Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Skins close with Samuels (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=4987)

MTK 02-27-2005 06:57 PM

Skins close with Samuels

According to this article

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2000733"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2000733[/url]

[quote]Ironically, the Redskins are closer to a Samuels extension. Agent Jimmy Sexton and Washington negotiated Saturday, and the sense is that momentum is toward a new contract, one that might reward Samuels with the highest signing bonus in Redskins history.[/quote]

sportscurmudgeon 02-27-2005 07:06 PM

Re: Skins close with Samuels

Lavar is not going to like that...

Gmanc711 02-27-2005 08:03 PM

Highest Bonus in Skins' history??? DAMN! I dont know if he is worth somthing like that; if that is the case, his salary #'s better be pretty low for a long time. Were the Redskins so lets worry about now, and the future when it comes; so if thats what it takes to get him to restrucutre, so be it.

DCopper04 02-27-2005 08:40 PM

The signing bonus doesn't surprise me. Coles' bonus is currently the highest in team history at $13M. Seattle's tackle inked a deal with a $16M SB, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if Samuels got a bonus in the range of $14M.

wolfeskins 02-27-2005 09:00 PM

i'm not surprised either , samuels was suposed to get a salary of 9 mil. this year and 11 mil. next , so i say pay the man. he's already helped the team twice, this will be the third. the skins should reward him.

SmootSmack 02-27-2005 09:18 PM

I'm sure next year at this time we'll be talking about someone else getting the highest signing bonus in Redskins history...and the year after that someone else...and so on.

Shane 02-27-2005 09:52 PM

[QUOTE=wolfeskins]i'm not surprised either , samuels was suposed to get a salary of 9 mil. this year and 11 mil. next , so i say pay the man. he's already helped the team twice, this will be the third. the skins should reward him.[/QUOTE]

Chris Samuels is such tremendous player. To have Samuels and Jansen back and healthy, playing in a Joe Bugel coached line, we will be able to do some special things and it will make many other players a lot better.

monk81 02-27-2005 09:57 PM

[QUOTE=Shane]Chris Samuels is such tremendous player. To have Samuels and Jansen back and healthy, playing in a Joe Bugel coached line, we will be able to do some special things and it will make many other players a lot better.[/QUOTE]

We will have the bookend OT now just need a center and another guard.......they won't be the resurrection of the hogs, but I think Bugel and Gibbs can put together a solid line to make holes for Portis and to protect our pocket-passer QB, Ramsey.

Daseal 02-27-2005 09:59 PM

I don't think we need to replace Dockery. Give the kid a chance to grow. We always preach continuity and time, yet we always want to replace our young rookies. Dockery has made some VERY good plays, but he's also made some really stupid ones. He's young.

Shane 02-27-2005 10:02 PM

monk81 02-27-2005 10:02 PM

[QUOTE=Daseal]I don't think we need to replace Dockery. Give the kid a chance to grow. We always preach continuity and time, yet we always want to replace our young rookies. Dockery has made some VERY good plays, but he's also made some really stupid ones. He's young.[/QUOTE]

I'll trust Bugel's judgement..........but what I read they were concerned about Dockery's inconsistency, but who knows maybe Bugel will just work with him a little more and it will work out..And from what I've read, last year's offensive linemen we drafted were just backup material...........

MTK 02-27-2005 11:06 PM

Wasn't Samuels looking for about $15M for a bonus since that's what he stood to lose out on by restructuring?

Coles is the current title holder of the largest bonus in team history, Samuels should end up in the $13M-$15M range.

Schneed10 02-28-2005 10:29 AM

I personally feel like $15 million is too much for Chris Samuels. But, that's what left tackles are starting to go for these days, given what Walter Jones got from the Seahawks. He got $16 million, and given that Samuels has not made the Pro Bowl in a few years (and when he did he made it as an alternate and then earned a spot because Pace sat out with an injury), I can't see giving Samuels more than $14 million. But as I've said before, the Skins are pressed to get it done, even if it means overpaying a bit, because they need the flexibility against the salary cap.

It will be nice having Samuels and Jansen together, gives you great comfort about having an immobile Ramsey take seven-step drops. I just hope Samuels improves his play and justifies the $15 million or whatever he's rumored to be getting. He hasn't played up to his potential the last few years.

And by the way, it's too bad the Skins didn't accept the offer Samuels submitted in January. They're going to end up paying him more now than Samuels asked for in January, because of the huge contract Walter Jones just got.

hurrykaine 02-28-2005 10:57 AM

So let me get this straight - we can pay Samuels a 15 million bonus, but we can't afford to pay Smootie a $13 million bonus. It'd be interesting to have a poll on who we think is more valuable to the skins.

Despite greg williams having a brilliant scheme and all, I'd say Smootie is more important than Samuels - he's the emotional leader of the team. If Samuels restructures for a $15 million dollar bonus with minimal 2005 salary, that would reduce his 2005 cap number to $4 million at most, putting us atleast 11-12 million under this years cap - isn't this sufficient cap room to re-sign everyone we want? Smoot, Pierce, FAs, Rookie pool.?

Redskins_P 02-28-2005 11:01 AM

Hurrykaine, I think most here will agree that a left tackle is way more valuable than corner.

JoeRedskin 02-28-2005 11:13 AM

Also, because of the cap structure, the 15M "Bonus" to Samuels is simply paying him what's currently on his contract in salaries the next two years. By extending, we spread the 15M hit over 7 years (depending on a new CBA) instead of 2 years. So by giving Samuels a big SB but spreading it out, we actually lessen the amount of cap space he takes up. With Smoot, as he is an unrestricted free agent, anything he gets is new money against the '05 cap (Again, however, his SB would be spread out over the length of his contract).

MTK 02-28-2005 11:44 AM

If it came down to giving big money to Smoot or Samuels, I wouldn't even think twice about giving it to Samuels each and every time.

The defense finished 3rd overall last year, they're not the unit that's in need of improvement.

Losing a key cog to the offensive line would hurt us a hell of a lot more than losing a corner like Smoot. Last year we lost one of the top 3 corners in the league in Bailey, and we managed to survive just fine.

On the other hand just look at what happened when we lost one of our top lineman in Jansen last year. The offensive line was never quite the same as we shuffled the lineup week to week as pass protection suffered as did the run blocking.

Samuels is a top 10 left tackle, and with Gibbs' emphasis on running the football and protecting the QB, as the saying goes it all starts up front.

Samuels gets his share of criticism, and sometimes it is justified. He may never be mentioned in the same breath as Pace, Jones and Ogden, but he's right on the edge of that upper echelon and under Bugel he very well could regain his Pro Bowl form.

hurrykaine 02-28-2005 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=JoeRedskin]Also, because of the cap structure, the 15M "Bonus" to Samuels is simply paying him what's currently on his contract in salaries the next two years. By extending, we spread the 15M hit over 7 years (depending on a new CBA) instead of 2 years. So by giving Samuels a big SB but spreading it out, we actually lessen the amount of cap space he takes up. With Smoot, as he is an unrestricted free agent, anything he gets is new money against the '05 cap (Again, however, his SB would be spread out over the length of his contract).[/QUOTE]

Wait a min - you mean if we give Smoot a big signing bonus as part of a multi-year deal, we can't spread out the bonus over the length of the contract?

That Guy 02-28-2005 08:59 PM

here's how restructurings work... samuels has something like 15$mill of per year salary left, SO he NEEDS a 15$mil signing bonus in his new contract (you don't expect him to restructure and take a pay cut do you? all the money left on a contract as yearly salary generally ends up as a SB and the new contract not only pays out his remaining contract's money, it gives him more... if he didnt get the big pay day from the last years of his contract, he's going to expect them up front or else there's no reason to for him to sign)...

smoot is a different deal completely... he has no cap leverage over us this year and isn't being asked to restructure... he's asking for a completely new deal, so there' no expectation of how much he should get based on his current contract's yearly salary etc...

Its not really about smoot vs samuels, they're two different situations, and if samuels wasn't needed to lower his cap number and get rid of his insane yearly salary, i think his deal would be much different... restructurings tend to have higher signing bonuses though to make up for the loss of upcoming yearly money...

sportscurmudgeon 02-28-2005 09:21 PM

That Guy:

The reason Samuels number for next year is so high is because he has already resturcutred twice and "tyaken one for the team". Now, from his perspective, it is his turn and someone else needs to take one for the team so he can have his payday. He needs only sit there and make the squad next year to haul in some sizeabole coin. If you want him to give that up and take a base salary of only $500K and time up his rights for the next 6 years, you better be ready to lay some huge bread on the table.

In his circumstance with the leverage he has, here's what I would have told Danny Boy by this time:

You need to put a minimum of $15M up front if EVERYTHING else in the deal is what I want. If any other parts of the deal are "imperfect" the signing bonus is $18M or even $20M if the deal doesn't smell right to me - and it is in one lump sum not spread out over a couple of years so you can hose me over later on as you seem to be doing with LC as we speak. If all of that is unsuitable to you, I have a contract already and I certainly plan to folfill my end of the deal. I presume your checks won't bounce...