Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Observations from Tampa & Raymond James Stadium (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=49581)

Paintrain 10-01-2012 11:36 AM

Observations from Tampa & Raymond James Stadium

Forgive the self indulgent post, I was going to put this in the Postgame thread but it ended up being long and I figured on a victory Monday I may get some mercy from the crowd..

My wife and I drove over to Tampa from Ft. Lauderdale for the game this weekend and had an incredible trip..

First we coincidentally ended up staying at the same hotel as the team so as we were checking in Saturday afternoon I saw Hall, Paul, LoAx, Morris, Fletcher, Merriweather, Kerrigan, Banks, Sonny and a few other players that I didn't recognize. Also saw Mike Sellars who lives in the area and came to visit. I'm not an autograph/picture guy so we just people watched and I just pointed out some of the players to my wife who is new to football and the Redksins..

The only picture I took was with D. Hall because I've got friend who can't stand him so I texted him the pic. He immediately replied, 'That's the tightest coverage Hall has had all year!'. Saturday evening the Mrs. and I had dinner at the same restaurant as Morris and the DB group so I pointed out a few more players to her. I'm not a star struck type of person but it was cool seeing so many players in a casual environment.

At the stadium, it was probably about 1/3 Redskins fans.. The section we were in was pretty heavily Redskins fans so my perception may be a little skewed. Let me say this, RG3 gets it. When the team came out of the tunnel, he came down to the corner of the endzone where a bulk of Skins fans were, did his prayer and then pointed in acknowledgement to the sections of Skins fans.

Watching him in person is electric. I lived in Atlanta during the early Vick years and attended a bunch of games when he was starting out, let me tell you, Griffin is light years ahead of where Vick ever was. His poise is impressive, his speed on the field sets him apart from other players and his ball has some serious zip. The difference between his passes and Freeman's were noticeable. I was talking with a Bucs fan behind us and he was loving/envying RG3 all game long. Our seats were at the front of the endzone where Griffin scored his rushing TD and led the game winning drive. I've got a decent cell phone video of his TD that I might post if I get time.

Needless to say we were riding high early and stressing late but the comeback was incredible to experience live. You just felt that he was going to lead the team back. After his run, it really felt like half the stadium was chanting RG3! RG3! RG3! I haven't had a chance to watch the broadcast so I'm not sure if it was audible or not. Either way, after Cundiff made the kick, the sections of Redskins fans went nuts.. HTTR being sung and chants of RG3 everywhere. Even walking out to the parking lot, the chants and song were heard outside the stadium from those still inside.

It was a great time and this was the 2nd NFL game for my wife, her first was the Redskins/Dolphins game here last year where all she said afterwards was 'I love you but your team is kinda sorry' but all she talked about on the ride back was that now she is a full on Redskins fan. HTTR!

mredskins 10-01-2012 11:53 AM

Re: Observations from Tampa & Raymond James Stadium

[quote=Paintrain;947752]Forgive the self indulgent post, I was going to put this in the Postgame thread but it ended up being long and I figured on a victory Monday I may get some mercy from the crowd..

My wife and I drove over to Tampa from Ft. Lauderdale for the game this weekend and had an incredible trip..

First we coincidentally ended up staying at the same hotel as the team so as we were checking in Saturday afternoon I saw Hall, Paul, LoAx, Morris, Fletcher, Merriweather, Kerrigan, Banks, Sonny and a few other players that I didn't recognize. Also saw Mike Sellars who lives in the area and came to visit. I'm not an autograph/picture guy so we just people watched and I just pointed out some of the players to my wife who is new to football and the Redksins..

The only picture I took was with D. Hall because I've got friend who can't stand him so I texted him the pic. He immediately replied, 'That's the tightest coverage Hall has had all year!'. Saturday evening the Mrs. and I had dinner at the same restaurant as Morris and the DB group so I pointed out a few more players to her. I'm not a star struck type of person but it was cool seeing so many players in a casual environment.

At the stadium, it was probably about 1/3 Redskins fans.. The section we were in was pretty heavily Redskins fans so my perception may be a little skewed. Let me say this, RG3 gets it. When the team came out of the tunnel, he came down to the corner of the endzone where a bulk of Skins fans were, did his prayer and then pointed in acknowledgement to the sections of Skins fans.

Watching him in person is electric. I lived in Atlanta during the early Vick years and attended a bunch of games when he was starting out, let me tell you, Griffin is light years ahead of where Vick ever was. His poise is impressive, his speed on the field sets him apart from other players and his ball has some serious zip. The difference between his passes and Freeman's were noticeable. I was talking with a Bucs fan behind us and he was loving/envying RG3 all game long. Our seats were at the front of the endzone where Griffin scored his rushing TD and led the game winning drive. I've got a decent cell phone video of his TD that I might post if I get time.

Needless to say we were riding high early and stressing late but the comeback was incredible to experience live. You just felt that he was going to lead the team back. After his run, it really felt like half the stadium was chanting RG3! RG3! RG3! I haven't had a chance to watch the broadcast so I'm not sure if it was audible or not. Either way, after Cundiff made the kick, the sections of Redskins fans went nuts.. HTTR being sung and chants of RG3 everywhere. Even walking out to the parking lot, the chants and song were heard outside the stadium from those still inside.

I[B]t was a great time and this was the 2nd NFL game for my wife, her first was the Redskins/Dolphins game here last year where all she said afterwards was 'I love you but your team is kinda sorry' but all she talked about on the ride back was that now she is a full on Redskins fan. [/B] HTTR![/quote]

That is awesome! RGIII is my only chance to get my son (4) now to be a Skins fan he is all about the Ravens; we live in B-more.

skinsfaninok 10-01-2012 11:56 AM

Great story man! HAIL

12thMan 10-01-2012 12:02 PM

Awesome story, Pain. That's great and great your wife got to share that with you.

MTK 10-01-2012 12:03 PM

Looked like a lot of Skins fans in attendance. Pretty cool to hear another RG3 chant while on the road. Must be a lot of Skins fans in the area too. When I was on vacation in Clearwater earlier this year whenever I wore Skins gear I would get comments. Everyone was geeked about RG3 even back then.

NYCskinfan82 10-01-2012 12:08 PM

Good stuff, I was going to start a new thread but I'll ask this question. Do we have better WR's now or is Ike Hillard a better WR coach than Keenan McCardell.

Monkeydad 10-01-2012 12:13 PM

Great review. You may not have been aware of this since you were in the seats, but apparently, the Bucs stadium crew pulled the plug on RG3's headset for that last drive. That was ALL him.

[url=http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--rg3-brushes-off-headset-malfunction-in--skins--win--santana-moss-suspects-bucs-sabotage.html]RG3 brushes off headset malfunction in 'Skins' win; Santana Moss suspects Bucs sabotage - Yahoo! Sports[/url]

CRedskinsRule 10-01-2012 01:02 PM

[quote=NYCskinfan82;947765]Good stuff, I was going to start a new thread but I'll ask this question. Do we have better WR's now or is Ike Hillard a better WR coach than Keenan McCardell.[/quote]

The simple answer is we have a better qb.

I was a big hater of one receiver coach back when I first joined, and still think he hung around way too long. But the difference an accurate qb makes has to be night and day, if nothing else because receivers and coaches don't look at the tape wondering if it was the qb or wr at fault. Not to say Griffin doesn't make bad throws, but it's got to be easier when the qb is consistent with where his target is going to be.

Ruhskins 10-01-2012 01:27 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;947782]The simple answer is we have a better qb.

I was a big hater of one receiver coach back when I first joined, and still think he hung around way too long. But the difference an accurate qb makes has to be night and day, if nothing else because receivers and coaches don't look at the tape wondering if it was the qb or wr at fault. Not to say Griffin doesn't make bad throws, but it's got to be easier when the qb is consistent with where his target is going to be.[/quote]

I think on top of better QB, we also have better receivers. But QB is of course the difference maker.

htownskinfan 10-01-2012 01:30 PM

[quote=Paintrain;947752]Forgive the self indulgent post, I was going to put this in the Postgame thread but it ended up being long and I figured on a victory Monday I may get some mercy from the crowd..

The only picture I took was with D. Hall because I've got friend who can't stand him so I texted him the pic. He immediately replied, [B][I]'That's the tightest coverage Hall has had all year!'. [/I][/B]Saturday evening the Mrs. and I had dinner at the same restaurant as Morris and the DB group so I pointed out a few more players to her. I'm not a star struck type of person but it was cool seeing so many players in a casual environment.

It was a great time and this was the 2nd NFL game for my wife, her first was the Redskins/Dolphins game here last year where all she said afterwards was 'I love you but your team is kinda sorry' but all she talked about on the ride back was that now she is a full on Redskins fan. HTTR![/quote]

That comment is hilarious
What'd you think of the pirate ship?
I saw someone cutting it down,I always thought it would be pretty cool to watch a game from it

Paintrain 10-01-2012 02:21 PM

[quote=htownskinfan;947793]That comment is hilarious
What'd you think of the pirate ship?
I saw someone cutting it down,I always thought it would be pretty cool to watch a game from it[/quote]

You know, I actually think it's pretty cool. I've been to Ray-J a few times before and sat near it once. It is unique which I like and is probably a lot of fun to watch the game from.

RGIII 10-01-2012 02:25 PM

You knew damn well the team was staying at that hotel ;)

Paintrain 10-01-2012 02:34 PM

[quote=RGIII;947822]You knew damn well the team was staying at that hotel ;)[/quote]

Lol, I had no clue.. We walked in and I looked to my left and thought, damn, that guy looks like Lorenzo Alexander.. And that guy looks like Brandon Merriweather.. Wait a minute, that's DeAngelo Hall getting off the elevator! It literally was like bam, bam, bam before it clicked that it was the team hotel. There were also 2 weddings going on so the lobby was jammed with people so if I didn't know those players we probably wouldn't have even known they were staying there.

Lots of fanboys in the lobby though getting autographs and pictures. A couple of ladies were lingering about as well. My wife asked 'are those players wives or girlfriends?' I said, 'Uh no babe, those are groupies.' Gave me a chance to peek though, lol.

BDBohnzie 10-01-2012 02:49 PM

I was listening on the radio late in the 4th quarter and you could audibly hear the RGIII chants in the stadium.

Sounds like a great experience. Thanks for sharing!

RGIII 10-01-2012 03:00 PM

[quote=Paintrain;947827]Lol, I had no clue.. We walked in and I looked to my left and thought, damn, that guy looks like Lorenzo Alexander.. And that guy looks like Brandon Merriweather.. Wait a minute, that's DeAngelo Hall getting off the elevator! It literally was like bam, bam, bam before it clicked that it was the team hotel. There were also 2 weddings going on so the lobby was jammed with people so if I didn't know those players we probably wouldn't have even known they were staying there.

Lots of fanboys in the lobby though getting autographs and pictures. A couple of ladies were lingering about as well. My wife asked 'are those players wives or girlfriends?' I said, 'Uh no babe, those are groupies.' Gave me a chance to peek though, lol.[/quote]

Me? I would've knowingly had my wedding and reception at the team's hotel. 'Oh honey, Look! The Skins are here too. What a coincidence.' [at the church].

skinsfaninok 10-01-2012 03:10 PM

[quote=Mattyk;947764]Looked like a lot of Skins fans in attendance. Pretty cool to hear another RG3 chant while on the road. Must be a lot of Skins fans in the area too. When I was on vacation in Clearwater earlier this year whenever I wore Skins gear I would get comments. Everyone was geeked about RG3 even back then.[/quote]

It's been like that all year on the road iN STL there were a lot of skins fans that showed up. Griff is making us that noticeable again.

Hog1 10-01-2012 05:25 PM

[quote=Mattyk;947764]Looked like a lot of Skins fans in attendance. Pretty cool to hear another RG3 chant while on the road. [B] Must be a lot of Skins fans in the area too[/B]. When I was on vacation in Clearwater earlier this year whenever I wore Skins gear I would get comments. Everyone was geeked about RG3 even back then.[/quote]
Surprisingly, there are a lot of Skins fans in S Fl. Ray J is a cool place to see a game. Fans are cool. The Cannon only pisses you off if you're on the receiving end of a loss......

Dirtbag59 10-01-2012 06:23 PM

I gotta ask, what hotel did you stay at? I'm curious to see what kind of accommodations the guys get on the road.

los panda 10-01-2012 06:33 PM

[quote=Dirtbag59;947916]I gotta ask, what hotel did you stay at? I'm curious to see what kind of accommodations the guys get on the road.[/quote]most stayed at a holiday inn express, cundiff and a few others slept on the bus

HailGreen28 10-01-2012 07:21 PM

[quote=los panda;947918]most stayed at a holiday inn express, [B]cundiff and a few others slept on the bus[/B][/quote]Is this normal for NFL players, even for the "poor" six-figure incomes? Seems like a good night's sleep would be important...

edit: If a joke flew over my head, alright.

los panda 10-01-2012 07:23 PM

[quote=HailGreen28;947927]Is this normal for NFL players, even for the "poor" six-figure incomes? Seems like a good night's sleep would be important...

edit: If a joke flew over my head, alright.[/quote]i was going to say i hope you're joking w me because i was joking

HailGreen28 10-01-2012 07:28 PM

[quote=los panda;947928]i was going to say i hope you're joking w me because i was joking[/quote]Well, I figured if Carlos Rogers was actually in debt living in Jason Campbell's basement WHILE PLAYING for the Skins, and other eccentricities of player's lifestyles, then sleeping on the bus was possible....

:embarrass

OK shutting up now. lol

gangstalicious 10-01-2012 07:28 PM

Great story! I was pretty calm for most the game, but I was basically yelling at my screen in the 4th Q! ahaha

los panda 10-01-2012 07:30 PM

[quote=HailGreen28;947931]Well, I figured if Carlos Rogers was actually in debt living in Jason Campbell's basement WHILE PLAYING for the Skins, and other eccentricities of player's lifestyles, then sleeping on the bus was possible....

:embarrass

OK shutting up now. lol[/quote]pretty sure the team pays travel expenses, even if not, they should be tax deductible.

That Guy 10-01-2012 08:09 PM

teams pay for travel and lodging. i'm 99.999999% sure of that.

Paintrain 10-01-2012 09:12 PM

[quote=Dirtbag59;947916]I gotta ask, what hotel did you stay at? I'm curious to see what kind of accommodations the guys get on the road.[/quote]

It was a Marriott. Very nice hotel (on their higher end) but as someone who travels for a living it wasn't 5 star or anything. Last time I was in Tampa (earlier this year) I stayed at the Intercontinental which was a nicer property but further away from the stadium.

Most pro teams stay at a Westin, Marriott or Hyatt level hotels on the road.

punch it in 10-01-2012 09:19 PM

[quote=Paintrain;947752]

The only picture I took was with D. Hall because I've got friend who can't stand him so I texted him the pic. He immediately replied, 'That's the tightest coverage Hall has had all year!'.
[/quote]

That is really funny.
Sounds like an incredible time - especially with the win. Awesome. I would love to see that video maybe you already posted it but I havent made it through this first post yet.
HTTR

WilbursHomie 10-01-2012 09:58 PM

[QUOTE=Paintrain;947827]Lol, I had no clue.. We walked in and I looked to my left and thought, damn, that guy looks like Lorenzo Alexander.. And that guy looks like Brandon Merriweather.. Wait a minute, that's DeAngelo Hall getting off the elevator! It literally was like bam, bam, bam before it clicked that it was the team hotel. There were also 2 weddings going on so the lobby was jammed with people so if I didn't know those players we probably wouldn't have even known they were staying there.

Lots of fanboys in the lobby though getting autographs and pictures. A couple of ladies were lingering about as well. My wife asked 'are those players wives or girlfriends?' I said, 'Uh no babe, those are groupies.' Gave me a chance to peek though, lol.[/QUOTE]

Darn it. I was at the Town Plaza Marriot next door and they weren't there. Looks like I picked the crappy marriot. But in my defense, I was hammered. It was a great weekend though.