Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   All About the Offensive Line (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=47345)

SmootSmack 04-09-2012 09:45 AM

All About the Offensive Line

Share your thoughts here on how to improve it for next season

REDSKINS4ever 04-09-2012 09:49 AM

Re: All About the Offensive Line

The first thing to do is to add youthful depth in emergency areas along the OL where it's needed. LG and maybe C and of course RT. I would assume LT and RG is solid for now.

mooby 04-09-2012 10:14 AM

I wouldn't mind an upgrade at RT, or at least some depth if J.Brown has injury issues again. And then of course depth can always use an upgrade on the interior of the line.

Daseal 04-09-2012 10:14 AM

I may be in the minority, but I don't feel as if our OL is in terrible shape. Not to say there aren't improvements to be made, but I feel we have a middle of the pack line in the league. Last year we started strong with our starters. Once we sustained some injuries we definitely saw a decline in production from the line; however, those backups responded, grew together as as unit, and played some damn good football in our final few games.

Lets not forget they were opening some big holes to get both Helu and Royster some big games. I don't think OL is as much of a priority as DB and ILB on this team. I would have liked us look for some help at the RT position in FA, besides that -- I mostly like what we have.

TheMalcolmConnection 04-09-2012 10:42 AM

I'm with Daseal. I don't think we're terrible...

My main concern is depth. Sure, we had some backups come in and play admirably, but how often is that going to happen? I think we need to grab some older vets and draft some line help early. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with that scenario.

Monksdown 04-09-2012 10:55 AM

O-Line is a C+ when fully healthy. We have no depth and depth is crucial to his unit in particular. Taking that into consideration, by mid year, odds are they are a D+/C- just like last year.

At this point(Bell's gone), the only way to address it is draft Shanahan type guys in mid-late rounds. They typically slide anyway because they are typically smaller more athletic guys. These 1-2 players will see playing time this year when Jammal and whomever else get's hurt.

12thMan 04-09-2012 10:57 AM

Agree with Dasel and Malcolm, I don't think we're that bad. Rex's horrible decision making and lack of playmakers at WR exacerbated our offensive lines woes. The only must have is probably right tackle because Jamal Brown likely can't last 16 games.

hail_2_da_skins 04-09-2012 11:06 AM

I agree with most of the posts, the offensive line is average. Depth is the biggest problem. When injuries occur, the quality goes down significantly. Need to go after offensive line and middle linebacker in the draft.

Chico23231 04-09-2012 11:20 AM

I disagree, we need better protection at the RT position. We need a stronger starter and get JB the f*ck outta town. McNeil would be an upgrade in FA, he has always been a better player at Tackle than JB. I would also draft a young tackle as well to groom. Willie Smith is a decent backup, but we need another.

Im seriously worried about Kory L and the horrible injury he needs to come off of. I feel more comfortable with Hurt coming in at Guard than a guy like Smith at tackle though. A a new young C/G face would be nice as well.

chickensalad 04-09-2012 11:27 AM

We've seen how the Shanahan's like competition at RB and WR. Why not more competition at OL? They can't be satisfied with what they currently have, can they?

MTK 04-09-2012 11:50 AM

[quote=chickensalad;907526]We've seen how the Shanahan's like competition at RB and WR. Why not more competition at OL? They can't be satisfied with what they currently have, can they?[/quote]

We've had a few free agent OL in for visits, if we didn't have the cap issue we probably would have signed one or two. Now the focus will have to be in the draft.

drew54 04-09-2012 12:29 PM

I am thinking they draft Adam Gettis from Iowa late. He is someone who appears to be a good fit for the Shanahan scheme, undersized but quick and fundamentally sound. And it fills my annual homer pick wish list.

whistler 04-09-2012 12:52 PM

[quote=Daseal;907508]I may be in the minority, but I don't feel as if our OL is in terrible shape. Not to say there aren't improvements to be made, but I feel we have a middle of the pack line in the league. Last year we started strong with our starters. Once we sustained some injuries we definitely saw a decline in production from the line; however, those backups responded, grew together as as unit, and played some damn good football in our final few games.

Lets not forget they were opening some big holes to get both Helu and Royster some big games. I don't think OL is as much of a priority as DB and ILB on this team. I would have liked us look for some help at the RT position in FA, besides that -- I mostly like what we have.[/quote]

I agree the O line is ok (not great or very good) it should be ok if TW is smoke free and there are no long term injuries. The larger concerns are ILB and secondary.

Mechanix544 04-09-2012 12:55 PM

RG3 will turn our line from a C minus line into an A minus line, just with his physical attributes and decision making. Thats about where I see the receivers as well, without RG3, maybe a solid C or B minus, with RG3, B plus or A minus.

Chico23231 04-09-2012 12:59 PM

[quote=Mechanix544;907569][B]RG3 will turn our line from a C minus line into an A minus line, just with his physical attributes and decision making[/B]. Thats about where I see the receivers as well, without RG3, maybe a solid C or B minus, with RG3, B plus or A minus.[/quote]

So we will depend on a rookie QB to improve our Oline? What a grand strategy