Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Art Monk vs. NFL (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=47773)

htownskinfan 05-11-2012 08:27 AM

Re: Art Monk vs. NFL

No doubt some of these players sustained actual life altering injuries,but a lot of these players are jumpoing on the bandwagon for the money.I heard on the radio yesterday that a former kicker{didnt catch his name}who played around 10 years and never sustained a concussion joined the lawsuit.Are you kidding me,a kicker?

FRPLG 05-11-2012 10:21 AM

[quote=htownskinfan;916563]No doubt some of these players sustained actual life altering injuries,but a lot of these players are jumpoing on the bandwagon for the money.I heard on the radio yesterday that a former kicker{didnt catch his name}who played around 10 years and never sustained a concussion joined the lawsuit.Are you kidding me,a kicker?[/quote]

Yeah his name is Chip Lohmiller. You might have heard of him.

Defensewins 05-11-2012 11:22 AM

[quote=GusFrerotte;916498]Ah dude, players know it is a dangerous, rough sport, when they decide to play the game, just like hockey players, or even race car drivers know they could get into a serious car accident. If the players are just trying to increase awareness or get the NFL to maybe spend more on protective equipment I am all for it, but to be honest, with these guys getting bigger and faster every decade, it is going to be very hard to really increase the protection they can get. The whole thing is tremendous blunt force. Maybe create a helmet with some sort of shock absorber mechanism, but even that might only alleviate the force some.[/quote]

For me it is about raising awareness. Especially for parents that let their small little kids play full contact pee-wee football or hockey. They might think differently once educated on the real risks of exposing a young child to a certain sport at such an early age.
I had never heard of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy until just a few months ago. I did not know that it has been found in kids as young as 18 years old.
As the research and funding continue to grow we will learn more about this preventable condition. I hear they are close to developing a test that will identify it in the living.

What shocked me is when Kurt Warner was recently quoted on "The Dan Patrick Show", saying he would prefer if his children did not play football. Backlash and criticism followed, “I think it’s irresponsible and unacceptable,” Merril Hoge said on "NFL Live" on ESPN. "He has thrown the game that has been so good to him under the bus. [B][U]He sounds extremely uneducated[/U][/B].”
[B][U]Really? [/U][/B]
Merril Hoge a former running back suffered a concussion during the 1994 season with the Bears, but was cleared to play without further examination by the team doctor. A few weeks later, he suffered another concussion, this one causing him to stop breathing. Hoge was eventually resuscitated and spent two days in intensive care, which marked the end of his football career.

In the weeks, months, and years following this incident Merril Hoge experienced severe memory loss and even had to learn to read again.

It is nearly mind-boggling to hear Hoge, who nearly lost everything on the field, not only question Kurt Warner’s safety-related comments, but to essentially call blasphemy on the Super Bowl MVP. Hoge more than anyone should understand the extreme risks that come with playing an extremely violent sport.

htownskinfan 05-11-2012 02:04 PM

[quote=FRPLG;916594]Yeah his name is Chip Lohmiller. You might have heard of him.[/quote]

seriously? If i would have heard his name i would have remembered that.Dude should be ashamed of himself

FRPLG 05-11-2012 02:56 PM

[url=http://www.fatpickled.com/?p=4467]Former Redskins Kicker Chip Lohmiller Is Suing The NFL For Concussions?! | Fatpickled[/url]

FRPLG 05-11-2012 02:57 PM

Here's a question. These guys played football for years. How can prove any injuries sustained happened in the NFL versus college or high school?

Evilgrin 05-11-2012 03:39 PM

I think one of the areas the NFL is most concerned with, is any instance where a player might claim that a coach forced/persuaded him to go back in hurt. IE, 20 years ago coach Gibbs made me play concussed, and now my arm is going numb. I think this does create some liability for the NFL?

Not that the coach had knowledge of the longterm effects of the injury at the time. We know how the league culture has evolved over the years, and is still evolving. So they could also point the finger back at themselves, if a player didn't go back in he might have been ostracized by his teammates.

Evilgrin 05-11-2012 03:48 PM

[quote=FRPLG;916668]Here's a question. These guys played football for years. How can prove any injuries sustained happened in the NFL versus college or high school?[/quote]

Sue them also? Taxpayer ends up being responsible in the end...

Giantone 05-11-2012 05:35 PM

[quote=Evilgrin;916680]Sue them also? Taxpayer ends up being responsible in the end...[/quote]

....how?

los panda 05-11-2012 07:39 PM

i believe public schools receive funding from taxpayers

Giantone 05-12-2012 03:06 AM

Is anyone sueing any of the Hockey or Soccer leagues,Rugby.....basketball,point is all the sports players ,male and female have gotten concussions.....anyone take a 90mph fastball into one of those batting helmits? I might even understand if you're sueing the helmit makers ...Rydel but the NFL?If they(ex-players) want health coverage I understand that and agree with it ,retires should be coverd but to sue and say the NFL are responsible ,sorry I don't get it.

Hog1 05-12-2012 08:27 AM

[quote=Giantone;916731][B]Is anyone sueing any of the Hockey or Soccer leagues,Rugby.....basketball[/B],point is all the sports players ,male and female have gotten concussions.....anyone take a 90mph fastball into one of those batting helmits? I might even understand if you're sueing the helmit makers ...Rydel but the NFL?If they(ex-players) want health coverage I understand that and agree with it ,retires should be coverd but to sue and say the NFL are responsible ,sorry I don't get it.[/quote]

Unfortunately, it just does not matter. Not sure if this law suit is justified or not but in this country, you can sue for anything.........
Damn, that McDonalds coffee is just tooo hot....I'm gonna' sue they're ass.
Looking for righteousness in our legal system is like looking for fiscal stability while playing the lottery......

SirClintonPortis 05-12-2012 10:58 AM

[quote=Giantone;916485]These are grown men who made a choice to play football and could say no.I don't understand how you hold the league responsible ,anyone playing knows there is a chance they can get hurt at anytime.....or worse.
[B]Most of these men have college degrees and surly were smart enough to know that concussions can cause brain injuries.[/B]The NFL changed what they did be it helmits or the way they test the players when the information changed
So if someone I knew dies from an illness and 20 years later they find a cure......can I sue becuase these Doctors should have learned about this illness sooner?[/quote]

Unless MAYBE you are a bio, anatomy, maaaybe kinesiology major of some sort, or pre-med, you are not going to learn one dime about details of concussions as a undergraduate, not even nowadays. Hell, they might not teach that stuff for those who major in that subject.

And NFL culture(and other sport culture) treated physical pain as merely something in which you bite your teeth, get a painkiller, and go back out there. Not doing so would be considered soft.

SirClintonPortis 05-12-2012 11:17 AM

[quote=NC_Skins;916496]Did they? Probably not. Would it have changed their decision? Probably not.

If I'm correct, people that smoked their whole lives won major lawsuits against the tobacco industry even though there wasn't any evidence at the time of lung cancer and smoking. (or that I know of)[/quote]
Highly unlikely if your "just a guy" or "group of guys" doing the suing and the lawsuit was filed in the early 90s or before . The following article was written in 2000.
[url=http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2000/04/a_tobacco_lawsuit_primer.html]A Tobacco Lawsuit Primer - Slate Magazine[/url]
[quote]Individual smokers. Smokers have been suing tobacco companies since the 1950s. Until recently, they have been almost entirely unsuccessful--mainly because tobacco companies argued effectively that smoking is a personal choice and that people have known of its harmful side effects for years. That argument is proving less effective these days as plaintiffs produce documents proving that cigarette makers have known all along their product is addictive. The next logical inference--if cigarettes are addictive, then people don't choose to smoke them--has led to a couple of multimillion-dollar jury awards in recent months. In February, a California jury ordered Philip Morris to pay $51.5 million to a woman who said she developed inoperable lung cancer from smoking, and a month later, a state jury in Oregon awarded $81 million to the family of a man who smoked Marlboro cigarettes for 40 years before his death. Both awards were cut in half by the trial judges, and the cases are still on appeal.
Advertisement

Groups of many smokers. Class-action suits are brought by a few plaintiffs on behalf of many. In Miami, three plaintiffs sued Philip Morris, R.J. Reynolds, Lorillard, the Liggett Group, and Brown & Williamson on behalf of as many as 500,000 addicted Floridians who suffer from certain smoking-related illnesses. Estimates suggest that various cigarette makers currently face as many as 125 similar suits across the country. Big Tobacco has been quite successful defending against these lawsuits; in 1995, for example, a federal appeals court threw out one class-action suit filed on behalf of more than 100 million smokers nationwide.
[/quote]

The tobacco industry was dealt a huge death blow when Jeffery Wigand decided to come out and talk about the details on how cigarettes were addictive and the like. Getting him to talk wasn't easy, as he experienced much coercion to stay silent. And the whole ordeal wrecked his personal life in the process.

Giantone 05-12-2012 05:06 PM

[quote=Hog1;916734]Unfortunately, it just does not matter. Not sure if this law suit is justified or not but in this country, you can sue for anything.........
Damn, that McDonalds coffee is just tooo hot....I'm gonna' sue they're ass.
Looking for righteousness in our legal system is like looking for fiscal stability while playing the lottery......[/quote]

lol....now on this we agree,ever read the warnings on a lawn mower or a ladder,maybe they should put warnings like "Play at your own risk" or "Being hit or hitting anyone while wearing this helmit may cause a concussion" on the equipment.