Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Scud's Studs (Week 11 vs Dallas) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=45304)

Jontrem 11-21-2011 11:10 AM

Re: Scud's Studs (Week 11 vs Dallas)

[quote=JoeRedskin;861969]So I was unable to watch the game but it sounds like folks are giving P.Riley a lot of credit for playing well. Anything in particular? Same question for Nield.

Like hearing how the rookies seem to be stepping up.[/quote]

I'll say this for Riley he is FAST for a big dude. He was flying all over the place and he stuffed the whole twice like a madman. I think they were both against Murray and he just stopped him stone cold both times. I also like how he gang tackles, someone else has the guy wrapped up and heading to the ground but he jumps in there for some extra punishment, nothing dirty but good hard playing.

freddyg12 11-21-2011 11:14 AM

[quote=Hail to the Redskins;861815]I'd consider our D-Line "studs" this week...

DeMarco Murray - 25 Carries for 73 yards... 2.9 per carry.

This is after carving up the league for the past 3 games. I was very glad to see that today.

[B]Also... 4 sacks when Romo hadn't been sacked in 3 games. I know there were 4 times he KILLED us (they decided the game) by eluding our pressure... but coverage needs the majority of the blame there[/B].[/quote]

I see it the other way around, I thought our 4 sacks were mainly coverage sacks. romo beat us downfield on plays in which the coverage held long enough for a sack or hurry, but neither happened. He left the pocket not as much due to pressure, but in anticipation of pressure & to get a better angle. Far too much time back there for him & when he left the pocket, he was never forced to throw off balance.

sportscurmudgeon 11-21-2011 11:45 AM

Someone who has not been mentioned so far is Polumbus. The Skins' interior offensive line play was better here than it has been all season long. Perhaps this kid is a real player? Time will tell but the first showing was positive.

freddyg12 11-21-2011 11:50 AM

[quote=sportscurmudgeon;861977]Someone who has not been mentioned so far is Polumbus. The Skins' interior offensive line play was better here than it has been all season long. Perhaps this kid is a real player? Time will tell but the first showing was positive.[/quote]

yeah, he ended up matched up w/speed rushers too, they really tested him. Got beat several times but held his own for the most part. He got hit w/a really bogus holding call in 1st half that negated a big play to Davis.

mlmpetert 11-21-2011 11:51 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;861969]So I was unable to watch the game but it sounds like folks are giving P.Riley a lot of credit for playing well. Anything in particular? Same question for Nield.

Like hearing how the rookies seem to be stepping up.[/quote]

Hes definitely fast like Jontrem said, but ive always thought hes a little small.... but maybe being next to Orapko and Kerrigan it just seems that way.

The thing i really like about him is his hussel or motor or whatever you call it. He also has pretty good instints. Hes just all over the field on every play. You see 56 everywhere. Hes kind of like a London Fletcher lite.

But what i really love about him is he can tackle, i dont think ive seen him wiff a tackle yet. Thats what ive hated about Macintosh.

As SS pointed out it looks like he was responsible for leaving witten wide open for a TD, but the guy just needs to get more reps. He could be good and if Fletcher leaves he will likely be the play caller next year.

mlmpetert 11-21-2011 12:06 PM

[quote=freddyg12;861974]I see it the other way around, I thought our 4 sacks were mainly coverage sacks. romo beat us downfield on plays in which the coverage held long enough for a sack or hurry, but neither happened. He left the pocket not as much due to pressure, but in anticipation of pressure & to get a better angle. Far too much time back there for him & when he left the pocket, he was never forced to throw off balance.[/quote]

I kind of felt that Orapko was assigned to keep Romo contained rather then just rush him. It seemed like Orapko stayed in front of him and to his outside while the presure came from Romo's right and in front of him in order to keep romo from running to his left. I dont know how true this is, but it seemed this way to me.

I really liked the way our front 7 played. I would love to see Neild get some more reps, he could end up being a stud.

sandtrapjack 11-21-2011 12:21 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;861687]Stallworth
Gafney
Kerrigan
Nield
Riley
Fletcher
ST w/ exception of Gano[/quote]
Gafney should be listed first on that list. I thought with Moss sidelined the Dallas Defense would have had a better showing. But Gafney was KILLIN the Dallas secondary all friggin day.

I like what Siragusa said during the game. It was like the Dallas secondary was "waiting for the sack" and not covering as well as they should.

SFREDSKIN 11-21-2011 12:23 PM

[quote=sandtrapjack;861992]Gafney should be listed first on that list. I thought with Moss sidelined the Dallas Defense would have had a better showing. But Gafney was KILLIN the Dallas secondary all friggin day.

I like what Siragusa said during the game. It was like the Dallas secondary was "waiting for the sack" and not covering as well as they should.[/quote]

My list wasn't by performance, just the names that popped up at the time. Stallworth did make that nice TD catch and also made some other plays too.

skinsfaninok 11-21-2011 12:23 PM

^ I agree Gaffney had a great game as did the Oline my boy TW held his own against Ware

sandtrapjack 11-21-2011 12:35 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;861994]My list wasn't by performance, just the names that popped up at the time. Stallworth did make that nice TD catch and also made some other plays too.[/quote]
Sorry, did not mean to infer your list was out of order or anything. Just ponting out that I think Gafney was the top performer in my opinion. Seems like every time the Skins needed to move the chains, Gafney was open or making great grabs.

Props to Stallworth for the TD catch, but he would have never been in that position had not Gafney provided those 3rd down conversions. He really stepped up in the absence of Moss and the inability of Davis to get the ball on third down.

freddyg12 11-21-2011 12:55 PM

[quote=mlmpetert;861985]I kind of felt that Orapko was assigned to keep Romo contained rather then just rush him. It seemed like Orapko stayed in front of him and to his outside while the presure came from Romo's right and in front of him in order to keep romo from running to his left. I dont know how true this is, but it seemed this way to me.

I really liked the way our front 7 played. I would love to see Neild get some more reps, he could end up being a stud.[/quote]

If that's the case, he didn't do much of a job as Romo rollled to his side to make several big plays. In fact, I don't recall one in which Romo scrambled to his right.

On a similar note, read J. Kleim's wash examiner 10 observatons article (link on left hand side of warpath home pg.). He said he heard from a dallas source that the plan was to run to Rak's side.

Bucket 11-21-2011 12:58 PM

[quote=mlmpetert;861980]Hes definitely fast like Jontrem said, but ive always thought hes a little small.... but maybe being next to Orapko and Kerrigan it just seems that way.

The thing i really like about him is his hussel or motor or whatever you call it. He also has pretty good instints. Hes just all over the field on every play. You see 56 everywhere. Hes kind of like a London Fletcher lite.

But what i really love about him is he can tackle, i dont think ive seen him wiff a tackle yet. Thats what ive hated about Macintosh.

[B]As SS pointed out it looks like he was responsible for leaving witten wide open for a TD, but the guy just needs to get more reps. He could be good and if Fletcher leaves he will likely be the play caller next year[/B].[/quote]

You know whats funny? Whitten was wide open and if it was that LB's responsibility then it was Rocky's fault haha.. You can see on the play that Rocky was in there and not Riley for that play.

sandtrapjack 11-21-2011 01:08 PM

[quote=Hail to the Redskins;861815]I'd consider our D-Line "studs" this week...

[B]DeMarco Murray - 25 Carries for 73 yards... 2.9 per carry.[/B]

This is after carving up the league for the past 3 games. I was very glad to see that today.

Also... 4 sacks when Romo hadn't been sacked in 3 games. I know there were 4 times he KILLED us (they decided the game) by eluding our pressure... but coverage needs the majority of the blame there.[/quote]
This I refer back to my post last week leading up to the game when Dallas announced that Tony Fiametta would not be making the trip to Landover.

Like I said: Before Fiametta was there at full back, Cowboys averaged 86 yards per game rushing the ball. After Fiametta joined the Cowboys averaged over 176 yards per game.

I said last week that the loss of Fiametta blocking for Murray was a huge blow to the Cowboys running game. And it showed.

SmootSmack 11-21-2011 01:17 PM

[quote=Bucket;862012]You know whats funny? Whitten was wide open and if it was that LB's responsibility then it was Rocky's fault haha.. You can see on the play that Rocky was in there and not Riley for that play.[/quote]

Pretty sure they both were and Fletcher wasn't in

Bucket 11-21-2011 01:27 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;862020]Pretty sure they both were and Fletcher wasn't in[/quote]

Well all I saw in the video was Rocky looking downfield at Whitten, but It wasn't anyone's fault.. He came from the slot backside, and broke off his route for a backyard play basically..

Kinda like the D. Hall play.. I don't expect anyone to cover an elite WR/TE for that long.