Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Debating with the enemy (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   The American Dream (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=49962)

saden1 10-24-2012 01:14 PM

The American Dream

What do you think it is and what does it mean to you?

NC_Skins 10-24-2012 07:10 PM

Re: The American Dream

[YT]acLW1vFO-2Q[/YT]

Sums it up.

Alvin Walton 10-25-2012 07:14 AM

Its a phrase someone coined before I was born.
Its an exremely outdated concept and really doesnt mean anything any more.

firstdown 10-25-2012 09:16 AM

[quote=Alvin Walton;956564]Its a phrase someone coined before I was born.
Its an exremely outdated concept and really doesnt mean anything any more.[/quote]

How the hell can the saying "The American Dream" be out dated and not mean anything any more?

Alvin Walton 10-25-2012 09:26 AM

[quote=firstdown;956573]How the hell can the saying "The American Dream" be out dated and not mean anything any more?[/quote]

Because of globalization and how much this country has changed.
Besides, I think the phrase/concept is silly. This isnt 1965 anymore.

dmek25 10-25-2012 03:02 PM

wanted the family, big house with the white picket fence. and dont forget the dog. had it all at one time

Chico23231 10-25-2012 03:09 PM

Its certainly doesnt mean what it used too. One dream isnt enough anymore, no one is satisfied. How much can you consume? is the better question.

firstdown 10-25-2012 04:53 PM

The American Dream is looking good!!!!

[IMG]http://www.2snaps.tv/files/images/julianne_hough_flag_two_2.large.jpg[/IMG]

TheMalcolmConnection 10-25-2012 05:18 PM

Tsk tsk, firstdown, we know what you're going to turn this into. ;)

Seriously though, the American Dream is just being happy with your life. I have too many friends and family constantly overwhelming themselves with being richer, with being in a huge house, with moving to that next location. It's just sad to me. My wife might even be one of those people and I try to keep her grounded.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I feel like I'm living MY American Dream. I'm married to my high school sweetheart, I own a home that I love, I work in a job I get up and am excited to go to every day (almost :)). Would I love more money? Sure. Do I wish there was more to do in this little town? Sure. Do I wish everything was 100% perfect in my life? Of course.

But I have better things to do than to think about what I could change/do to achieve that 100%.

Daseal 10-25-2012 05:28 PM

Townie TMC doesn't even know what he's missing.

firstdown 10-25-2012 05:32 PM

I'd have to say I'm also living the American dream. I have a great Wife, children, family, friends (both), and I make enough money we can live a confortable life. I'll never be rich but I really don't want or care to work my life away. I think the American Dream is what you want it to be and whats wrong with that as long as I'm not having to pay for it.

TheMalcolmConnection 10-25-2012 06:14 PM

[quote=Daseal;956767]Townie TMC doesn't even know what he's missing.[/quote]

You know somethin'? You can't be a Dollar Menu Millionaire in DC bitch!

CRedskinsRule 10-25-2012 06:51 PM

Funny thing is to a US citizen the American Dream is most likely some level of individual (or direct family) financial well being. To a European, the American Dream is most likely perceived as some degree of world policeman status. To an impoverished Central American or Mexican, the American Dream is most likely some level of stability in life, an ability to hold a job without threat of political backlash and provide the basics to an extended family. To an Islamic man the American Dream is most likely defined in the demeaning of his spiritual beliefs and promotion of an alternate Religion. Where ever you go in the world, the American Dream will mean something different to those who seek it out, for some it is a driving force to achieve more for their family, for others it really is seen as an oppressive expression of American idealism.

Personally, I think the American dream is that of a land where one man having lost everything, or been born with everything, can live without fear - from police or politician, tyranny or anarchy-, and strive to provide a life for those that are important to him regardless of his religious belief, his socio-economic status, or his genetic make up.

I don't know that anyone has achieved what I would consider the pure American Dream, but certainly many in this country take much of it for granted, or see only the negative limitations of life in the real world, but everyone can and should strive to make the American Dream a reality, not only for himself, but for everyone else.

To NC_Skins, I love Carlin, but if you believe that clip 100%, then I feel sorry for you. The US offers alot to all it's citizens, not based on caste or sect, not based only on the dollars(although certainly on both sides of the aisle there are those who would hold down others that they disagree with).

CRedskinsRule 10-25-2012 06:55 PM

Put another way: and to put another side to NC_Skins clip

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NAHTO-m6aE]Beyonce - Proud To Be An American /lyrics/ - YouTube[/ame]

los panda 10-25-2012 07:42 PM

to me it means that anyone has the opportunity to build their own wealth in any legal way possible. invent something, work at mcdonalds, play poker in vegas, start your own church, write, whatever you want. nothing is stopping you, you have a right to the top, only excuses can stop you.

this is coming from a straight, white man w no disabilities - take it for what it's worth.