Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Moss for Coles (merged) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=4946)

MTK 02-25-2005 09:10 AM

Moss for Coles?

[url="http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ny-spjets0224,0,5954589.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines"]http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ny-spjets0224,0,5954589.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines[/url]

I found this in newsday and it made me wonder, could the Jets be interested in swapping Moss for Coles?

Moss is apparently looking for an extension and the Jets are already bogged down trying to get other guys inked. And since the Jets were already looking for an upgrade at WR I think a deal like this could be right up both teams' alley.

What do you guys think? Would you be in favor of Moss for Coles straight up?

DCopper04 02-25-2005 09:15 AM

Re: Moss for Coles?

I would love that deal. It seems reasonable from both ends, I don't see why it couldn't happen. I guess it would depend on what the Jets' plan is for Moss. If they plan on keeping him around for the long haul, then I doubt this trade would go through. But if not, then it sounds like it could happen.

monk81 02-25-2005 09:18 AM

This sounds fairly interesting and workable..............

If Coles did get this deal will he complain about Curtis Martin handling the ball too much
:rolleyes:

dirtbag2112 02-25-2005 09:19 AM

I'd take it. Hate to see LC go, but I'll sign off on that trade.

SKINSnCANES 02-25-2005 09:32 AM

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!

That gives us a huge deep threat and a special teams players!!!

Oh, and what college did he go to and dominante at, I forget?!?!

Schneed10 02-25-2005 09:47 AM

No, this one doesn't make any sense to me. You trade Coles, take a huge cap hit this year, get a guy who is very similar in talent to Coles, and then sign him to an extension that would end up being more costly than what Coles was on the books for? Doesn't make any sense.

I'd rather have the Jets' 1st rounder, #26 overall. Time to start doing things the right way, build through the draft.

BrudLee 02-25-2005 09:48 AM

I doubt this deal will happen, but the acquisition of Moss would facilitate the release (or trade) of Morton also. More cap space for me!

redskinsskickazz 02-25-2005 10:00 AM

hey canuck maybe you can help me with this cause ive always been confused i hear all the time that a team cant trade someone because of the massive cap hit they would take does that meen the team getting the player takes little to no cap hit in getting him if so wouldnt that raise coles value the team getting him would get a great player at very little cap cost i meen if i could get coles under contract for the next five years and not have to count his signing bonus against my cap i would probably give up a little more (oh by the way i failed english miserably so i apolagize for the run on sentence)

Redskins_P 02-25-2005 10:12 AM

I'd do it. Maybe we can get a late round pick also. But I don't know.

Schneed10 02-25-2005 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=redskinsskickazz]hey canuck maybe you can help me with this cause ive always been confused i hear all the time that a team cant trade someone because of the massive cap hit they would take does that meen the team getting the player takes little to no cap hit in getting him if so wouldnt that raise coles value the team getting him would get a great player at very little cap cost i meen if i could get coles under contract for the next five years and not have to count his signing bonus against my cap i would probably give up a little more (oh by the way i failed english miserably so i apolagize for the run on sentence)[/QUOTE]

Essentially, you have to take a cap hit for whatever you pay a player. So, if you have a guy on your team, and you pay him his annual salary, you take that as a hit on your cap. If you trade a guy though, you're not paying his annual salary anymore, so you don't have to take that as a hit.

Signing bonuses are different though. If you give a guy a $10 million signing bonus on a 5-year contract, you don't have to take all $10 million of that against your cap in the first year. You can divide it up evenly over the life of the contract. So if the signing bonus is $10 million on a 5-year deal, you take $2 million against the cap each year.

If a player is traded after only one year of that contract, he still has 4 years left. And since you only counted $2 million of the signing bonus in year 1, you still have the other $8 million to go. Since you paid him the signing bonus, you have to take the remaining hit for it if you trade him. That means trading him after year 1 of the contract hits you with the remaining $8 million in year 2.

So if we trade Coles, the Jets will pay him his annual salary, so we can wipe that part off of our books. But since we paid him that $13 million bonus, and he has only played 2 years with us, we still have $9.28 million of it left to hit our cap this year.

The NFL has set up this system to reward teams for getting good value for their money from players, to prevent teams from overpaying for players and driving up player salaries. Without this system, you'd see a situation like in Baseball, where the Yanks & Red Sox sign everyone under the sun, while the Royals and Devil Rays can't afford anybody. Or worse, this could be the NHL, and player salaries could climb so high that teams would go bankrupt by trying to pay them, leading to labor strikes. The NFL system is the best in the sports world.

Schneed10 02-25-2005 10:25 AM

[QUOTE=redskinsskickazz]hey canuck maybe you can help me with this cause ive always been confused i hear all the time that a team cant trade someone because of the massive cap hit they would take does that meen the team getting the player takes little to no cap hit in getting him if so wouldnt that raise coles value the team getting him would get a great player at very little cap cost i meen if i could get coles under contract for the next five years and not have to count his signing bonus against my cap i would probably give up a little more (oh by the way i failed english miserably so i apolagize for the run on sentence)[/QUOTE]

And yes, you're right. If Coles gets traded to the Jets, they will only have to count his base salaries against their cap. Which amount to:

2005: $1.5 million
2006: $3.0 million
2007: $3.0 million
2008: $5.0 million
2009: $6.0 million

Those cap figures are an absolute bargain for someone of Coles' ability. The Redskins know this, and will ask for a 1st rounder and might get it. The only thing that may hurt the 'Skins position in trade talks is the toe, people may be nervous about it. So I'd expect a 2nd rounder, but a 1st rounder isn't out of the question, since 3 teams are expected to be interested.

htownskinfan 02-25-2005 10:26 AM

that article said the jets were looking for a receiver to play opposite Justin McCareins,and Moss would be a reserve,if the jets want to move him to a reserve role then they obviously think he's not the guy,why would we want him? We need a starter

redskinsskickazz 02-25-2005 10:27 AM

thanks for the response that clears it up so if we pay all of coles bonus that will signifigantly increase coles value in a trade

SmootSmack 02-25-2005 10:28 AM

The Jets are apparently a heavy favorite for Derrick Mason, who would reunite with his Titans OC Mike Heimerdinger

skin4Life28 02-25-2005 10:58 AM

I'd take this in a heartbeat since I wanted him here, but we took Gardner instead ahead of him in the draft.