Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Niles Paul... Tight End? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=47496)

tryfuhl 04-22-2012 01:54 AM

Re: Niles Paul... Tight End?

Paul was prob our best blocking WR and played some TE last year too. Doubt we see him in any sort of bunch.. but he'll be a good threat at the position.. could keep him around longer.

#56fanatic 04-22-2012 07:37 AM

I'd hate to see it, but Dealing Cooley may get us an additional pick or two if we decide to deal him. His cap is $3.?? million? No too high but he may be willing to rework the deal in a trade. If Paul is working out, then it may be the writing on the wall for Cooley. Hate to see it, yet another jersey down the shitter!!

JoLo 04-22-2012 10:45 AM

[quote=Gary84Clark;910467]Shannon Sharpe. Height: 6-2 Weight: 228[/quote]

And I like to think Aaron Hernandez is pretty damn good too. His athleticism makes him unguardable with Gronk out there. Mayb we could use fred davis and Paul the same way.

TheMalcolmConnection 04-22-2012 11:24 AM

[quote=#56fanatic;910497]I'd hate to see it, but Dealing Cooley may get us an additional pick or two if we decide to deal him. His cap is $3.?? million? No too high but he may be willing to rework the deal in a trade. If Paul is working out, then it may be the writing on the wall for Cooley. Hate to see it, yet another jersey down the shitter!![/quote]

If we're going to do this, we need to hang onto him for at least another year. Someone else already posted this, but his value is at an all-time low. If he can come back healthy, he's going to be a steal for someone else. Sure, our TE depth is great with him and Davis, but you trade Cooley, Paul doesn't work out and all it takes is a joint for us to suddenly have a nightmare at TE.

los panda 04-22-2012 12:43 PM

maybe we'll take a look at another byron chamberlain

iRepDMV 04-22-2012 03:23 PM

[quote=skinster;910457]Never seen such a small TE. I hope it works out! I think the plan is Cooley is gone next year, and Paul is the backup.[/quote]

Aaron Hernandez 6'1 240.

Niles isnt that far behind at 6'1 234. If he gets to 238, thats even better.

SkinsHulk 04-22-2012 03:43 PM

Its hard to feel good about this move. I was never sold on NP. Other than that big hit (rams game punt coverage?) he's a decent WR that can seal an edge- so what?! It's going to be totally different on the line blocking/protecting our future hopes. Maybe it will pan out to have a multi purpose WR/special teams guy/ 3rd or 4th string TE and create an extra spot on the roster but he's too small in my mind and should have been an OL pick instead.

SkinsHulk 04-22-2012 03:44 PM

Also, I've always thOught Moss to be the best blocking WR on the team.

tryfuhl 04-22-2012 05:38 PM

[quote=SkinsHulk;910565]Its hard to feel good about this move. I was never sold on NP. Other than that big hit (rams game punt coverage?) he's a decent WR that can seal an edge- so what?! It's going to be totally different on the line blocking/protecting our future hopes. Maybe it will pan out to have a multi purpose WR/special teams guy/ 3rd or 4th string TE and create an extra spot on the roster but he's too small in my mind and should have been an OL pick instead.[/quote]

We're not asking him to be Donny Warren.

tryfuhl 04-22-2012 05:39 PM

[quote=SkinsHulk;910567]Also, I've always thOught Moss to be the best blocking WR on the team.[/quote]

What?

He has delivered some good downfield blocks with his speed.. but I mean blocking by design. Moss has never really been asked to occupy a defender to get somebody else open.

Don't get to see the receiver blocks on rushing as much.

hooskins 04-22-2012 10:58 PM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection;910511]If we're going to do this, we need to hang onto him for at least another year. Someone else already posted this, but his value is at an all-time low. If he can come back healthy, he's going to be a steal for someone else. Sure, our TE depth is great with him and Davis, but you trade Cooley, Paul doesn't work out and all it takes is a joint for us to suddenly have a nightmare at TE.[/QUOTE]

True and true. We should've traded Cooley a few seasons back. But that's another debate.

Point is Davis isn't a guarantee and Cooley is coming off injury. Doesn't hurt to get Paul in the mix when the WR position is relatively saturated.

ethat001 04-23-2012 12:32 AM

Sure, this could allow him to have some impact outside of ST and make the team, but I'm not expecting him to suddenly become Aaron Hernandez. Unless he's been training with Laron Landry, he's going to be a major liability in blocking and Ware and Osi/Pierre-Paul will eat him for lunch.

Anyway, another pass-catching TE-hybrid would be a reasonable place for him with a hobbled Cooley and a high Fred Davis.

RGIII 04-23-2012 04:41 AM

Do you think the Skins are eyeing a WR since they're getting a head start with playing Paul at TE? A TE may be available in the draft.

REDSKINS4ever 04-23-2012 06:20 AM

[quote=RGIII;910668]Do you think the Skins are eyeing a WR since they're getting a head start with playing Paul at TE? A TE may be available in the draft.[/quote]

I think they have their eyes set on a few wide receivers. But the wide receivers Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan have in mind are of course not 1st or 2nd round prospect. Nick Toon is one WR they are salivating over and perhaps A.J. Jenkins of Illinois. Ryan Broyles of Oklahoma is another value in the 4th or 5th rounds.

mlmpetert 04-23-2012 10:37 AM

Definitely interesting and ill be routing for him. I wonder if Logan Paulson is done here? Ive thought hes done pretty decent.

I really hope it has nothing to do with Cooley's contract though. Using a guy to reduce another guys contract just seem like bad business practices. Hopefully its purely because they think Paul has a real future at the spot.

Tight End has been the most evolving or changing position over the last 5 years or so. It doesnt seem to have much to do with all the rule changes either. Im sure well see some more cool stuff with te's over the next few years .