Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/)
-   -   Worst Buy (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/47219-worst-buy.html)

mredskins 03-29-2012 01:24 PM

Worst Buy

I personally can not stand them! Worst customer service ever.

[url=http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/29/markets/best_buy/index.htm?iid=Lead&hpt=hp_t3]Best Buy to close 50 U.S. stores, stock drops - Mar. 29, 2012[/url]

Hopefully the beginning of the end for them!

I do feel bad for folks that will lose their jobs though.

BleedBurgundy 03-29-2012 01:26 PM

Re: Worst Buy

first Circuit City and now these guys... have to admit, any store that sells monster cables should go straight the f out of business.

mredskins 03-29-2012 01:28 PM

Best quote at the end of the article:

[B][I]Back to mom's basement for the Geek Squad.[/I][/B]

PWNED 03-29-2012 01:29 PM

the fact that any store like that can stay open is beyond me. i find it quicker (and more helpful) to get everything online.

crutchfield is still open because of superior customer-service. places like best buy should take a hint.

mredskins 03-29-2012 01:33 PM

[quote=PWNED;905193]the fact that any store like that can stay open is beyond me. i find it quicker (and more helpful) to get everything online.

crutchfield is still open because of superior customer-service. places like best buy should take a hint.[/quote]

Crutchfield is essential a on-line realtor.

Last time i checked they have one store in VA.

mooby 03-29-2012 01:43 PM

The only thing worth going to Best Buy anymore for is their superior $5 bargain bin dvd's, compared to Walmart's. And that's simply not worth it for me anymore, the only time I ever go in there anymore is when I need something immediately, like a new charger cable or something. And if it's not urgent, it can wait, because their prices suck for the most part.

mredskins 03-29-2012 01:59 PM

Next best quote in the article:

[B][I]How am I going to try things out before I buy it on Amazon?! [/I][/B]

Ruhskins 03-29-2012 02:07 PM

Kinda hard for any electronic retail store to compete with the likes of Amazon.com, TigerDirect.com, Newegg.com or Buy.com. I always find electronics/software cheaper on these sites than places like Best Buy.

Mattyk 03-29-2012 02:11 PM

[quote=BleedBurgundy;905187]first Circuit City and now these guys... have to admit, any store that sells monster cables should go straight the f out of business.[/quote]

Don't forget CompUSA too...

Online killed big box electronic stores

FRPLG 03-29-2012 02:12 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;905215]Kinda hard for any electronic retail store to compete with the likes of Amazon.com, TigerDirect.com, Newegg.com or Buy.com. I always find electronics/software cheaper on these sites than places like Best Buy.[/quote]

Not just electronics but accessories.

"Hmmm...should I buy this HDMI cable for $40 or buy it on Amazon for $15?"

They're a dinosaur and the big bang is coming for them.

mredskins 03-29-2012 02:13 PM

Ever try to return something at Best Buy? Awful just awful.

NC_Skins 03-29-2012 02:15 PM

[quote=Mattyk;905220]Don't forget CompUSA too...

Online killed big box electronic stores[/quote]

Online stores/sites have killed the brick/mortar businesses in general.

mredskins 03-29-2012 02:15 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;905215]Kinda hard for any electronic retail store to compete with the likes of Amazon.com, TigerDirect.com, Newegg.com or Buy.com. I always find electronics/software cheaper on these sites than places like Best Buy.[/quote]

This is thing though if they made their prices a bit more competitive and here is the kicker they have the ability to put a live person i nfront of yo uto help you but do they no they probably have some of the worst customer service ever.

Dirtbag59 03-29-2012 02:25 PM

The funny thing about Best Buy is people go there to test out items they're thinking of buying and then go online and buy them.

Personally I've had some pretty bad experiences with Best Buy including one that left me without a computer for a month and a half. Of course I bought a TV over Christmas break and returned two before I found the one I liked, and they made it pretty easy to do the exchange.

As for Crutchfield, I think Pwned is right. Their superior customer service is a big part of the reason they're still a powerhouse. It's kind of weird balance though, on one hand they tend to charge a bit more for stuff like TV's and speakers, on the other hand they also sell stuff like head units and amps at retail prices then include key equipment like amp kits and harnesses for free. Also free shipping is nice.

Either way, on simple plug and play electronics price is the biggest issue, with more complicated items customer service and support is key. Best Buy's biggest asset right now is the fact that you can walk into any local store and get what you're looking for the same day. However they're also getting beat by online e-tailers on both fronts (price and/or customer service).

Also Target and Wal-Mart are starting to catch up to Best Buy in terms of selection for retail electronics so that also plays a factor in Best Buy's recent struggles.

This story though reminds me of something I read a little while back.
[url=http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2008/02/15/6345904-a-lost-laptop-a-54-million-lawsuit-part-2]Red Tape - A lost laptop, a $54 million lawsuit: part 2[/url]

mredskins 03-29-2012 02:48 PM

[quote=Dirtbag59;905234]The funny thing about Best Buy is people go there to test out items they're thinking of buying and then go online and buy them.

Personally I've had some pretty bad experiences with Best Buy including one that left me without a computer for a month and a half. Of course I bought a TV over Christmas break and returned two before I found the one I liked, and they made it pretty easy to do the exchange.

As for Crutchfield, I think Pwned is right. Their superior customer service is a big part of the reason they're still a powerhouse. It's kind of weird balance though, on one hand they tend to charge a bit more for stuff like TV's and speakers, on the other hand they also sell stuff like head units and amps at retail prices then include key equipment like amp kits and harnesses for free. Also free shipping is nice.

Either way, on simple plug and play electronics price is the biggest issue, with more complicated items customer service and support is key. Best Buy's biggest asset right now is the fact that you can walk into any local store and get what you're looking for the same day. However they're also getting beat by online e-tailers on both fronts (price and/or customer service).

Also Target and Wal-Mart are starting to catch up to Best Buy in terms of selection for retail electronics so that also plays a factor in Best Buy's recent struggles.

This story though reminds me of something I read a little while back.
[URL="http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2008/02/15/6345904-a-lost-laptop-a-54-million-lawsuit-part-2"]Red Tape - A lost laptop, a $54 million lawsuit: part 2[/URL][/quote]

Don't forget about Sears...been around forever for a reason.