Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Arena Football (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=4642)

SmootSmack 01-30-2005 12:55 PM

Arena Football

Anyone else getting their pigskin fix with some arena football today?

I'm watching Jon Bon Jovi's Philadelphia Soul versus the Austin Wranglers. Former Redskin lineman Donovan Arp has an INT for the Soul.

Skins fan 44 01-30-2005 03:51 PM

I try but always end up switching the channel. I am sure I would get into it more if I went to a live event. When is Washington going to get there team? I think I could be a big fan of them.

Gmanc711 01-30-2005 04:58 PM

[QUOTE=Skins fan 44]I try but always end up switching the channel. I am sure I would get into it more if I went to a live event. When is Washington going to get there team? I think I could be a big fan of them.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way. I always "want" to check it out, but there is always a better alternative for me, right now College Hoops. I think Arena ball as a business is on the right track, but they still need to find a way to hook regular football fans that are on the edge of watching and not, like us.

SmootSmack 01-30-2005 05:09 PM

I've been the same today. After the first quarter I've been watching off and on, a few drives here and there. But that's enough to quench my football thirst

Seems like it would be a blast to watch live

sportscurmudgeon 01-30-2005 09:46 PM

smootsmack:

Arena Football is a good spectator game with one exception:

The league has obviously made a conscious decision that its game is insufficient to provide entertainment for the fans. So, you will be bombarded with music, flashing lights, roving cameras in the stands and every imaginable distraction on Earth. When the people who are orchestrating the show just shut the hell up and let the game happen, Arena Football is very interesting and very entertaining. :cool-smil

If you ever go to a game and it's quiet, you'll know that I have found a way to take over the controls of the sound and light show...

Daseal 01-30-2005 09:51 PM

Any league with a 1 armed kicker is okay by me. Especially when he tackles someone with his bad shoulder!

SmootSmack 01-30-2005 09:58 PM

[QUOTE=sportscurmudgeon]smootsmack:

Arena Football is a good spectator game with one exception:

The league has obviously made a conscious decision that its game is insufficient to provide entertainment for the fans. So, you will be bombarded with music, flashing lights, roving cameras in the stands and every imaginable distraction on Earth. When the people who are orchestrating the show just shut the hell up and let the game happen, Arena Football is very interesting and very entertaining. :cool-smil

If you ever go to a game and it's quiet, you'll know that I have found a way to take over the controls of the sound and light show...[/QUOTE]

I thought it was pretty wild today with about 15 seconds left in the game and one team (can't remember who) down 3, the head coach stopped to answer a few questions the sideline reporter had for him. Just discussing his game plan for the upcoming drive. And they were literally standing on the field, albeit against the wall, while both teams were in the huddle.

Skins fan 44 01-30-2005 10:13 PM

I watched the Dallas and Chicago game which was good. Unfortunely Dallas won the game in overtime. I was at work and I bet someone I work with, so it gave me more incentive to watch.

aehs77 01-31-2005 02:28 AM

I remember a couple years ago hearing dan snyder bought the rights to an arena team in washington. what happened with that

BDBohnzie 01-31-2005 02:50 PM

Snyder does own the rights to an Arena League team...and the name Washington Warriors. From a 2002 article on cnnsi.com, [url=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/news/2002/03/05/nbc_arena_ap/]he was supposed to bring a team into play last year...[/url]

however, he has yet to find a facility to accomodiate him. there are too many conflicts at the MCI Center (between the Wizards, Hoyas, and Capitals [if they come back] already playing there on weekends) for them to play there. the cap centre was torn down...and the college arenas look down upon alcohol sales at their arenas, plus have to contend with men's and women's college basketball among other sports on weekends. he'd have to cough up money for an arena, and that's just not cost efficient for a team that may or may not thrive in the area. it's done extremely well in mid-market areas, as well as the major markets it's in now.

i am told that it's 100x better live than on TV...it's interesting for its different aspects. there are a few rules i dont agree with (there should be no out of bounds, unless you are tossed into the stands...tackle or TD should end a play), but overall it's decent. and the prices are supposed to be family friendly...

TheMalcolmConnection 01-31-2005 02:55 PM

Tossed into the stands OR smashed through the walls...

redrock-skins 01-31-2005 08:59 PM

I had season tickets in Vegas 2 years ago. It has to be watched live. It sucks on TV, but is very entertaining when you're at the arena. It is what it is and will never be confused with the NFL, but these guys love playing the game and the league is very fan friendly. I have friends in Vegas who last year, had players coming out to their tailgate party after the game and hooking them up with tickets and just hanging out.

SKINSnCANES 02-01-2005 01:31 AM

what type of football? when i was at the cowboys game in dallas they kept announcing ways to but tickets to some football team. I had no idea what the hell was going on until someone said something about arena football.

SmootSmack 02-01-2005 01:34 AM

[QUOTE=SKINSnCANES]what type of football? when i was at the cowboys game in dallas they kept announcing ways to but tickets to some football team. I had no idea what the hell was going on until someone said something about arena football.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean "what type of football"?

SKINSnCANES 02-01-2005 01:36 AM

lol, the nfl is the only type of football i know. Everythign else should have a different name, you know, like soccer. damn europeans and latins are messing up the balance in the universe