Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Samari or Freddy? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=4994)

offiss 02-28-2005 01:43 PM

Re: Samari or Freddy?

William's has coached both very closely and apparently he believes Rolle is the better player because he's the one pushing for him according to report's.

TheMalcolmConnection 02-28-2005 01:44 PM

I do trust Williams' judgement, but what is he thinking about Smoot? He thinks we should just let him go, no questions asked?! I hate to think that's how he would feel about him.

firstdown 02-28-2005 01:45 PM

I asked once but got no answer. Does anyone know how far apart the two sides are in signing Smoot?

Monksdown 02-28-2005 01:46 PM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection]I do trust Williams' judgement, but what is he thinking about Smoot? He thinks we should just let him go, no questions asked?! I hate to think that's how he would feel about him.[/QUOTE]
Sadly enough, it's not always about feelings. These guys are incredibly aggressive and confident business men.

TheMalcolmConnection 02-28-2005 01:46 PM

I don't think there's a real answer. We have one person saying that the Skins are NOT interested in acquiring Rolle suggesting that they might be resigning Smoot.

Monksdown 02-28-2005 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=firstdown]I asked once but got no answer. Does anyone know how far apart the two sides are in signing Smoot?[/QUOTE]
2-3 million I think

Redskins_P 02-28-2005 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=firstdown]I asked once but got no answer. Does anyone know how far apart the two sides are in signing Smoot?[/QUOTE]

firstdown, I don't think anyone knows. The whole thing is a mess right now.

TheMalcolmConnection 02-28-2005 01:50 PM

[QUOTE=Monksdown]2-3 million I think[/QUOTE]

What a nominal amount of money that is the deciding difference on whether you stay on your "beloved" team or go elsewhere.

DCopper04 02-28-2005 01:51 PM

I don't think we have enough information to know yet if this is a good move or a bad move. First off, the amount of money reportedly being offered to Rolle should not be a factor. $15 million compared to $14 million. Spread that out over 5 to 7 years, it's really not a big deal cap-wise. Second, we have no idea what types of negotiations took place concerning base salary and number of years, incentives, and voidable years. Smoot's demands may have been considerably higher than Rolle's. There may be other intangibles that we are unaware of; perhaps the front office believes Rolle will be more willing than Smoot to restructure his contract in a few years.

I agree that continuity is important. But at this point, there is way too much information that we don't know. It is impossible to know right now whether this move is good or bad.

Monksdown 02-28-2005 01:52 PM

I know they offered 10 million. And he wanted 14. They have both admitted to getting closer to a deal.

TheMalcolmConnection 02-28-2005 01:53 PM

I still want to cling onto the hope that I had from hearing his radio interview.

heybigstar 02-28-2005 01:57 PM

This move cant be good. we need continuity. Smoot laid his body out on the line last year. Samari Rolle played only 11 games which means one of two things:

1. He doesnt have as much heart as Smoot, with both being in their contract years, to play every game.

2. He had a bad injury, so he may be hitting the downside of his career.

Why shell out that much money for a new player to learn a new system again (Even though he has had GW)? This is insane ... l

long live smoot.

Potential Best Secondary in the league next year (CB1: Springs(2nd year in system) CB:2 (Smoot, team leader) FS: Sean Taylor (Most talented athlete in the league entering 2nd year, 1st as full time starter) SS Ryan Clark/Matt Bowen : With this secondary, they only need to do what their good at: lay down hits.

firstdown 02-28-2005 01:59 PM

If we are within 2to3 million we should work the deal and forget about Rolle. Smoot is still young and I think he will improve some over the next couple of years. With Rolle we do not know if he has peaked and is now starting to decline. Smoot has been here watching us over pay washed up player after player and if I was him I would want my due compensation. He maybe asking for a little much but we do know it won't be wasted money.

Monksdown 02-28-2005 01:59 PM

[QUOTE=heybigstar]This move cant be good. we need continuity. Smoot laid his body out on the line last year. Samari Rolle played only 11 games which means one of two things:

1. He doesnt have as much heart as Smoot, with both being in their contract years, to play every game.

2. He had a bad injury, so he may be hitting the downside of his career.

Why shell out that much money for a new player to learn a new system again (Even though he has had GW)? This is insane ... l

long live smoot.

Potential Best Secondary in the league next year (CB1: Springs(2nd year in system) CB:2 (Smoot, team leader) FS: Sean Taylor (Most talented athlete in the league entering 2nd year, 1st as full time starter) SS Ryan Clark/Matt Bowen : With this secondary, they only need to do what their good at: lay down hits.[/QUOTE]
I dont believe that the system will be new to Rolle. The first 3 years he spent in the NFL, he had Gregg Williams as his D coordinator.

Gregg Williams system is broken down like this for the Cornerbacks, cover your man, you will get little to no help, because we blitz our extra coverage guys.

diehardskin2982 02-28-2005 02:01 PM

Well... They said Springs was injury prone before he came here. Rolle has played for Williams before and he has personal ties to this defense in the coaching staff. The Safeties coach is a former teamate. I think he will fit in nicely with the skins. I don't really care about what he did in his personal life, everyone goes through tough times. I think he would come here to reunite with Williams and play on the #1 defense in the NFC. Smart players want to be on a team were the coach knows how to exploit their talents correctly, and Williams clearly knows how to do that. I hope we offered smoot around the same amount of money Then i would feel we tried to give smoot a chance to be on the team. the Corner position is clearly effected majorly by the defensive scheme, so to me it doesn't matter to me who we get. I just don't want us to overpay.