Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How will our defense hold up next year? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=47021)

The Goat 08-15-2012 05:47 PM

Re: How will our defense hold up next year?

[quote=Lotus;931001]Yup. The rumor was that he was floated in the Gryphon trade.[/quote]

Ahhh that's right.

I don't think anyone here should be "scared" to suggest anything really, but certainly not something the FO evidently considered already.

That said I hate the idea of giving up on Orakpo...still hoping he can achieve elite status.

HailGreen28 08-15-2012 07:24 PM

[quote=Mechanix544;930930]I definitely think that we should draft a safety in the first round next year.

wait a second. Nevermind, I meant the year after that.

oh, wait, I meant the year after that. They are saying that the 2015 Safety draft class is shaping up to be a once in a generation draft class at that position.[/quote]Lol. Losing those next two first rounders is going to hurt. Though [B][U]if[/U][/B] Griffin is the next great QB it will have been worth it, IMO.

On another note, I'm shocked that Orakpo was part of the trade discussion. I think Rak's actually an underrated part of our D.

Lotus or anybody, what might the Griffin trade have been if Rak was involved?

Lotus or anybody, as the original deal was the Rams 2012 1st in exchange for our 2012 1st, our 2012 2nd, 2013 1st, and 2014 1st. Would this trade have been better for us instead? The Rams 2012 1st in exchange for our 2012 1st, our 2012 2nd, and Rak?

(edited after SS graciously dropped some info)

SmootSmack 08-15-2012 07:29 PM

One rumor had a third team involved. But the bigger was we were trying to hold on to our 2012 2nd rounder, and offer Rak instead. Rams said no

Lotus 08-15-2012 07:33 PM

HailGreen, I don't want to be rude and not answer your questions but I defer to the all-knowing SS above.

HailGreen28 08-15-2012 08:07 PM

Appreciate the info, guys. :httr:

imaskin4life 08-15-2012 08:36 PM

[quote=HailGreen28;931017]Lol. Losing those next two first rounders is going to hurt. Though [B][U]if[/U][/B] Griffin is the next great QB it will have been worth it, IMO.

On another note, I'm shocked that Orakpo was part of the trade discussion. [B]I think Rak's actually an underrated part of our D[/B].[/quote]

Although I am not shocked that they considered trading Orakpo in order to get Griffin, I am glad that the Rams rejected. I agree with you that Orakpo is underrated by some. I think people make a mistake by comparing Orakpo to the highest standard and say "see there! he falls short, why can't he do that like [your favorite OLB/DE] does".

It is Ok to say that he is not as effective as Demarcus Ware (for example) but it is a mistake to think that because he falls short of elite status that he does not have value in our defense. I think the pressure that he brings creates opportunities for the rest of the front to also bring pressure which indirectly helps our secondary due to rushed/anxious QB's. I think the whole D benefits. Sure he can get better in pass coverage and add a move or two to his pass rushing arsenal but he is still a BEAST as he is now. He may not be "elite" yet or the "best" yet but he is still pretty hard to block (legally).

Obviously, the only logical reason to trade Orakpo is if it makes our team better. I would have done it to get Griffin (if it was necessary). I would also consider it if he becomes a glaring liability in pass coverage. For now, I think his strengths far out weigh his weaknesses and I expect the DE converted OLB to improve this year just like he did last year from the previous year.

SmootSmack 08-15-2012 08:47 PM

I mean I don't think they offered him because they didn't like him, but because he has value and that's the kind of guy you have to offer in such a big deal

imaskin4life 08-15-2012 08:59 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;931031]I mean I don't think they offered him because they didn't like him, but because he has value and that's the kind of guy you have to offer in such a big deal[/quote]

You have to do whatever it takes to get Griffin here. I understand that. I would have offered him too. But I am glad that the Rams rejected because I think Orakpo is an integral part of this defense and IMO he is more valuable than a 2nd round pick.

artmonkforhallofamein07 08-16-2012 12:03 AM

Unless that second rounder was a RT;) to some. Me I am glad Rak is still here.

The Goat 08-16-2012 01:45 PM

Rak was held on the first play against the Bills. Kerrigan still got the sack but the hold was glaring. Rak gets held way too often and not called.

SkinItup 08-17-2012 01:39 AM

^^^ get used to that with replacement refs.

The Goat 08-17-2012 01:58 AM

Part of me wants to think the holds not called on Orakpo so far in his career couldn't be any worse...