Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Make a Decison on the Future of... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=45786)

SmootSmack 12-19-2011 09:21 AM

Make a Decison on the Future of...

Well we've talked a lot about the future of London Fletcher and LaRon Landry Even Fred Davis but what about some of our other free agents?

Tim Hightower: If he shows he's healthy do you keep him or do you accept that we gave up a 5th (and Holliday) for a couple of weeks of Tim Hightower and let him go and ride the ROY-ster train?

Adam Carriker: Are you ready to hand over his spot to Jenkins and find someone else to provide depth?

Kedrick Golston: Um...I'm not really sure what to say here

Rocky McIntosh: Ditto

Will Montgomery: You can likely get him back for cheap. But do you say screw it and maybe try to draft a young C and move on without Montgomery? Or maybe you sign Grubbs and move Kory L. to C?

Tyler Polumbus: Has he shown you enough to offer him a contract to come back and compete for a T position

Donte Stallworth: Since returning after getting cut he's been a very clutch receiver, but should he stay?

Alvin Walton 12-19-2011 09:38 AM

Re: Make a Decison on the Future of...

Isnt it a bit early to talk about Jenkins because of his injury.
Yea, he looked great but will he come back to the same level.
And will he come back on time?

skinsfan69 12-19-2011 09:42 AM

I don't think you bring back Rocky or Montgomery. Rock isn't a fit for the 3-4 and Montgomery is just a step up from Rabach. Along w/ QB they need to draft a physical center that doesn't get pushed around. The rest of the guys I'd bring back for depth.

MTK 12-19-2011 09:56 AM

Some tough decisions here:

Hightower - I'd like to see him back in the mix as a backup. Helu is clearly the starter now.

Carriker - I think you bring him back. Jenkins will be coming off an injury and has little experience.

Golston - gone.

McIntosh - gone.

Monty - bring him back for depth, but look to improve this position if possible.

Polumbus - bring him back.

Stallworth - I think at the least he's worth bringing to camp.

GTripp0012 12-19-2011 10:09 AM

I wouldn't bring back Hightower on anything more than a non-guaranteed one year deal, which is realistically all he is going to get off of ACL surgery. I would draft someone who is expected to be a feature back at the position someday, perhaps someone raw who needs work on pass game skills. Then I would put Hightower and Royster in competition for a single roster spot to split carries with Helu in 2012. And I would release the one that is less able, be that the recovering Hightower, or Royster.

Adam Carriker isn't going to have a spot in the starting lineup next year, and I'm not sure he even constitutes quality depth at this point. We'd be better off drafting the depth. Thing is, you can't draft at every position and Carriker is likely as good as other veteran alternatives in his price tier.

Golston is in the same boat as Carriker, but add in a season ending injury.

There is no purpose of having Rocky McIntosh back on this team, unless it is practical to have a "suck for Barkley/Griffin/Landry Jones/Tyrann Mathieu in 2013" campaign, in which case I don't think it's even worth the time to put in analysis.

Will Montgomery should be back next year, but only as the starting Center. The idea that he could slide over to either guard position while Erik Cook could be the new center was foolish. It would not hurt if we are going to pick just one lineman to draft the next center.

Tyler Polumbus isn't much of a player, but he has been part of a resurgence on the offensive line known as "no Jammal Brown." Polumbus probably shouldn't be brought back, but with the obvious inability of this team to critically examine its own roster, I would expect him to be in competition for starting RT next year. His ability to play three positions is nice, even if he's not particularly adept at any of them.

Stallworth has been much better in the second half of this season. I would stop short of saying he has actually been good or clutch. He should not be back.

Terpfan76 12-19-2011 10:25 AM

Tim Hightower: One year, incentive laden deal. If he's not happy with that, part ways. Hell, part ways and draft another late round rb.

Adam Carriker: If he'll sign a reasonable contract, I say keep him. He's at least a good back up and decent spot starter.

Kedrick Golston: I like Golston, but we should part ways and look for a younger back up.

Rocky McIntosh: He's not a good fit in the 3-4, let's draft someone to replace him.

Will Montgomery: I like Montgomery. I definitely think we should look to upgrade center via the draft, but Montgomery has been steady and may improve. He'd be an excellent guy to keep around for depth due to his ability to play several positions.

Tyler Polumbus: He's a guy you bring back for camp on a one year deal. See how he does and then think about re-signing on a longer term deal if he plays well. Low risk signing. He's played pretty well all things considered, but not well enough to pencil in as a starter. #depth

Donte Stallworth: Sign him to a one year deal and let him fight it out in camp. If he earns the job, fine if not, let him go.

Lotus 12-19-2011 10:43 AM

Hightower, Polumbus, and Carriker - one year deals. Let them earn their places (or not) in camp.

Golston, MacIntosh, and Stallworth - let 'em walk.

Montgomery - look to upgrade the position but he is too valuable to just let walk. In the worst case he provides good depth.

CultBrennan59 12-19-2011 10:46 AM

I would bring back Hightower, Carriker, Polumbus, Montgomery.

I would not bring back Stallworth, because there are guys like DeSean, Eddie Royal, and Colston who would fill in for his spot better than him.

Golston is a mere-backup and can't play in this defense.

Rocky isn't as fast nor aggressive as Perry Riley who is a small spark to the Defense.

Side note; I'd bring back Hightower on a one year low salary deal.

London you have to bring back

LaRon you bring back IF he gets surgery.

Fred you bring back but put into his deal that if he is caught with weed his salary isn't guaranteed.

Chico23231 12-19-2011 10:53 AM

[quote=Lotus;868952]Hightower, Polumbus, and Carriker - one year deals. Let them earn their places (or not) in camp.

Golston, MacIntosh, and Stallworth - let 'em walk.

Montgomery - look to upgrade the position but he is too valuable to just let walk. In the worst case he provides good depth.[/quote]

Agree with this. Add a couple things, none of these players will be particularly hot items in the offseason, with maybe the exception of Carriker getting some interest, so all will be inexpensive options.

I would be very careful with Hightower and Kory L coming off of major injuries.

SmootSmack 12-19-2011 10:53 AM

So you're saying let Stallworth go? Bring one of the receivers you mentioned in to be a 1 or 2 and slide everyone down? Or bring one of those guys in to be a 3-5 WR?

skinsguy 12-19-2011 10:55 AM

Hightower - Bring him back as insurance, but obviously, Helu is our guy and Royster is starting to step it up as well.

Carriker - Definitely bring him back. I think Jenkins will eventually land the starting job, but I wouldn't be in a rush to bring him back with that injury.

Golston - gone.

McIntosh - Probably gone, but we do need to start thinking about drafting some good young linebackers in the next few years.

Monty - He's been solid, not awesome, but solid. There's definitely an upgrade out there, but you bring him back most definitely.

Polumbus - He should be back.

Stallworth - Ever since the Redskins had to bring Stallworth back, he's really proven himself to be a valuable asset. I would definitely bring him back to at least push the younger guys next season.

Chico23231 12-19-2011 11:01 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;868956]So you're saying let Stallworth go? Bring one of the receivers you mentioned in to be a 1 or 2 and slide everyone down? Or bring one of those guys in to be a 3-5 WR?[/quote]

If you look at the free agent crop of WR, their are guys with number 1 status or better potential for a 1 than anyone on currently on the team. You go out this year to get a number 1 WR. Austin and Banks are done after this year. Hankerson, Moss, Gaffney, Solid free agent, Paul/or possible late round draft pick, are the 5 i see here next year. No room for Stallworth.

Lotus 12-19-2011 11:10 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;868956]So you're saying let Stallworth go? Bring one of the receivers you mentioned in to be a 1 or 2 and slide everyone down? Or bring one of those guys in to be a 3-5 WR?[/quote]

The way I see it, we need playmakers at WR. I would not be surprised or dismayed if we went 1-2 in the draft on a QB and WR. Thus the others get slid down, folks like Hankey step up, and thus Stallworth becomes dead wood.

SmootSmack 12-19-2011 11:11 AM

[quote=Chico23231;868960]If you look at the free agent crop of WR, their are guys with number 1 status or better potential for a 1 than anyone on currently on the team. You go out this year to get a number 1 WR. Austin and Banks are done after this year. Hankerson, Moss, Gaffney, Solid free agent, Paul/or possible late round draft pick, are the 5 i see here next year. No room for Stallworth.[/quote]

I couldn't have been more wrong about Austin. I certainly thought he'd be more of a factor this year. I suspect he and Armstrong may not be long for here. Banks I have no idea.

But put all those aside and you have Hankerson, Moss, Gaffney, and Paul let's say as your top 4.

Oh and there's also Anderson, but never mind him for now. And Aldrick Robinson

Ok so now you're saying there's no room for Stallworth because we could get a solid free agent or late round pick. Are we talking about just getting rid of Stallworth just to get rid of him then?

SmootSmack 12-19-2011 11:14 AM

[quote=Lotus;868962]The way I see it, we need playmakers at WR. I would not be surprised or dismayed if we went 1-2 in the draft on a QB and WR. Thus the others get slid down, folks like Hankey step up, and thus Stallworth becomes dead wood.[/quote]

I wouldn't be surprised to see us bring in a big time WR either. Just not sure if that pushes Stallworth out