Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Crazy Cannuck! (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=4507)

Daseal 01-14-2005 11:46 AM

Crazy Cannuck!

Could the Redskins work out a deal in the offseason for a WR the magnitute of Plaxico Burress if we decided to go that route? Is it feasable at all if we get a few restructures? (Samuels, Wynn, hopefully Brunell but Im not holding my breath.) I'm looking for a quiet offseason. Resign, Restructure, and a few FAs. I feel Plax kinda falls into that young and hasn't reached his full potential yet category and could be a great pickup! Coles is also a Hines Wardish type player, so I feel he'd fit right in!

saden1 01-14-2005 12:01 PM

Don't Plaxico Burress whiney bitch ass. Plus, he isn't even that good.

skins009 01-14-2005 12:11 PM

I agree with you Daseal we need a quited offseason. First of all were not gonna get Plexico cause we will be outbid my other teams who aren't 20 million over the cap in 2006. People seem to forget this fact. I think we need to resign our kep players Smoot, Pierce, Samuels. Try to trade Gardner, and then for the love of god have a solid draft (that includes players outside the first round).

skin4Life28 01-14-2005 12:26 PM

Right now the Skins are talking and working on Samuels to a new multi-year extension which will limit the cap hit. I heard that is at the for front of the front office right now. So thats a start.

Redskins_P 01-14-2005 12:55 PM

[QUOTE=saden1]Don't Plaxico Burress whiney bitch ass. Plus, he isn't even that good.[/QUOTE]

Saden, who would rather have on your roster right now? Rod Gardner or Plaxico Burress?

If you're smart you'd rather have Plaxico. Right?

Big C 01-14-2005 01:03 PM

plaxico is a huge reciever, who can go up and get the jump balls. he is 6-5, same height as mike williams, and is much faster than williams. he is only 26 or 27, so i think it would be a good pick up if we could get him

Hogster 01-14-2005 01:20 PM

I totally agree with you on this one, I truly believe that if we had him he would be the difference in our offense. For one he commands attention from the defense, two he is huge and can run J. Gibbs routes and does not have a problem catching the damn ball! I also agree with this simply because he is young and on the rise. If we get if via trade/free agency then i would suggest we pick up Antrell Rolle (Miami CB) to replace smoot. Not only would this kid be a superb addition to our team, we wouldnt have to worry about hime being shell-shocked at the pace of an NFL game. I mean playing at Miami prepares you for the league.

TheMalcolmConnection 01-14-2005 02:21 PM

The more I hear about the subject the more I think the Redskins should explore trying to sign Plexico Burress. Even though we have a high draft pick, Mike Williams is the only one I would feel real comfortable taking.

The whole Braylan Edwards diagnosis is a little too Gardener-esque for my taste. I don't want to say trade down for Williams, but I feel that if we don't pick up a good WR in free agency that Williams may be one of the best, if not the best, pick up in the draft at WR.

SkinsRock 01-14-2005 03:14 PM

I was gonna say they can't do it, but considering the types of contracts they usually do, even with a big contract, his cap number the first couple years wouldn't be too bad. So I say go for it! Yeah, they'll have to make some tough decisions on some players in a couple years, but that's gonna happen anyway. If Gibbs creates the winning atmosphere that most if not all of us think he will, that will make players think twice about leaving just for a higher paycheck. Just look at the Patriots and how most of the players want to stay, even if they could make a little more elsewhere.

TheMalcolmConnection 01-14-2005 03:18 PM

[QUOTE=SkinsRock]I was gonna say they can't do it, but considering the types of contracts they usually do, even with a big contract, his cap number the first couple years wouldn't be too bad. So I say go for it! Yeah, they'll have to make some tough decisions on some players in a couple years, but that's gonna happen anyway. If Gibbs creates the winning atmosphere that most if not all of us think he will, that will make players think twice about leaving just for a higher paycheck. Just look at the Patriots and how most of the players want to stay, even if they could make a little more elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Very true. Tom Brady is a perfect example.

e16bball 01-14-2005 03:46 PM

In all honesty, Burress himself is a bit Gardner-esque...he is soo inconsistent and tends to disappear for long stretches, even games at a time...in addition he is injury-prone and a subpar teammate...let someone like the cowboys take a chance on his talent with a big paycheck...muhsin muhammad is the guy i want to become available, although i doubt the skins have the $ to pay him either...if someone has an idea on how much muhammad might cost if the panthers get rid of him, please let me know

TheMalcolmConnection 01-14-2005 03:49 PM

Muhammad is pretty old and he will most likely demand top-tier money...I would think much more than Burress, especially after how Muhammed has stepped up this season.

Daseal 01-14-2005 03:51 PM

Mushin Muhammad is 40 what now? He had one standout year, don't pay him yet.

I have faith that the Redskins FO will get rid of the cap like they do every year. I think we're going to see a bunch of money open up when we have a few restructures. We'll have the money to pursue 1-2 good FAs.

In my opinion our team has very few needs, DE, C, Blocking TE, WR. I'm assuming we resign pierce, smoot, etc in this. Now, I think we should go after either the WR/C or DE/C in free agency if possible. Then with our picks get either DE/WR and a blocking TE late. Look at contracts, see who's likely going to be headed out, and start grooming their replacement now.

MTK 01-14-2005 04:17 PM

[QUOTE=e16bball]In all honesty, Burress himself is a bit Gardner-esque...he is soo inconsistent and tends to disappear for long stretches, even games at a time...in addition he is injury-prone and a subpar teammate...let someone like the cowboys take a chance on his talent with a big paycheck...muhsin muhammad is the guy i want to become available, although i doubt the skins have the $ to pay him either...if someone has an idea on how much muhammad might cost if the panthers get rid of him, please let me know[/QUOTE]

I agree that Burress is a little Gardner-like with his inconsistency, but you can't deny he's the playmaker that Gardner can only dream of being. Burress averaged 19.9 yards per catch this year and was developing nicely with Roethelisberger before he got hurt.

His career yards per catch is 16.0 compared to 13.2 for Rod.

The more I think about it the more I think Burress would be a great pickup for us. The guy is a huge target and he can get down the field.

Mohammed is looking for big bucks, plus he's a little long in the tooth.

CrazyCanuck 01-14-2005 04:45 PM

Like someone else mentioned, the cap hits of a new contract are usually quite low in the first few years, so we probably could afford to bring in Plax (or someone else).

Personally I like Plax, but I'm hesitant to go after WRs. I still like the bunch we have and I think linemen will come in more handy in Gibbs' offense.

Of course if Coach wants the Plax - then so do I.