Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How the 49ers/Texans changed my view on Football and how to build the redskins (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=46515)

skinster 02-04-2012 01:01 PM

How the 49ers/Texans changed my view on Football and how to build the redskins

Before the past few weeks, I thought that offense (specifically a franchise qb) was really the only way to win in the nfl today. I'm not so sure how sustainable the 49ers team will be with having to retain their free agents an whatnot, but I believe that they were clearly the best team in the nfl this year. They dominated the giants, and if not for TWO crucial mistakes by their backup punt-returner, I believe they would have won.

The Texans (with schaub) and the 49ers I believe were the best two teams in the nfl this year, with consistently great defense and consistently good offense, running the ball.

I'm going to ignore talking about the afc, because I dont think they had any really good teams this year, and the patriots had a relatively easy schedule to the superbowl. Brady played like junk, the pats turned the ball over 3 times, the pats D looked atrocious, and they still won against the Ravens. That is more of a swipe at the Ravens then a compliment to the pats. And the Broncos wasn't really even a real game.

It seems like teams with great pressure due to talent as opposed to scheme were the dominant ones this year. The Giants have their JPP, Osi, Tuck, Canty, and Kiwanuka. The 49ers Front 3 had amazing push every play against the Giants, and don't even get me started on their linebackers. The texans Front 7 with JJ watt looked great. It really seemed to me like My top 3 teams this year (when healthy), were the 49ers, Giants, and Texans. I didn't see teams that were able to defeat their dominating pressure (when they performed well). All these teams also have great O-lines, and above average secondariness. This seems to be an good formula in todays NFL.

Our offense is not going to be elite anytime soon, but can get up to the 49ers/Texans level if we get a good O-linemen, and a good QB in FA (Flynn and Myers I'm thinking...I'd also like Terrell Thomas but that is a backup option). I think focusing on our defense in this draft, and offense in Free Agency could be a great route to go. Quinton Coples at DE to get a great push with our 6th pick, and Some ILB or CB with our second pick. Our Front 7 is solid by the numbers, but I think that had more to do with scheme than talent. I rarely saw a good rush from 4 guys....it seemed most sacks came from 6 man pressures. And I just don't think our Corners are adequate to be considered to be above average. It would also be nice to get a thumper in the middle of our D.

Just another option I see. Granted it would be hard to pull off, considering we are not the only bidders and there is a salary cap. I used to be sold on franchise qb or bust, but now I'm thinking adequate QB, with good O-line, with great front 7, and an above average secondary could be another formula. I also think its more of a "win now" formula as opposed to what I previously thought where we would need to groom a qb. Adequate everywhere is not good enough. We need dominance somewhere on our team. It seems to me like the front 7 is the best way to go in that department.

EARTHQUAKE2689 02-04-2012 01:07 PM

Re: How the 49ers/Texans changed my view on Football and how to build the redskins

Is it wrong I thought this was a RexKelly thread?

Hog1 02-04-2012 01:11 PM

Re: How the 49ers/Texans changed my view on Football and how to build the redskins

YOU can find out..
.....Check My [COLOR="Red"]BLOG[/COLOR]

MTK 02-04-2012 01:11 PM

check my blog yo

EARTHQUAKE2689 02-04-2012 01:16 PM

Where would Couples play in your scenario? Fact is a franchise QB is necessary case in point two of them are in the SB. Last time there were no franchise QBs in the SB was 2002.

2003- Brady vs. Delhomme
2004- Brady vs. McNabb
2005- Roethlisberger vs. Hasselbeck
2006- P Manning vs. Grossman
2007- E. Manning vs. Brady
2008- Roethlisberger vs. Warner
2009- P. Manning vs. Brees
2010- Rodgers vs. Roethlisberger
2011- E. Manning vs. Brady
2012- EARTHQUAKE2689 vs. SmootSmack

Franchise QB the way to go. Also, the Packers were the best team in the regular season.

EARTHQUAKE2689 02-04-2012 01:17 PM

[quote=Mattyk;881852]check my blog yo[/quote]

Isn't this obvious internet message board a blog too? LOL

TheMalcolmConnection 02-04-2012 01:42 PM

Blogs? Rookie stuff.

Now if you really want to know where to post, I'll tell you.

ARE YOU READY?!

[SIZE=7]I DON'T THINK YOU'RE READY YET!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

Lotus 02-04-2012 01:55 PM

RIP RexKelly.

Skinster, I think your original intuition about the need for a big-time QB was the correct one.

Certainly a defense which brings strong pressure from the front seven is important, too, as you indicate. And a running game is always helpful. But to me the 2011 Colts are a case in point that you have to have a big-time signal caller. Your examples of the 49ers and Texans are good. But don't forget that both of those teams had QB's who played like big-time QB's at least temporarily, whether those QB's are really big-time in the long run or not.

TheMalcolmConnection 02-04-2012 02:01 PM

Have to say, when I saw the Texans draft, I was like, "ZOMG!!!11 If these guys work out, their defense is going to be nasty." I think they were the least talked about elite defense in the league this year.

TheMalcolmConnection 02-04-2012 02:06 PM

Speaking of the Texans, that just reminds me that one thing that depresses me a ton is our lack of Victor Cruzes and Arian Fosters. I think our draft strategy has gotten a lot better, but rather than getting a role player late in the draft, when do we finally get an above average starter in the late rounds?

I get so jealous when I look at the value other teams have gotten in undrafted or late round picks. My hate for Tony Romo is well-documented, but he's been to the Pro Bowl after being an undrafted guy. The Cowboys didn't have to spend a 1st round pick praying that they didn't miss.

I just want that to be us, just once, then I can be satisfied for the next few years.

EARTHQUAKE2689 02-04-2012 02:16 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;881877]Speaking of the Texans, that just reminds me that one thing that depresses me a ton is our lack of Victor Cruzes and Arian Fosters. I think our draft strategy has gotten a lot better, but rather than getting a role player late in the draft, when do we finally get an above average starter in the late rounds?

I get so jealous when I look at the value other teams have gotten in undrafted or late round picks. My hate for Tony Romo is well-documented, but he's been to the Pro Bowl after being an undrafted guy. The Cowboys didn't have to spend a 1st round pick praying that they didn't miss.

I just want that to be us, just once, then I can be satisfied for the next few years.[/quote]

On the flip side we are sure to have a team break a team record against us.

TheMalcolmConnection 02-04-2012 02:20 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;881886]On the flip side we are sure to have a team break a team record against us.[/quote]

HA, nice memory of 90% of my posts in the game threads. :(

CultBrennan59 02-04-2012 02:21 PM

The key to winning in the NFL is having a great pass rush/DL, Good OL, and Good QB. WR's RBs aren't as crucial as your QB is.

EARTHQUAKE2689 02-04-2012 02:24 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;881887]HA, nice memory of 90% of my posts in the game threads. :([/quote]

Just like you I loved watching those every week.

TheMalcolmConnection 02-04-2012 02:33 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;881889]Just like you I loved watching those every week.[/quote]

So true though. I think the one thing that we need and the Skins can't draft, even with trading 10 1st round picks is simply some dumb luck.

I remember reading this article a few weeks ago about how the Skins don't even get the benefit of the law of averages. We recovered around 20% of lost fumbles when almost all teams average about 40-50%. How many times have we seen Tony Romo fumble a ball that bounces directly back into his hand to throw a pass for a first down?

If Grossman did that, the other team would recover the ball, run for a touchdown with it, spike it and the resulting tremor from said spike would kill Grossman's dog.