Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Have A Happy & Safe Thanksgiving (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=45341)

firstdown 11-22-2011 10:45 AM

Have A Happy & Safe Thanksgiving

So what are your plans for thanksgiving and are you one of those people that have to travel?

mooby 11-22-2011 10:50 AM

Re: Have A Happy & Safe Thanksgiving

Yes I am and my pops is insisting we leave early in the morning because if we don't we will have to survive one hellish ride down 95. As bad enough as NoVa's commute is in the morning, it's 10 times worse when combined with holiday traffic. Used to take me 1 1/2 hours just to drive 10 miles from my job to my house back in the day.

Butyeah as far as plans go me n my dad are driving down to NC, we're meeting up at my sis's house in Raleigh and my bro is driving over from Camp Lejeune.

I hope everyone here has a safe and happy Thanksgiving as well.

firstdown 11-22-2011 11:34 AM

I'm lucky. I have a 3min drive if I hit traffic. The worse case for any holiday is having to drive 45min to my sisters.

JoeRedskin 11-22-2011 11:46 AM

Going to In-Laws then to Parents (all basically local). Eating lots & avoiding responsibility as much as I possibly can.

Happy Thanksgiving to All! May you spend it safe and warm among those who love you!

hooskins 11-22-2011 11:46 AM

Thanksgiving will be at my place. Driving up to MD on Saturday for my aunt's anniversary party. Family filled weekend.

mlmpetert 11-22-2011 01:16 PM

[quote=mooby;862281]Yes I am and my pops is insisting we leave early in the morning because if we don't we will have to survive one hellish ride down 95. As bad enough as NoVa's commute is in the morning, it's 10 times worse when combined with holiday traffic. [B]Used to take me 1 1/2 hours just to drive 10 miles from my job to my house back in the day. [/B]

Butyeah as far as plans go me n my dad are driving down to NC, we're meeting up at my sis's house in Raleigh and my bro is driving over from Camp Lejeune.

I hope everyone here has a safe and happy Thanksgiving as well.[/quote]

My second real job was at Best Buy in Springfield when i was 16. I was scheduled to work black friday but had no idea what black friday was, just that it will be a little busier then normal. I lived a little more then 5 miles away and it took me 2 hours to get to work give or take.

I have a very relaxed Thanksgiving this year so i am happy.

Also in Richmond they have been running ads for Bojangles Fried Turkeys for thanksgiving. Sounds really good.

Ruhskins 11-22-2011 01:17 PM

I will be hosting Thanksgiving, which means that my family in NY will be driving down to MD (instead of me driving up to NY). Looking forward to lots of food and lots of football. I hope everyone has a safe Thanksgiving and that you may have many things to be thankful for.

over the mountain 11-22-2011 02:19 PM

i will be driving to West Virginia wednesday night to spend thanksgiving day with my lady's side of the family.

My car currently has windshield wipers that usually stops working, one headlight out, a crack all the way across the windshield and the engine tends to shake violently.

This morning i put rain x on my windshield so i could make it to work and ive been putting on my floodlights in addition to my regular lights b/c it turns on a smaller bulb in the headlight that is out so it reduces the risk of me getting pulled over for having a headlight out.

Oh and my lady's uncle's wife's side of the family are all cowboy fans. my lady's side of the family are all skins fans. last year things got alil contentious when an 80- year old lady got up in front of the TV and did a dance and cheer when something bad happened to the cowboys.

a lil later on i stepped out for a cigarette, came back in and the vibe was very tense. i whispered to my lady what happened. she said something about words being exchanged, her uncle's wife's mother said she was offended and surprised by the rowdy display of my lady's side of the family, specifically my lady's mom and her grandmom.

i had a lil to drink, feeling like i should defend the elder ladies of the woman i planned on marrying, i said to my lady's uncle's aunt's mother and father "i know them cowboys fans aint saying nothing with their record" .. whatever their record was. i just remember we had a better record at the time.

they looked at me with this blank stare like "get me the **** out of this mad house". they were very prim and proper people. not used to such outbursts and loose language i suppose.

ANYWAYs, dang sorry for the long story, happy thanksgiving and if you are having it at your house you should give an extra thanks b/c i hate always having to drive somewhere or going to someone elses house. i cant wait until next year when im doing thanksgiving at my house so i can walk around in my slippers, poop on my own private pooper, get as drunk as i want and all teh otehr good stuff of not having to leave your house on a day thats supposed to be about resting and comfort.

Alvin Walton 11-22-2011 05:23 PM

We always have it at my house.
Mother in law and my old maid sister in laws come over.
My sons stop by at some point to watch some football with me.
The women cook and do the dishes just like god planned it.
:food-smil
I prepare all the appetizer platters and snacks and stuff. I'm big on imported cheeses and different kinds of pickles and olives.
I have a case of random micro brews on stand by and some Boddingtons ale.
My sister in law is bringing some micros from the Chicago area including a mini keg of DAB (german beer).

Sweet yams from the last couple of years have been awesome.
[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/redstout/yams2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/redstout/yams.jpg[/IMG]

firstdown 11-22-2011 05:46 PM

Is that Yams? Looks good.

Alvin Walton 11-22-2011 05:54 PM

Yea, yams and sweet potato's.
My SIL makes those.