Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Its Official: EA SUCKS (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=4534)

Cush 01-17-2005 07:59 PM

Its Official: EA SUCKS

[url]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01/17/news_6116473.html[/url]

redrock-skins 01-17-2005 11:14 PM

I hear ya! Even if you're a die-hard EA fan, this is not good for you either. They no longer have anyone pushing them and it will be hard for anyone else to make a football game since they cannot use the NFL players. I like a lot of EA games too, but now I worry about the other sports too.

All I know is I am not about to spend $50, then spend more to play it online from EA on top of the money I already spend for Xbox Live.

SmootSmack 01-17-2005 11:17 PM

I think I had read somewhere that EA even signed an exclusive deal with the Arena Football League

redrock-skins 01-17-2005 11:33 PM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]I think I had read somewhere that EA even signed an exclusive deal with the Arena Football League[/QUOTE]

Are they making an arena game?

SmootSmack 01-18-2005 12:06 AM

here you go redrock

[url]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01/10/news_6116065.html[/url]

redrock-skins 01-18-2005 12:30 AM

An AFL video game could be really cool if done right. Thanks.

FRPLG 01-18-2005 10:17 AM

Wow...this is craziness. So whats the deal with the Madden franchise? Are they losing the Madden name and goijg with ESPN instead maybe??? Interesting to see where they go with that.

illdefined 01-18-2005 12:32 PM

can you believe it? instead of improving their game, EA takes the easy route to kill competition.

someone got too close to their $50/year-for-the-same-game/roster update scam. they'll do ANYTHING to not have to improve their game.

now we'll pay $50 again (or $60, why not? only NFL game in town now) to get the same Madden game as always but with ESPN presentation.

EA: try actually DEVELOPING for once!

redrock-skins 01-18-2005 01:44 PM

[QUOTE=illdefined]can you believe it? instead of improving their game, EA takes the easy route to kill competition.

someone got too close to their $50/year-for-the-same-game/roster update scam. they'll do ANYTHING to not have to improve their game.

now we'll pay $50 again (or $60, why not? only NFL game in town now) to get the same Madden game as always but with ESPN presentation.

EA: try actually DEVELOPING for once![/QUOTE]

Hopefully, the most devoted Madden fans will realize this too. I seem to be reading a lot of different message boards on gaming sites, where many just say "ESPN games sucked anyway". That's not even the point, but the point will get real clear when its $50 or more for the game.

BrudLee 01-18-2005 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=FRPLG]Wow...this is craziness. So whats the deal with the Madden franchise? Are they losing the Madden name and goijg with ESPN instead maybe??? Interesting to see where they go with that.[/QUOTE]
This is the equivalent of the Eagles drafting a QB. The current one is fine, but he can't go on forever, so we'd better have a backup plan in place.

Honestly, how much longer can Madden keep announcing? It's not like he's in fighting shape.

BDBohnzie 01-18-2005 02:33 PM

biggest copout ever...

this will pretty much signal the end of the ESPN NFL 2K series, but i think the other games (hockey, basketball, baseball) could thrive if they play their cards right...

illdefined 01-18-2005 07:59 PM

the NFL, of all organizations, should know the financial and spiritual value of parity.

what a huge disappointment.

SKINSnCANES 01-18-2005 11:51 PM

why is everyone so down on this. They didnt just pay espn to use their name and broadcasters, they will be partners in 2006 when segas deal runs out. That means that EA sports is bringing in the espn programmers to try to make a better prodcut. so now instead of having them competing, its a two heads are better than one idea.

I think this is great news, why wold espn wanted to waste their time making some game that couldnt use nfl players. i dotn want afootball game if its not nfl, even it is good.

bottom line was espn couldnt use nfl rights, well now they can as a partner and try and make a better product. im happy about this, mabye now the presentation and sound will get a lot better for madden games. sucks we have to wait two eyars to see it, but itll be on a new gaming system and probably bas ass.

SKINSnCANES 01-18-2005 11:54 PM

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=1969067[/url]

illdefined 01-19-2005 12:32 AM

[QUOTE=SKINSnCANES]why is everyone so down on this.[/QUOTE]

because combined with the previous NFL deal, EA now has NO competition to:

1)lower the price of their little-more-than-a-roster-update-yet-full-priced game.

or

2)improve their game to the level of the competion's strengths

Sega could have still come out with a great game with numbers instead of names for the players, like the first Madden did before it got ITS license back in the genesis days. and it could have continued to push up the quality of football games in general, while bringing the price down.

now EA will have nothing to worry about from any competition, not even name recognition. remember, EA already forced Microsoft to shelve Fever (which was doing some genuinely awesome stuff with the passing game) to allow online Madden play on the Xbox. EA is abusing it's power (again) to keep their game number one. it's called a monopoly, and don't be surprised when you see the words 'anti-trust' come up soon.

MTK 01-19-2005 08:27 AM

Capitalism at it's best. Buy out your competitors and partner up with other giants in the industry.

The key to all this is the deal EA has with the NFL. Other companies may continue to try to make football games, but without the players, teams, stadiums, etc., there's no way they can put a dent in EA's sales.

Many people have always thought if you could combine the best of the NFL2K series and Madden you'd have an incredible game. But just because ESPN is partnering up with EA doesn't mean EA will bring on the programmers from Sega.