Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins at Bears Post Game Thoughts (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=48861)

SmootSmack 08-18-2012 11:40 PM

Redskins at Bears Post Game Thoughts

Post them here

CRedskinsRule 08-18-2012 11:42 PM

heath meet bob
gus meet kirk
gus stop telling kirk to head butt the wall

NC_Skins 08-18-2012 11:43 PM

Re: Redskins at Bears Post Game Thoughts

Kirk Cousins will be battling for the QB starting position( by the media) by the end of this week.

Briscoe and Robinson looked good along with Cousins. Hard to say anybody on the 1st team offense or defense was good. Kudos to Banks for being the lone bright spot tonight.

DynamiteRave 08-18-2012 11:43 PM

I'm glad we didn't get blown out, I was worried there for awhile.

RGIII shows that he's still a rookie. But he can only get better. I don't expect a Cam Newton-esque regular season from him but I still think it'll be good.

Sans leash.

EARTHQUAKE2689 08-18-2012 11:45 PM

Aldrick Robinson and Kirk Cousins making serious moves. I have liked Aldrick Robinson since his SMU days

redskins5044 08-18-2012 11:48 PM

RG3 will not be benched over Cousins in the Shannahan reign here, he is married to him. RG3 gets the benefit of two coaching staffs before he is done in Washington. Cousins may turn into a good QB but won't be able to show his talent unless Bob gets hurt.

DynamiteRave 08-18-2012 11:50 PM

[quote=redskins5044;931831]RG3 will not be benched over Cousins in the Shannahan reign here, he is married to him. RG3 gets the benefit of two coaching staffs before he is done in Washington. Cousins may turn into a good QB but won't be able to show his talent unless Bob gets hurt.[/quote]

I dunno who thinks Cousins would be in over RGIII barring injury. RGIII is the franchise guy unless he proves himself to be a Ryan Leaf type bust.

redskins5044 08-18-2012 11:53 PM

[QUOTE=DynamiteRave;931832]I dunno who thinks Cousins would be in over RGIII barring injury. RGIII is the franchise guy unless he proves himself to be a Ryan Leaf type bust.[/QUOTE]

Some fans will when RG3 has his struggles during the year.

CultBrennan59 08-18-2012 11:55 PM

My thoughts

Cousins is starting up the QB controversy

Brandon Banks is still going to get cut--its the same thing every year; return a kickoff/punt for a TD make the team and don't return anything for a TD during the season.

Alfred Morris is another great Shanahan back

Briscoe is making the team

Niles Paul had a crucial drop that stuck out to me more than his TD catch

Cedric Griffin got burned all night--no surprise there

Our OL is a bigger weakness than our secondary.

SmootSmack 08-19-2012 12:02 AM

Cousins looked very sharp, still want him to be #3 for this year. But, as a long time advocate of getting two young QBs here I'm glad we now have them.

RG3 needs to focus some more on his ball security when he's on the move

Briscoe and Robinson extended the gap between them and Banks, AA, Austin for the #5 and #6 spots.

Paulsen's making a case to be on the roster. Would almost say he's a lock

Nickle cornerback is a concern. Someone needs to claim it

Dirtbag59 08-19-2012 12:05 AM

[quote=DynamiteRave;931829]I'm glad we didn't get blown out, I was worried there for awhile.

[B]RGIII shows that he's still a rookie. But he can only get better. I don't expect a Cam Newton-esque regular season from him but I still think it'll be good. [/B]

Sans leash.[/quote]

I personally do expect him to have a similar season. I get the feeling that right now they're holding A LOT back. When the regular season starts we probably won't recognize a lot of the offense.

Of course we'll probably start hearing about Cousins in the near future.

redskins5044 08-19-2012 12:14 AM

[QUOTE=CultBrennan59;931834]My thoughts

Cousins is starting up the QB controversy

Brandon Banks is still going to get cut--its the same thing every year; return a kickoff/punt for a TD make the team and don't return anything for a TD during the season.

Alfred Morris is another great Shanahan back

Briscoe is making the team

Niles Paul had a crucial drop that stuck out to me more than his TD catch

Cedric Griffin got burned all night--no surprise there

Our OL is a bigger weakness than our secondary.[/QUOTE]

Right here it has already started.

CultBrennan59 08-19-2012 12:16 AM

Whats the latest on Orakpo and Merriweather ?

DynamiteRave 08-19-2012 12:22 AM

[quote=Dirtbag59;931836]I personally do expect him to have a similar season. I get the feeling that right now they're holding A LOT back. When the regular season starts we probably won't recognize a lot of the offense.

Of course we'll probably start hearing about Cousins in the near future.[/quote]

I sure hope so. It'd be nice to see RGIII live up to all of the hype. In fact, I hope he has a better season than Cam did, but damn that'd be hard.

And people who think Cousins > RGIII needs to stop sniffing glue. Cousins will probably be starting material in a few years, but it won't be here.

punch it in 08-19-2012 12:28 AM

[quote=CultBrennan59;931839]Whats the latest on Orakpo and Merriweather ?[/quote]

This should be the only concern after pre season week 2.........Not a qb controversy - do you know what RG-3 would have done to the second team defense?? -

JoeRedskin 08-19-2012 12:30 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;931835]...]Nickle cornerback is a concern. Someone needs to claim it.[/quote]

I thnk Crawford is attempting to throw his hat into that particular ring.

Agree with Paulson making the team. From Shanny's comments, I am thinking you have nailed it as to Robinson and Briscoe.

If Paulson makes the team, who goes - Paul or Cooley?

Dirtbag59 08-19-2012 12:32 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;931842]I thnk Crawford is attempting to throw his hat into that particular ring.

Agree with Paulson making the team. From Shanny's comments, I am thinking you have nailed it as to Robinson and Briscoe.

If Paulson makes the team, who goes - Paul or Cooley?[/quote]

Paul. Sorry but the guy can't catch and when you're an undersized TE that was converted from WR thats priority number 1. I'm pretty sure he's a decent blocker but if blocking is his saving grace he'll loose when compared to Paulsen.

GMScud 08-19-2012 12:33 AM

[quote=CultBrennan59;931839]Whats the latest on Orakpo and Merriweather ?[/quote]

I heard on the radio that Orakpo has a shoulder strain with an MRI coming, but Lorenzo Alexander said he heard it was scar tissue and nothing serious from the torn pectoral from last year. I guess the one man gang is an orthopedist now?

And Merriweather is still the ambiguous "knee strain." Could be nothing, could be done for the year.

SmootSmack 08-19-2012 12:50 AM

Someone wants Paul on this team, which is why he's moved to TE

punch it in 08-19-2012 12:55 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;931845]Someone wants Paul on this team, which is why he's moved to TE[/quote]

It is an experiment - a necessary one with Cooley a question mark, and Davis off the field trouble - if he keeps dropping balls it doesnt matter who wants him where

44ever 08-19-2012 01:14 AM

[quote=DynamiteRave;931832]I dunno who thinks Cousins would be in over RGIII barring injury. RGIII is the franchise guy unless he proves himself to be a Ryan Leaf type bust.[/quote]

I just want the guy who can play the best football at QB in. If thats RG3 great. If its Cousins thats good too. What I don't want is to wait around like we did for Campbell. Personally I think Cousins has the better look in the NFL over RG3 at the moment but its way to early to speculate. One thing is for sure, between the both of them, I think we finally have our QB problems behind us. HTTR!

JoeRedskin 08-19-2012 01:15 AM

[QUOTE=punch it in;931846]It is an experiment - a necessary one with Cooley a question mark, and Davis off the field trouble - if he keeps dropping balls it doesnt matter who wants him where[/QUOTE]

He had a couple of nice grabs. Sure he dropped a tough 3rd down catch, but I don't think he did killed his chances.

skinsfaninok 08-19-2012 01:21 AM

[QUOTE=44ever;931847]I just want the guy who can play the best football at QB in. If thats RG3 great. If its Cousins thats good too. What I don't want is to wait around like we did for Campbell. Personally I think Cousins has the better look in the NFL over RG3 at the moment but its way to early to speculate. One thing is for sure, between the both of them, I think we finally have our QB problems behind us. HTTR![/QUOTE]

It'll b rg3

skinsfanthru&thru 08-19-2012 01:26 AM

[quote=Dirtbag59;931843]Paul. Sorry but the guy can't catch and when you're an undersized TE that was converted from WR thats priority number 1. I'm pretty sure he's a decent blocker but if blocking is his saving grace he'll loose when compared to Paulsen.[/quote]

Plus Cooley has the added bonus of being able to slide into the fullback position in a pinch if an injury occurs.

SBXVII 08-19-2012 01:39 AM

Someone mentioned Paulson having done well to make the team. I was sure he did that last year when he filled in for Cooley. As good or atleast pretty darn close to as good as Davis. I figured our TE's would be Cooley, Davis, and Paulson, and can't for the life of me figure out why they are trying Paul at TE unless he really just sucks at WR and they are giving him one more shot with his size at another position. Paul should be cut, keep the other 3.

SBXVII 08-19-2012 01:45 AM

[quote=Dirtbag59;931843]Paul. Sorry but the guy can't catch and when you're an undersized TE that was converted from WR thats priority number 1. I'm pretty sure he's a decent blocker but if blocking is his saving grace he'll loose when compared to Paulsen.[/quote]

It seemed to me that Paulson blocked better then Cooley and Davis. As far as Paul being undersized as a TE, I might argue that statement. To me he seemed to have bulked up and I'd say he was either an over sized WR or someone better suited for the TE position, but as others have said he just is not catching anything and didn't as a WR either.

skinsfaninok 08-19-2012 01:49 AM

Paul won't be cut because of his upside, I'd be less surprised of paulsen is cut.. as for the qbs, cousins is balling so far but again it's against backups.. Robert is the guy no question about it.. it's honestly comical to think he won't be. Look at the bright side, we could be the jets rofl

SBXVII 08-19-2012 01:53 AM

Who is #74? I'm finally watching the game and he's been penalized twice for holding once in the 1st quarter and once at the start of the 2nd.

Skins4L 08-19-2012 01:55 AM

First of all the bears defense is solid. Peppers, Urlacher, Briggs all savvy vets who were all looking to expose the rookie in RG. The secondary in Chicago is overrated if rated too good at all so it sucks he couldnt find time or hurried himself. Hes fine theyll look at what he did on tape 95 times and it was experience. Its the 2nd preseason game of the season. RGs not going anywhere because we all know what light does...

Skins4L 08-19-2012 01:56 AM

Orak & Meriweather is the real issure. ORAK.. man we need him down the stretch.

saden1 08-19-2012 01:58 AM

Our defense has major holes in the defensive backfield and that Jim Haslett is a POS coordinator. If I could fire him right now I really would.

SBXVII 08-19-2012 02:10 AM

[quote=skinsfaninok;931853]Paul won't be cut because of his upside, I'd be less surprised of paulsen is cut.. as for the qbs, cousins is balling so far but again it's against backups.. Robert is the guy no question about it.. it's honestly comical to think he won't be. Look at the bright side, we could be the jets rofl[/quote]

I'd dissagree. Paul has no upside. He failed as a WR and now they are trying to move him to TE since they have so many decent (better) WR's. We all know Cooley is the man if he can stay healthy. Davis led the team in catches last year. Paulsen filled in admirably when Cooley went down. He blocked well and actually caught some decent passes.

I'd cut Paul and see which of the two Quinn or Reliford should be kept. Put them on the PS.

SBXVII 08-19-2012 02:13 AM

[quote=saden1;931857]Our defense has major holes in the defensive backfield and that Jim Haslett is a POS coordinator. If I could fire him right now I really would.[/quote]

We should all just settle down. We don't know what Haslett did with the defense tonight. He might have made them play man to man and no blitzing all night, or just didn't discuise his blitzes as he usually does in regular games.

sandtrapjack 08-19-2012 02:20 AM

[QUOTE=saden1;931857]Our defense has major holes in the defensive backfield and that Jim Haslett is a POS coordinator. If I could fire him right now I really would.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't the defense ranked in the top 5 last season under Haslett? And its the second PRESEASON game and you want to fire him? That's a tad extreme. Wouldn't you agree?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

SBXVII 08-19-2012 02:36 AM

Hell Theismann even said Paulsen is the biggest TE in the team, and watching his first catch and injuring a Bear in the collision is a keeper. Did Paul ever catch a ball tonight?

Dirtbag59 08-19-2012 02:56 AM

[quote=SBXVII;931852][B]It seemed to me that Paulson blocked better then Cooley and Davis. [/B]As far as Paul being undersized as a TE, I might argue that statement. To me he seemed to have bulked up and I'd say he was either an over sized WR or someone better suited for the TE position, but as others have said he just is not catching anything and didn't as a WR either.[/quote]

Well thats why Paulsen even made the team in the first place back in 2010. Skins were looking for a blocking TE when Shanny came to town, someone that could help on goal line situations as well as special teams and they found Paulsen. He's basically been a poor mans Jay Riemersma/Kyle Brady up to this point.

SBXVII 08-19-2012 03:12 AM

Okbi stand corrected after watching the whole game it was nice to see Paul get a TD, even if it was with second stringers. As others have said Brisco had a nice TD. Who else...Robertson/Robinson whatever his name is he caught a nice pass that was tipped for a TD.

OMG, Cousins better be the #2 QB on the roster. Let Grossman and Crompton battle it out. For no other reason Cousins can run with the ball, but also made good decisions.

Who is #92? Either he didn't do much, didn't play, or you guys are using his name instead of his number.

Swarley 08-19-2012 03:25 AM

I thought Paul looked pretty good once he settled down a bit in the second half. Cousins was great and Robinson looked really good too. The two of them seem to have some good chemistry going and it helps that Robinson can flat out book it.

tc2deuce 08-19-2012 03:34 AM

The offense looked to be wound tight and RGIII had issues with the O-line.
RGIII looked good in the short time he was out there and he seems comfortable with the offense/plays.
IMO a couple more reps and and RGIII and the O should be good to go.
Cousins impressed me with his composure in the pocket and his vision was well above the curve for a mid round draft pick.
Niles Paul is getting his feet wet and will be a nice weapon when he remembers how to catch all the time.
Worried about the secondary and of course the O-line.
RGII fumble was not a fumble by rule.
Alfred Morris looked good.
2nd half 8 minute mark RGIII displayed his 5th gear speed and WOW fellas!!!! that is going to scare defenses!!

That Guy 08-19-2012 04:18 AM

we're not keeping 8 WRs 4 TEs or 5 RBs, so not everyone is making it.

there is no QB controversy... at all. kirk was playing 2nd 3rd and 4th teamers. he played very well, but peppers was out of the game. campbell looked about as good against us until they pulled him.

why do people get so worked up over half speed meaningless games?

that said, a robinson looked good. L fletcher was sorely missed. kehl and c griffin looked bad, and our OL that was being annointed last week looked pretty awful here (no running room, 3 sacks on griffin). morris looked alright, but our OL's zone technique was terrible tonight. maybe they're not cutting/pinching/peeling in the pre season though.