Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   NFL Draft Central (http://www.thewarpath.net/nfl-draft-central/)
-   -   How Scouting College Players Has Evolved Under Shanahan (http://www.thewarpath.net/nfl-draft-central/46437-how-scouting-college-players-has-evolved.html)

SmootSmack 01-30-2012 11:13 AM

How Scouting College Players Has Evolved Under Shanahan

Good read here.

[url=http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jan/29/with-redskins-since-01-scott-campbell-has-earned-m/?page=1]Redskins' Campbell has earned merit badge in scouting - Washington Times[/url]

Nice to see Campbell and his team get validation and respect. I mean I believe we've talked about this before, but there was so much distrust, insecurity, and "we're just going to do it my way" when Cerrato was running things that the culture change is refreshing.

GridIron26 01-30-2012 11:26 AM

Re: How Scouting College Players Has Evolved Under Shanahan

It is definitely really nice to see this.

Mattyk 01-30-2012 11:43 AM

Good read

GTripp0012 01-30-2012 12:04 PM

Good insight into the learning curve of the scouting biz.

Schneed10 01-30-2012 12:41 PM

I like to hear that the organization is communicating with one another so well. We're a ways away but with the culture changing, at least there's hope.

Mattyk 01-30-2012 01:00 PM

Kinda shows just how much change was really needed in this organization from top to bottom.

Hog1 01-30-2012 02:15 PM

LOVE this administration......

NYCskinfan82 01-30-2012 02:52 PM

Good read, have alot of confidence in our FO. HTTR.

That Guy 01-30-2012 03:12 PM

I'd have a lot more faith in our FO if we weren't picking in the top 10 so often...

GTripp0012 01-30-2012 03:15 PM

At the end of the day, they've pretty much been the same guys for the last five years or so. If they're a good front office now, then they were a good front office before.

Evilgrin 01-30-2012 03:22 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;880236]At the end of the day, they've pretty much been the same guys for the last five years or so. If they're a good front office now, then they were a good front office before.[/quote]

Yeah, but they didn't follow the chain of command prior to Shanahan. Also, if these guys make recommendations on picks, and the guy making the picks doesn't listen.

artmonkforhallofamein07 01-30-2012 03:26 PM

Can you explain that statement a little more Gtripp?

I don't follow you. This is year three for the current FO at Redskins Park. And even though the scouting department has not changed as far as personnel there have been signifigant changes in the way the information is used.

GTripp0012 01-30-2012 03:46 PM

[quote=artmonkforhallofamein07;880240]Can you explain that statement a little more Gtripp?

I don't follow you. This is year three for the current FO at Redskins Park. And even though the scouting department has not changed as far as personnel there have been signifigant changes in the way the information is used.[/quote]I think they've been doing stuff differently, but we're talking about the same guys here.

Scott Campbell and Morocco Brown are well-respected personnel guys, but they were well-respected personnel guys when Cerrato called the shots. It's the same guys, the same front office. Having a different way of doing things can be refreshing, or it can just be a different means to the same end.

If people are waiting for me to rip Scott Campbell for peeling back the curtain a bit as to how the Redskins run things now as opposed to before, that's just not someplace I'm going to go. The Redskins draft record under Cerrato in the first couple of rounds always suggested our scouts were as thorough as anyone elses.

I don't deny that it's still the case, and I'm glad Rich Campbell was able to give us a little bit of a look at the Redskins front office. But it's the same front office. It really is. It's year, what, six? Seven? Eight? It's clear to me Shanahan has changed a couple things here and there since mid-season when the heat got turned up on him, but the only thing we can do hoping that things are better now is to wait for it and hope. Because things clearly are not changing before the 2012 draft: we're sticking with the current course for one more year.

There is no alternative for the fans to passively hoping that they're getting it right.

SmootSmack 01-30-2012 03:58 PM

There are different scouts, but that's not all that uncommon.

Scott's work fell on deaf ears under the past regime. If it hadn't, we would have taken Jordy Nelson instead of Devin Thomas and not taken Malcolm Kelly.

There's much more collaboration now, ultimately it's Mike Shanahan's call. But the open dialogue is positive.

NC_Skins 01-30-2012 04:01 PM

Awesome read and thanks for sharing!

Man it feels great to have a credible guy at the helm.