Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=47854)

Daseal 05-17-2012 04:42 PM

Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character.

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/new-orleans-saints-lb-jonathan-vilma-sues-nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-for-defamation/2012/05/17/gIQAHCVhWU_blog.html?wprss=rss_football-insider]New Orleans Saints LB Jonathan Vilma sues NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for defamation - The Insider - The Washington Post[/url]

This could get interesting!

BigHairedAristocrat 05-17-2012 05:25 PM

Re: Vilma suing Goodell for defamation of character.

love the move. i highly doubt goodell lied, but the mere allegation paints him in a negative light and will give the dude (forget his name) hearing the skins&cowboys case reason to question the truthfulness of anything goodell tells him. thanks vilma!

MTK 05-17-2012 06:47 PM

Interesting, but I doubt it goes anywhere. I've heard some say the labor agreement trumps a litigation process and Vilma would likely have to file a grievance through the NFLPA instead.

Giantone 05-17-2012 07:37 PM

[quote=Daseal;917514][URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/new-orleans-saints-lb-jonathan-vilma-sues-nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-for-defamation/2012/05/17/gIQAHCVhWU_blog.html?wprss=rss_football-insider"]New Orleans Saints LB Jonathan Vilma sues NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for defamation - The Insider - The Washington Post[/URL]

This could get interesting![/quote]

This is a move only a desperate man would make,makes beleive he's quilty.

gangstalicious 05-17-2012 07:48 PM

[quote=Giantone;917527]This is a move only a desperate man would make,makes beleive he's quilty.[/quote]

So him not doing anything about it makes him not guilty?

hooskins 05-17-2012 10:13 PM

I like it! Go for it.

redsk1 05-17-2012 10:52 PM

Good for him. Suspending coaches...i somewhat understand. Suspending players...i don't get. Goodell is running the NFL like a dictatorship. He's supposed to work for the owners. I don't think Vilma was the leader of an organized pay for injury defense.

EARTHQUAKE2689 05-17-2012 11:00 PM

[quote=redsk1;917552]Good for him. Suspending coaches...i somewhat understand. Suspending players...i don't get. Goodell is running the NFL like a dictatorship. He's supposed to work for the owners. I don't think Vilma was the leader of an organized pay for injury defense.[/quote]

so you don't believe in suspending the guys that went through with the bounty?

Ruhskins 05-18-2012 12:16 AM

I swear, sometimes NFL fans baffle me.

You get situations where a player (who was being modestly paid by their team) overachieves on the field and demands to get paid more...the fan reaction is to berate the player, tell him to suck it up and that he should play his contract.

Then you get some moron (yes, he is a moron) who gets identified by a lengthy and probably thorough investigation on bounties. Basically says that he doesn't care about the accusations....the fan reaction is treat him like he's some type of victim.

Giantone 05-18-2012 04:23 AM

[quote=gangstalicious;917528]So him not doing anything about it makes him not guilty?[/quote]

AS someone else said go throught the process.Goodell is a lawyer and he has a boat load working for him he knows what he can say and can't.Had Vilma gone to the NFL when they contacted all the players who are envolved and responded like a grown up maybe he could have found out what evidence they have.He and the others ignored the calls by the NFL and now it is what it is.Goodell did'nt just make this up...people came foward,players came forward,the team was told to do something about it multiple times,sorry I believe Rodger would'nt have done a whole year suspention had he not had proof.

Giantone 05-18-2012 04:25 AM

[quote=Ruhskins;917562]I swear, sometimes NFL fans baffle me.

You get situations where a player (who was being modestly paid by their team) overachieves on the field and demands to get paid more...the fan reaction is to berate the player, tell him to suck it up and that he should play his contract.

Then you get some moron (yes, he is a moron) who gets identified by a lengthy and probably thorough investigation on bounties. Basically says that he doesn't care about the accusations....the fan reaction is treat him like he's some type of victim.[/quote]

...or worse , a hero.

hooskins 05-18-2012 07:56 AM

Vilma claims he wasn't given enough evidence. We will see what comes out.

Also, Vilma is being made a huge scapegoat in this whole mess. His name is completely tarnished, despite numerous other current players who have done this.

I'm against bounties and all about player safety but I don't like the way the league has gone about this. It's very reactive, not proactive, to cover their rears. They don't give a crap about player safety. If they did they would do more impactful things, like shorten the season. Burning Vilma at the stake, for something a lot have done, is just negative reinforcement.

MTK 05-18-2012 08:52 AM

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/18/first-fight-in-vilma-suit-likely-will-arise-under-cba/]First fight in Vilma suit likely will arise under CBA | ProFootballTalk[/url]

CrustyRedskin 05-18-2012 09:33 AM

Go get him Vilma!! I heard Vilma's even got Jackie Chiles representing him!! Godell your azz is grass!!

BigHairedAristocrat 05-18-2012 09:49 AM

[quote=hooskins;917573]Vilma claims he wasn't given enough evidence. We will see what comes out.

Also, Vilma is being made a huge scapegoat in this whole mess. His name is completely tarnished, despite numerous other current players who have done this.

I'm against bounties and all about player safety but I don't like the way the league has gone about this. [B]It's very reactive, not proactive, to cover their rears. They don't give a crap about player safety. [/B]If they did they would do more impactful things, like shorten the season. Burning Vilma at the stake, for something a lot have done, is just negative reinforcement.[/quote]

I completely disagree with with this statement. I think the league has been increasing emphasis on player safety for years. besides countless changes to rules, the NFL tried to put an end to bounties when they first heard of it. unfortunately, the team and PLAYERS lied to the league and continue the practice.

your suggestion to shorten the season is ridiculous and would never work. a shortened season means less revenue, which means less money, not just for the league, but also the players. do you think the players would go for a shortened season if it meant they made less money than they did currently?

also, your argument about them singling out vilma is silly. alot of teams may have been doing it, but the saints got caught. twice. they lied about it the first time and continued the practice. when they got caught again, they deseredly got the hammer down on them. if the leage didnt make an example out of those they caught, all the other teams and players would have no deterrent against using bounty systems themselves.