Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cap Analysis - Chill It, Skillet (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=46960)

Schneed10 03-12-2012 08:41 PM

Re: Cap Analysis - Chill It, Skillet

[quote=CapitalDefense;896580]No, no, no but you can't get your franchise QB and not protect him or give him somebody to throw it to. You currently have no star ILB nor a single starting safety.[/quote]

My outline in this thread includes a solid contract to retain Fletcher. And the point of this is to show that the team can create the space to upgrade at safety and on the offensive line, if they really want to.

CrazyCanuck 03-12-2012 09:26 PM

Welcome back Schneed you are a true cap brother. :grouphug:

I'm not yet ready to factor in the BS cap charge, especially given the Skins' reaction.

I did an update with Sellers and Atogwe. I had Atogwe's deadcap hit at $400K on my latest sheets, but upon further review I think it is actually zero. This coincides with Rotoworld and I expect PCinOZ to have the same when he updates.

I currently have us at $39.2M cap room.

NYCskinfan82 03-12-2012 09:44 PM

Good stuff thanks for talking me down of the ledge.

Schneed10 03-12-2012 09:50 PM

[quote=CrazyCanuck;896637]Welcome back Schneed you are a true cap brother. :grouphug:

I'm not yet ready to factor in the BS cap charge, especially given the Skins' reaction.

I did an update with Sellers and Atogwe. I had Atogwe's deadcap hit at $400K on my latest sheets, but upon further review I think it is actually zero. This coincides with Rotoworld and I expect PCinOZ to have the same when he updates.

I currently have us at $39.2M cap room.[/quote]

Thanks. I think you're smart to leave the adjustment out of the equation, because reading the tea leaves, it's clear that the Cowboys and Redskins talked and are forming a united front against the NFL on this one. They both issued nearly identical statements at the same time. I think they'll fight this adjustment tooth and nail. I wouldn't put it past the 'Skins to approach free agency as if this isn't even happening, and count on the lawyers to make it go away later.

mlmdub130 03-12-2012 10:01 PM

[quote=Schneed10;896563][B]Besides, I didn't want a mass spending spree anyway. I want a big name WR and some safety help, that's about it. Otherwise, I want Allen and Shanahan to continue building talent through the draft[/B].

Trying to transform the team with an overnight spending spree is how we've gotten into trouble in years past. I think the media overstates Shanahan's need to produce a winner in the third year of his contract, I think Snyder still has his back even if he goes 6-10 this year.

But honestly, I think winning record is more than attainable just through the addition of Robert Griffin, the rest of the draft class, a big name WR, and most importantly - HEALTH.

A spending spree just isn't wise, anyway. Philadelphia Eagles circa 2011, anyone?[/quote]

could not agree more with this statment.

thanks for the op, very helpful, and i agree on 99% of your moves as well

mooby 03-12-2012 10:08 PM

Nice to see cooler heads prevailing on here. Great update Schneed, and thanks for clarifying everything in an easy to read manner.

alpineONE 03-12-2012 10:18 PM

I still feel sick

Hog1 03-12-2012 10:33 PM

[quote=Schneed10;896673]Thanks. I think you're smart to leave the adjustment out of the equation, because reading the tea leaves, it's clear that the Cowboys and Redskins talked and are forming a united front against the NFL on this one. They both issued nearly identical statements at the same time. I think they'll fight this adjustment tooth and nail. I wouldn't put it past the 'Skins to approach free agency as if this isn't even happening, and count on the lawyers to make it go away later.[/quote]
You and CC need to "get a room".
.....with a calculator
....and access to Excel

KI Skins Fan 03-13-2012 12:14 AM

[quote=cpayne5;896582]They probably overnight FedEx'd it. That's how the send suspension and fine notices to players, I believe. Such crap by the league, if true; 24 hours before free agency.[/quote]

If you're right about the overnight Fedex, then that would mean that the Skins and Cowboys will be notified that they have been penalized sometime on the [U]same day[/U] that FA starts. What a mean-spirited kick in the teeth that is!

Well, Roger Goodell and the owners who pushed for these penalties have picked a fight with two men and two franchises who are formidable enough when they stand alone. Now, it looks like the Skins and the Cowboys are going to fight this together.

For one thing, I don't believe for a second that there weren't a number of deals made during the uncapped year by teams other than the four teams that were penalized that violated the so-called "gentlemen's agreement" but were conveniently overlooked. Not only is the timing of these penalties unfair but I think that the penalties may have been selectively assessed against the "worst" offenders.

Another thing that this action does is to highlight possible collusion among NFL owners. That's because the NFL is apparently trying to punish franchises that did not collude with the others. Congress might be interested in that.

If the NFL doesn't back off, I think that blood will flow before this is over.

GTripp0012 03-13-2012 12:16 AM

[quote=Schneed10;896673]Thanks. I think you're smart to leave the adjustment out of the equation, because reading the tea leaves, it's clear that the Cowboys and Redskins talked and are forming a united front against the NFL on this one. They both issued nearly identical statements at the same time. I think they'll fight this adjustment tooth and nail. I wouldn't put it past the 'Skins to approach free agency as if this isn't even happening, and count on the lawyers to make it go away later.[/quote]That and a bottom line calculation won't be necessary until 2013, since we're free to pay off as much as we want this year.

steveo395 03-13-2012 12:21 AM

I just thought of something. Since you can now roll over cap space from year to year, we can literally put the entire $36 million onto next year, while we go through with a law suit or whatever we are going to do. Then, say we end up with about $15-20 million in cap space after free agency and the draft (as long as we don't go too crazy), we can roll all of that over into next year. So it will still basically be splitting the money 50-50 each year in a worst case scenario. Best case is we win the law suit and keep all the money for ourselves.

Dirtbag59 03-13-2012 12:25 AM

[quote=Hog1;896715]You and CC need to "get a room".
.....with a calculator
....and access to Excel[/quote]

Lol, don't forget Quickbooks :D

Seriously though you guys do great work. If I had to put together those numbers, man I think I might end up with a stroke.

Dirtbag59 03-13-2012 03:19 PM

Why no Trent Williams restructure. From what I can see he's on the books for $12 million with a $1 million release fee. Thats an awful lot of base salary that could be converted into a bonus.

mooby 03-13-2012 03:22 PM

[quote=Dirtbag59;897381]Why no Trent Williams restructure. From what I can see he's on the books for $12 million with a $1 million release fee. Thats an awful lot of base salary that could be converted into a bonus.[/quote]

Excellent question. They should definitely explore that option, especially with his questionable future and all.

12thMan 03-13-2012 03:34 PM

Schneed, on Monty's deal -- there was no signing bonus involved with his new contract, 4 years/ $12mil. So it'll be interesting to see if they restructure and now offer him some guaranteed money?