Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Keenan Robinson pick 4.24 (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=47606)

MTK 04-28-2012 05:03 PM

Keenan Robinson pick 4.24

[url=http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/keenan-robinson?id=2532940]Keenan Robinson Draft Profile – NFL.com[/url]

talk about Robinson here

IrMitchell 04-28-2012 05:10 PM

Re: Keenan Robinson pick 4.24

This guy was the #1 outside linebacker recruit in the country in 2007.

The upside is definitely there.

MTK 04-28-2012 05:24 PM

Notes:
Parade and USA Today All-American who also competed in track and field as a Texas prep. Redshirted in 2007. A reserve/special-teams player in ’08, recorded 24 tackles, two for loss and one sack with one pass breakup in 12 games. Started all 14 games at weak-side linebacker in ’09 and produced 74-5-11⁄2 with four pass breakups. Was the Longhorns’ leading tackler in ’10, piling up 113-8-2 with two pass breakups, two interceptions, one forced fumble and a 10-yard fumble recovery TD against Rice in 12 starts. Produced 106-10-1 with seven pass breakups and two forced fumbles in 13 starts at middle linebacker in ’11.

Positives:
Terrific body length — has long arms and uses his hands to protect his legs. Smooth movement skills. Agile and light on his feet — moves very well laterally. Good closing burst when he sees it. Flashes hitting ability. Outstanding range and coverage instincts. Keeps pace with backs and drops effortlessly into zone — shows natural ball reactions. Has flexible hips and plants and drives efficiently. Solid personal and football character.

Negatives:
Lean and high-cut. Average eyes and diagnostic skills — takes false steps, loses the ball and takes himself out of position. Not strong or physical — turns down some contact. Engulfed by larger blockers. Does not play heavy-handed to work off blocks and is too easily walled off. Inconsistent, low, leaky tackler. Limited pass-rush value. Lacks football savvy and has a tendency to freelance.

Summary:
Finesse, run-around, lateral-playing, run-and-chase weak-side linebacker with standout coverage skills to contribute readily in nickel packages. Has eventual starter potential. Scouts have compared him to Giants WLB Michael Boley.

[url=http://cache.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/keenan-robinson-1/]ProFootballWeekly.com - Draft Prospect - Keenan Robinson[/url]

GridIron26 04-28-2012 05:27 PM

Seems like the guy could take over Fletcher's spot once Fletcher retires

The Goat 04-28-2012 08:55 PM

We def needed depth at LB all around so hopefully this kid learns fast and ups his game!!

Lotus 04-28-2012 08:58 PM

I like the pick. He needs more cheeseburgers to bulk up. But he might be an important future cog.

warriorzpath 04-28-2012 09:53 PM

If that description of his coverage ability is accurate then he's a linebacker that the redskins need. The redskins can put him in to match up against pass catching tight ends, which has been the Achilles heel of the redskins defense for years.

jbcjr14 04-28-2012 10:00 PM

I have watched Keenan live here in Austin over the past few years. Steady linebacker and actually has a nasty streak in him. I like this pick and think he will fit in well with the current scheme.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rypper11 04-28-2012 10:01 PM

Great pick. Immediate contributor on ST and possible back up at ILB. Someone who can cover TE's and RB's is great.

SirClintonPortis 04-28-2012 10:13 PM

[quote=Lotus;913562]I like the pick. He needs more cheeseburgers to bulk up. But he might be an important future cog.[/quote]

Lol, not quite the food he should be eating. Increased caloric intake with just appropriate foods, combined with the proper workout regiment and loads and loads of protein will make weight gain happen without too much excessive blubber.

And good sleeping habits are also a must(hence partying is not good).

exit0 04-28-2012 11:28 PM

[quote=Lotus;913562]I like the pick. He needs more cheeseburgers to bulk up. But he might be an important future cog.[/quote]

Don't worry... once the trainers get hold of him and have him in the weight room, he will bulk up very quickly.

NC_Skins 04-28-2012 11:43 PM

I liked the pick a lot and think he can transition to the ILB with some time. By the time Fletcher is hanging his cleats up, this guy could be ready to step up and be the next stud in line.

CultBrennan59 04-29-2012 12:06 AM

The last LB we took in the 4th under shanahan was Perry Riley and he seems to be looking like a solid starter. If Keenan is close to what Perry is than this is a very solid pick. If he doesn't show a good amount of promise his first year I can see us getting (insert FA MLB) in free agency next year instead of playing the guessing game.

mlmdub130 04-29-2012 07:27 PM

just caught up on all the draft picks, the way you guys have laid it out is awesome. this is why i love this board. httr!!

GTripp0012 04-29-2012 07:45 PM

I envision Keenan Robinson's early career as the nickle linebacker who plays next to Fletcher in our sub package. He can cover and rush the quarterback. He's a perfect complement to Perry Riley.

I don't know if I envision him as a long term answer to Fletcher: I think that might be next year's second round draft target. Robinson seems like more of an every down player for us within three years, when Riley's rookie contract is up.

We're still lacking depth at MLB, although I think that we've done decent there on the veteran front with Kehl and Lorenzo Alexander.

After RG3, this was really the only "need" based selection of the class.

The Goat 04-29-2012 09:04 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;913884]I envision Keenan Robinson's early career as the nickle linebacker who plays next to Fletcher in our sub package. He can cover and rush the quarterback. He's a perfect complement to Perry Riley.

I don't know if I envision him as a long term answer to Fletcher: I think that might be next year's second round draft target. Robinson seems like more of an every down player for us within three years, when Riley's rookie contract is up.

We're still lacking depth at MLB, although I think that we've done decent there on the veteran front with Kehl and Lorenzo Alexander.

After RG3, this was really the only "need" based selection of the class.[/quote]

Not to nitpick dude but how do you not see interior oline as a need heading into the draft? I mean there's a solid argument to be made the bigger oline need was/is right tackle, but interior was certainly on the list. Savvy?

Do you see Robinson as an eventual replacement for Riley?

GTripp0012 04-29-2012 09:10 PM

[quote=The Goat;913901]Not to nitpick dude but how do you not see interior oline as a need heading into the draft? I mean there's a solid argument to be made the bigger oline need was/is right tackle, but interior was certainly on the list. Savvy?[/quote]What are we talking about again?

[quote]Do you see Robinson as an eventual replacement for Riley?[/quote]Yeah, if he develops into a three down player, it will come right as Riley is set to hit free agency.

Riley, if he re-signs after 2013, might actually be the player on the roster best suited to taking over for Fletcher.

The Goat 04-29-2012 09:13 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;913884]

After RG3, this was really the only "need" based selection of the class.[/quote]

Am I missing something or did you indeed suggest the oline picks weren't "need" based?

The Goat 04-29-2012 09:13 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;913905]What are we talking about again?

Yeah, if he develops into a three down player, it will come right as Riley is set to hit free agency.

[B]Riley, if he re-signs after 2013, might actually be the player on the roster best suited to taking over for Fletcher.[/B][/quote]

This is what I'm hoping, with Zoe or Robinson developing into the other ILB starter.

GTripp0012 04-29-2012 09:20 PM

[quote=The Goat;913906]Am I missing something or did you indeed suggest the oline picks weren't "need" based?[/quote]I think we entered the draft though with 11 starters penciled in on offense, and 10 of them are at least adequate for the demands of the position.

I think it's fair to say that the OL picks were a predetermined draft strategy to address that area, but it's not like we would have to run out and pay money for a LG/C if they hadn't taken Josh LeRibus in the third. With the Keenan Robinson pick, we actually filled a hole in the roster (and passed up arguably better talent at WR and CB to do it).

But the strategy to draft a bunch of interior lineman, kind of like the quarterback position, seemed to be related to the idea that they determined that there was value in the position this year. That it was "deep" enough to go early and often.

Monkeydad 04-30-2012 02:16 PM

[yt]sGAZQko2lEA[/yt]

Check out the last tackle on the video, he ran down RGIII.

Monkeydad 04-30-2012 02:17 PM

What about moving Orakpo back to DE and start this guy at LB? He can probably cover better.

sportscurmudgeon 04-30-2012 02:22 PM

IF you believe that these scouting summaries have any value at all, then this particular one would have you believing that Robinson should be an undrafted free agent.

Here is a defensive player whose job it is to prevent the other team from scoring. And buried in the "Negatives" is this wording:
[INDENT][B]Inconsistent, low, leaky tackler. Limited pass-rush value. Lacks football savvy and has a tendency to freelance[/B].[/INDENT]
Were I to try to come up with a description of a BAD linebacker, I would say he does not rush the passer well, he does not tackle well and he is out of position more than once in a while.

Now go read those negatives again...

On the other hand, I prefer to watch someone play and form opinions on them after watching them in an actual football game against competent opponents.

CultBrennan59 04-30-2012 02:25 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;914113]What about moving Orakpo back to DE and start this guy at LB? He can probably cover better.[/quote]

Is this a joke?

Orakpo cannot play 3-4 DE. He's way to small. 4-3? Yeah that would work, but one problem, we play a 3-4 now and have 3-4 personnel.

The Goat 04-30-2012 02:37 PM

[quote=CultBrennan59;914118]Is this a joke?

Orakpo cannot play 3-4 DE. He's way to small. 4-3? Yeah that would work, but one problem, we play a 3-4 now and have 3-4 personnel.[/quote]

So it's settled!! We should end this nonsense and go back to a 4-3 :)

REDSKINS4ever 05-05-2012 07:28 AM

[quote=CultBrennan59;914118]Is this a joke?

Orakpo cannot play 3-4 DE. He's way to small. 4-3? Yeah that would work, but one problem, we play a 3-4 now and have 3-4 personnel.[/quote]

In 2010 the Redskins had Andre Carter playing DE in the 3-4. Orakpo could do it because of his strength and athleticism, but it would be pointless because he wouldn't be effective there. He's most effective as a 3-4 OLB.

The Goat 05-05-2012 06:00 PM

[quote=REDSKINS4ever;915296]In 2010 the Redskins had Andre Carter playing DE in the 3-4. Orakpo could do it because of his strength and athleticism, but it would be pointless because he wouldn't be effective there. [B]He's most effective as a 3-4 OLB.[/B][/quote]

In a 3-4 he's most effective as an OLB to be sure, but overall he'd be most effective as a 4-3 DE. I think there's several guys on the roster who best fit the 4-3 still today. Kerrigan, Orakpo, and all the d-linemen. Fletcher is brilliant in both systems.

imaskin4life 05-06-2012 02:42 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;914113]What about moving Orakpo back to DE and start this guy at LB? He can probably cover better.[/quote]

It would be the equivalent of moving Orakpo to DT in a 4-3 scheme because the DE in the 3-4 is actually more like DT in 4-3. The OLB in 3-4 is closer to DE in 4-3 in terms of pass rush/run support. The difference of course is the pass coverage responsibilities of the 3-4 OLB. It is better that Orakpo stays where he is.

I would not be surprised if Robinson could cover better than Orakpo (Orakpo is a DE converted into OLB). If that is the case, then I would not mind seeing him (or any other player who has better coverage skills) in certain pass situations in which it is predetermined that we are not rushing the passer from that OLB position on the given play, otherwise it is better to just keep Orakpo there.

REDSKINS4ever 05-29-2012 03:58 PM

I'm expecting big things from Keenen Robinson in the years to come. If they (Shanahan and Allen) truly see this young man being London Fletcher's replacement, then it speaks volumes on how highly they think of him as an inside linebacker.

30gut 05-29-2012 05:55 PM

Hopefully Keenan is the coverage linebacker his scouting reports makes him out to be.
Although Fletcher and Riley are faster then him(Fletcher much more so) coverage isn't their strength.
I'm sure Keenan will play some special teams but if he can cover he maybe sees time in nickel/coverage defenses.

The Goat 05-29-2012 06:29 PM

Coverage is always important, but we can't take our tackling machine (London) for granted. There just aren't many players who can lead his team, let alone the league, in tackles year after year.

London is an amazing specimen. I hope he gets another ring before retiring ;)