Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The latest on contracts (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=4734)

MTK 02-08-2005 10:40 PM

The latest on contracts

Some highlights from the Post:

[url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9121-2005Feb8.html"]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9121-2005Feb8.html[/url]

[quote]The Redskins have long been at an impasse with Smoot over the size of his signing bonus, and there is a sense among many at Redskins Park that he will depart as a free agent. Negotiations with Pierce, who starred at middle linebacker last season, continued through the weekend, sources said, with both Pierce and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, saying recently they are hopeful of reaching a long-term agreement.

The team has also made progress in negotiations with defensive lineman Joe Salave'a and offensive lineman Ray Brown, sources said, but have yet to complete those deals. Emerging linebacker Lemar Marshall also remains unsigned.[/quote]

[quote]Working out an extension with Samuels, who is set to count about $10 million against the salary cap for 2005, would open up more space to sign other players, and Samuels has said he welcomes that option. Gibbs is also optimistic that receiver Rod Gardner will be dealt next month when the trading period begins. Gardner's agent, Joel Segal, was granted permission to seek deals and spoke with Redskins salary cap manager Eric Schaffer several times recently to report outside interest, Gibbs said.
"There seems to be some interest there, and there should be," Gibbs said. "He's a good player."

Tampa Bay is expected to make a push for Gardner, and Baltimore could as well, with the Redskins likely receiving a mid-round draft pick in return.[/quote]

Gmanc711 02-08-2005 11:39 PM

I'm hopeful that things start to pick up. I'm really eager to hear some more news on the progress of Samuels and Peirce. It sounds like things are going well with Antonio Peirce, I hope things are good w/ Samuels too.

At this point I'm just gonna assume Smoot is gone, and if by some way we resign him, I'll think of it as an early suprise birthday present.

aehs77 02-08-2005 11:51 PM

i hate this time of year

SmootSmack 02-09-2005 12:32 AM

I think I read somewhere that the Texans are also interested in Gardner

I'm worried about Marshall for some reason. Should I be worried?

PSUskinsfan11 02-09-2005 01:01 AM

i wouldn't be worried about Marshall if we can get Clemons. LaVar will be back at 100% and if something were to happen to him Clemons would do just as good a job as MArshall if not better.

DCopper04 02-09-2005 01:22 AM

What's the deal with Barrow? Is he going to be healthy next season or what? Assuming we re-sign Pierce, I have to think that Barrow is gonna be gone at the conclusion of next season. It would be nice to have a backup as good as he is for the next few years, but his contract is way too big for him to be a backup. It will be interesting to see what happens with him.

offiss 02-09-2005 03:10 AM

[QUOTE=PSUskinsfan11]i wouldn't be worried about Marshall if we can get Clemons. LaVar will be back at 100% and if something were to happen to him Clemons would do just as good a job as MArshall if not better.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree!

MTK 02-09-2005 08:41 AM

I'm not sure how much interest Marshall would draw. I think he'll be back. I'm really excited about Clemons too, he looks like he can be a dangerous pass rusher from the LB spot.

Redskins_P 02-09-2005 09:12 AM

God I hope we re-sign Pierce. He's the QB of our defense. As for Smoot, I've been waiting to say goodbye to him ever since he spoke to his Champ to get advice about his contract. Sorry guys, but Smoot is replaceable.

I also hope we can get Samuels to renegotiate, and re-sign Salave'a, Marshall. Although I wouldn't mind having Clemons backing up Lavar.

BDBohnzie 02-09-2005 10:38 AM

while i agree that smoot can be replaced, you want to put your best foot forward, and no matter what you think of him, he can play ball...

granted, he's asking a bit much, and i hope for his sake he compromises, but if he doesn't so be it...

firstdown 02-09-2005 12:14 PM

This might be better as a new thread but I dont know how or if I can start one. With all the talk of Smoot and getting him resigned. Where would you rank him as compared to other corners in the league and is he worth what he is asking?

MTK 02-09-2005 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=firstdown]This might be better as a new thread but I dont know how or if I can start one. With all the talk of Smoot and getting him resigned. Where would you rank him as compared to other corners in the league and is he worth what he is asking?[/QUOTE]

When you're in a forum just hit the new thread button.