any QB the league has seen in a long time. But it felt to me like we were playing soft against him. We should have attacked him more, give him different looks, etc. Rattle him. He's made plenty of mistakes, along with his great plays, in the beginning of this career. Seemed like we didn't really try to force him to make mistakes

[B]Wasted Opportunities[/B] You shouldn't let a team beat you when they commit 15 penalties. You just shouldn't

[B]You[/B] Yeah I'm looking at you. Your posts in the gameday thread are getting tired. Just shut up already....no don't worry, I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about you (I think we all know who you are)

[B]Me[/B] John Beck looked a lot better than I expected. Actually, I think he looked poor in the first half. Made a lot of silly mistakes. But he really stepped it up in the second half. I'm pretty confident he can be effective for us for the rest of the year.

[B]The Deep Pass[/B] Where was it? What was AA in the game for, if not to use him to stretch the field

[B]Barry Cofield[/B] Was it just me, or did it look like he was just laying on ther ground there with the fumbled ball sitting right next to him? Just stretch our hand out and we get the ball

Ruhskins 10-23-2011 05:33 PM

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

You could've easily written "everyone" LOL.

SmootSmack 10-23-2011 05:35 PM

I thought Chris Chester was ballin'

Oh and I want to lay the smack down on that stupid Orakpo Geico commercial again. One of the worst commercials I've ever seen

GTripp0012 10-23-2011 05:35 PM

Beck was more of a bright spot than a problem today, but man that Carolina defense is bad. I don't have much hope that it's going to get better from here.

Coff 10-23-2011 05:36 PM

My take:

[B]The Redskins[/B]: They're just not a good team.

skinsfaninok 10-23-2011 05:37 PM

Whole team today was poor IMO except beck TH and Davis

Bucket 10-23-2011 05:47 PM

It seemed to me that we made the WRONG adjustments to the defense at half time. We wen't from 5-6 man blitz packages on Newton to barely ever sending 5. I don't know if that's because Haslett was worried about having Barnes back at safety or what, but after we stopped blitzing Newton he started lighting us up.

BleedBurgundy 10-23-2011 05:49 PM

I fear any offense with a quick strike threat. We're just not built to play from behind, and against teams with the ability to put up points quickly, that's where we are. Meh, we'll be vanilla until we get a real qb. That said, i still think Beck is a big improvement (yes, big) over the Sexy.

Big C 10-23-2011 05:50 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;851350]Whole team today was poor IMO except beck TH and Davis[/quote]

davis dropped an easy one that would have been a first down. instead we punt and carolina goes down and scores another touchdown. davis did ok, that was a crucial play he missed.

saden1 10-23-2011 05:51 PM

Big FU goes out to Snyder for putting togther yet another shitty and heartless team. Why do we field the same trash over and over? Let's try new trash, oh wait, the result will be the same. Trash is trash.

SmootSmack 10-23-2011 05:53 PM

Oh good, I thought it'd been too long since the last "let's just blame Snyder" post

The Goat 10-23-2011 05:54 PM

I think we learned a lot about our defense especially in this game. We are absolutely terrible, like bottom of the barrel, against mobile QBs. It's everything from what I can see: players, coaching, etc.

- Orakpo (and I love the guy) cannot contain his end and often gets caught over-pursuing or is just plain beaten by the QB and/or running back. Kerrigan on the other hand is smarter about containment, but then we have breakdowns across the d-line. When we signed Barry Cofield I didn't understand the excitement among some of us. He played in a great defensive system in NY and was surrounded by monsters. Now it's obvious why they didn't flinch to let him walk. This guy is the epitome of underwhelming. You could make the argument he's out of position I guess and would be better at end, but then why did we sign him? His name is Turd Ferguson from now on lol.

- Haslett doesn't seem to have a clue how to scheme against mobile QBs either. He brings pressure from one side but leaves the other open for running (escape) lanes. The defense has just looked clueless most of the time facing Newton, Vick, and even a very compromised Romo.

- Offensively we are a team w/o an identity. Sort of committed to the run but as soon as Tim got injured it was pass, pass, pass. Beck is probably better than Grossman but I don't think he's gonna win us games, rather make fewer big mistakes. So why become a pass only offense? Especially when you know you can't win the game today because the defense is getting shredded on most drives.

- The other identity crisis (and this goes on MS and BA) is whether we're trying to rebuild the offense and figure out who will play best next year or win now. We brought in Gaffney, who is average at best, and Stallworth (blah) in FA who both take a lot of snaps, but passed on Plaxico who is effin killing it. But then we put a rookie WR in to evidently try and win the game at the end? This is a big problem IMO. It looks and feels like a lack of leadership and direction among the braintrust.

Beemnseven 10-23-2011 05:57 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;851346][B]I thought Chris Chester was ballin'[/B]

Oh and I want to lay the smack down on that stupid Orakpo Geico commercial again. One of the worst commercials I've ever seen[/quote]

Hate to ruin the thread with mention of a good performance, but Trevor Matich just said that in Erik Cook's first ever start, he held Carolina NT Sione Fua to zero tackles, zero assists, zero sacks, zero pressures.

Hey, FWIW.

Slingin Sammy 33 10-23-2011 05:58 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;851339][B]Playing Hankerson at the End[/B] Unlike John Beck, Hank really is a rookie. Playing his first NFL game ever, I'm not sure he's the guy they should have had in there and targeting at the end of the game

[B]Josh Wilson[/B] WTF dude?! I had you pegged as a Stud this weekend!

[B]Kevin Barnes[/B] Man, was I wrong about him. I thought he'd be Carlos Rogers with hands. Instead he's Ginger Rogers with two left feet. I haven't seen worse angles since my protactor broke. And so on...but seriously. He's suppoed to be one of the smartest, and most physical players on our D and he's just stinking up the joint week after week. I don't know why Buchanon didn't really play and why they still won't activate Kareem Moore. But if there's one area where I think we are very weak and just time won't help, it's our secondary. I've never been a "Oh no. We're 3-3. Everything must be blown up. We suck so bad" kind of guy...but changes need to be made pretty much asap to our secondary.

[B]Jim Haslett[/B] Where was the zero blitz? Heck we barely blitzed at all. I know most people have a fear of zero blitz largely because of the Dallas play. But personally, I like the aggressiveness. And I understand that Cam is unlike any QB the league has seen in a long time. But it felt to me like we were playing soft against him. We should have attacked him more, give him different looks, etc. Rattle him. He's made plenty of mistakes, along with his great plays, in the beginning of this career. Seemed like we didn't really try to force him to make mistakes

[B]Wasted Opportunities[/B] You shouldn't let a team beat you when they commit 15 penalties. You just shouldn't

[B]The Deep Pass[/B] Where was it? What was AA in the game for, if not to use him to stretch the field

[B]Barry Cofield[/B] Was it just me, or did it look like he was just laying on ther ground there with the fumbled ball sitting right next to him? Just stretch our hand out and we get the ball[/quote]Great job SS. On point.

diehard 10-23-2011 05:58 PM

These coaches need to start gameplanning per team. Not simulating defending against Vick and Newton cost them. The team wasn't armed or prepared to face either the Eagles or Panthers. At least install some wrinkles to mix it up on offense and defense.