Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is Mike Wallace worth the 6th pick? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=46712)

diehardskin2982 02-22-2012 08:51 PM

Is Mike Wallace worth the 6th pick?

I know many of you have read this article about the possibility of Mike Wallace being available for a 1st round pick as a RFA

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/22/mike-wallace-i-want-to-stay-in-pittsburgh-but-its-a-business/]Mike Wallace: I want to stay in Pittsburgh, but it’s a business | ProFootballTalk[/url]

Let's say we go for the 2nd round QB and sign a vetran like PM, Orton or other. Would you be willing to forfiet the 6th pick for Mike Wallace.

Let's take RGIII and Luck off the table for a second.

Wallace has blazing speed and is true number 1. Here are his stats over his career.

[url=http://www.nfl.com/player/mikewallace/2507763/profile]Mike Wallace, WR for the Pittsburgh Steelers at NFL.com[/url]

only 25 year old. Discuss...

mooby 02-22-2012 09:00 PM

Re: Is Mike Wallace worth the 6th pick?

No. He may stretch the field, but 6th overall pick worthy? No. I'd give up a second for him, or a late first. I'd give up anything 25th overall or later, but 6th overall? No.

diehard 02-22-2012 09:01 PM

[quote=mooby;887920]No. He may stretch the field, but 6th overall pick worthy? No. I'd give up a second for him, or a late first. I'd give up anything 25th overall or later, but 6th overall? No.[/quote]

Is Blackmon worth the 6th pick overall? This is why I hope he runs a fast forty. The Skins options may be limited if he doesn't.

mooby 02-22-2012 09:09 PM

[quote=diehard;887922]Is Blackmon worth the 6th pick overall?[/quote]

Yes. My reasoning is this:

1. He's younger than Wallace. Granted, 25 is not that old, but I'd rather have Blackmon. 22 > 25.

2. Blackmon is the kind of big bodied receiver who I can see making all the catches; short, intermediate, deep, sideline, ins, outs, etc. He's not the burner Wallace is, but I feel like that's the primary thing Wallace has going for him. They are both relatively same height, but I feel like Blackmon would have a better shot in a jump ball scenario due to being able to use his weight to box out defenders.

Long story short they are both great in their own right, but I prefer Blackmon. And the 6th pick, while not a top 5 pick, is still worth plenty and you have a lot more options with it. I just think the 6th overall pick would be a ransom for the Steelers.

skinsfaninok 02-22-2012 09:09 PM

Is this real?

diehardskin2982 02-22-2012 09:09 PM

Think about it would you spend a 6th pick on an unproven talent or a player who has had 3200 yards in his first three years in the league.

Lotus 02-22-2012 09:10 PM

I'm with mooby. Although Wallace is the field stretcher that we need at wideout, he is not worth the #6 pick.

Ruhskins 02-22-2012 09:15 PM

Is this topic worth its own thread? No offense, but there's already a FA WR thread.

And my answer is no, Wallace is not worth the #6 pick.

diehard 02-22-2012 09:21 PM

[quote=Lotus;887927]I'm with mooby. Although Wallace is the field stretcher that we need at wideout, he is not worth the #6 pick.[/quote]

True, PIT would then in turn use the pick on Blackmon anyway...

GTripp0012 02-22-2012 09:21 PM

Is he worth just the sixth pick? Sure. Is he worth the sixth pick and the huge salary it would cost to pry him from the Steelers. He'd have to be the second coming of Rice to be worth both those things.

For the Browns, Ravens, and Bengals though, the added value of prying him from a division rival might be enough to make the price tag worth it.

diehardskin2982 02-22-2012 09:23 PM

Just a fun discussion in the offseason... in the free agent thread there is no real mention of Wallace. I was just thinking Wallace is a legit proven NFL 1000 yard reciever, young, blazing speed TD Machine.

diehardskin2982 02-22-2012 09:26 PM

okay let say a sign in trade for the second round pick?

MTK 02-22-2012 09:31 PM

I like him but definitely not for #6 overall.

NC_Skins 02-22-2012 09:32 PM

Hell to the NO. Absolutely not. You crazy? Nope. Zilch.

That about sums it up.

Dirtbag59 02-22-2012 09:35 PM

Who's going to throw him the ball?

skinsfaninok 02-22-2012 09:43 PM

[quote=diehardskin2982;887940]okay let say a sign in trade for the second round pick?[/quote]
yes

44Deezel 02-22-2012 09:46 PM

No to Wallace and no to Blackmon with the #6 pick. Good WRs can be had anywhere. Shut down Corners on the other hand;)

NYCskinfan82 02-22-2012 09:59 PM

You mean #6 pick plus a LARGE contract, I think not, even if we trade back I still say NO.

diehard 02-22-2012 10:26 PM

[quote=Dirtbag59;887945]Who's going to throw him the ball?[/quote]

Who else? Manning. Team might as well break the bank.

Kindoy 02-22-2012 10:29 PM

[quote=mooby;887924]Yes. My reasoning is this:

1. He's younger than Wallace. Granted, 25 is not that old, but I'd rather have Blackmon. [B]22 > 25[/B].

2. Blackmon is the kind of big bodied receiver who I can see making all the catches; short, intermediate, deep, sideline, ins, outs, etc. He's not the burner Wallace is, but I feel like that's the primary thing Wallace has going for him. They are both relatively same height, but I feel like Blackmon would have a better shot in a jump ball scenario due to being able to use his weight to box out defenders.

Long story short they are both great in their own right, but I prefer Blackmon. And the 6th pick, while not a top 5 pick, is still worth plenty and you have a lot more options with it. I just think the 6th overall pick would be a ransom for the Steelers.[/quote]

My math teacher was lying to me all along...

SFREDSKIN 02-22-2012 10:33 PM

[size="7"]nope[b][/b][/size]

SmootSmack 02-22-2012 10:40 PM

Good question, but I would probably say no.

los panda 02-22-2012 11:58 PM

i would trade the 6th pick for aaron rodgers, not mike wallace

tryfuhl 02-23-2012 12:09 AM

Hell no.

CultBrennan59 02-23-2012 01:15 AM

At first I was just going to a say a flat out 'NO!'. But after reading your points that you made about that he's proven, very fast and is the down field threat we need, and is a top 10 NFL WR, well now I'd have to say 'no'.

SirClintonPortis 02-23-2012 02:50 AM

Yes. He's a dynamic player who is still young and does not have the "could very likely fail" label rookies-to-be-have. His returns are what you would expect AND want out of a top 6 pick.

SkinItup 02-23-2012 02:58 AM

[quote=mooby;887924]Yes. My reasoning is this:

1. He's younger than Wallace. Granted, 25 is not that old, but I'd rather have Blackmon. 22 > 25.

Long story short they are both great in their own right, but I prefer Blackmon. And the 6th pick, while not a top 5 pick, is still worth plenty and you have a lot more options with it. I just think the 6th overall pick would be a ransom for the Steelers.[/quote]

Wallace maybe best down the field but he certainly can run all the routes. blackmon I would say has better hands and is more physical.

I certainly think if we are choosing between Blackmon and Wallace, Wallace should have a serious look. Blackmon could be a bust. Wallace we know can succeed in the NFL. But this isn't the case, so no we can do alot of things with that pick giving it up should be one of them. We need to build for the future, not spend to win now.

SirClintonPortis 02-23-2012 03:23 AM

[quote=SkinItup;888011]Wallace maybe best down the field but he certainly can run all the routes. blackmon I would say has better hands and is more physical.

I certainly think if we are choosing between Blackmon and Wallace, Wallace should have a serious look. Blackmon could be a bust. Wallace we know can succeed in the NFL. But this isn't the case, so no we can do alot of things with that pick giving it up should be one of them. We need to build for the future, not spend to win now.[/quote]

Picks are always given on a player regardless if the player was acquired through the draft or through other means, so "giving up" a pick is not really an argument against getting Wallace. What really matters comparing him with all the qualities of the other potential players you could possibly get with that pick. "Drafting" Mike Wallace with the 6th overall pick is an alternative, and a viable one, IMO.

That Guy 02-23-2012 04:00 AM

for a 3 yes, for a 1 no. no no no.

Alvin Walton 02-23-2012 07:21 AM

Zero picks.
If he's a FA...fine.
The sixth pick needs to be used in whatever fashion to get us a proper ball chucker for the next decade.

Higskin 02-23-2012 07:48 AM

He's certainly worth a look if Skins are considering a WR at #6 anyway.

[url=http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5329/mike-wallace]Mike Wallace - Pittsburgh Steelers - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com[/url]

Restricted free agent Mike Wallace says contract talks are "ongoing" with the Steelers, but conceded Wednesday that he may not return to Pittsburgh due to the team's salary cap situation."[Pittsburgh is] where I would like to be, but we all know that it is a business," said Wallace. "... So if I have to go elsewhere, you know Pittsburgh will always be in my heart, but I have to do what I have to do." The Steelers are trying to sign Wallace to a long-term deal in order to avoid extending him a first-round tender. He is not expected to be franchise tagged. Feb 22 - 3:44 PM

Chico23231 02-23-2012 08:25 AM

If we had multiple first round picks, then i would send a mid to late rounder for him no question. Top 10 pick? No, I would only use a 6th as a barginning chip for a QB.

skinsfan69 02-23-2012 09:02 AM

No!!!!!!!!! Hopefully this is the old way that the Redskins did business. I say we get a QB and some o-linemen before we start chasing free agent wr's. However, Wallace would look real good in a New England uniform and he's just what they need. I see New England making a play for him.

#56fanatic 02-23-2012 09:24 AM

Absolutely not. He has complimentary receivers in Pittsburg, a good TE, a QB that holds the ball way too long to find him running around down field. No idea if Wallace can be a #1 WR, which if you give up a #6 pick, that is what you are going to have to pay him too. Remember the last complimentary WR we got from Pittsburg and tried to make him a #2,(not even a #1) that didn't work out too well.

Ruhskins 02-23-2012 09:34 AM

[quote=Chico23231;888034]If we had multiple first round picks, then i would send a mid to late rounder for him no question. Top 10 pick? No, I would only use a 6th as a barginning chip for a QB.[/quote]

Cleveland does and they are in desperate need for a WR.

celts32 02-23-2012 09:46 AM

[quote=diehardskin2982;887918]I know many of you have read this article about the possibility of Mike Wallace being available for a 1st round pick as a RFA

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/22/mike-wallace-i-want-to-stay-in-pittsburgh-but-its-a-business/]Mike Wallace: I want to stay in Pittsburgh, but it’s a business | ProFootballTalk[/url]

Let's say we go for the 2nd round QB and sign a vetran like PM, Orton or other. Would you be willing to forfiet the 6th pick for Mike Wallace.

Let's take RGIII and Luck off the table for a second.

Wallace has blazing speed and is true number 1. Here are his stats over his career.

[url=http://www.nfl.com/player/mikewallace/2507763/profile]Mike Wallace, WR for the Pittsburgh Steelers at NFL.com[/url]

only 25 year old. Discuss...[/quote]

Absolutely not.

Chico23231 02-23-2012 09:48 AM

Mike Wallace is a proven talent and still young. And he gives what we lack the most, speed and big play weapon at WR position. Much much less roll of the dice with the much older and 1 strike away V Jax, the non clutch, head case Stevie Johnson, the head case, inconsistent D Jax or the multiple knee surgury Colston. Mike Wallace a tier above these guys imo

Ruhskins 02-23-2012 09:58 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that the "Stevie Johnson is a head case" comments are too much? I mean the guy made two stupid TD celebrations last season...other than that, what has he done anything else to be labeled a head case? I'm sorry but to me a head case is TO/Randy Moss in their troublesome primes.

Son Of Man 02-23-2012 09:59 AM

Just to add my two cents....N - O.

MTK 02-23-2012 11:10 AM

[quote=Ruhskins;888078]Am I the only one who thinks that the "Stevie Johnson is a head case" comments are too much? I mean the guy made two stupid TD celebrations last season...other than that, what has he done anything else to be labeled a head case? I'm sorry but to me a head case is TO/Randy Moss in their troublesome primes.[/quote]

I'd say he has some maturity issues to work on. Head case is definitely over the top.