Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Finally some good news! (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=4928)

Schneed10 02-24-2005 12:09 PM

Re: Finally some good news!

Daseal, I disagree with you on the relative importance of Smoot. Walt Harris came in and did right nice when Springs went down. Don't forget, he was a starting CB for a while before he busted up his ACL in 2003. He started for the Bears and the Colts before that knee injury, and he was a first round pick of the Bears in 1996, 13th pick overall. The Redskins signed Harris to a deal with incentives based on playing time last year, knowing that they might lose Smoot. Harris is a hell of a corner, he's just been forgotten about because Peyton Manning overshadowed the D in Indy (had you heard much about Marcus Washington before the Redskins got him?) and because he had a busted knee.

Smoot is great and I love him to death, will be sorry to see him go. But Pierce is much more important on the D. Like Matty said, the dude is absolutely brilliant in football 101. You see him calling out adjustments before the snap all the time, running up and slapping the D-line's ass telling them to slide left, slide right. That's him recognizing formations and offensive tendencies thanks to film study and a diagnosing what he's seeing really quickly. You never saw Trotter doing that stuff with the Skins, and that likely was a big reason why the D was terrible. The Eagles have Dawkins to make those calls, that's why Trotter is successful in Philly, he doesn't have to think. We need Pierce to be the QB of the defense.

Now, Barrow filled that QB of the D role when he played for Williams previously. He is another real smart one. But Barrow's football intelligence doesn't do you much good if his knee won't let him on the field.

We need Pierce much more than Smoot.

dirtbag2112 02-24-2005 12:38 PM

I'm putting a sign up on my desk here at work:

'The beatings will continue until morale improves':frusty:

Funbunchfan 02-24-2005 01:57 PM

With Samuels now being willing to restructure and Pierce saying he wants to be in Washington things are starting to look up again. Ill tell you I was realy starting to become distraught there for a minute. As far as L C goes I feel he will be back in the burgandy and gold next year. I think the only way he wont be is if the Jets and Skins can reach an agreement for abraham which I personally would like to see. So that being said you never know what tommorrow will bring so I for one will continue to try and keep a positive outlook as hard as it may be at times. One thing does concern me now with the trade of Moss to the Raiders Minnesota now needs a wideout and that creates one more team who picks in front of us and will hinder our chances of drafting Edwards.

dirtbag2112 02-24-2005 02:46 PM

Vikings have Robinson, Campbell and Burleson... all solid recievers, not to mention the best QB behind Peyton Manning. They need to address their defense. Maybe they'll trade one of their four running backs for another wide out.

Schneed10 02-24-2005 03:15 PM

[QUOTE=dirtbag2112]Vikings have Robinson, Campbell and Burleson... all solid recievers, not to mention the best QB behind Peyton Manning. They need to address their defense. Maybe they'll trade one of their four running backs for another wide out.[/QUOTE]

Um, I'd take Tom Brady any day over Culpepper.

offiss 02-24-2005 04:32 PM

[QUOTE=Schneed10]Um, I'd take Tom Brady any day over Culpepper.[/QUOTE]

I would take a # of QB's over Culpepper.

celts32 02-24-2005 04:40 PM

The thing about Samuels is that he was always willing to restructure. It just took the deal out in Seattle for the Redskins to realize what the going rate is for a quality LT on the open Market. Samuels seems to have gotten a bad rap here with Redskins fans. His cap number is only high becasue he has previously helped the redskins cap out with restructurings. The only reason this thing has been tricky this time around is becasue as usual the Danny is attempting to lowball one of his own so that his pockets will be a little deeper when he gases up Redskins 1 next week...

Funbunchfan 02-24-2005 05:03 PM

can we put the danny on the trading block?