Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Top 10 Pick - Only By Position Needs (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=4932)

CRT3 02-24-2005 07:34 AM

Top 10 Pick - Only By Position Needs

SF - QB
Miami - QB or RB
Cleveland - QB or WR
Chicago - RB
Tampa - RB
Tennessee - WR or Corner]
Minnisotta - WR
Arizona - Saftey (They have Iffy)
Washington WR or DE
Detroit - TE or Saftey

drew54 02-24-2005 08:01 AM

Re: Top 10 Pick - Only By Position Needs

I could see a lot of these teams looking all over the board, and most of them just teaking the best available at their pick.

1. SF - QB, this is their most logical choice.
2. Miami - RB, Just cut Fiedler, may make a run at Garcia or Warner, Benson is thier man @2.
3.Cleveland - QB, WR, OT, CB, I think the Browns will be the team that sest the way the rest of the draft falls. They could trade down if a team wants to land a RB before Tampa Bay, or a DB to help get Romeo's D off on the right foot. But they really need a T like Alex Barron
4. Chicago - WR, CB, OT, Why would the Bears draft a RB this high when they have Thomas Jones. Probably a WR here or OT.
5. Tampa Bay - RB, WR, Gruden needs some young legs to "Pound that Rock." Plus Joey Galloway is a free agent, bad news for our chances of a wide out @ 9.
6. Tennessee - WR, CB, Titans just cut their top guy at these two positions. Plus Andre Dyson is a free agent.
7. Minnesota - WR, CB, Minnesota will almost definately take our WR off of the board.
8. Arizona - QB, RB, I think Denny Green might go ALex Smith if he is still here, or whoever is left from the top four RB, if no one is left he will draft defense.
9. Redskins - WR, TE Hopefuly a WR worth #9 is still here, if not maybe trade down of grab Heath Miller, plus he has that home town prospect fanfare.
10. Lions - OL, CB, I would think Mooch wants a lineman or maybe a colarbone bodyguarrd for Charles Rogers.

Hard to tell this early, we'll know bst after free agency shakes itself out.

MTK 02-24-2005 08:59 AM

I wouldn't bank on the Vikings taking a WR, they still need plenty of help on D and one of the reasons they were comfortable in letting Moss go was the development of Burleson.

skins009 02-24-2005 09:58 AM

Naw i don't think Williams or Edwards will be on the board when we pick. Which i think is a good thing. We should take a DE with out pick. Or trade downd and get Heath Miller and a second round pick.

Beemnseven 02-24-2005 10:14 AM

Yuck, all of the teams mentioned could use wide receivers. There'll be slim pickens' at that position when the Skins select at #9.

--I think Miami will go with a QB first and foremost.

--Cleveland needs help everywhere, but remember, Romeo Crennel is a defensive guy, so don't be surprised if they concentrate on their D.

--Da Bears need offensive help badly, I don't see them going for a RB, and they're depending on Rex Grossman -- so say goodbye to one of the top wideouts here. Although, you can never discount Chicago's recent knack for taking players they don't need, and Lovey Smith still loves defense. Hopefully we can count on them to screw up another draft this year.

--Tampa most likely goes for a RB, but Gruden wouldn't mind another WR to compliment Michael Clayton. Benson, Cadillac Williams, they've pretty much got the pick of the litter here and they could prove too good to pass up.

--Jeff Fischer loves defense too, so I could see them taking Antrel Rolle here. You also have to take into account the possibility of Steve McNair retiring. That could throw off their entire draft scenario, but I think I heard recently that McNair likely plays for at least one more season. One of the top wideouts could easily be snatched up by the Titans though.

--Arizona is probably the only team you can guarantee will not take a wideout. With Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin, plus their 2003 1st rounder Bryant Johnson rounds out a three-wideout threat Denny Green should be happy with. They could look at QB, but it'll likely be a running back and one of the top two prospects out of the backfield will still likely be available. But they also could go defense this year.

Never has a #9 pick looked so bleak for a team that needs help at one particular position.

Daseal 02-24-2005 10:23 AM

I think it's WAY too early. Lets see if anyone shoots to the top 10 thanks to combine workout - and free agency could change it all!

MTK 02-24-2005 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=Daseal]I think it's WAY too early. Lets see if anyone shoots to the top 10 thanks to combine workout - and free agency could change it all![/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Free agency will change many teams' needs. Plus we still have the combine and predraft workouts, so there is plenty of time for players stocks to rise and fall.

TheMalcolmConnection 02-24-2005 11:54 AM

When do the free agent signings start? March 2?

Daseal 02-24-2005 11:55 AM

I believe so Malcolm. I wouldn't be suprised to wake up the morning it starts to a guy putting on a new jersey and a Redskins cap.

TheMalcolmConnection 02-24-2005 11:58 AM

I wouldn't doubt it one bit myself and I hope that person is Derrick Mason. Now that HE is available, I like him the best of all the FA players available.

Beemnseven 02-24-2005 04:44 PM

I like Mason too, but I keep hearing how little we have in cap room to sign a free agent.

To all the cap experts here, what caliber player can we honestly expect get in free agency? Is there enough room to sign both a wideout like Derrick Mason and, say, a solid cornerback if/when Smoot leaves?

offiss 02-24-2005 04:59 PM

I see we are starting back on the Heath Miller nonesense again, I will say it again we do not have a major need for a TE that is the least of our problem's, and even if we needed a TE as if Cooley wasen't catching the ball better than any TE we have had since Didier we wouldn't be drafting Miller, Troy Williamson will be the guy he will be the player left, Minnesota will take William's, and Edward's will go top 5, if by some chance they are all gone when we pick and we trade down I will guarentee you BIG TIME HEATH will not be a player we draft in the first round.

MTK 02-24-2005 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=Beemnseven]I like Mason too, but I keep hearing how little we have in cap room to sign a free agent.

To all the cap experts here, what caliber player can we honestly expect get in free agency? Is there enough room to sign both a wideout like Derrick Mason and, say, a solid cornerback if/when Smoot leaves?[/QUOTE]

Getting Samuels to restructure is the key

CRT3 02-24-2005 05:04 PM

Beleive it or not I agree with you Offiss. Heath will not be picked by the Redskins. Expect a WR or a DE. But after March 2nd when FA starts we will probally know what and who they are looking at. Don't expect any late picks to pan out as our scouting department and Vinny have failed us in the past. They seem to make their 1st 2 picks count then fall to sleep. Charley Casserly and Bobby Beathered were great with the late picks. So we shall see.

Beemnseven 02-24-2005 05:34 PM

offiss, crt3 -- I agree completely.

Think of how many passes Chris Cooley caught. Comparitively, he was a safety valve for the most part, the last option for Ramsey. And he was a fixture on offense for most of last year.

Tight ends in Joe Gibbs' system simply do not catch many passes. H-backs generally contribute a little more with the passing game, but that's due mainly to the design of the offense. Tight ends are pure blockers in Gibbs' scheme. To spend such a high round draft pick on a guy like Heath Miller would be a complete waste.

Let it be perfectly clear to everyone who reads this: WE WILL NOT SELECT A TIGHT END IN THE FIRST ROUND. We probably won't until much later in the draft if we do at all, and that will only be a block-first type of TE. Those are readily available in undrafted free agency, too.

We are set with Cooley, Robert Royal, and Koslowski. Anybody else they pick up will be somebody you've never heard of, and probably still won't hear much of when the 2005 regular season starts.

SKINSnCANES 02-24-2005 05:52 PM

in the back of my mind Ive been putting Troy W. as the guy I want us to draft, but now with moss being traded he very well could be gone by 9 as well. There is something very good about this though, if a bunch of receivers jump up, that leaves a lot of those big name running backs, and a great opportunity for us to trade down and pick up some other picks

offiss 02-24-2005 11:28 PM

[QUOTE=SKINSnCANES]in the back of my mind Ive been putting Troy W. as the guy I want us to draft, but now with moss being traded he very well could be gone by 9 as well. There is something very good about this though, if a bunch of receivers jump up, that leaves a lot of those big name running backs, and a great opportunity for us to trade down and pick up some other picks[/QUOTE]

Now if everyone listened to me and we lost that last game we would have our choice of WR's :D now we have to hope 1 of them slides to us, but I do think Troy will make it to 9.

offiss 02-24-2005 11:34 PM

So long as Pak Man Jones is out there he just may be the player who deliver's us our WR the Titan's and the Vik's both need him, cleveland should be looking for a legititamate QB before they start looking for a WR to throw to but that's their decision.

SKINSnCANES 02-24-2005 11:48 PM

[QUOTE=CRT3]SF - QB
Miami - QB or RB
Cleveland - QB or WR
Chicago - RB
Tampa - RB
Tennessee - WR or Corner]
Minnisotta - WR
Arizona - Saftey (They have Iffy)
Washington WR or DE
Detroit - TE or Saftey[/QUOTE]

My guess:
SF - Definitly a QB
Miami - Benson, hands down. If they end up getting a free agent hb they will go QB here.
Cleveland - QB, or they take Pac Man because of the new definsive mindset
Chicago - Either Edwards or Brown.
Tampa - Whichever Chicago doesnt take
Tennessee - lots of needs here, i dont see them going receiver though. I think they had good depth at receiver even without mason. I think they take dan cody here. They are losing a lot on defense and didnt replace kearse last year.
Minnisotta - They do not take a receiver here, they have receiver but need defense. I would say they take Derrick Johnson here but they just got a line backer. They could use another but I think this is where Spears goes. they have good DTs but could use an end
Arizona - They also definitly dont take a receiver. Arizona take Carnell Williams with this pick.
Washington - Now, assuming there was no trading this leaves the redskins with their choice or Williams or Williamson. Definitly a great opportunity for us to trade down, but you dont factor trades in mock drafts usually. Im going to go out on a limb and say we also do not take a receiver. I think this will be addressed with a medicore player in free agency because gibbs doesnt need or want big name receivers. We take Erasmus James with this pick. He would be top five if he didnt have that injury a year ago. Hes got huge upside as a pass rusher.

offiss 02-25-2005 01:04 AM

[QUOTE=SKINSnCANES]My guess:
SF - Definitly a QB
Miami - Benson, hands down. If they end up getting a free agent hb they will go QB here.
Cleveland - QB, or they take Pac Man because of the new definsive mindset
Chicago - Either Edwards or Brown.
Tampa - Whichever Chicago doesnt take
Tennessee - lots of needs here, i dont see them going receiver though. I think they had good depth at receiver even without mason. I think they take dan cody here. They are losing a lot on defense and didnt replace kearse last year.
Minnisotta - They do not take a receiver here, they have receiver but need defense. I would say they take Derrick Johnson here but they just got a line backer. They could use another but I think this is where Spears goes. they have good DTs but could use an end
Arizona - They also definitly dont take a receiver. Arizona take Carnell Williams with this pick.
Washington - Now, assuming there was no trading this leaves the redskins with their choice or Williams or Williamson. Definitly a great opportunity for us to trade down, but you dont factor trades in mock drafts usually. Im going to go out on a limb and say we also do not take a receiver. I think this will be addressed with a medicore player in free agency because gibbs doesnt need or want big name receivers. We take Erasmus James with this pick. He would be top five if he didnt have that injury a year ago. Hes got huge upside as a pass rusher.[/QUOTE]

Don't see it SC, defiently a WR, not that I am against getting Jones it would be nice to swing a deal with Coles and land both that would make a trade with the Boy's ideal, they have the same need's as us I believe they will take Jones if he's available at 11, Parcell's know's he has to pressure the QB with his front 4 and he know's exactly how to use a player like Jones.

Daseal 02-25-2005 01:09 AM

Friend of mine who's a huge MN fan assures me that they're getting a receiver. He doesn't know if they're going via draft or via FA but said he is 95% sure they'll get someone to bolster their WR corps.

Rumor has it MN wants to trade Onterrio Smith for Patrick Surtain.

That Guy 02-25-2005 01:31 AM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection]I wouldn't doubt it one bit myself and I hope that person is Derrick Mason. Now that HE is available, I like him the best of all the FA players available.[/QUOTE]

mason is good, but he had some problems with butter fingers last year... I really think MM i the biggest playmaker FA (outside moss), but he wants more money than a rational team would willingly invest in a 32 year old... this isn't a great year to be going after a top rated WR with limited cap space and the 9th pick... and coles may not want to be here, but with the slim pickings I'd be surprised if we let him go and sat with the pick we have... kinda turned into a mess over the last week and the 2006 cap picture is going to look worse.

anyways, i think bucs go RB, we get some sort of answer to WR then look at DE then at C and depth at CB and do what we can to keep pierce around.

Mccants thrash and jacobs arent bad WRs, but if thats all we got next year, i think we'll be hurting...

SmootSmack 02-25-2005 01:36 AM

[QUOTE=That Guy]mason is good, but he had some problems with butter fingers last year... I really think MM i the biggest playmaker FA (outside moss), but he wants more money than a rational team would willingly invest in a 32 year old... this isn't a great year to be going after a top rated WR with limited cap space and the 9th pick... and coles may not want to be here, but with the slim pickings I'd be surprised if we let him go and sat with the pick we have... kinda turned into a mess over the last week and the 2006 cap picture is going to look worse.

anyways, i think bucs go RB, we get some sort of answer to WR then look at DE then at C and depth at CB and do what we can to keep pierce around.

Mccants thrash and jacobs arent bad WRs, but if thats all we got next year, i think we'll be hurting...[/QUOTE]

TG, where have you been? World Tour?