Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Around the NFL: Super Bowl Thread (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=46350)

redskin29633 01-23-2012 01:07 PM

Around the NFL: Super Bowl Thread

The Redskins played the New York Football Giants on Sept 11th and Dec 18th of 2011. Happily, we all know that Washington won both games. The two games were not highlight reels for Eli Manning. In September, he was 18 of 32 for 268 yards and 1 int. He also fumbled once. In December, Manning went 23 of 40 for 257 yds, no tuchdowns and THREE ints!

Neither Manning performance reflects championship caliber that we have seen in the late season push by the Giants. Granted Eli has delivered when it counts, but he is capable of laying an egg, and even sometimes panics under a heavy rush. New England's defense is on the upswing, and IMHO, Manning is due for a bad game. My early impression, Patriots win by 14.

Redskin fans may want to chew on this tidbit as well. Game one, Grossman was 21 of 34 for 305 yds and 2 TDs; he also lost one fumble in the 28-14 Redskin win. In game two Sexy Rexy was 15 of 24 for 185 yds, 1 TD and 2 ints. You could fairly say that Rex outperformed Eli in both games.

GTripp0012 01-23-2012 01:10 PM

re: Around the NFL: Super Bowl Thread

Jim Haslett was a big reason we avoided going 3-13 this season.

sportscurmudgeon 01-23-2012 01:18 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;878107]Jim Haslett was a big reason we avoided going 3-13 this season.[/quote]

Damn that Haslett. If he had screwed up more, the Skins could have had the 3rd pick in the draft and not the 6th.

:joke:

skinsguy 01-23-2012 03:08 PM

You gotta throw all of that stuff out the window. That stuff is ancient history. The Giants have played the best I've seen them play in a long time, and taking out Atlanta, Green Bay, and San Fran is a pretty big feat to accomplish. The Patriots looked great against Denver, but they could have (and probably should have) easily lost yesterday. Brady looked like crap in my opinion. Nothing special about him yesterday. Honestly, I would not be surprised if the Giants beat them again.

Alvin Walton 01-23-2012 04:38 PM

Yes, the Giants looked good lately.
However the whole roster can suck the fuzzies outa my butt crack.

HTTR!

CrazyCanuck 01-23-2012 04:51 PM

[url=http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/52425/should-this-make-redskins-feel-good]Should this make Redskins feel good? - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN[/url]

"Given the Redskins’ victories over the Giants and how competitive they were against San Francisco and New England, how far away are they from the postseason?

Redskins fans have dealt with this very question often in recent years.

In 2008, it was the Arizona Cardinals and Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC Championship Game. The Redskins went 3-0 against those clubs in the regular season.

In 2009, the Redskins nearly defeated the eventual Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints in an early-December matchup at FedEx Field. They almost certainly would have won had then-kicker Shaun Suisham not missed a chip-shot field goal in the final minutes that would have secured the game for the Redskins.

And in 2010, the Redskins beat the eventual Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers 16-13 in a mid-October game at FedExField. They also defeated the Chicago Bears, the other NFC championship game participant, 17-10 at Soldier Field.

The point is this: even though the Redskins have played well against top-tier teams in the regular season, it has not translated to success the following season.

Every year is a new season. Simply put, the Redskins’ two victories over the Giants will mean nothing come next September."

skinsguy 01-23-2012 04:54 PM

[quote=CrazyCanuck;878188][url=http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/52425/should-this-make-redskins-feel-good]Should this make Redskins feel good? - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN[/url]

"Given the Redskins’ victories over the Giants and how competitive they were against San Francisco and New England, how far away are they from the postseason?

In 2008, it was the Arizona Cardinals and Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC Championship Game. The Redskins went 3-0 against those clubs in the regular season.

In 2009, the Redskins nearly defeated the eventual Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints in an early-December matchup at FedEx Field. They almost certainly would have won had then-kicker Shaun Suisham not missed a chip-shot field goal in the final minutes that would have secured the game for the Redskins.

And in 2010, the Redskins beat the eventual Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers 16-13 in a mid-October game at FedExField. They also defeated the Chicago Bears, the other NFC championship game participant, 17-10 at Soldier Field.

The point is this: even though the Redskins have played well against top-tier teams in the regular season, it has not translated to success the following season.

Every year is a new season. Simply put, the Redskins’ two victories over the Giants will mean nothing come next September."[/quote]

Pretty much hook line and sinker. I think also the other side of it is the Redskins seem to play up or down to their competition. They often struggle against teams that they should beat by more than two TDs, and play elite teams pretty tough. I think the first sign of a team turning the corner is to always beat those teams you should beat and then measure yourself against better competition. Right now, it doesn't mean much to go out and beat the Giants or the Patriots, and then lose to the Buffalo Bills in a blowout.

mlmdub130 01-23-2012 05:06 PM

[quote=skinsguy;878189]Pretty much hook line and sinker. I think also the other side of it is the Redskins seem to play up or down to their competition. They often struggle against teams that they should beat by more than two TDs, and play elite teams pretty tough. I think the first sign of a team turning the corner is to always beat those teams you should beat and then measure yourself against better competition. Right now, it doesn't mean much to go out and beat the Giants or the Patriots, and then lose to the Buffalo Bills in a blowout.[/quote]

Exactly! We always play up and down to our opponents which means one thing INCONSISTENT, until we play disciplined consistent football, we are who what we are, a bad football team.

44Deezel 01-23-2012 05:15 PM

Giants beat them down. The Pats are worse than they were in '09. I expect Brady to play like he did against the Ravens, and I don't expect the Giants to drop passes in the end zone or miss chip shot field goals.

44Deezel 01-23-2012 05:18 PM

[quote=skinsguy;878189]Pretty much hook line and sinker. I think also the other side of it is the Redskins seem to play up or down to their competition. They often struggle against teams that they should beat by more than two TDs, and play elite teams pretty tough. I think the first sign of a team turning the corner is to always beat those teams you should beat and then measure yourself against better competition. Right now, it doesn't mean much to go out and beat the Giants or the Patriots, and then lose to the Buffalo Bills in a blowout.[/quote]

I don't know how anyone can expect the Skins to beat any team by 2 TDs when they haven't broken 30 points in 80 some odd games. Most games are going to be close when you can't score.

44Deezel 01-23-2012 05:25 PM

[quote=CrazyCanuck;878188][url=http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/52425/should-this-make-redskins-feel-good]Should this make Redskins feel good? - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN[/url]

Every year is a new season. Simply put, the Redskins’ two victories over the Giants will mean nothing come next September."[/quote]

The Skins are a good QB, good to great WR and some O-line depth away from being able to compete with anyone. The RBs are solid, the TEs are a strength and the O line looks pretty good. The Defense is good.

If Rex was a 20TD 10INT guy, the Skins would have won a lot more games this year without adding any other parts. With 8 picks in the draft and money to spend in free agency, there's no reason not to be optimistic.

I like that the Skins are shaping up to be a well balanced team a la the Ravens, Giants and 49ers. I like that style vs. the pass-happy play we see from the Saints and Packers. Still gotta be able to run and play D in the playoffs.

Giantone 01-23-2012 05:40 PM

[quote=redskin29633;878105]The Redskins played the New York Football Giants on Sept 11th and Dec 18th of 2011. Happily, we all know that Washington won both games. The two games were not highlight reels for Eli Manning. In September, he was 18 of 32 for 268 yards and 1 int. He also fumbled once. In December, Manning went 23 of 40 for 257 yds, no tuchdowns and THREE ints!

Neither Manning performance reflects championship caliber that we have seen in the late season push by the Giants. Granted Eli has delivered when it counts, but he is capable of laying an egg, and even sometimes panics under a heavy rush. New England's defense is on the upswing, and IMHO, Manning is due for a bad game. My early impression, Patriots win by 14.

Redskin fans may want to chew on this tidbit as well. Game one, Grossman was 21 of 34 for 305 yds and 2 TDs; he also lost one fumble in the 28-14 Redskin win. In game two Sexy Rexy was 15 of 24 for 185 yds, 1 TD and 2 ints. You could fairly say that Rex outperformed Eli in both games.[/quote]

..wow...just wow.:doh::yeahright

sportscurmudgeon 01-23-2012 09:55 PM

[B]Every year is a new season. Simply put, the Redskins’ two victories over the Giants will mean nothing come next September.[/B]"[/quote]

Tru 'dat...

sportscurmudgeon 01-23-2012 10:00 PM

[quote=redskin29633;878105]The Redskins played the New York Football Giants on Sept 11th and Dec 18th of 2011. Happily, we all know that Washington won both games. The two games were not highlight reels for Eli Manning. In September, he was 18 of 32 for 268 yards and 1 int. He also fumbled once. In December, Manning went 23 of 40 for 257 yds, no tuchdowns and THREE ints!

Redskin fans may want to chew on this tidbit as well. Game one, Grossman was 21 of 34 for 305 yds and 2 TDs; he also lost one fumble in the 28-14 Redskin win. In game two Sexy Rexy was 15 of 24 for 185 yds, 1 TD and 2 ints. [B]You could fairly say that Rex outperformed Eli in both games[/B].[/quote]

For any Redskins' fans tempted to jump on this one, let me ask the bottom line question:

[INDENT][I]If you could have either Eli Manning or Rex Grossman starting as the QB for the Redskins in 2012, whom would you prefer?[/I][/INDENT]
Unless Eli Manning is decapitated in a horrific traffic incident in the off-season, there is no reason to think about the answer here for more than a microsecond...

Lotus 01-23-2012 10:34 PM

[quote=sportscurmudgeon;878279]For any Redskins' fans tempted to jump on this one, let me ask the bottom line question:

[INDENT][I]If you could have either Eli Manning or Rex Grossman starting as the QB for the Redskins in 2012, whom would you prefer?[/I][/INDENT]
[B]Unless Eli Manning is decapitated in a horrific traffic incident in the off-season, there is no reason to think about the answer here for more than a microsecond...[/B][/quote]

Headless Eli would turn the ball over less than Wrecks.