Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   WWE legend Jerry "The King" Lawler reportedly brain dead after suffering heart attack live on the air (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=49276)

SolidSnake84 09-11-2012 07:02 PM

WWE legend Jerry "The King" Lawler reportedly brain dead after suffering heart attack live on the air

[url=http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/254377/UPDATEx9:-Jerry-Lawler-Reportedly-Collapses-at-Commentary-on-Raw.htm]411mania.com: Wrestling - UPDATEx14: Jerry Lawler Reportedly Collapses at Commentary on Raw[/url]

I figured that "other sports" can correlate to "wrestling", but if this is not the right place, then please move it.

Longtime WWE wrestler and commentator Jerry "The King" Lawler is reportedly brain dead after suffering a heart attack live on the air during Monday Night Raw, in Montreal Canada.

Jerry, 62, wrestled earlier in the night, and seemed fine at commentary along side Michael Cole. I was watching the show live and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary except for Lawler's voice got quieter and then he went totally silent.

During the next match, fans began to look over at the announce table and even the wrestlers kept looking to the outside of the ring. Jerry was bent over in his chair and appeared to be coughing, before falling onto the floor. It was reported by ringside fans that Lawler had turned totally blue while EMT's rushed over and started working on him.

One of the wrestlers said later in the night that Jerry had been clinically dead for over 20 minutes before being revived with defibulator paddles. The latest update has him in the hospital on a ventilator. He has not spoken or shown any signs of movement since the heart attack.

Various wrestling message boards and websites are stating that an un-named source, most likely a WWE official or WWE wrestler, is stating that Lawler was declared Brain-dead last night.

They said he initially responded to lights and such, but it is unclear if he slipped into a vegetative state later in the early morning.

Very sad, I've watched wrestling my whole life and have watched and heard "The King" for every Monday night for most of my life. Prayers go out to him now, and I hope it's not true that he's really brain-dead.

DynamiteRave 09-11-2012 07:06 PM

Re: WWE legend Jerry "The King" Lawler reportedly brain dead after suffering heart attack live on the air

Damn. I saw he wrestled earlier in the night with Orton.

I spent the better part of high school watching wrestling. Hadn't lately, but in my book King and JR will always be the best commentating duo.

F'ing sucks man.

skinsfanthru&thru 09-11-2012 07:07 PM

Re: WWE legend Jerry "The King" Lawler reportedly brain dead after suffering heart attack live on the air

Damn, I haven't followed wrestling in a while but that's unfortunate. That must have been terrifying for fans live at the venue, especially those nearby when he passed out.

SmootSmack 09-11-2012 08:54 PM

Where does it say anything about being brain dead?

HailGreen28 09-11-2012 09:19 PM

From the OP's link:

UPDATE x15: Stacy "The Kat" Carter posted the following via Facebook:

I have an update on Jerry. The docs are removing his ventilation & taking him out of sedation. He is responsive, which is great!!! It took a while to revive him last night so there's the concern of brain damage. He had some tests done which will show how much if any damage there is due to the lack of oxygen to his brain. Unfortunately, the results won't be in until in the morning. I appreciate all the calls, texts, tweets, & Facebook messages of support & I know Jerry will too. Thanks everybody!!

skinsfanthru&thru 09-11-2012 11:10 PM

Awesome news! Glad to hear he might be able to bounce back and hopefully for his sake it doesn't wind up being a situation like Michael Clarke Duncan where too much damage has been done from lack of oxygen.

SolidSnake84 09-12-2012 06:05 AM

We should know more today. It is a bit troubling to me that Lawler has reportedly not spoken at all since the incident, even during the time that he was awake after being revived and transported to the hospital. I hope if he suffered any damage it is minor, but being without oxygen for 20 minutes i would think would deal some serious damage.

If King does recover, I hope he never wrestles again. I don't believe for a second that wrestling caused it, as Jerry was very healthy, and lives a clean lifestyle (doesn't smoke or use drugs or drink). I understand the heart doesn't always give a warning sign.

But i don't wanna see Jerry in that ring ever again.